Connor discusses his arrest, takes full responsibility

dan-connor1 Getty Images

Not everyone hides behind the shield of “pending legal proceedings.”

Giants linebacker Dan Connor spoke Sunday about his recent arrest for having a switchblade in his luggage at the Philadelphia International Airport.

“I was flying out to a wedding in Pittsburgh and had something in my bag, a pocket knife that I didn’t even know about,” Connor said, via Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPNNewYork.com.  “I hadn’t seen it in over a year.  I was a little shocked when they pulled it out.  It’s something I have to deal with now. . . .  I’m responsible for it and I’ll accept whatever punishment is handed out.”

Connor said he thought he had lost the “spring-loaded” knife while moving.

“They don’t want the bad publicity and I don’t want it on myself,” Connor said.  “Being a new guy here, I don’t want to put a scar or have a bad mark on a city that doesn’t even know me that well.  It’s just unfortunate.

“But at the same time, it’s my fault.  And I have to prove to everybody that I’m not that type of guy, a guy to get in trouble.  It was the first time I’ve been arrested, so pretty embarrassing for me.”

It’s embarrassing, but honorable.  Connor isn’t hiding behind constitutional protections aimed at ensuring innocent people aren’t wrongfully convicted.  He did it, he’s owning it, and he’s moving on.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Connor discusses his arrest, takes full responsibility”
  1. liquidgrammar says: Jul 28, 2013 3:36 PM

Well done, Dan Connor! We need more stand up people like this!

2. bostoncollie says: Jul 28, 2013 3:39 PM

Seems like a pretty honest mistake.

3. harrisonhits2 says: Jul 28, 2013 3:42 PM

And that’s why I start with an empty bag whenever I fly and make sure I didn’t leave or put anything in there that would result in an incident.

4. badkarma56 says: Jul 28, 2013 3:58 PM

Now if we can just get Aaron Hernandez to admit what HE has done wrong…………..

5. malkinrulez says: Jul 28, 2013 4:03 PM

Easy to respect a man who takes responsibility for his actions.

6. icdogg says: Jul 28, 2013 4:11 PM

Let’s be clear: they don’t routinely arrest people when they find a “pocket knife” in their bag. They make you either surrender the knife or you turn around and don’t go through the gate, and you can do something with the knife other than bring it on the plane (for example, you can mail it to yourself from the airport post office). This has happened to me personally (I surrendered it).

But this was a switchblade knife, and are illegal to carry in Philadelphia.
    ———————-
    Philadelphia – Carry of switchblades prohibited. See, PHILADELPHIA, PA., CODE § 10-810 (2006). Use or possession on public streets or on public property of any “cutting weapon”, defined as “[a]ny knife or other cutting instrument which can be used as a weapon that has a cutting edge similar to that of a knife” prohibited, with exception for “tool or instrument commonly or ordinarily used in a trade, profession or calling” while “actually being used in the active exercise of that trade, profession or calling.” See, id. at § 10-820. Violation penalty is minimum fine of $300 and minimum ninety day imprisonment.

7. atlfalcons2008 says: Jul 28, 2013 4:22 PM

It’s one thing to have a gun and another with a knife. Though against the law, Connor should not be chastised for something that 100% of honest people know it was an accident. Kudos to him for not making a bunch of excuses and simply owning up to the mistake.

8. ketch20too says: Jul 28, 2013 4:37 PM

Wait..he acted like a man and took responsibility for his actions? How very unAmerican

9. justintuckrule says: Jul 28, 2013 4:42 PM

Yeah. Leave that cowboy nonsense back in Texas. You’re on a big boy team now with real leadership and expectations.

10. jfiling says: Jul 28, 2013 5:04 PM

How exactly does anyone feel the moral obligation to give a “thumbs down” to the first comment?

11. stampnhawk says: Jul 28, 2013 5:29 PM

As with any trip to Pittsburgh, no matter if it’s for a wedding or a Kenny Chesney concert, carrying a knife is usually advisable.

12. bookofelisha10 says: Jul 28, 2013 6:12 PM

this is legit ALL it takes for a player to move on past an arrest- be honest, dont try to make 100 excuses bec it ends up to more and more questions, more and more articles and never dies down

that said if he gets any suspension for this it would be insane. plus im sure TSA changing their absurd minds on letting people bring knifes on then finally feeling the pressure of commons sense makes it that much more confusing.

13. 3kdad says: Jul 28, 2013 6:16 PM

It’s a good thing the wedding wasn’t in East LA.

14. derekturner356 says: Jul 28, 2013 8:00 PM

At least he isn’t making excuses

15. zn0rseman says: Jul 28, 2013 10:25 PM

It would not surprise me if New York had a ten year manditory minimum sentence for that.

16. harrypairotestes says: Jul 31, 2013 11:06 AM

He could not have handled it any better. Well done!!!