Skip to content

Mario Williams happy to be free from offseason distractions

Mario Williams AP

Bills defensive end Mario Williams spent part of his offseason engaged in a fight with his ex-fiancée about the return of a $785,000 engagement ring.

Williams filed a lawsuit in an attempt to compel Erin Marzouki to return the ring, which led her to release text messages that featured Williams talking about taking prescription painkillers and suicidal thoughts. Williams said those messages were blown out of proportion and the case continues on.

Williams said Saturday that it isn’t weighing too heavily on his mind as camp gets underway, however. Williams said several times that he was focused entirely on football and away from the distractions that plagued his offseason, a change that pleases him.

“Definitely,” Williams said, via Joe Buscaglia of WGR550.com. “Everything that’s happened has been unfortunate, but it is what it is and I can’t let that distract me in any way with how big this is for this city and for the fans. And that’s my mindset.”

With the Bills shifting to a new scheme under defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, Williams should continue to have plenty to keep his mind occupied in the weeks to come. He’s expected to move around the defense a lot and come at the quarterback from a variety of angles in hopes of improving on last year’s 10.5 sacks. Doing so won’t get him the ring or the $785,000 back, but it might set the stage for a more pleasant offseason next time around.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to “Mario Williams happy to be free from offseason distractions”
  1. clownsfan says: Jul 28, 2013 9:30 AM

    Sweet. Now he can focus all his energy on being an over-paid, mediocre defensive player.

  2. thegonz13 says: Jul 28, 2013 9:40 AM

    Just wondering… Why would anyone in his right mind give an $800,000 engagement ring?

  3. mrbigass says: Jul 28, 2013 11:11 AM

    STILL FUNNY……….

  4. gadzod says: Jul 28, 2013 12:38 PM

    If mediocre defensive player averages over 10 sacks a year, then I would please like more mediocre defensive players on my team.

  5. lewiscafarella says: Jul 28, 2013 1:57 PM

    It’s only cuz of the ridiculously large contract we signed him to ppl think he’s mediocre. Remember he did have 10.5 sacks last year, but signing a $100,000,000 contract, we expect him to get 15+ EVERY year. And we in the B-Lo certainly hope he does, or it will be considered to be a heist he pulled on us.

  6. bigblu73 says: Jul 28, 2013 4:45 PM

    Now I ain’t sayin’ she’s a golddigger but she ain’t messin’ wit’ no broke…….

  7. nyg88 says: Jul 29, 2013 6:54 AM

    can’t just go around giving an 800k engagement ring around, to the wrong women nonetheless…

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!