Reggie Bush: “I have a lot to prove and a lot of football left in me”

Reggie Bush AP

Reggie Bush hasn’t had the career people expected of him when he entered the NFL as the No. 2 pick in the 2006 draft, after a spectacular, Heisman Trophy-winning season at USC. But in some ways, Bush’s lack of production so far provides more reason to believe he can have a major impact in his new home of Detroit.

As Bush pointed out to the team’s website, with only 967 career carries, Bush doesn’t have the same kind of wear and tear on his body that most running backs have after seven seasons in the NFL.

I really didn’t get beat up early in my career,” Bush said. “The last two years in Miami was the first time I really experienced that 20 to 25 carry range. I feel good. I’ve really played injury free both seasons [in Miami].”

Bush still thinks his best football may be ahead of him.

“I still feel good,” Bush said. “I still feel like I have a lot to prove and a lot of football left in me and I’m just getting started.”

Perhaps Detroit will be the place where Bush becomes the player people expected him to be when he entered the NFL.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
43 Responses to “Reggie Bush: “I have a lot to prove and a lot of football left in me””
  1. unbiasfan says: Jul 28, 2013 4:02 PM

I feel bad for Reggie, Detroit is where people go to ruin their career

2. bigbosscrispy says: Jul 28, 2013 4:09 PM

Ball out like Barry foster and I will win my fantasy football championship Reggie. Do it for my kids damn it!!!

3. akboot says: Jul 28, 2013 4:09 PM

Poor guy. I might take a chance on him in fantasy though. Should see plenty of balls thrown his way.

4. Obama's Ballsack says: Jul 28, 2013 4:13 PM

“I haven’t really gotten beat up early in my career”

Has this guy even played a full season?

5. lks311 says: Jul 28, 2013 4:16 PM

This is likely the most compelling season of Detroit Lions football in 50 years. They are loaded with talent and potential and the key is can the coaches figure it out.

If so, it could be the start of something entirely special for a city that could really use a boost.

And, if not, it’ll be the refrain of “Same Old Lions” and they’ll be tearing it down with a whole new coaching staff. Either way, it should be “must see TV”.

6. brownsalwaysrebuilding says: Jul 28, 2013 4:17 PM

I, on the other hand, am happy for Reggie because he will be a major part of the Lions offense and the Lions have the potential to be a good team.

7. jerrygray721 says: Jul 28, 2013 4:22 PM

i thought he was overrated coming out of college he didn’t show a lot in N.O. but he impressed me as a dolphin and i hope miller can provide the type of production bush did well i hope for more than that but i will be very pleased if he just fills reggies shoes and of all the players out there that say this same type of thing i do believe he has a lot of football left in him and i wish him nothing but the best for the rest of his career

8. hockeytowninhabitant says: Jul 28, 2013 4:28 PM

Oh just shut up about detroit ruining careers, how’s Calvin’s career. All the hating needs to stop, and just let them play a freaking game without making assumptions

9. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Jul 28, 2013 4:28 PM

Ready for all the same haters who talked trash on Suh and Fairley, the best DT tandem in the league, to talk trash on Bush, a running back who has averaged over 1,000 yards per season for the last two seasons.
    Keep it coming guys we really don’t care. I do wonder why some of you are so hateful though.

10. beachsidejames says: Jul 28, 2013 4:34 PM

Reggie is a great player trying to do too much. Imo he’s best suited in a non primary back role.

11. wingz101 says: Jul 28, 2013 4:36 PM

I would be surprised if he ran the ball 20-25 times in Detroit. However, I would not be surprised if he touched the ball 20-25 times and ended the season with 1600 combined rec/running yards.

The Lions want the Bush from the New Orleans days. The guy that could run on occasion but more importantly the guy that could take a two yard dump off and turn it into a 60 yard TD. The ‘Jahvid Best’ replacement in their offense.

To be honest, his talent was wasted in Miami.

12. conormacleod says: Jul 28, 2013 4:45 PM

He will be fresh for years to come, because the Lions don’t run the ball.

13. thebigtim2012 says: Jul 28, 2013 4:48 PM

Reggie I think the reason you don’t have as much wear and tear on your body is your not an every down back. Sorry your just not that good. There have been a few fellas that have had great careers being 3rd down specialists. Kevin Faulk comes to mind. Accept your skill level and focus on that.

14. thefiesty1 says: Jul 28, 2013 5:09 PM

Too bad. The only thing worse than playing for Detroit is playing for Cleveland. Career ending move.

15. hawkstradamus says: Jul 28, 2013 5:24 PM

The book is already out on Reggie Bush, he was drafted three rounds too early. Maybe the lions will have the sense to line him up in the slot and get some good out of him.

16. zeeman911 says: Jul 28, 2013 5:36 PM

Reggie should be a top 10 pick in fantasy this year…

17. harrycanyon says: Jul 28, 2013 5:44 PM

Action not words. Players need to quit telling us about how great they are, and show us on the field.

18. securb2013 says: Jul 28, 2013 5:48 PM

Got scared there I thought this was another buttfumble story.

19. cardmagnet says: Jul 28, 2013 6:00 PM

He did not have a Heisman winning season, double check the NCAA record books ;).

20. igotgamenj says: Jul 28, 2013 6:09 PM

Reggie Bush is Soft

21. thechronicjoker says: Jul 28, 2013 6:12 PM

Reggie loved you as a Dolphin and hated to see you leave. Detroit is lucky to get such a real class player on and off the field.

22. soxpower says: Jul 28, 2013 6:13 PM

let’s see what ur legs have to say about this

23. metrocritical says: Jul 28, 2013 6:21 PM

Hear ye, Lion haters and apologists alike: True enough, the Detroit Lions have been the most dysfunctionally foolish organization in all of sports but not because of a hex or a jinx or a curse or because of building the football field on ancient Indian burial grounds. No, they have failed miserably and became laughingstocks because of years and years of poorly conceived front office choices and indefensibly dumb and reckless personnel decisions. That said, teams can reinvent themselves and turn things around if they hire the right people, develop sound policy, hire the right head coach to implement the strategy, draft the right players to execute the strategy and entice the right FAs to put them over the top. It obviously hasn’t happened here yet but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible. It’s not likely to be this year but moves toward increasing the talent pool don’t have to be met with derision or delusions from either side. Eventually, something remarkable could occur in Detroit and legitimate steps towards improvement should be met with cautious enthusiasm.

24. canetic says: Jul 28, 2013 6:25 PM

I don’t understand why the Dolphins let him go. He was productive and cheap. Lamar Miller can hit the big one but I didn’t seen anything that impressive last year from him. The Dolphins will be worse, the Lions will be better.

25. jprcox says: Jul 28, 2013 6:27 PM

I agree, Detroit should be a good team this year. Lets just hope the City can pay their electric bill so Ford Field will have some light.

26. hehateme2 says: Jul 28, 2013 7:06 PM

Reggie wasted his chance in Miami to prove he’s an “every down back.”
    He’ll disappear for games throughout the season but provide you a couple of unreal moments.

A good, not great player. Limited upside.

27. veetan says: Jul 28, 2013 8:02 PM

Life-long Saints fan here, stating it plainly:

NO REGGIE = NO SUPERBOWL.

Talk about Brees, Coach Payton, the turnovers created by that ’09 defense , all you want. But Reggie’s freakish athleticism unquestionably accounted for the difference in one or two narrow victories during that regular season, plus his TD in that SuperBowl probably couldn’t have been made by 95% of his peers.

Thus, I’ve never fully understood why some think his career has been good, but a little disappointing.

28. sfsugator says: Jul 28, 2013 8:05 PM

Reggie is underrated oh and he won a Super Bowl, keep hating haters, oh he won a heisman an a national title, lendale white thunder not even a pro anymore, REGGIE, REGGIE, REGGIE!,!,!!,!,

29. tahnoonzee says: Jul 28, 2013 8:17 PM

He got beat up pretty good from that vicious hit from the Philly corner Sheldon Brown on a swing pass from Brees….was the #1 – you got JACKED UP!

30. passthepigskin says: Jul 28, 2013 9:24 PM

To bad Reggie only decides to run hard ( & north south ) only a couple games a year. In those games he is great.
    BUT the rest of the time he dances around trying to avoid contact. In afact last season after the knee injury he was not even close to the same as the first couple games. He played scared, and that’s been his issue.

31. asseenonokra says: Jul 28, 2013 9:36 PM

Eagles fan still talking about that Sheldon Brown hit? It was good, but less than 5 minutes later Reggie was running circles around that D.

I still love Reggie. He’s going to thrive in that Detroit offense. As Megatron gets double and triple coverage, Reggie is gonna eat it up. Yea, like others here, I’m drafting him in fantasy, too.

32. detroit20iron says: Jul 28, 2013 9:43 PM

Of course unbiasfan is the first to comment. He dreams and obsesses over every article written about the Lions. Get a life guy.

33. dartwick says: Jul 28, 2013 10:33 PM

He hasnt been Emmit Smith or Peterson but he has actually been quite good IMO.

34. lionscometola says: Jul 28, 2013 10:55 PM

tahnoonzee says:
    Jul 28, 2013 8:17 PM

———-

Ya, you’re absolutely right… he did get jacked up. One of the biggest hits I’ve ever seen. But he took a few plays off to shake it off and came back in a few plays later and played the rest of the game.
    #heart

35. redbearwoodall says: Jul 29, 2013 12:10 AM

He didn’t do that well in NO because they had a running back committee, but he did manage a couple pretty good seasons in Miami. I think with a big-play-capable quarterback and the best receiver in the game, he has a real chance to thrive next year. He just needs to learn to play more consistently, and I think he could be a top-10 back next year.

36. bamboozle99 says: Jul 29, 2013 12:28 AM

That Sheldon Brown hit has ruined him.

37. steelers4385 says: Jul 29, 2013 2:28 AM

I dont think the lions have a shot at anything with shwartz at the helm. I cant stand him. And i havent liked him long before the harbaugh incident. He is a moron head coach. Trys to hard. But i do however think shwartz is a beast defensive coord. I dont see lions doing much as long as he runs the show. Just an opinion. I hope im proved wrong cause i have alot of sympathy for that team and its fan base.

38. unsportsmenmic says: Jul 29, 2013 6:03 AM

Reblogged this on UnSportsMenMic and commented:
    Well he proved to USC he was worth the House and car. He proved to Kim K he can lie “If I win a SuperBowl we will get married”. Bush proved that he is a better Running Back between the tackles than we thought, now he has to prove he can get the Lions over the hump.

39. jimmylions says: Jul 29, 2013 11:29 AM

If he can show the same kind of burst of speed that Javid Best had then Reggie will make fools out of defenses just like Javid Best did.

Obviously the Lions will run more (how could then run less?). The big thing is having a legit running threat when teams load up on the pass. Best showed that in those situations, once you’re past the defensive line its off to the races.

Reggie will have a great year – not sure if that will translate into being a leading fantasy back, but he’ll be a great real-world back.

40. mylionsroaring says: Jul 29, 2013 2:44 PM

Believe it or not the Lions might just be a good team this year. They have a legit QB, RB, WR, DT’s, LB, CB, S, SS, and are solid at LG, LT, TE, and are fair to average at DE’s, RT, RG, two LB’s, and one CB and of these Ansah, Slay, Levy, Hilliard, all have a chance to be pretty good.

41. mylionsroaring says: Jul 29, 2013 2:48 PM

All it will take is a couple big runs early and the balance will be set. Teams wont know how to guard us, Bush, or CJ. Obviously with CJ at receiver Bush will always have an open lane. If he finds it we will be a very good team, if he can’t we are 8-8 or below

42. beachsidejames says: Jul 29, 2013 2:49 PM

Reggie has gone for over 1000 yds once his entire career and has a rushing averaged of less than 50 yds a game his entire career

43. beachsidejames says: Jul 29, 2013 2:50 PM

Btw, the most rushing yards he EVER got as a pro was in Miami