Te’o bonds with teammate over swim lessons

Manti Te'o AP

With his college controversy slowly fading into the rearview mirror, Chargers linebacker Manti Te’o is beginning the climb back toward respect.

Teaching a teammate a potentially life-saving skill is another step in that process.

Over the summer, Te’o taught Chargers right tackle D.J. Fluker how to swim, after noticing him standing in the shallow end of the pool while he was swimming laps for a workout.

Fluker hadn’t been deeper since he was 4, and his mom plucked him out of the bottom of a pool he accidentally fell into.

“I was terrified of water,” Fluker said, via Michael Gehlken of U-T San Diego. “He was like, ‘Man, relax. I got you.’ ”

So Te’o held up his mammoth teammate in the water and began giving him lessons, eventually getting him to the point of not sinking.

“He said, ‘All right, I’m going to let you go,’ ” Fluker said. “I’m like, ‘Let me go? No, no, no, no, no.’ I just sank.”

“His head was still above the water,” Te’o said. “He just wasn’t as flat as he should have been.”

Keeping his own head above water to this point has been a challenge for Te’o, but he seems to be integrating himself well in the Chargers’ locker room.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
17 Responses to “Te’o bonds with teammate over swim lessons”
  1. laxman1944 says: Jul 28, 2013 8:11 AM

Good karma

2. ironman721 says: Jul 28, 2013 8:17 AM

Not a Charger or Notre Dame fan, but I hope this guy becomes successful. There are a lot more pro athletes that have done far worse and received less backlash. Good Luck! Now bring on football!!! Here we go Steelers! Here we go!

3. natelan69 says: Jul 28, 2013 8:54 AM

Cool story. I love how our players are nice guys. Sure, a Super Bowl here or there would be nice, but I love that our players are such a bright spot in the league every year.

4. norvturnersneck says: Jul 28, 2013 10:32 AM

I’m rooting for him. He has dealt with overkill from the media.

5. slick50ks says: Jul 28, 2013 11:07 AM

Too slow, too small, and as we all know, not that bright of a kid.

His future is VERY limited. He could have been a decent pick outside of the first three rounds. As a first rounder? Bust.

6. jdphx says: Jul 28, 2013 1:42 PM

Good story… Way to go D.J.

Props to both!

7. 619sdfan4life says: Jul 28, 2013 1:53 PM

Great story I hope Te’o has a great career

8. 619sdfan4life says: Jul 28, 2013 1:56 PM

Love to hear things like this… Hope these guys have a good year.

9. dasmol says: Jul 28, 2013 2:17 PM

I’m always amazed when I hear of adults that don’t know how to swim. It is a potentially life saving skill. Good for Te’o for passing it on.

10. 4ever85 (aka Butch DeadLift) says: Jul 28, 2013 3:11 PM

Fake blow-up doll GFs you bring home float on the water too, so Te’o has had experience with flotation.

11. sdsupersean says: Jul 28, 2013 7:57 PM

It’s nice to get good character stories once in a while that don’t involve DUI’s PED’s or murder.

12. 619sdfan4life says: Jul 28, 2013 9:01 PM

Slick50ks. I’m pretty sure Te’o is much faster then you. And his football IQ his one of the reasons he was drafted you don’t have 7 int’s if your a garbage player. And he wasn’t a first rounder bro.

Ironman721 thank you for being a true respectable football fan. Good to read other fans show respect to other teams and players despite being a fan of a different team. That’s a true fan.

13. busterhighmann says: Jul 29, 2013 3:29 AM

Bet he wears those funky Speedo slips, not that there’s, cough, cough, anything wrong with that.

All jokes aside, he’s going to need a monster mix of roids/hgh or he’ll get trucked in the nfl. Alabama destroyed him in the championship game.

14. joetoronto says: Jul 29, 2013 4:49 AM

natelan69 says:
    Jul 28, 2013 8:54 AM
    *********************************************
    This attitude says it all. It’s about winning rings, not being nice, cupcake.

SMH.

15. going4iton4th says: Jul 29, 2013 7:03 AM

Manti is a good teammate that unfortunately got in a bad situation. The guy is obviously a leader that had tried to put all the negative behind him—glad to see he’s moving on.

16. steelerben says: Jul 29, 2013 3:36 PM

Still a better love story than Twilight.

17. natelan69 says: Jul 29, 2013 5:25 PM

joetoronto says:
    Jul 29, 2013 4:49 AM
    natelan69 says:
    Jul 28, 2013 8:54 AM
    *********************************************
    This attitude says it all. It’s about winning rings, not being nice, cupcake.

SMH.
    —————————————

Sorry Joe, but the last time YOUR team won something, I wasn’t even born yet.