Mario Williams leaves Bills camp to get foot examined

Mario Williams AP

The evening practice for the Buffalo Bills on Monday took place with defensive end Mario Williams on the grounds.

According to Tim Graham of the Buffalo News, Williams left the Bills’ training camp facility at St. John Fisher College to get his sore foot looked at “off campus.” Williams was in uniform but did not take part in the team’s morning workout on Monday.

Bills head coach Doug Marrone confirmed that Williams was experiencing soreness in his foot but offered few additional details about the nature of the injury.

“His foot was sore,” Marrone said. “We’re not going to make any mistakes about it. We’re going to make sure that everything’s fine. Our doctor’s are evaluating him. Where he is or where he goes, I’m not going to talk about that.”

Marrone said the injury wasn’t detected in Williams’ physical prior to the start of training camp and wouldn’t say whether the examination was by team doctors or a physician not employed by the team.

A league source told PFT’s Mike Florio that Williams has soreness in the foot but there isn’t much concern over the injury at this time.

Still, the Bills would prefer to see their highest paid player on the field. Until that time comes, Marrone says he’s only worrying about the guys who are practicing.

“I don’t really try to concentrate on all that,” Marrone said. “…You guys have to remember and I hope you appreciate where I am. My focus is on the players that are on the field.”

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Mario Williams leaves Bills camp to get foot examined”
  1. drewzducks says: Jul 29, 2013 11:54 PM

That lofty goal of third place in the AFC East may have just become a bit less attainable.

2. aaroncurryisbust says: Jul 29, 2013 11:55 PM

I heard Rex Ryan was the foot expert examining it.

3. EJ says: Jul 30, 2013 12:01 AM

So far, I like everything about Coach Doug Marrone. His no BS approach, desire for full accountability and his absolute love for the game.
    Respect.

4. thegreatgabbert says: Jul 30, 2013 12:08 AM

Most expected he would leave camp to get his head examined.

5. petehemlock says: Jul 30, 2013 6:00 AM

Buffalo area Doctor: Mario, That soreness you’re feeling is what it feels like to be made of glass. It’s also a side-effect of falling short of expectations. In fact, one could say the soreness is a manifestation of deep-seated guilt from being overpaid through misrepresentation, but let’s run some tests anyway.

6. alewatcher says: Jul 30, 2013 6:44 AM

Mario Williams injured yet again? Glad to see the excuse machine is already running.

7. theryanfitztragics says: Jul 30, 2013 8:15 AM

Mario Williams seems really good at keeping his injuries to himself in Buffalo… First his wrist last year, and now his foot. I demand a $100 million refund!!

8. CKL says: Jul 30, 2013 10:38 AM

I don’t have any proof but it’s starting to sound like this dude is a malingerer and or soft. If I were a Bills fan I’d be pissed. Sounds like your HC won’t put up with baloney though so that’s a good thing.

9. jrcoop says: Jul 30, 2013 5:12 PM

Why did he wait until the start of camp to have it looked at? It doesn’t sound as if it was related to any practice since camp had just begun. This seems to be an annual training camp tradition for him.