Omar Gaither returns to the Raiders

Oakland Raiders v San Diego Chargers Getty Images

After five months of free agency, Omar Gaither is back in Oakland.

The Raiders announced today that Gaither, who played the second half of the 2012 season in Oakland, has signed with the team again.

The 29-year-old Gaither was released by the Texans at the end of the preseason last year and was out of work for the start of the regular season, but once he signed on with the Raiders he quickly began to contribute, and he ended up starting four of the last five games of the season. Now he’s back in the fold.

Gaither was drafted by the Eagles in 2006 and spent five seasons in Philadelphia. He also spent one season in Carolina.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
31 Responses to “Omar Gaither returns to the Raiders”
  1. goraidersgospurs says: Jul 29, 2013 5:27 PM

I just wanna say nice photo!!!

2. natelan69 says: Jul 29, 2013 5:29 PM

Oh yeah, this team is definitely going to win at least 2 or 3 games this year!

Right Joe?

3. donny1rodriguez says: Jul 29, 2013 5:35 PM

oy. I thought Jared Gaither joined The Nation for a minute there.

4. humb0lt says: Jul 29, 2013 5:43 PM

Raiders fans should be thinking at least four wins this season.

5. pftalk says: Jul 29, 2013 5:49 PM

What position does OG play?

6. ambitoos says: Jul 29, 2013 5:52 PM

As a Charger fan I would like to thank the Raiders for being who they are. Losers living on past glories.

7. bombayjon says: Jul 29, 2013 5:54 PM

goraidersgospurs

says:Jul 29, 2013 5:27 PMI just wanna say nice photo!!!

——————————————————————-

Good call. I think I found my next profile pic.

8. jgedgar70 says: Jul 29, 2013 5:57 PM

pftalk says:
    Jul 29, 2013 5:49 PM
    What position does OG play?
    _____
    Linebacker. We were hoping for big things from him when he signed with Carolina because he’s from this area. Unfortunately, he signed the year the football gods determined every linebacker on the Carolina roster was going to get hurt and go on IR.

9. hendeeze says: Jul 29, 2013 5:58 PM

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result.

10. nobostobo says: Jul 29, 2013 6:05 PM

ambitoos says:
    Jul 29, 2013 5:52 PM
    _______

You guys wouldn’t know this, but people tend to do that when they have past glories to enjoy.

11. radrntn says: Jul 29, 2013 6:12 PM

can’t hurt to add some competition along o-line… Beside Valdheer and Wiz, I don’t think anybody is a lock.

12. raidernation81 says: Jul 29, 2013 6:12 PM

As a Chargers fan you have No past glories to live on! The Raiders may have been down since 2002 but what have the Chargers done in that time? Nothing except start seasons off hot then Choke down the stretch.

13. radrntn says: Jul 29, 2013 6:18 PM

same can be said at LB…lol

14. johnthehillboy says: Jul 29, 2013 6:55 PM

Is he a PR guy, a trainer, water boy, or does he have a position on the field?

15. natelan69 says: Jul 29, 2013 7:29 PM

To those claiming the Chargers have no glory in the past…

First off, we won a Championship way before you guys.

Second off, all of your championships were before I was born, so they mean as much to me as the Chargers’ championship I referenced above… SQUAT.

In my 28 years of life, and particularly the last 10+ years that I’ve been following the NFL… The Raiders have been the biggest trash can of a team I have ever seen… Worse than the Browns and Chiefs. Worse than my Chargers.

You keep living on “Past Glories” and you’ll never be a good team again.

16. efriedo says: Jul 29, 2013 7:46 PM

humb0lt says: Jul 29, 2013 5:43 PM

Raiders fans should be thinking at least four wins this season.

_________________________

Humboldt is thinking, “When is my mom gonna let me move out of her basement?

17. efriedo says: Jul 29, 2013 7:48 PM

natelan69 says: Jul 29, 2013 7:29 PM

To those claiming the Chargers have no glory in the past…

First off, we won a Championship way before you guys.

You keep living on “Past Glories” and you’ll never be a good team again.

________________

Nate, you are forgetting that the Raiders have been to the Super Bowl in your lifetime, and WAY more recently that the Chargers have. Which, by the way, was the chargers ONLY Super Bowl appearance…

18. rubicon202 says: Jul 29, 2013 8:00 PM

@natelan69
    dude that championship that doesn’t matter was won by the Chargers was before the AFL NFL merger and it was Al who made that merger happen. You should take time and read up on the history of the Chargers, as a matter of fact, the last time you got close to a SB was in 1994. Keep the corny jokes coming, we’ve heard them all so please try to be original.

19. natelan69 says: Jul 29, 2013 8:18 PM

rubicon202 says:
    Jul 29, 2013 8:00 PM
    @natelan69

——————

Uhhhm… You didn’t tell me anything I didn’t know, so what history lessons am I supposed to learn…?

I didn’t say the Chargers have a Super Bowl victory, I said a championship.

The people who need a history lessons are the throngs of Raiders fans who incessantly and inaccurately claim that the Chargers have never won anything, when in fact, we won our championship first.

And as for Super Bowl appearances in my lifetime, the Raiders and Chargers are both 0-1.

20. demolition510 says: Jul 29, 2013 8:52 PM

Www. Glorify the past dot com.

Look it up. Lol.

21. raiderapologist says: Jul 29, 2013 9:05 PM

natelan69 says: Jul 29, 2013 8:18 PM

I didn’t say the Chargers have a Super Bowl victory, I said a championship.
    ————
    I have never been one to say the Chargers have never won anything. But they haven’t won anything since well before the merger. If you have only been watching football for 10 years, and you believe that is all that matters, you should probably just shut up.

22. war27 says: Jul 29, 2013 9:15 PM

Solid player that came cheap. I figured they try and keep him around earlier.

23. raidermick3sb3rings says: Jul 29, 2013 9:31 PM

natelan69 says:Jul 29, 2013 8:18 PM

rubicon202 says:
    Jul 29, 2013 8:00 PM
    @natelan69

——————

I didn’t say the Chargers have a Super Bowl victory, I said a championship.

———————————————–

Nate…First of all your lifetime means nothing to anyone. Just thought I would clear that up for you. Nothing personal…

Second, Let’s just talk this century. I Think that is about as current as you can get.

The Raiders have gone to 2 conference championships and if not for a bad call in NE would have been to three this century.

We have been to the SB this century. Not many teams can say they have been to the show this century. As a matter of fact, we are the only team in our division that has gone to the show this century.

Want more current? Okay, lets skip to this decade…in 2010 the Raiders (Kings of the AFC WEST) swept the entire division. Correct me if I am wrong, but did not your current Chokers head coach just come out and say your goal is to win division games. Well the Raiders did that in 2010.
    Then, in 2011 – the year the great Al Davis passed- . The Raiders at one time were 7-4 that season before the league leading rusher and total yards leader in the NFL DMC went down along with the Raiders starting QB.

No matter what you say or when you say it, it still a fact that Al Davis is the only owner in the entire NFL to have his team in the conference championship game in every decade since the inception of the SB in the 60’s (that decade was called the AFL Championship).

Past glories, yeah we have a few. AL, once again in this new century, had accomplished more than any of the other three owners in the AFC WEST.

Just simply, the facts as you requested.

Now let me get back to the AFC title game of 1980 – hey it says here it was played in San Diego…LOL!!!!

Late…

24. raiderfankirk says: Jul 29, 2013 10:02 PM

Oh Ya! Would like to see what the Burnett brothers bring?

25. therolandobottom says: Jul 29, 2013 10:08 PM

The Chargers are completely irrelevant in the annuals of football.

26. joetoronto says: Jul 30, 2013 5:26 AM

It’s all about the rings and you Chargers fans don’t have any, period.

27. natelan69 says: Jul 30, 2013 11:22 AM

raidermick3sb3rings says:
    Jul 29, 2013 9:31 PM
    natelan69 says:Jul 29, 2013 8:18 PM

rubicon202 says:
    Jul 29, 2013 8:00 PM
    @natelan69

——————

I didn’t say the Chargers have a Super Bowl victory, I said a championship.

———————————————–

———————————-

I stopped reading when you started crying about Tom Brady.

28. radrntn says: Jul 30, 2013 1:01 PM

hey natelyn this is a raiders topic, why dont you go to a chargers topic, and then you can be the only one to post something there. If you have the time re -log in with your other username humbolt, and you can have a conversation amongst yourself…choo choo!!!

29. natelan69 says: Jul 30, 2013 2:08 PM

radrntn says:
    Jul 30, 2013 1:01 PM
    ————————–

First off, let’s count all the gang bangers commenting on the Chargers’ posts from their prison internet terminals…

Second off, I do not use any other screen names. Humbolt and I are two different Chargers fans, and possibly the only Chargers fans, which I freely admit.

30. efriedo says: Jul 30, 2013 3:25 PM

Poor little charger fans. They had Drew Brees and let him walk. They had LT but couldn’t win in the playoffs while he sulked on the bench with a little bruise on his leg. They had VJax and let him walk because he didn’t want to play for a franchise that has never and will never win a super bowl. They kept their hopes high when they fired Marty but only managed to win one playoff game. Must be tough going one-and-done year after year and then watching all your good players leave. Now the window is closed and all you can do is call out Raider fans for staying faithful to their fallen franchise. Meanwhile, nobody likes the Chargers anymore.

But hey, have a nice losing season and better luck in 2014…

31. raidermick3sb3rings says: Jul 30, 2013 3:56 PM

natelan69 says:

———————————————–
    Ok, lets count…I am waiting. You made statement.Where’s your evidence to back it up.

See that’s the difference between Raider fans and choker fans…We just state facts. Not the sand box BS

Oh and BTW, while we have been going back and forth here…The Chokers still have not won anything.

Late…