SNF will have 360-degree red zone views for Cowboys home games

Gaudelli Getty Images

When NBC broadcasts a pair of Cowboys games on Sunday Night Football this season, fans at the game and watching from home will enjoy a new wrinkle.

Via the Associated Press, NBC will install a system that permits 360-degree rotating angles of all action in the red zone and through the back of each end zone.

“You can now move all the way around the play without changing the camera angle,” Sunday Night Football producer Fred Gaudelli told the Television Critics Association over the weekend.  Gaudelli, pictured to the left of NBC Sports Group Chairman Mark Lazarus (yes, I know how to suck up), compared it to the camera views available in video games.

The FreeD system, short for free-dimensional video, will be used on Sunday, September 8 when the Cowboys host the Giants.  It also will be used for the Redskins-Cowboys game on October 13, and for the October 5 Arizona State-Notre Dame game to be played at AT&T Stadium.

The system also will be used for in-stadium replays during all of the team’s 2013 home games.

Because installation takes a full month, NBC selected a venue that would be used multiple times this season.  Given the manner in which the NFC East has played out the last two years, there’s a chance that yet another Cowboys home game will end up on NBC, via flex scheduling.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
23 Responses to “SNF will have 360-degree red zone views for Cowboys home games”
  1. YouMadCauseImStylingOnYou says: Jul 29, 2013 4:25 PM

The one lasting tribute to the XFL, the skywire camera system.

That was truly one of the greatest visual innovations in the history of the sport.

2. twilson962 says: Jul 29, 2013 4:34 PM

YES! 360 degrees of Romo throwing picks! Awesome!!! 360 degrees of Jerry Face-lift getting angrier & angrier.

I LOVE IT

3. jerrysglassescleaner says: Jul 29, 2013 4:40 PM

Only the best for Dallas. We are the #1 in raking in money. We have to pony up for the rest of the sorry teams that cant hold their own and we still get hated on. Lol!!! Go Cowboys!!

4. mrlaloosh says: Jul 29, 2013 4:42 PM

I still say the view from my LazyBoy with my craft brews and in my unmentionables looking at my 60″ LED HD is much better. Certainly a heck of a lot cheaper. Sadly, get ready for PPV with the NFL. It’s coming. Just as soon as the NFL has exhausted all the public money it can squeeze from the taxpayers. Sad,really.

5. noring4youstill says: Jul 29, 2013 4:46 PM

You’ll get up close and personal views of Romo’s picks for scores and cowboys not getting in the endzone. Should be exciting

6. twilson962 says: Jul 29, 2013 4:51 PM

jerrysglassescleaner says: Jul 29, 2013 4:40 PM

———————————————-

WE? What do you mean ‘WE’? Do you work for the cowboys? What part of the organization are you responsible for?

We??? hahahaha

7. 737driver69 says: Jul 29, 2013 4:51 PM

360 degrees view to distract the viewers from the actual ineptitude and total garbage of the weekly Cowgurls product…..

8. bordner says: Jul 29, 2013 4:51 PM

mrlaloosh says:
    Jul 29, 2013 4:42 PM

———————————
    I’ll gladly take PPV to see my favorite team at my out-of-market home! I only have a 55″ LED HDTV, but I’d rather watch the game on that vs. having to go to the local sports bar and watch the game without sound because the local team is playing at the same time. And they are currently both preferable to having to ditch my cable, get DirecTV and sign up for the ticket.

Bring on PPV! Nothing sad about that to me!

9. zillabeast says: Jul 29, 2013 5:04 PM

Didn’t CBS do this with the Giants-Ravens Super Bowl 12 years ago? Why didn’t the technology take off back then? I can remember it coming in handy for a couple of endzone replays.

10. 737driver69 says: Jul 29, 2013 5:10 PM

mrlaloosh says:
    Jul 29, 2013 4:42 PM

———————————

Bring on PPV! Nothing sad about that to me!
    ……………………………………………………………………..
    mrlaloosh

I am sure you are ready to pay an average of $80 bucks per game on PPV, have fun buddy. How do I know that, got a friend who works for this PPV scammed TV, for years, and that is how they work the system, the more subscribers the more cost to the viewers…….

11. txtuff says: Jul 29, 2013 5:11 PM

YES! Get to see the Cowboys lose in 360!

12. Advanced Strength Training Programs says: Jul 29, 2013 5:23 PM

Reblogged this on Kick Ass Fitness and commented:
    Go Cowboys!

13. justintuckrule says: Jul 29, 2013 5:26 PM

Cowbois’ fans will love to see the 360 up close degrees of Cruz’ salsa gyrations.

14. whitecastleisafoodgroup says: Jul 29, 2013 5:26 PM

Goes to show there’s nothing else to report on for the Cowboys even though camp started.

Next big news will be in 2014: Lovie Smith will be the next head coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

15. haminator says: Jul 29, 2013 5:52 PM

I want to know how the cowboys have two Sunday night games?!?!?!

16. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jul 29, 2013 6:04 PM

Reminds me of the Rodney Dangerfield joke,
    ” to spice up my marriage I had mirrors put on the walls and ceilings of our bedroom. Now I got 20 different views of my wife’s headache.”

17. jerrysglassescleaner says: Jul 29, 2013 6:08 PM

The Star is the big money maker in the NFL and up there in the county. U haters hating but fail to see that Dallas can’t keep all that money and have to pony up the nfl teams who lack Jerry Jones business brilliance. Pray the salary cap is in! Dallas needs to be expose like this more so we can keep raking in money to support your crappy team.

18. profish13 says: Jul 29, 2013 7:13 PM

jerrysglassescleaner says: Jul 29, 2013 6:08 PM

—————————————————————-

Yea Im sure the Giants have trouble making money and need Jerry Jones to stay afloat. Not like New York is a big market or anything.

19. thedcunit says: Jul 29, 2013 8:32 PM

Nothing than a 360 degree view of Hailing to the Redskins!!!!!!!!

20. vleober says: Jul 29, 2013 11:33 PM

The writing is on the wall. Pick romo and murray for your fantasy team. Belie this.
    You will remember this post haters.

21. the3taveren says: Jul 30, 2013 9:49 AM

Gods I would have loved to have had last years Thanksgiven Day scalping of the Cowgirls available with 360 views of all of the TDs the Skins put up in that game.

Of course do you really need 360 view of Aldrick Robinson, Pierre Garcon, or Niles Paul scoring wide open TDs or the ageles Cowgirl killer Santana Moss hanging another TD around their necks.

A 360 view of Afred Morris doing his baseball swing after scoring another TD would have been kind of cool.

22. bpayton52 says: Jul 30, 2013 3:45 PM

seeing all the idiots hate on dallas makes me feel that much better about being a life long fan of them. i dont want those douches cheering for them.

23. peoplesrepublic0fdabayarea says: Jul 30, 2013 6:00 PM