Doug Marrone already salty with local media

Doug Marrone AP

Bills coach Doug Marrone hasn’t lost a game yet in the NFL (or won one), and he’s already showing a little strain with the local media.

Marrone did not care for a line of questioning about the mysterious absence of the team’s highest-paid player — defensive end Mario Williamsand fired back at a reporter who continued to ask.

Tim Graham of the Buffalo News provides the play-by-play (with video of the exchange), explaining that Marrone didn’t care for the insinuation he was withholding information about Williams’ condition.

Williams passed his physical, and dressed but didn’t participate in practice Sunday. He left Monday to get checked out, but was absent for a second straight day after sitting out with a foot injury, and Marrone said he had no update.

After some unrelated questions, more attempts to figure out where Williams was and when he’d return raised Marrone’s hackles.

“I’m going to say this. I want to say something, and then I’ll let you say your piece so we’re all on the same page,” Marrone said. “I’m a straight shooter. You could ask anyone that’s ever known me from when I was a kid. I’m shooting you straight, OK? I understand you have a job to do. I have an appreciation for it. . . .

“I get frustrated, honestly, when it gets to a point where I feel like I’ve tried to explain myself and how I handle the injuries, and I’ve answered the questions, and you keep coming at me, all right?”

While there are many fine professional reporters in Western New York, it’s no insult to suggest it’s not the most high-pressure media market in the league.

Permalink 63 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
63 Responses to “Doug Marrone already salty with local media”
  1. eaglesw00t says: Jul 30, 2013 3:14 PM

lol…thank god he didnt go with a higher profile team like Philadelphia

2. ballboy48 says: Jul 30, 2013 3:14 PM

Isn’t this pretty much the same Media he dealt with in Syracuse?

3. justintuckrule says: Jul 30, 2013 3:15 PM

If he’s reacting like on day 2 of training camp, I feel bad for the media come November when they’re 3-8.

4. sourdoughsam says: Jul 30, 2013 3:15 PM

Watched the clip of this portion of the interview and I am now a Doug Marrone fan.

5. fireeyes111 says: Jul 30, 2013 3:16 PM

Trust me, no one is concerned about Marrone being rattled by the local media (or what passes for media in Buffalo).

The local reporting crew, excepting a choice few, are well-known to be vapid, self-important know-it-alls who’ve made a living bashing the local sports teams from any angle they can find. Negativity is what sells in a town with historically bad teams, and they go far out of their way to be as negative as possible.

Not even the fans in Buffalo like them, save the fatalistic, mouth-breathing whackos who call the WGR Whiner Line.

6. wny49er says: Jul 30, 2013 3:16 PM

WTF Marrone, done screw this up!

7. mdippong26 says: Jul 30, 2013 3:17 PM

The press sucks. They’re annoying and they just ask the dumbest questions. Screw em

8. jwil007 says: Jul 30, 2013 3:17 PM

I like Marrone already…He wants to take a Bill Belicheck approach…Nothing wrong with it from me….Get tired of the hack reporter looking for a story by asking the question 50 different ways like he is an agent for the FBI….Give it up already…Respect the coaches answers and move on…If you are worried about getting answers for this story then you need to worry about your job…. Marrone wins this 1

9. touchdownroddywhite says: Jul 30, 2013 3:18 PM

Poor Bills’ fans. I wish you luck, but we all know even with all the distractions and a lack of receivers on the Pats, there’s no way Buffalo takes this division any time soon.

10. len462 says: Jul 30, 2013 3:19 PM

Well, reporters are idiots. How many times can a guy be asked the same question before he gets annoyed? Have you ever seen a NFL coach in action? Most of these guys run pretty hot. They yell all day at 6′ 5″ 270 pound men. Think he’s worried about telling some nerd with a pen and notepad to buzz off? I wish more would do the same.

11. elflappo says: Jul 30, 2013 3:19 PM

“And whether Williams is hurt or not, the greater concern for the Bills is probably that the head coach they just hired is getting so rattled so early in his rookie camp.”

Rattled? Try again. This was a guy in control of the situation and who wasn’t going to let a muckracker derail the presser. Kudos to Marrone for putting his foot down.

BTW, the reporter is the same guy who got clowned by EJ at camp arrival when he stammered out a loaded question.

Meanwhile, another chump out of Rochester is calling Marrone a liar. And these guys wonder why out of town and national reporters constantly scoop the local guys on Bills news.

12. expertop says: Jul 30, 2013 3:19 PM

I love it when someone feels the need to tell you what kinda guy he is. A little defensive, Doug?

13. talkingproud says: Jul 30, 2013 3:19 PM

Sounds like he is setting the boundaries early on. I can respect that.

Buffalo media can be relentless and it’s a good thing that he let it be known early that he will not tolerate constant badgering from hacks trying to get under his skin.

Kudos Coach Marrone!

14. hyzers says: Jul 30, 2013 3:19 PM

LOL

15. truthfactory says: Jul 30, 2013 3:22 PM

He might be setting the tone that he’s no pushover. If Belichek does this you’re writing an article of how great and clever it was for him to put the guy in his place.

16. wheels579 says: Jul 30, 2013 3:23 PM

I happen to live in Western NY, and there really aren’t many “fine professional reporters” around here. Just many who think they are.

17. blacknole08 says: Jul 30, 2013 3:23 PM

I have no problem with how Marrone handled the situation. Some of these reporters seem to have no problem trying to get underneath a guy’s skin so that they can further their career/agenda.

Williams is probably hurt — who knows — but even still if Marrone answered the question let that be the answer.

18. losangelesbillsofbuffalo says: Jul 30, 2013 3:23 PM

As a diehard Bills fan who has lived in Buffalo and currently resides in Cleveland (and has resided here for some time), I can tell you one thing: the effect of the local media – in small market cities of teams who haven’t won in a while with fan bases chock full of diehard fans – do only negative to the teams’ future ability to win football games; it scavenges off the years of pain and misery of the people who want only for their team to have success.

19. screenpass says: Jul 30, 2013 3:24 PM

Yeah, this isn’t going to end well.

20. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: Jul 30, 2013 3:24 PM

STRESS!!! Welcome to the NFL…Not For Long if you get the media against ya.

21. steelbloggin says: Jul 30, 2013 3:28 PM

Salty: Don’t ye be sullying me good name and I’ll tell ye the truth about me crew, savvy?

22. captainwisdom8888 says: Jul 30, 2013 3:28 PM

There’s not a single human on the face of the earth that enjoys answering the same question over…and over…

At some point during the questioning, you have to set aside the whole “I’m just doing my job, thing,” and take a hint when you get one! Marrone made it very clear, very early, that he DID NOT have any significant news to report concerning the health of Mario Williams. That’s your cue as a member of the media to ask him something, anything, that doesn’t involve the health of Mario Williams.

23. teejayss says: Jul 30, 2013 3:28 PM

LOL..if he’s mad now, wait till they’re 2 and 6 mid season including their annual beatdown from the Jets..

24. cobrala2 says: Jul 30, 2013 3:28 PM

“Marrone then apparently challenged the reporter to call a third-down play, a bizarre request, considering said reporter does not call plays for a living and didn’t have a playbook to refer to.”

I can only imagine that only sounds bizarre if you never played football.

25. harrisonhits2 says: Jul 30, 2013 3:29 PM

Wow how funny. No coach in the NFL tells all, especially about injuries. Of all the things to get his panties in a bunch for lol.

If Marrone is really that thin skinned he won’t last long in Buffalo.

26. dynaco says: Jul 30, 2013 3:29 PM

Didn’t Tim Grahm brake both his legs in a car accident recently?

27. sschmiggles says: Jul 30, 2013 3:34 PM

Lol, the season hasn’t even started yet and this guy is already cracking.

Just imagine him trying to handle pre-Super Bowl press conferences for one of the NYC teams, he’d completely lose it.

28. gudy2shoes says: Jul 30, 2013 3:36 PM

Didn’t Russell Wilson light these fools up for 57 points last year? Go Hawks!

29. sschmiggles says: Jul 30, 2013 3:37 PM

_________________________

Belichick never does this. He repeatedly says “We’re just focused on the players who are here,” until the reporters give up.

He never gets visibly, audibly emotional, but I’m sure it serves your persecution complex well to imagine that he does.

30. mmarm300 says: Jul 30, 2013 3:38 PM

if you saw the interview, this article would not have been written. The questions from the reporter were absurd and redundant. He answered the question about Mario Williams multiple times, “he had no information”. I’m surprised the reporter even has a job. Marrone gave the answer any coach would have given. If the reporter had a brain that processed memory, Marrone’s first answer would have been sufficient. To make a article about him getting rattled is ridiculous.

31. lflib69 says: Jul 30, 2013 3:41 PM

Why oh Why does every article, whether it’s about the Bills, the Jets, or the Saints, but NOT the Patriots, have reader comments about BB?? It’s almost laughable…it’s like you people eat, sleep, and drink BB Ridiculous

32. justinnaps says: Jul 30, 2013 3:44 PM

To say there are many “fine professional reporters” in Western New York is laughable. Most of them are self-absorbed pricks who just look for anything that they can use to possibly bash the local teams.

33. joemac1114 says: Jul 30, 2013 3:52 PM

Well time will tell what Marrone does. However, observation has already told me that many reporters are self-important idiots.

34. heyguru1969 says: Jul 30, 2013 3:55 PM

Marrone did great there in watching the clip. Moron (the reporter), eh, not so much. Oftentimes reporters go out of their way to disprove the old adage, “There is no such thing as a stupid question.”

35. Patskrieg dot com says: Jul 30, 2013 4:01 PM

I’ve got the rest of the season to root against Marrone, but he’s dead on here. The question was dumb and the reporter deserved a pie in the face.

36. kh693 says: Jul 30, 2013 4:04 PM

Rattled? C’mon Darin Gannt do your homework before you take a pot shot at Marrone. Seems to me a certain HOF to be GM told reporters and fans who were questioning him early in his career to “GET OUT OF TOWN” in this same market. I guess he was rattled then too, but he and Levy went on to change the negative losing culture that existed in Buffalo during that era.

37. thegreatgabbert says: Jul 30, 2013 4:22 PM

The third down call by the reporter went for an 87 yard touchdown, but was nullified because Marrone threw his challenge flag on the field in frustration.

38. pzkslc says: Jul 30, 2013 4:23 PM

Press conferences in Sports;
    “We” after a win
    “I ” after a loss
    “We’ve got a great group of guys this year” during training camp.

39. buddysguys says: Jul 30, 2013 4:23 PM

the reporter was John Warow who normally is not a complete hack like that. Very suprised he kept pushing for answers that were going to be given.

the need for the other media to ask the same question was just not needed but if your Tim Graham it was needed becuase he is by far the worse reporter we have in Buffalo.

H has been on Williams case since he got here. All becuase he is the highest paid athleet in Buffalo. Which is what is needed to get any player with any type of talent to come here via FA.

The team sucking is 50% of the problem for attracting FAs, the media is the other 50%

40. yanksbills says: Jul 30, 2013 4:35 PM

I hope Marrone ended it by kicking the reporter in the balls.

41. teejayss says: Jul 30, 2013 4:39 PM

denial is not just a river in egypt.. whats the Jets record vs. buffalo the last decade?

42. jrcoop says: Jul 30, 2013 4:42 PM

Is it just frustration with the media, or could it be more about the player in question.

43. teejayss says: Jul 30, 2013 4:44 PM

hint: 14 and 8…LOL..can you say “OWN”?

44. dexterismyhero says: Jul 30, 2013 4:55 PM

3rd down play?

Punt!!!!

45. bdickey33 says: Jul 30, 2013 4:56 PM

justintuckrule says: Jul 30, 2013 3:15 PM

——————————————————-

Seriously? People feel bad for the media trying to make a coach snap. He was obviously baiting him and he got what he was looking for. Why would you feel bad for them?

46. no1billsfan says: Jul 30, 2013 4:57 PM

I’ll take the Marrone approach on this matter over the way Gailey or Jauron would have responded, which is “I don’t know, I’ll have to go back and watch the tape to answer what happened to Mario”…

47. hehateme2 says: Jul 30, 2013 5:39 PM

Not ready for Prime Time. Big surprise.

48. bobzilla1001 says: Jul 30, 2013 5:53 PM

Doug Marrone won all those games and National Championships at Syracuse. He’s perfect for the NFL…
    The Doug Marrones are the reason Bill Belichick has found success in the AFC East, the Siberia of NFL coaches. Belichick found things a little more difficult when he was in the AFC Central, which featured Cowher, Coughlin and Fisher.

49. mikeyfins says: Jul 30, 2013 5:58 PM

Marrone couldn’t handle the Syracuse media which consisted of 2 reporters at one paper (literally…no joke)!!

He has no chance of surviving in the NFL. None. Everyone in Syracuse knew this and laughed at this hire.

50. 737driver69 says: Jul 30, 2013 6:03 PM

Dougy, please take a chill pill, wait until Bills becoming a league bottom dwellers and the laughing stock again…..

51. pftbillsfan says: Jul 30, 2013 6:32 PM

As a Buffalo can, the reporters are regarded locally as jokes especially Graham after the whole Ray Lewis murder victim mother story. They’re hacks

52. wwwmattcom says: Jul 30, 2013 7:05 PM

As a Bills fan who lives in NJ. When I visit WNY I don’t particularly enjoy reading the “news”.

53. theuglitruth says: Jul 30, 2013 7:11 PM

You think this is tough….wait until the losing streak. Let’s see what your made of then!

54. mlblogsbufnyfan says: Jul 30, 2013 7:19 PM

Marrone better get used to “testy” news conferences especially considering the number of losses the Bills will be on the receiving end of this year (and the years to come while he is coach)

55. majbobby says: Jul 30, 2013 7:41 PM

I will also go on record. When it is all said and done. Marrone will have a better Win/Loss record in his career as a HC in the NFL than Chip Kelly will.

56. dchetz says: Jul 30, 2013 7:46 PM

Of course he was salty… they peppered him with questions.

57. lakermetskins says: Jul 30, 2013 7:53 PM

All you media types stick together. For once, I’d like to stick 25 microphones in a reporter’s face and ask him the same question 25 different ways.

My all-time favorite interviews:
    1. Bill Belichic
    2. Gregg Popovich
    3. Pootie Tang

Why? Because they frustrate the media with their answers and that’s fun to watch.

58. leo133074 says: Jul 30, 2013 8:42 PM

If i was that reporter and he asked me to call a third down play i would have set down my pen and notepad,

“BLUE 42 BLUE 42 z! Z! Z! Echo viking monster check check , down set hut hut HUT!!!”

59. sabrenation81 says: Jul 30, 2013 9:00 PM

Day two of training camp and he’s already showed more life than Gailey did in 3 years. I like it.

As someone said earlier, Buffalo media personalities are known for being negative as they come. Everything that happens is the end of the world and if the coach says something is not a problem then he must be trying to hide something. Glad to see Coach Marrone step in and put one of these doom-and-gloom reporters in their place.

60. shoutfan says: Jul 30, 2013 9:09 PM

Darin Gantt … once again a member of the blog-o-sphere has raised the ire of a Bills fan like myself by totally getting the situation bassackwards. And once again this Bills fan will raise your clicks in response to the nonsense you blathered on about in your post.

This is only a story due to the Bills never being the subject of such a story. With the daily snoozefest pressers by his predecessors, especially Dick “Skeletor” Jauron, BillsNation has endured a decade plus of “I have to watch the tape” type pressers.

He answered the question 3 times and was done with it. Good for Marrone. We are tired of national media stinking up the joint when they report on the Bills.

61. thebigbadbootydaddy says: Jul 30, 2013 10:33 PM

“…a bizarre request, considering said reporter does not call plays for a living and didn’t have a playbook to refer to.”

Not bizarre at all, obviously Marrone is making a point that he does not diagnose injuries for a living and does not have a diagnosis to refer to.

62. billsboy88 says: Jul 30, 2013 11:24 PM

Yeah…that’s what’s called a cadence, with an audible, not a play call.

Anyhow, after suffering through the days of Mularkey, Jauron and Gailey, I for one think it’s great that Buffalo finally has a coach with a pulse.

63. ytownjoe says: Jul 31, 2013 1:27 PM

Look for a meltdown before game 10.