Ed Reed noncommittal on whether he’ll be ready for Week One

EdReed AP

Texans receiver Andre Johnson has said that new teammate Ed Reed will be ready to play in Week One of the regular season, following offseason hip surgery.

Reed isn’t ready to make that same vow.

‘I’ve got to get this scar tissue down and get this tightness and soreness, that I feel consistently, out of there,” Reed said, via quotes distributed by the team.  “Once I get that out, I can kind of push it more.  I’m not to the point where I can run 100 percent and certain things I would do, volume of work I would do at the end of it, I feel my hip.  I can do the running, I’m doing the running, I’m doing the sled pulls, I’m back pedaling, I’m breaking, I’m opening the hip up to stuff like that, but at some point it kind of grabs, so I just got to get that scar tissue out and that edema out and everything.  Once that kind of subsides, I can have a better timeline for you.  I know I’m close, I can tell you that, and that it is close.  I can’t say that it is the first game because I don’t know, but Dre is speaking it.”

Reed had some fun with Johnson’s explanation that Reed will be ready to go.

“Hey, if Andre said it I guess I got to do it,” Reed said.  “This is his team, so like I said, if he said it then it’s true, right?  No, but I’m working out to get back as soon as possible cause being on PUP you can’t be out there with your teammates moving around, communicating.  It’s a little tougher, just talking in the meeting rooms and learning it just from a book standpoint and not physically doing it.  It’s always tougher, but I’m doing as much as I can to learn it mentally and watch the guys move around and communicate in meeting rooms. It’s coming along well and, like I said, if Dre said it then it shall be.”

It remains to be seen when we’ll see Reed play for the first time since Super Bowl XLVII for an NFL team other than the Ravens.   But it sounds like Reed knew from the moment the Super Bowl ended that his time in Baltimore had, too.

Reed said he sent a “get me to Houston” text message to Johnson the day after the Super Bowl, because “I kind of knew things.”

For now, Texans fans would be happy to know what Reed really knows about when he’ll return.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
40 Responses to “Ed Reed noncommittal on whether he’ll be ready for Week One”
  1. claymatthewshairplugs says: Jul 30, 2013 2:56 PM

Ed Reed missing games. Wow what a shock.

2. grindhousegazette says: Jul 30, 2013 3:02 PM

I love Ed Reed, he’s one of my all-time favorite players, but I think he is just about done at this stage.

@grindhousegaz

3. rockthered1286 says: Jul 30, 2013 3:03 PM

Ed with nagging injuries and not sure when he’ll play? All together now Baltimore fans….

“Told ya so.”

4. overratedsteelerhater says: Jul 30, 2013 3:07 PM

he just doing his usual training camp crap.doesn’t think he has to do camp anymore,been in the league long enough.he’ll be ok by week 3 or4…

5. htown1035 says: Jul 30, 2013 3:08 PM

claymatthewshairplugs says:
    Jul 30, 2013 2:56 PM
    Ed Reed missing games. Wow what a shock.
    —————————————-
    He hasn’t missed a game in 2 years.

Ignorant comment – wow, what a shock

6. crownofthehelmet says: Jul 30, 2013 3:08 PM

Reed said, “This is his team, so like I said, if he said it then it’s true, right? No,……”

Wow, nice work mocking your new team’s leader. I guess when there’s no fear of getting stabbed, you can get a little mouthy.

7. lovefootball4life says: Jul 30, 2013 3:09 PM

If he’s got any gas in the tank he’ll use it in Houston. Still hope he retires a Raven, though. Amazes me when I read players/coaches texting other players/coaches. Is there an NFL phone book or something?

8. raqaiw says: Jul 30, 2013 3:24 PM

He kinda knew things like Ozzie N won’t overpay a player with chronic injuries and constant retirement talk more than market value,but a desperate for a change Texans GM will. Smith has done a good job with the roster in Houston,but even he said flaming out in the divisional round every year isn’t good enough.

9. buzzbeaubank says: Jul 30, 2013 3:24 PM

Ed has played all 16 games in 8 of his 11 seasons, and that doesn’t include the playoffs. He’s missed a total of 16 games in those 11 years, and only due to significant injuries. If he can walk, he’ll play.

10. southpaw2k says: Jul 30, 2013 3:25 PM

And yet non-Ravens fans think the Ravens should have kept him, despite his age, declining abilities, and mounting injuries. I think Huff, Elam, and Ihedigbo will all do fine.

11. jamaltimore says: Jul 30, 2013 3:26 PM

The only think Ed knows is that he doesn’t know much.

12. @Cereal_22 says: Jul 30, 2013 3:29 PM

He wont be ready & I doubt he’ll play at all this year, he has ligament damage in his hip. He’s finally getting it fixed AFTER he got paid. Good for him BAD for the Texans, reckless signing on their part.

13. ccjcsr says: Jul 30, 2013 3:29 PM

I like Ed Reed but injuries are catching up to you bro!

14. cpo187 says: Jul 30, 2013 3:30 PM

But he did commit to looking like Rafiki from the Lion King when he wears that hat like that.

15. ravensterps says: Jul 30, 2013 3:31 PM

Ravens fans can tell you this is nothing new. Maybe in severity, but he’ll be there when it counts. He’s Ed Reed, c’mon now.

16. whatnojets says: Jul 30, 2013 3:31 PM

Maybe he should be “noncommittal” in accepting his pay check!! BUMS!!!

17. htown1035 says: Jul 30, 2013 3:34 PM

@Cereal_22 says:
    Jul 30, 2013 3:29 PM
    ———————————————
    So that’s why he’s running around at training camp?

18. 8to80texansblog says: Jul 30, 2013 3:36 PM

He’ll be there week 3 at the latest….
    Write that down….

19. txtuff says: Jul 30, 2013 3:39 PM

He will be on the field no later then week 3, Texans Vs Ravens.

20. colv says: Jul 30, 2013 3:41 PM

I love Ed Reed, greatest to play the position in my opinion. Hated to see him go but we all knew he was at the end of his career. Last year was not his typical pro bowl performance. Injuries like his hip are difficult, especially at his age. I too had hip surgery and what Ed says in this article ring very true. I thought things were worked out in my recovery until it got hit, by of all things my Golden Retriever, which set me back. Good luck Ed and the 2013 Texans. If your QB steps up you can go very deep in the playoffs. Still hope the Ravens do the same, but if they don’t and an AFC North team doesn’t I hope the Texans make it to the SB.

21. texansdude says: Jul 30, 2013 3:42 PM

Do Ed Reed and Sam Montgomery have the same agent?

22. scoobies05 says: Jul 30, 2013 3:51 PM

why would ed worry about being stabbed crown? thats as ignorant as saying now harrison wont have to worry about being raped. its just ignorant

23. iamthefootballjerk says: Jul 30, 2013 4:01 PM

Congrats Texans fans. You got one of the smartest Defensive Backs in the history of the NFL. He fools QBs into believing they have more time or space to squeeze a ball in to a receiver. Great cover safety.

Unfortunately, you’re also getting a guy who is pretty banged up. He does well to protect himself, so you will get the occasional (some games frequent) whiff on a tackle. Won’t be useful in the box.

He may not be worth the big $$ anymore, but he is a special player. He will suit up when he feels he is ready to go, and not a game sooner.

24. crownofthehelmet says: Jul 30, 2013 4:35 PM

You’re right scoobs, you’ll never hear another stabbing joke from me, time to move on. Doubt you’ll get the same from others, so keep up the good fight.

Though you”ll still hear plenty of piling-on, getting hurdled, overpaid, fat, and rebuilding jokes from me. Good day.

25. bmoreravens1012013 says: Jul 30, 2013 4:51 PM

That collective sound you here is ravens fans chuckling. This is like the family member that has issues visiting other family that they don’t know about. That movie” Clifford ” comes to mind.

26. dcapettini says: Jul 30, 2013 4:59 PM

We love Ed in Baltimore, but this is his usual stuff. You live with it. “First he says he will and then he won’t…”
    Before you Texas fans get too excited though, you may want to watch film from last year. The guy could not tackle anymore. I guess it was his hip. He should help you though, since the only team you have ever beaten in the post season is the Bungles. You either need a new QB or coach…or both.

27. peytonsneck18 says: Jul 30, 2013 5:11 PM

texans=overated!!!

28. scoobies05 says: Jul 30, 2013 5:14 PM

as always my friend, looking forward to it. cya around

29. jacktheraven says: Jul 30, 2013 5:25 PM

I said this would happen 4 months ago. Welcome to the world of Ed Reed.

30. ballinmore says: Jul 30, 2013 6:54 PM

Dear Houston,

Ed Reed does not do training camp, at all. What you’ll get is the same thing we got in Baltimore the last few years. Ed playing weeks 1-3 at about 70-80%, getting injured and playing rest of the year at 40-50% because Ed feels himself at 50 is better than other guys at 100. This was true in his prime but things have changed since then. Unfortunately you guys don’t have the memories of Ed to hang your hat on.

31. htown1035 says: Jul 30, 2013 7:09 PM

I love how Ravens fans are coming on here trying to spin everything with a bunch of “I told you so’s” and “Reed always does this” trolling.

You think real Texans’ fans think they’re getting the Ed Reed of 5 years ago? We know he’s not that guy. We don’t expect 10 interceptions from the guy, and we’d be foolish to think that was possible. If he even gets close to it, it’ll be worth the low salary they’re paying him.

You really don’t have to bother with the sour grapes – he decided to go elsewhere, get over it. You should be praising the fact that DESPITE his 50% which you claim he only plays at, he still helped you get to the Super Bowl, contributed an interception and a key QB pressure on a 4th down play, and has been a staple of your franchise for years.

And as far as the Texans go, our biggest obstacle at this point is New England. We were able to dispatch Denver and Baltimore pretty handily last year, and even with the poor play at the end of the season the only real challenge is getting past New England and if Reed plays a full, half, quarter, or none of the season and yet can help this team get to the Super Bowl and past New England, again it will be worth every penny he’s being paid.

Ravens fans need to stop putting down Reed and worry more about the Bengals.

32. bluenose1965 says: Jul 30, 2013 7:31 PM

Could it be that Ed is being a bit coy here? Ravens fans should know that approach.

Re: Texans overrated

Where does that put your team then Peyton? Well behind the Texans, that’s for sure

Re: Texans play-off flameout
    I wouldn’t call losing to the Ravens in Baltimore by a TD with a backup rookie QB a flameout. That was also down to the clown Jacoby Jones. He’ll be back to fumbling punts this year Baltimore. You can’t catch a punt with your ego in the way.

Last year we lost to a better NE team, with our defense falling apart at the end of the season. I can’t imagine what our second half record (it was 6-4) would have been if not for JJ Watt.

I truly believe Reed will be there when we need him. Meanwhile, our brightest defensive rookie DJ Swearinger just happens to play the same position.

33. texan2905 says: Jul 30, 2013 7:49 PM

Well he most likely wont be here next year if DJ Swearinger turns out to be a stud.

34. ravensnosncaps says: Jul 30, 2013 10:35 PM

@htown1035
    I can assure you most raven fans loved and still love Ed reed. We are not hating on him or your team. I am personally happy for him and the texans. I hope he does get healthy and contributes but he does have a history like other posts have mentioned.

35. youcallthatreporting says: Jul 30, 2013 11:00 PM

htown1035 says:

Long post so I didn’t copy it all in but you are reading the opinions of Raven fans wrong. No one is putting down Ed Reed. If a Ravens fan does then they are not really a fan. He is a legend in Baltimore. If #20 isn’t retired it will be a crime to see anyone else in it.

They are saying that there is a pattern with him in the off season. Its just something they learned to put up with and not take too seriously. When it comes time to play he plays and plays hard.

36. clashers says: Jul 31, 2013 12:05 AM

htown1035 says:
    Jul 30, 2013 7:09 PM

Over $3 mill/year is not a “low salary”especially if he only plays a few games. If that’s what Ed gets paid wait until JJ Watt’s contract expires bc Ed’s making more than Watt this year after his DPOY. And you thought Mario Williams contract was big?

37. raqaiw says: Jul 31, 2013 8:39 AM

bluenose1965:
    Jones will go back to fumbling punts this year because…? He seemed to do just fine once he got on a team with some heart;something the Texans,particularly their QB,lack.

38. bunkslurpscrabmustard says: Jul 31, 2013 11:07 AM

And here we go…. Ed I love you man but Bmore just had to part ways.

39. nananatman says: Jul 31, 2013 11:25 AM

I would still take Ed Reed on my team and when he retires I’d hire him to coach.

40. nananatman says: Jul 31, 2013 11:26 AM

Dear Chad Johnson

I do not really have a team and I’m not really hiring.