Harvin says he needs surgery

Getty Images

As it turns out, no news was bad news for Percy Harvin.

With Harvin getting a second opinion on Tuesday regarding the treatment options for the slight tear in his hip labrum and no one saying anything about the content of the second opinion, the signs pointed to surgery.

Tonight, Harvin eliminated the mystery by sharing the bad news on Twitter:   “when everything is goin good sometimes life throw u a curve ball… sorry to half to report that my injury will require surgery…”

It’s unclear when the surgery will happen, and how much time Harvin will miss.

“Nobody was more anxious and excited about [this] season then [me] ….but I will be back strong as ever..i appreciate all the love and prayers 12th man,” Harvin said.

Harvin got the second opinion because team doctors suggested that he receive treatment and play.  Dr. Bryan Kelly obviously recommended that the labrum be repaired with surgery.

In March, the Seahawks sent a first-round pick, a seventh-round pick, and a 2013 third-round pick to the Vikings for Harvin.  They also gave him a six-year, $67 million contract with a $12 million signing bonus to be paid in full by the end of the year.

105 responses to “Harvin says he needs surgery

1. To “half” to report… Hahaha @ his grammar.

Couple of thoughts: 1) Glad the Vikings got rid of this injury prone guy.

2) Was still looking forward to watching him play. This guy is a warrior when on the field. I really do hope he gets better and comes back strong.

2. “…sorry to half to report that my injury will require surgery…”
    ==================================

Sorry to “half to report”? Half?? When will these high schools and universities be held criminally responsible for turning out these “half-wits”?

3. Well, hopefully since the need for surgery was questionable, it’s not too bad to where he’ll miss the whole year or anything like that. As a Seahawks fan, I hate to see a dynamic player like this hurt, but would rather him get the surgery now and recover fully rather than trying to tough it out and being sub 100% the whole year.

4. I really am bummed out for him, but as a Rams fan, I enjoy that the hawks gave up a 1st rounder for this guy.

5. Ouch. I am a 49ers fan and not cheering on anyone’s injury. That is the one thing I don’t like about football – all the injuries. I want to see the best players play and compete. So hard in the NFL to make all the right choices. Seahawks have done so well on draft picks, I guess in retrospect they should have kept their picks and trusted their scouts.

6. Wishing Percy a full speedy recovery.

Loved him on the football field, but not sorry he’s gone.

7. dont feel bad seahawks fans, the rams robbed the redskins, and sold them a lemon in IRG3, and they are still paying for him

8. As a Seahawk fan all I have to say is, what a f-ing wimp. Bam Bam played through something worse last year.

Got your guaranteed $$ though, Percy so everything is great!

9. First of its a shame to see a guy get hurt. Percy is a Great talent and it would have been exciting to watch him and Wilson and that Offense but where are all these Seahawks fans who was guaranteeing a Super Bowl ??

10. Save your hate for late in the season and for the playoffs when a healthy Harvin runs over your defense. Go Hawks!

11. With Percy Harvin and his always taking his health serious for the long-term, this decision was pretty much a given to have surgery.

As a Seahawks fan, I was optimistic he’d tough it out and play, but if he could come back in December off the Designated to Return/PUP list, I’d take that rather than the whole season being lost.

Having him for the games that really count would be huge.

12. Tough luck. Percy out. Sidney Rice with a knee problem. Wasn’t that Tavaris Jackson stint a sign to Stay away from Vikings castoffs? Brace yourself for Antoine Winfield failing miserably. Tough Luck.

13. “So now Sidney Rice is in Switzerland getting treatment on his knee, while Harvin’s season is up in the air and McKinnie is fat.” SKOL

14. All u Seadderall Fans that Laughed at Crabtree injury.. how u like that Bit of Charma ?… BTW Crbaz will be back before Harvin… #9erEmpire #AndStillChampsOfTheWest

15. how do the vikings keep sticking it to the adderhawks like they do, LMAO. nate burleson, tjoke, sid rice and now harvin. once the adderhawks tried to tell percy he could play through the injury, it was all over for the adderhawks. pete carroll obviously doesn’t know who percy’s mentor is, none other than Randy “I play when I WANT TO” Moss. percy will never play out his contract in seattle now, the line has been drawn and the cancer will spread.

16. Wow, there sure are a lot of Viking fans gloating over this. I wonder if they’ll have the same reaction when Adrian Peterson suffers his next career-threatening injury.

17. What’s with all these giddy fans of other teams taking some sort of pride in this? What ever happened to wanting to beat the opposing team at full strength. Huge Niner fan here and I take no pride in this. I feel sorry for the Seattle fans that took no pride in Crabtree’s injury. Hopefully they will make it back late in the season and BALL!

18. Maybe it all makes sense.

Why was Percy “disgruntled?” The story of the off-season was the Vikings and Harvin not getting along, and it spun many theories.

Maybe this was a carefully concocted plan by both the Vikings and Harvin.

Percy hurts the hip in a game last season.
    The Vikings medical staff realizes that the hip is an issue, and refuse to entertain an extension with the question mark.
    Harvin’s frustration goes public.
    The Vikes stay quiet and do not disclose their concern about the hip.
    Trade hype builds.
    Harvin doesn’t disclose the nature of the injury because he is about to get paid.
    Trade goes down.
    Both sides happy.
    Ain’t nothin’ wrong with Christian Ponder.
    Out for Season before camp.

I say both sides knew it was an issue. Harvin made a stink about how his contract/negotiations were going to play out over the following seasons after hip surgery, and the Vikes simply hushed up and played along.

19. Haters gonna hate. People love to hate this winless useless south Alaska franchise. Lol they’re all cheaters and Petes a punk.. Sure haters keep telling yourself that, us seahawks fans are fine.

Yes this a a bad blow, but it’s a luxury blow, fortunately other teams do not have the depth of talent and youth the seahawks have. They were good without him, especially because Russell has greatly gown as an passer throughout the season whenever asked upon. Look no further than the falcons game. Nearly 500 yards of offense.

Sucks but the seahawks still had what 12 picks this draft, if they get something out of him late in the season, that IS STILL better than what they would have gotten at 25,bc theirs no real holes or positions openings.

Good luck, heal fast, and no more injuries, sucks he was injured training with the team just an week before the start of preseason.

See you perc week 10. They say an partial tare with have him gone 2 to 3 months. Including preseason that’s about week 8-10..

20. I hope Harvin to get a speedy recovery and to play this year. Love the guy, but hate the Seahawks. Unlike some of the Seahawks fans talking smack about Crabtree and his injury, I wish him well. Hope you guys still enjoy your “42-13” victory, I know it meant the world to you Seahawks fans. Quest for 6, go Niners!

21. Let’s see, Harvin out for the season, Bruce Irvin out for the first 4 games and MLynch maybe out a few weeks with his 2nd DUI since he’s been in the NFL. Seahawks not what they thought they were.

22. As a Vikings fan I am not happy about this but this does not come unexpected I am not surprised. This feels like our mini version of the Herschel Walker trade. But that being said Percy will come back and he will come back strong. I am disappointed that I will not be able to see Percy play the Vikings this year or Percy play in other games. Hopefully he won’t be out that long. As a Vikings fan we already had to deal with losing 2010 season after good old Sidney Rice decided to have hip surgery right during training camp. I felt betrayed and still feel resentment towards Sidney Rice over that. I can also understand the Seahawks disappointment that they will not have Percy Harvin.

23. dedreu400 says: Jul 30, 2013 8:23 PM

Vkings always seam to roll the hawks remember when they did the poison pill with Hutchison. LOL
    —————————————————–
    Oh yeah HUH-HUH-HUH! Especially with all those Super Bowls that Hutch brought the Vikings too HUH-HUH-HUH LOLOL HUH-HUH-HUH! Oh wait…
    (dumba$$)

24. Every time I see in writing what they gave up, its astounding to say the least. This dude has been injury probe his whole career it seems, but the cheathawks didn’t care. I don’t feel sorry for the organization because that was just plain stupid. I feel sorry for their fans though because they didn’t give up the farm to get him. The team was more interested in out – doing the forty-whiners than thinking rationally . Don’t get me wrong, Percy is a great game changing ball player , but for all those picks plus the contract for a player that is consistently injured from migraines to hip to whatever else he was out for, it just wasn’t smart in the long run. I was shocked when they gave up so much to get him so this is not hindsight 20/20.

25. Rick Spielman is on the phone to Peter Carroll daring him to make Joe Webb into an AllPro QB too. Petey offered a 2nd rd. draft pick but Speilman is holding out for a 1st and a 2nd……petey said he’d get back to him on it.

26. anygivensundayfan says:
    Jul 30, 2013 8:22 PM
    ====================================Gotta MAKE the playoffs to play in the playoffs seattle!

27. domezo says: Jul 30, 2013 8:24 PM

On behalf of all the Vikings fans, Front office and Christian Ponder

“Lmao!! You mad Seattle?”
    ——————————————————

Why should we be mad? We’ve got video of Brett Favre throwing that game-sealing, Super Bowl-run-ending INT to Tracy Porter to enjoy. What’s to be mad about?

28. Hey Madoff,

Your handle should be $&-/off! Hawks will see ya in Charlotte. You and the other three panther err Hornet err Bobcat fans, with two teeth between the three of ya. Have fun watching Ruchard Sherman pick Cam I Am 3 or 4 times. Idiot!

29. firestarter0728 says:
    Jul 30, 2013 8:27 PM

Fire starter- why be a classless a$$hole? I’m a rabid Viking fan and am not gloating over this. I for one loved watching Percy play. He brought it on every single play. But to talk about Adrian’s “next career threatening injury?” Punk statement. At least Viking fans can look back at his LAST career threatening injury and see 2100 yards and MVP. What do you have?

30. I guess it’s better to be safe than sorry, but when it comes out you were cleared to play with some treatment and rest, it certainly doesn’t leave a good taste in the mouth of fans and the franchise.

31. Sorry to hear about an injury like this. But have to say…Damn……with English and vocabulary like this there is no way he got through College without some special help.

32. willbow5253, the reason we’re “giddy” is not becuz of percy getting hurt, it’s that we can shut those arrogant, pompas, condescending asses in seagull country up.

33. kane337 says:
    Jul 30, 2013 8:22 PM
    Viking fans everywhere start to snicker

==================================

and start to cry when they remember that Ponder is the viking’ starting QB

34. I follow all Seahawks threads on this site, and few, if any, Hawks fans were laughing when Crabtree was injured. Were we thinking it might translate into an easier thumping of the Niners? Of course, and they are welcome to hope that the loss of Harvin might make their losses a tad less humiliating. But anyone who feels joy and laughter over any teams’ players getting injured is a major low-life, IMO.

My guess is that those hating on the Hawks, or any other team, as vocally as they are on this thread are doing so because their own teams are complete non-contenders and hating on the better teams is all that’s left for you.

Harvin or no Harvin, Seattle will be playing all through January next year. GO HAWKS!

35. Harvin appreciates the 12th man?
    does he mean the origin (Iowa Hawkeyes)?
    or more current, the Bears?
    even most current, Texas A&M?

36. robseahawksfan says:
    Jul 30, 2013 8:58 PM
    dedreu400 says: Jul 30, 2013 8:23 PM

—————————————————–
    (dumba$$)

———As opposed to your brimming trophy case Seattle? Let’s see, the Vikings are one of the most consistently winning franchises in NFL history. 51 years with very few long droughts between playoff births. (no gaps longer than 3 years since 1968)
    Seahawks had 5 playoff births in their first 26 years.
    You half to be kidding, right?

37. I was pissed when the Vikings lost Sidney and Percy to the Seahawks but am now glad as they are riddled with injuries. Could have cratered the Vikings for the near future.

38. We basicly got three first rounders In last years draft, so the loss of a first, third and seventh is not that big of a deal here in hawkville. As far as I’m concerned we only have one irreplaceable player on our roster.

39. I’m a Seahawk fan, and I can tell every other Seattle fan you might as well kiss EVER seeing Harvin play a meaningful down for Seattle. He is now going from injury to injury. At some point you don’t even remain competitive if you’re out of football that long. He has his money – he is done like S.Alexander was.

Yes, Vikes got a 1st round pick from Seattle, but when you draft Sherman in the 5th round, and Wilson in the 3rd, and Bobby Wagner in the 2nd – and on and on – we have a bunch of #1 picks on our team through good drafting. Seattle earned the right to make a mistake on Harvin.

40. Harvin was a great player for the Vikings and I hated to see him go to Seattle.

He might miss most of the season but why would any fan of football be happy about this???

I would rather see all teams at 100% and let the best team win (hopefully the team I am rooting for) rather than have my team win because of injuries to the other team.

Seattle fans, you will get Harvin back in time for a late season push for the playoffs and then he and Wilson will have a few games to work on their timing. By the time the playoffs start he and Wilson will be on the same page.

41. vikingjim60 says:
    Jul 30, 2013 9:20 PM
    firestarter0728 says:
    Jul 30, 2013 8:27 PM

———————————————
    We have 13 NFL championships. And I’ll say it again: there ARE a lot of Viking fans here laughing at Percy Harvin’ injury. Go back and read the posts. I’m no Seahawk fan (quite the opposite) but I would never gloat when a player gets hurt. Not even Adrian Peterson.

42. In other news- Seattle also lost their their NBA franchise to OK City and lost to Sack o Tomatoes to get a new one. City continues to under achieve- Percy , you’ve come home

43. I’ve had a torn labrum. Hardin will be 100%, but not till next year. He may be back this year, but he will have pain.

44. Sorry that this happened but the game will go on and the Seahawks have a very strong team, regardless. The fact that they have to play at least the first half of the season without him, maybe more……is a bummer.

Hope he makes it back for the end of the season and the push needed to get into the playoffs. If the Hawks are poised to do damage in the later part of the season and he returns healthy and fresh,………look out.

Go Hawks!

45. So PC and JS agreed that Percy would release this significant team news directly to the media via Twitter?

46. I was hoping to see him on the field week 11 when the Vikes play in Cheattle. I guess I’ll “half” to wait til next season. Thanks for the picks Seahawks!

47. Damn. I bet the Seasnakes front office folks (and everyone between Portland and the N. Pole, and from the Idaho border – West to the Pacific for that matter) is feeling that Affect Weather Syndrome condition right about now, because it has to be deeply depressing. In an almost manic kinda way. I know I would be if the Niners sent half a years worth of draft pics in exchange for a guy who wont play for most of his first season due to his labrum, and an additional 20% of the season due to headaches, or runny noses or whatever his issue is. And then to pay him 12 tickets on top of that? A crying shame if I may say so. Hang in there Seaweenies, this is just the beginning of the bad news. I hope Arizona or Stl can at least make it competitive, if not for the West Crown, then in the race to the bottom for the three of you.

GO NINERS!!!!!!

P.S. Better stock up on the Adderal

48. Second time today that I observed someone misuse half for have. The other was on SI today. I didn’t go to one of the nations premier institutions of higher learning, just Univ. Phoenix online, but I cant recall mixing up half and have since………. ever!!! Further proof that many of these clowns still arent being held truly accountable for their collegiate studies. No surprise then that many of those same fools will eventually be indigent by 35.

49. Wow id venture to say that half of the pft commentors have lost their moral compass.

Whether it was people who talked smack on crabtree and the niners, or the people making light of the harvin situation. Or any other unfortunate situation for that matter regardless of the team.

Im all about some competitive trash talking and choppin it up for your team but at least have some dignity in the way you interact.

We were serious contenders without Percy, we will hold it down without him.

Good luck and fast healing to him and all the players nfl wide, cuz its less fun to watch ball if squads are down star players.

To all you people who are getting ugly about it, you are dead wrong for typing out some of this garbage.

50. Even IF the draft picks the Vikes received in the trade turn out to be busts, I’m glad to half this cancer gone…

51. Funny how some of the same people pointing out Percy can’t spell, can’t spell either.

Dear 12 year olds, twisting words is so second grade.

52. Love the “we won w/o percy” comments because this year you lost a more vital component to last years success, not percy, not sidney, not the 12th woman… No more PED’s!!!

53. Give the Guy a break. …these pieces of crap Android phones mangle up the words have the time.
    Dude was called mini-AP in Minny.
    He’ll start rehabbing right away, using the Wiid.