Mike Shanahan wants you to get off his lawn

Redskins Camp Football AP

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan will not be following Steelers counterpart Mike Tomlin on Twitter so they can DM each other.

In fact, the 60-year-old Shanahan said he’s only started using those new-fangled text messages recently, and does not have an e-mail account.

“First of all, I’ve never been on Twitter,” Shanahan said, via Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post. “I don’t even have e-mail. I just learned to text about two years ago, so that’s where I’m at. No, seriously, I don’t have an e-mail. I do text, and I’m not very good at that. I’m NOT getting into the Twitter.”

At this point, I can only assume Shanahan took out his flip phone, and promptly called home to make sure someone set the VCR to tape Wheel of Fortune.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
40 Responses to “Mike Shanahan wants you to get off his lawn”
  1. slizzyslizz says: Jul 30, 2013 10:33 AM

Nice Gran Torino reference.

2. MichaelWrites says: Jul 30, 2013 10:38 AM

So now we can all tweet really mean stuff about The Ultimate Leader, just like the players on his team.

3. getyourownname says: Jul 30, 2013 10:41 AM

First, you guys write how athletes get themselves in trouble using Twitter, which is true. Then, you make fun of someone who understands the basic problem and acts so as to avoid it.

It’s not often I say this, but Shanahan is absolutely right here, even though it gives the media fewer opportunities to manufacture stories and controversies.

4. nananatman says: Jul 30, 2013 10:42 AM

In his defense twitter hasn’t taken responsibility yet for the situation in Egypt that “it” was more than happy to take credit for during the Arab Spring. Most of your “social media” is pure garbage anyway. You know drug dealers, prostitutes and criminals really are the scene.

5. ctiggs says: Jul 30, 2013 10:47 AM

When the USPS continues to make cuts and he is not recieving his bills in the mail anymore, but via email, he will get with the program then.

6. theseekeroffun says: Jul 30, 2013 10:47 AM

He doesn’t have an email account? That is total BS!

7. kpf1981 says: Jul 30, 2013 10:49 AM

nothing wrong with this. i’m 31 and have a flip phone, no facebook, no twitter, no google plus. i just don’t see the appeal. i have friends and manage to keep in touch with them just fine.

8. hit2hurt says: Jul 30, 2013 10:50 AM

Uhm, the Redskins don’t have inner-office emails?

9. hatesycophants says: Jul 30, 2013 10:51 AM

Well, only teen girls should be twittering. But, email? Emails have been around for 30 years. He must be a very inefficient professional.

10. stampnhawk says: Jul 30, 2013 10:53 AM

Final puzzle clue: Washington Redskins
    Answer: Ove_ _ated

Vanna, can I get an R?

11. jimmyt says: Jul 30, 2013 10:53 AM

And he should want RGIII to get off the lawn they call a field.

12. fanofevilempire says: Jul 30, 2013 10:54 AM

I thought this was about taking care of your lawn sponsored by Home Depot, really disappointed!

13. romoscollarbone says: Jul 30, 2013 11:04 AM

I’m 29, well aware of tech and how to use it, but twitter, has zero appeal to me.

14. hrmlss says: Jul 30, 2013 11:16 AM

As to the USPS comment, he’ll obviously get his mail from FEDEX.

15. gibson34 says: Jul 30, 2013 11:24 AM

this guy cracks me up and still hasn’t won jack since John Elway…..FAIL!!!!

He will retire soon too and ride off into the sunset with that 35 million (way overpaid by dopey).

16. raiderlyfe510 says: Jul 30, 2013 11:25 AM

I don’t even see how a NFL head coach has time to tweet. What would the tweets be about.

Just woke up thinking if only we had a deep threat to take advantage of RGIII’s Bootleg action.#JoshMorganSucks

Standing here this morning putting players through the conditioning test. #MemoriesofAlbertHaynesworrh #Redskins

Alfred Morris had a good practice today. #DimeADozen #OrlandisGary2.0 #Redskins

17. normaneinstein7 says: Jul 30, 2013 11:26 AM

stampnhawk says: Jul 30, 2013 10:53 AM

Final puzzle clue: Washington Redskins
    Answer: Ove_ _ated

Vanna, can I get an R?

——————————————————-

I would like to solve the puzzle Pat. Overhated.

Pat: “That is correct! Haters gonna hate.”

RG3>Webster Wilson

18. blackqbwhiterb says: Jul 30, 2013 11:26 AM

I thought this would be another article about the Redskins home-field grass situation When I read the headline

19. eagles512 says: Jul 30, 2013 11:28 AM

I can see avoiding twitter but in his position he has to have email.

20. peytonsneck18 says: Jul 30, 2013 11:31 AM

Him and IR-ehab-G3 wont win anything buy being overated and on the all pro injured team….akili Smith >IRG3

21. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jul 30, 2013 11:36 AM

And his VCR is flashing “12:00″ no doubt.

No email? Com’ on man. I wouldn’t have even admitted that.

22. daveb204 says: Jul 30, 2013 11:36 AM

Hahaha he should at least get an email account. Seems like the lack of one, makes more work for his staff. So what, people email them, then they have to print out copies and give it to him?? The wasted paper alone…think of the environment Mike…

23. tombradyswig says: Jul 30, 2013 11:45 AM

I bet he uses his rat teeth to open his snail mail!!

24. shogunassasin30 says: Jul 30, 2013 11:47 AM

No grown man should be posting theie thoughts every 5 min. Stupid teenage girls do that. What a self-important, vain society we live in now.

25. officialgame says: Jul 30, 2013 11:56 AM

Wonder if Skeletor’s Playbook is chiseled into a stone tablet.

26. sophandros says: Jul 30, 2013 12:14 PM

I get not wanting to use certain forms of social media, but refusing to use email and other modern means of communication is nothing to be proud of.

27. harrisonhits2 says: Jul 30, 2013 12:16 PM

I spend a lot of time with electronic communication but don’t do twitter and gave up on social networking because its too easy for people you don’t know to harvest info about you.

The only reason I’d sign up for twitter is to give a hard time to a player or politician I don’t like or am displeased with so I’ve just left that nasty pile alone rather than waste my time in a purely negative fashion.

28. throwedoff1 says: Jul 30, 2013 12:18 PM

@Tombradyswig
    AWESOME COMMENT DOES SHANAHAN HAVE A GLASS EYEBALL TOO IT LOOKS LIKE IT TO ME

29. tbutler704 says: Jul 30, 2013 12:27 PM

He’s better off. I wish I could do my work without email.

30. lightcleric says: Jul 30, 2013 12:34 PM

It could be worse, he could have pulled a Phil Jackson and tweeted “11 champ;ipnsikp[ ringhs” as his very first tweet.

31. tombradyswig says: Jul 30, 2013 1:01 PM

throwedoff1, thank ya sir, I’ll be here all week!!

I don’t think it’s a glass eye, but I do believe he had a leather transplant for a skin issue he had at some point!!!!!

Only girls go to the tanning bed, you old fogey!!!!!!

32. bestbitter says: Jul 30, 2013 1:11 PM

I am one of the remaining 9% worth of Americans that does not own a Cell Phone. Horrific, I know, but here am today, alive, healthy, and not yet fully ostracized from society.

Personally, I love it, cut your electronic leash and go live.

33. scrp2 says: Jul 30, 2013 1:40 PM

Coach, in an effort to show he is “with it”, set up his Apple IIe in front of reporters and clickity clacked a few commands on the keyboard.

34. the3taveren says: Jul 30, 2013 2:00 PM

gibson34 says:
    Jul 30, 2013 11:24 AM
    this guy cracks me up and still hasn’t won jack since John Elway…..FAIL!!!!
    ________________________________

You guys crack me up. You know the “well informed football fans” that say Shanny has won anyhting since Elways.

Well you could say the same about Walsh / Montana; Knoll / Bradshaw; Landry / Staubach; Johnson / Aikman; Madden / Stabler; Lombardi / Starr; or Gibbs / Theisman (no wait, he won with Williams and Rypien too so I guess he can win w/o a HoF QB).

By the way Shanny won 112 games post Elway. He won the AFC West more than he lost. He won the NFC East last year. His teams have had more winning seasons than losing seasons post Elway.

35. throwedoff1 says: Jul 30, 2013 2:40 PM

tombradyswig
    back at you brother man I have never been able to make myself like shanahan he seems like he would throw you under the bus in a heartbeat just looks like a snake. I am a skins hater especially since Snyder and shanahan r running the show

36. dwats says: Jul 30, 2013 5:53 PM

Of course the Redskins don’t use email, that’s what smoke signals are for. Unfortunately he misinterpreted the one last year that said don’t let your QB tear his ACL.

37. hatesycophants says: Jul 30, 2013 8:19 PM

Listen, the fact that you don’t have a cellphone doesn’t make you a hero, pioneer or individualist. It makes you an idiot. It’s like being the last guy to transition from the telegraph to the telephone.

38. firecc says: Jul 30, 2013 8:51 PM

@lightcleric..

Phil Jackson said “11 champ;ipnsikp[ ringhs” on purpose.. the rings would make it hard to type.. he made a video joking about this near the beginning of his Twitter..

39. firecc says: Jul 30, 2013 8:51 PM

*Supposedly harder

40. lakermetskins says: Jul 30, 2013 9:03 PM

“REAL MEN DON’T TWEET”!

The Rat also studies film via Sony Beta and makes his players ware hip and knee pads. Ya know, old school style.