On Harvin, no news may not be good news

Harvin AP

When it comes to the outcome of Seahawks receiver Percy Harvin’s second opinion on the torn labrum in his hip, the flow of information has gone to less than a trickle.

And that may not be good news for the team and the player.

Though we don’t know anything about what happened when Harvin exercised his right to a second opinion on Tuesday, anything other than an announcement that Harvin won’t need surgery easily can be interpreted that Harvin does need surgery, and that everyone involved is opting for silence while they trying to figure out how to proceed.

It’s also possible that the recommendation from Dr. Bryan Kelly was for surgery, and that ultimately Harvin may decide not to start his time in Seattle by going under the knife.  Until he makes a decision, there’s no reason for anyone involved to say anything.

And so everyone involved is saying nothing.  And the silence quickly has become deafening.  It could only be a matter of time before we all find out that, indeed, Harvin will have surgery to repair the slight labrum tear in his hip.

Permalink 91 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Top Stories
91 Responses to “On Harvin, no news may not be good news”
  1. blowpackblow says: Jul 30, 2013 4:13 PM

All I can hear is the entire state of MN giggling…

2. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: Jul 30, 2013 4:16 PM

What did he do? hurt himself swimming to practice?

3. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: Jul 30, 2013 4:16 PM

Or is he just to depressed to play?

4. footbal1q says: Jul 30, 2013 4:16 PM

I bet he is getting a migraine just thinking about the news….

5. nfl4days says: Jul 30, 2013 4:16 PM

A freaking first rounder. Wow…..

6. decon49 says: Jul 30, 2013 4:17 PM

maybe he had a late doctors appointment

7. hartdaddy says: Jul 30, 2013 4:20 PM

Horrible trade, always was… Giving up a 1st rounder for a injury prone WR who hasn’t finished a season in years? Oh but he runs really fast!

8. vikesindividual says: Jul 30, 2013 4:20 PM

Oh, the state of Minnesota is DEFINITELY giggling! And Bryant McKinnie showed up out of shape AGAIN.

Karma is… well, it’s great sometimes.

9. daysend564 says: Jul 30, 2013 4:21 PM

Had to go off shore to get the PEDs.
    Had to stay there awhile, until they are out of his system.

10. justintuckrule says: Jul 30, 2013 4:21 PM

Three letters. P – U – P

11. justintuckrule says: Jul 30, 2013 4:22 PM

cont. – or two letters. I – R

either way…no bueno.

12. vikesindividual says: Jul 30, 2013 4:23 PM

Hey Florio…. can someone address this question I have yet to see addressed:

When/how did he injure his hip? And if it happened last season, why is he JUST NOW doing something about it? Did he just wake up and *poof*, “My hip hurts for no reason whatsoever…. weird.”

13. goldrush4949 says: Jul 30, 2013 4:23 PM

The SF bay area sends their regards to Percy Harvin.

14. minnesoulja says: Jul 30, 2013 4:23 PM

He’s your problem now…

I do not wish imminant demise on this young talent.

I DO however want my Vikings to look like a smart front office and I would say that under the current regime they are on the rise.

We will take the picks and rid ourselves of the HEADACHE…. no pun intended…. or is it?

15. bsandersislegend20 says: Jul 30, 2013 4:23 PM

@blowpackblow i couldn’t have said it any better!!! Lmao

16. deepseabreeze says: Jul 30, 2013 4:24 PM

i’m sure the hawks can set him up with a roids regimen and bring him back in time for the season

17. starvingardens says: Jul 30, 2013 4:26 PM

What a great sign for the Seahawks.

18. GoHawks.info says: Jul 30, 2013 4:26 PM

Or both opinions could have suggested different routes of non-surgical options and the player is meeting with family/advisers to decide which route to go…something he said he would do before he met with the doc today. All the “guessing” on what is wrong and how long he will be out gets really old.

19. kylexitron says: Jul 30, 2013 4:27 PM

the 12th man loves all the hawk-hate, especially from teams we beat soundly. Without Harvin.

20. youarejealousof6rings says: Jul 30, 2013 4:27 PM

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall..

21. buzzkillbill says: Jul 30, 2013 4:28 PM

Sounds like no surgery. I just wanna see this guy play. I would never want to see one of the most exciting players in the league sit.

22. GoHawks.info says: Jul 30, 2013 4:29 PM

Vikes-he isn’t sure how he hurt it. He was running at full speed during mini camps and in workouts the week before training camp started. He was a little sore so they did an MRI and found a minor tear. This isn’t something left over from last season.

As for the Vikings looking like a smart organization…the have some work left on that. After all, they did use a 1st round pick on Ponder.

23. barkymingo says: Jul 30, 2013 4:29 PM

Is this the same guy who wanted Megatron money?? Harvin has been a joke since he came into the league. Its Seattles fault for signing him to a large contract. Dude is glass.

24. seabrawk12 says: Jul 30, 2013 4:31 PM

Get healthy first Percy, we can still use you in the playoffs. Go Hawks

25. threedeep1998 says: Jul 30, 2013 4:32 PM

minnesoulja says:
    Jul 30, 2013 4:23 PM
    He’s your problem now…

—————————————————–

I’m surprised more rubes don’t know that he was diagnosed with a sleeping disorder and that is what caused the migraines. He played all 16 games in 2011 and hadn’t had a headache since. Pretty bad joke now

26. minnesoulja says: Jul 30, 2013 4:33 PM

I work with a guy who gives my posts a thumbs down just to spite me…. It makes me want to post his phone number on here and tell you all to call him and order 40 pizzas to his house.

27. decon49 says: Jul 30, 2013 4:38 PM

they don’t need him, they had 3 extra draft picks and 67 mill lying around so why not throw it at him

28. daysend564 says: Jul 30, 2013 4:41 PM

vikesindividual says:
    Jul 30, 2013 4:20 PM

Karma is… well, it’s great sometimes.
    ===============
    McKinnie has one more ring than Viking’s history.

29. mnmarine0351 says: Jul 30, 2013 4:41 PM

Got to say im a lil disappointed in my fellow Vikings fans here and all the other fans who think this is amusing. I was a big fan of Harvin and will continue to wear his jersey now and then. He did not like to practice but showed up on game day and played his heart out. He did suffer migraines and had some injuries but except for last season he rarely actually missed a game. Am I the only fan on this site who would like to see my team play and win against another teams best players rather than laugh at injuries and play against their backups

30. threedeep1998 says: Jul 30, 2013 4:41 PM

hartdaddy says:
    Jul 30, 2013 4:20 PM
    —————————————————-

Well, he did play all of 2011 and missed maybe 3 games total before that?

31. timbuttrum says: Jul 30, 2013 4:43 PM

Couldn’t happen to a better team.

32. largent80 says: Jul 30, 2013 4:44 PM

Or, Kelly was still finishing up the back 9 at Bethpage and hasn’t seen him yet. I mean, it’s a weekday in July, and the guy’s a doctor. :)

33. joeflaccosunibrow says: Jul 30, 2013 4:45 PM

vikesindividual says:Jul 30, 2013 4:20 PM

Karma is… well, it’s great sometimes.
    ————————————–
    The Ravens picked him up as a FA. Not a trade. The Wizard of Oz is not stupid!

I would not have given even a 7th rounder for Harvin!

34. jonbeck316 says: Jul 30, 2013 4:48 PM

Now the Seahawks are planning to trade for Herschel Walker to replace Harvin’s production

35. Advanced Strength Training Programs says: Jul 30, 2013 4:50 PM

A lot of things went right for Seattle last year. The universe is just balancing itself out

36. johnnytarr says: Jul 30, 2013 4:51 PM

minnesoulja says:
    Jul 30, 2013 4:33 PM
    ================================

Do it! On all different posts!

37. dcapettini says: Jul 30, 2013 4:51 PM

It makes me sick to see all these Viking fans gloating over this young man’s misfortune. Hey guys, what have you won lately? Let’s see, you last went to the Super Bowl in 1977 (only 36 years ago, before any of your current players were born), where you completed your 4 game losing streak. And, your brilliant management fell for the most lopsided deal in league history with the Hershel Walker trade. No wonder you gloat over someone else’s misfortune, never having had good fortune yourselves.

38. minnesotasoundscape says: Jul 30, 2013 4:52 PM

Ugh. Percy is a heck of a player – and we’ll miss his talents in Minnesota. We won’t miss the attitude though. Hopefully the injury isn’t serious – and it doesn’t impact him in the long run. With that said – looks like Spielman did the right thing. Now let’s see what happens with Ponder…

39. seabrawk12 says: Jul 30, 2013 4:54 PM

So much hate. Get well Percy the 12 man still supports you unlike other fan bases. Hopefully we can use you come playoff time. Go Hawks

40. nflpoker says: Jul 30, 2013 4:55 PM

Hopefully, the injury is not too bad and I hope he has a speedy recovery. Still you have to say to Vikings came out on top in this trade. They needed a cornerback and the got Rhodes for the 25th pick. One of the picks they traded away to get Patterson, a 3rd, was really not as expensive as I thought. Seattle gave the Vikings a 3rd rounder for next years draft, so no damage there, since now the Vikings have 2 3rd round picks next draft. We all knew here in Minnesota that Harvin was going to get his yearly owie. No surprise. Good one Spielman.

41. dstep24 says: Jul 30, 2013 4:57 PM

While the fans in Minnesota are giggling, they should probably stop giggling for one second and remember that Christian Ponder is their QB.

Have fun with that.

42. mrmcl says: Jul 30, 2013 4:58 PM

I’m a Viking fan but I’m not giggling. I wish Percy well. MN was wise to trade him though; once he got paid there was always the concern he’d lose the edge that made him so tough.

43. trollhammer20 says: Jul 30, 2013 5:03 PM

blowpackblow says: Jul 30, 2013 4:13 PM

All I can hear is the entire state of MN giggling…
    ___________________________

You mean the echoes of the wails of despair after the Favre INT against the Saints have finally died down?

44. censoredagain says: Jul 30, 2013 5:09 PM

Serves those idiots right for giving a constantly injured player a huge deal. The joke is definitely on them.

45. nflpoker says: Jul 30, 2013 5:14 PM

dstep24 says:
    Jul 30, 2013 4:57 PM
    ————————————————–

I have to agree with you, even though I am a Vikings fan. If/when Ponder starts to have problems this year, I hope they don’t handle it like the TJack experiment (debacle). Once was enough.

46. chillyball says: Jul 30, 2013 5:18 PM

I’m a Viking fan. But c’mon, y’all can’t harp on the Seachickens because Percy didn’t want to stay in MN. I’ll be the first to admit Christian Ponder blows and I’m hoping he’s done at the end of the year (or earlier if possible). You can’t blame Percy for tasting Filet Mignion (Favre) and then going to chuck round (Ponder). If I was calling the shots in MN, I would have gave Percy his money and sent Ponder packing and start Matt Cassel.

Don’t get upset when the Seachickens beat the Vikes.

And Aaron Rodgers is a egomaniac.

47. hrmlss says: Jul 30, 2013 5:18 PM

Bryan Kelly is a Dr now? Isn’t he a coach somewhere?

48. vikingjim60 says: Jul 30, 2013 5:20 PM

Huge Viking Fan and Huge Percy Fan. No gloating here. Hated to see him go, and hate to see him hurt. Percy played his ass off for us despite some tough issues-migraines, injuries, and a rough QB situation. But, we were given too much to pass up for him and in essence got a 1, 3, and a 7 plus Greg Jennings. The contract hit we would have taken to resign him, with the risks associated were too big, and the offer from Seattle was a good one. They felt they were on the cusp, we felt we needed long term cap room and another first and third is always a bonus. Good luck to Percy-I want to see him succeed wherever he is.

49. jwil007 says: Jul 30, 2013 5:23 PM

He didn’t slip on 1 of those doughnuts Golden Tate stole did he?????

50. praetorian12 says: Jul 30, 2013 5:23 PM

I’m amazed (Again) at how much traffic and comments a Seahawks “non-story” (no new information to report) drives to this website. It’s obvious very few people are indifferent to the Seattle Seahawks anymore.

51. filthymcnasty1 says: Jul 30, 2013 5:28 PM

Karma from the tainted catch continues to manifest itself in mysterious ways.

52. nflpoker says: Jul 30, 2013 5:33 PM

chillyball says:
    Jul 30, 2013 5:18 PM
    ————————————————
    Can’t argue there. Ponder is a cheaper cut of meat.

53. allday28mvpmvp says: Jul 30, 2013 5:34 PM

So glad the Vikes traded this injury prone, locker room headache, or should I say migrane

54. bennyb82 says: Jul 30, 2013 5:34 PM

I know everyone is getting their jabs in but there is no doubt in my mind that Sundays are better when he plays. He is seriously talented and it is unfortunate that he is not on the field more than he is…regardless of the reason.

55. Norseman says: Jul 30, 2013 5:35 PM

I wonder if Paul Allen is going to put in a new rule for the Seahawks: no more acquisitions from the Vikings.

Not that I’m complaining as a Vikings fan. T. Jack, Sidney Rice, Percy Harvin…

Well, at least Antoine Winfield isn’t injured. Yet.

56. justintuckrule says: Jul 30, 2013 5:39 PM

only chicks say “karma”

57. jayhawk777 says: Jul 30, 2013 5:42 PM

Whiners have a porous swiss cheese secondary.

Don’t have any receivers. Oh, Boldin the prez of the AARP.

The Vikings have unknown rookies and a garbage QB in Ponder, so Vikes nose dive.

Harvin was a luxury selection. Hawks have minimal weaknesses if any.

Get your jollies in now and get ready with another screen name as these will be obsolete in a few months.

58. pillowporkers says: Jul 30, 2013 5:48 PM

————————————————–

That’s great except all those teams had at least 1 first round pick, though. Don’t act like you aren’t disappointed.

59. vikingsrulez69 says: Jul 30, 2013 5:55 PM

It’s almost like we’ve broken free of whatever curse has been haunting my Vikes…

60. carpi2 says: Jul 30, 2013 5:56 PM

I figured Harvin would eventually miss significant time with an injury at some point in the season.

Didn’t see it happening this fast, though.

61. vikings28 says: Jul 30, 2013 6:00 PM

He’s a Randy Moss JR!!! He’ll play when he wants to play. When he wants to play, he’s a great, great player.
    Rumors out of MN were that once he got paid, he’d be pulling this stuff.
    I’m thinking….just my guess…..he’s known about this for a while. He may have played with this last year, but if people found out about it, he wouldn’t get as much guaranteed money. He fought through it to get paid, not he’s Sydney Rice…..
    oh wait……They both are on the same team. The vikes learned from Rice. Thank you Sid the Kid!!!!

62. peoplesrepublic0fdabayarea says: Jul 30, 2013 6:12 PM

The SF bay area sends their regards to Percy Harvin.

———————————–

The People’s Republic Concurs

63. donth8thehorns says: Jul 30, 2013 6:13 PM

Ill say it 1 more time! He was OROY/
    He is a gamer! ? Injury prone??? What? Last year he was MVP candidate until his high ankle sprain!! He missed 3 games in 3 years prior! He is a stud and MN fans miss him! Only the Rubes that post on this site, would say anything negative! We always love Harvin, and Who doesn’t enjoy am occasional Toke!!!!420 boy

64. justintuckrule says: Jul 30, 2013 6:20 PM

If Harvin never plays again, this trade will go down right under the Herschel Walker trade for biggest heist ever with Minny half-righting that ship.

65. decon49 says: Jul 30, 2013 6:23 PM

alex smith was an mvp candidate at one point last season too

66. purpleguy says: Jul 30, 2013 6:26 PM

This Viking fan hopes Percy is okay even if he was a pain when he was in MN. When he recovers, he will be a pretty damn good weapon for the Hawks. Admittedly, his current health does lessen the pain of losing him

67. chrismatthewsucks says: Jul 30, 2013 6:31 PM

Are Niner fans really clowin’? You have a 1st rounder of a WR from last year that DID nothing, I mean ZERO, was on the field for like 2 snaps..

68. taintedsaints2009 says: Jul 30, 2013 6:33 PM

69. oreo51 says: Jul 30, 2013 6:35 PM

Reports indicate Harvin is going to consider his options over night and we should have a decision on surgery tomorrow.

The Hawks are so deep at WR that losing Harvin for the year might be a blessing in disguise. Jermaine Kearse, Stephen Williams, Phil Bates, Chris Harper and Bryan Harper all look like they belong in the NFL. They can’t keep them all and their starters, too.

70. fluffy19 says: Jul 30, 2013 6:43 PM

For anyone getting bent out of shape about the “negativity” of the comments here has really thin skin. The only thing close to trash talk I’ve seen here from a Vikes fan was that the state of MN is giggling. Oooooh, really harsh and insensitive, eh? The truth is, Percy snubbed us. He snubbed the organization who drafted him despite character issues out of FL, he snubbed the fans who cheered and praised him, he snubbed Ponder before the kid had even had a practice with the team (Ponder tried to organize workouts during the lock out…Percy was offended that Ponder even asked him to come). Percy played hard, super hard…for a contract and a ticket out of town. He hated Minnesota and the Vikings. So are we supposed to be broken up about this recent turn of bad luck? I’m not, nor am I condoning, cheering for injury. But I’m absolutely entitled to a little giggle when my team makes a savvy move and a player who holds my team hostage to get his way out of town becomes someone else’s problem.

For those who bash Ponder, easy pickings I guess. But you’d better hope he doesn’t figure it out. This team will be scary if he does. CP84 looks the part!

71. fluffy19 says: Jul 30, 2013 6:44 PM

@oreo51

——-Um, WHO?

72. fluffy19 says: Jul 30, 2013 6:47 PM

Also, did anyone else see the report that Antoine Winfield is in heated competition and might not even make the final roster? Dang, Seahawks secondary is real deal!!!

73. nflpoker says: Jul 30, 2013 6:49 PM

Don’t get too pleased with yourselves, Seattle fans. Heaven forbid, but what if Wilson went down with an ACL tear or other bad injury? One Seattle fan on here thought this Harvin injury was a non-story as their team was so good. Things can bring you back to reality really quick. That was a lot of money and draft picks they spent to get Harvin.

74. Frazier28/7 says: Jul 30, 2013 6:50 PM

In Minnesota when a player gets off the field when they become injured we applaud during a game. Wish this Harvin guy well in his recovery, but it couldn’t have been a more ironic time to get injured after the trade. He’s a beast though when healthy, but we’re cool with Patterson, Jennings, Rudolph and the MVP

75. swaggyy says: Jul 30, 2013 6:51 PM

Still got a better QB and way better WRs than the 49ers so I’m happy about that. Look, we were 30 seconds from the NFC championship game without harvin, on the road with a rookie QB. If you really think not having Harvin for an extended period of time is going to bother us….think again. Still the best team in the NFC. Actually the NFL.

76. monkeyboymotors says: Jul 30, 2013 6:56 PM

Wow 2013, the 1st year trolls bothered paying attention to the seahawks. What a strange world we live in. What’s next? Maybe they’ll switch to a NFC division.

77. purp1eone says: Jul 30, 2013 7:06 PM

I don’t know why anyone would hate on Harvin.

The Vikings got a good deal and so did the seachickens. The dude is a beast when he has the ball in his hands. His only deal is he is a head case would have liked to seen him stay but Patterson will be all that and some.

He needs to realize when to not take on the big collision and avoid contact or he will be done in a couple of years but he is sure fun to watch.

You seachicken fans will enjoy watching him when he does play.

78. skarfacci says: Jul 30, 2013 7:09 PM

Have fun hoping he gets healthy. He’s a diva.

79. securb2013 says: Jul 30, 2013 7:33 PM

When this preseason is over Austin Collie is going to have enough frequent flier miles to buy Madden 25 and a new PS3.

80. nflpoker says: Jul 30, 2013 7:50 PM

Seattle fans = delusions of grandeur

81. drock36 says: Jul 30, 2013 7:59 PM

Nothing like reporting gossip as news.

82. billbrasky72 says: Jul 30, 2013 8:02 PM

LOL Harvin just tweeted he needs hip surgery!!!

83. crownontherocks says: Jul 30, 2013 8:03 PM

Its offical, he needs surgery

84. northstarnic says: Jul 30, 2013 8:05 PM

It’s Percy. Fairly safe to assume the worst.
    My prediction: season ending surgery, conflicting opinions between player and coaches/training staff on when he will return, and Percy sulking and staying away from the team due to the conflicting views. I think we all know this tune.

85. billbrasky72 says: Jul 30, 2013 8:07 PM

How is he going to be able to score TD’s from a hospital bed? LOL.

86. thejuddstir says: Jul 30, 2013 8:07 PM

Percy just tweeted that he needs hip surgery. Damn, the vikes do it again to the adderhawks. how do they do it???? even bigger than percy needing surgery, is the bad chemistry the adderhawks created by trying to tell harvin that he could play through the injury. Pete Carroll obviously didn’t pay attention that Percy’s mentor is none other than Randy (I play when I want to)Moss. Percy doesn’t like anyone telling him what to do or what is best for him, and that’s why he quit on the Vikings at mid-season last year. The adderhawks telling percy he could play injured just caused his locker room cancer to spread from low to high. Percy will never play out his contract in seattle, guaranteed.

87. sweetnlow44 says: Jul 30, 2013 8:15 PM

I’m a Seahawks fan and even though, yes, we did well last year without him, not having him on the field will hurt. Hopefully, it’s nothing too major and he can be heeled and up to speed for regular season. If not, we’re looking thin at WR. Rice, Tate, and Baldwin are solid players, but after that our depth isn’t great. It doesn’t help that TE is a weak spot as well.

88. vikesindividual says: Jul 30, 2013 8:15 PM

“McKinnie has one more ring than Viking’s history.”
    =================================

What’s your point? Greg Jennings has a ring too, but that doesn’t make him a big, lumbering, lazy oaf.

89. vikesindividual says: Jul 30, 2013 8:17 PM

“I believe the acquisition of Winfield on the Seahawks defense could make their secondary legendary.”

==================================

Tom Pelissero (USA Today) reported he’s heard rumors that Winfield might not even make the team, believe it or not. I tend to think he will, but then he has to stay healthy. That’s been a struggle for him the last few years. He missed a whopping 19 games in 2009 (with playoffs) and 2011 and hasn’t had back-to-back 16 game seasons since 2005-2006. That’s a long gap for an older player.

90. GenXJay says: Jul 30, 2013 8:24 PM

Towards the end of Percy’s tenure as a Viking, reports of his college days flooded media in conjunction to his outburst w/Frazier. The guy is poison.
    Talented, yes. But, so what if I feel ill will concerning his current status. Good-riddance.
    & on a side note, I hope ShAaron breaks a leg.

91. minnesoulja says: Jul 31, 2013 3:33 PM

threedeep1998 says:
    Jul 30, 2013 4:32 PM
    minnesoulja says:
    Jul 30, 2013 4:23 PM
    He’s your problem now…

—————————————————–

____________________________

Judging from my 151 likes to 15 dislikes, I think you are wrong. Only thing that changed was he found a new injury or reason to be a problem in the locker room and a non-factor on the field. I am guessing he knows the trainers and re-hab guys for all 32 teams and just likes the guy who wraps him in tape in Seattle the best. Saying anything else just feels…..

BELOW ME! (get it?)