Peterson targets Emmitt’s mark in 2017

Peterson AP

Eric Dickerson needs to worry about Adrian Peterson.  So does Emmitt Smith.

Peterson, who holds the single-game rushing record, openly has talked about toppling Dickerson’s single-season mark.  Now, Peterson is talking about becoming the all-time leading rusher.

With 9,506 yards to go, Peterson predicts he’ll surpass Smith’s mark of 18,355 within five seasons.

I have to do some calculations,” Peterson told Dan Wiederer of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.  “I’ve been in the league seven years.  I’m already right around [9,000].  Calculate it out. . . .  Let’s think.  Maybe get a couple 2,000 yard seasons. . . . I’ve got . . . hmmm . . . 2017.”

Peterson added that he believes it will happen late in the 2017 season.  Specifically, in Week 16.  By Wiederer’s calculations, Peterson needs to average more than 120 yards per game to get there.

We’ve got a feeling that, whether it’s in Week 16 of the 2017 season or Week 17 of 2018 or Week 18 (possibly) of 2019, the day is coming to, as Chad Johnson would say, kiss the baby.

Permalink 73 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
73 Responses to “Peterson targets Emmitt’s mark in 2017”
  1. elwaysagenius says: Jul 30, 2013 1:21 PM

This guy is clueless, wow. The HGH isn’t helping his brain at all.

2. tokyosandblaster says: Jul 30, 2013 1:21 PM

Too bad he has so much wear on those tires. He’s pretty talented, but won’t even be on a roster in 5 years.

3. mrjpil says: Jul 30, 2013 1:27 PM

What he lacks in confidence he makes up for in….confidence.

4. almighty1 says: Jul 30, 2013 1:28 PM

If he played for a good team I would believe this would be possible. But…

5. blacknole08 says: Jul 30, 2013 1:29 PM

I dont think he will do it in 5 years but if he averages 1500 in the next 6 seasons the record is his.

Then again he did break the single game rushing record in his rookie year. So if anyone can do it its AP.

6. ieatchickens says: Jul 30, 2013 1:31 PM

Does this mean we now get to hear Greg Jennings say things like, “hey 28 never mention the word team. 28 needs to be a leader and not worry about himself”.

7. dobberdubinsky says: Jul 30, 2013 1:31 PM

I’m not gonna say he can’t do it. After last season everyone should know not to doubt AD. Would love to see him do it but would have to be a miraculous five year run.

8. txraiderfan says: Jul 30, 2013 1:32 PM

Al Davis saw no reason to draft AP. After all, at that time, we had Justin Fargas toting the rock for us. #$@#$@#$^#$^#$^#$^#$^#$^#$^#$$^#$^#$, ugh, stupid, senile @$##$^%&&%$&^

9. herlies says: Jul 30, 2013 1:32 PM

PEDerson eyeing rushing records.

Jared Allen wants the sack record.

Greg Jennings wants more opportunities.

This “team” seems so misguided.

10. sdcameron says: Jul 30, 2013 1:32 PM

I would like to see it but so many running backs begin to break down when they turn 30, Peterson is going to have to prove to be the exception to the rule.

11. wsperegoiv says: Jul 30, 2013 1:35 PM

Even if he doesn’t reach the record he’ll still be in the top 5 of running backs all time and maybe the greatest once it’s all said and done.

12. touchdownroddywhite says: Jul 30, 2013 1:35 PM

I wouldn’t believe any other RB making such a claim, even without the time stamp, but Peterson… I believe that guy. He’s a different breed than most others, for sure.

13. ftomasic1961 says: Jul 30, 2013 1:36 PM

yes, well, might as well go for personal glory, who wants a lombardi anyway….

aaah, all hail the new ME generation….

14. eastcoastninerfan says: Jul 30, 2013 1:37 PM

I’d love to chime in and say some sarcastic remark…but this is AP and I refuse to doubt him anymore.

15. lgbarn says: Jul 30, 2013 1:37 PM

It’s a ridiculous prediction but if anyone can do it, he can. If you gave me a choice between Peterson and Emmit, I take AP all day. Imagine what he could have done behind that Dallas O-line.

16. GenXJay says: Jul 30, 2013 1:37 PM

The reckoning is here. All Day is trucking over defenses in 2014.
    good luck, other 31 teams.

17. 8to80texansblog says: Jul 30, 2013 1:43 PM

Yeah…. Peterson is great but to average 1900 yds a season for 5 seasons…. delusional.

Look at the last few rushing champs…. all of them have taken a step back the following year. He should be happy with 1600 this year.

18. thejimius says: Jul 30, 2013 1:43 PM

Count me as one of the people who believe Emmitt Smith’s durability and longevity at the halfback position is perhaps his most amazing feat–he had more carries than anybody in NFL history. Smith had 11 1,000 yard seasons in a row. Peterson would have 6 in a row were it not for his injury. In 5 seasons Peterson will have been in the league for 13 years. That’s a long time for a halfback, and a lot can happen between now and then.

If anybody can do it Peterson can, but to tell the truth I don’t think anybody will be breaking that record the way the position is going.

19. bigdogbob says: Jul 30, 2013 1:47 PM

People were saying this same sort of thing about Ladanian Tomlinson at this point in his career, and he had 300 more yards after his first 6 seasons than Peterson has. We all saw how that turned out, a Hall of Fame career but no where near the record. I will start considering it a possibility when he passes 14,000 yards and he still has a long way to go to get there. I am not saying he isn’t great. One more season and he is probably going to get in the HoF himself, but with his violent style of running it is going to be difficult for him to last long enough to hit 18,000 yards.

20. floratiotime says: Jul 30, 2013 1:49 PM

There’s no ‘I’ in team. But somewhere there’s a great big one hidden in Peterson.

21. raiderufan says: Jul 30, 2013 1:51 PM

Reporter asks question.

AP obliges with an anwer both probably fun and semi serious.

AP is arrogant jerk that needs to shut his mouth.

Sound about right?

22. jerrysphincterjones says: Jul 30, 2013 1:53 PM

With his running style I would be a bit surprised if he could make it that far. That being said, I wouldn’t bet against him either!

23. chino1985 says: Jul 30, 2013 1:55 PM

Hard to imagine someone with his running style to stay healthy long enough to break Smith’s record especially when he gets into his mid 30s. Say what you want about old E but the one thing you can’t deny was his durability.

24. dallashomer says: Jul 30, 2013 1:57 PM

Good luck to ya, AP. While I’d love to see a Texan grab the record, don’t take longevity for granted.

25. steaderic says: Jul 30, 2013 2:00 PM

26. seanleemvp says: Jul 30, 2013 2:04 PM

I dont think that record will ever fall. Even if AP is still a decent back in 5 years someone will have to be feeding him carries. Most teams move on to the next best YOUNG thing.

Emmitt wont loose any sleep over this

27. titansbro says: Jul 30, 2013 2:04 PM

No freaking way.

28. mantastic54 says: Jul 30, 2013 2:08 PM

I’m sure I’m in the minority but I think this year starts petersons decline. Workhorse backs like him tend to fall off after year 6, sometimes you can put it off a year or two if you start out splitting carries, but Peterson has been the workhorse since day 1. Nobody kept themselves in better shap than Tomlinson and even he fell off after year 6

29. poiuyt7 says: Jul 30, 2013 2:10 PM

For Adrian Peterson, it’s all about the records. That’s all he seems to care about these days.

30. whatjusthapped says: Jul 30, 2013 2:13 PM

I will say he is the best RB in the game today but that does not make him any less delusional than his fellow teammate, Jared, “I’ll have another serving of Road Kill” Allen. (notice how the Vikings are always emphasizing individual goals, not that of the team).

All this me, me, me talk, no wonder Jennings sign with the Vikings. It sure wasn’t for another Superbowl ring.

31. skolvike says: Jul 30, 2013 2:13 PM

You know what? You don’t have to like the Vikings to like this young man. He’s a decent guy, no issues, works his heart out and gives everything he’s got. If you don’t think he’s fun to watch (Okay, against everyone except your team, maybe!) you don’t like football, just a certain shade of jersey. Look, I’m a Viking fan but I love to watch players of the quality of Rodgers, Megatron, Brady, RGIII — and Adrian Peterson. These guys are the epitome of what makes the NFL what it is.

Run, Adrian, run!

32. filthymcnasty1 says: Jul 30, 2013 2:17 PM

The Vikings focus on stat padding helps explain their lack of success in the Won/Lost columns.

33. firestarter0728 says: Jul 30, 2013 2:19 PM

Due to the terrible QB situation in Minnesota, they’ll have to feed him the ball 500 times to gain any yardage at all. And nobody can withstand that kind of pounding, not even with the aid of PEDs.

Adrian Peterson will have 600 yards by the 8th game, at which time he’ll blow out his other knee and be done for 2013.

34. silentfreedom5 says: Jul 30, 2013 2:22 PM

I like how they dont show the actual quote like how they were joking around and this was all in good fun, or that AD said this might be pushing it but would be a good tool to motivate

35. gbmickey says: Jul 30, 2013 2:26 PM

Of course viking fans wont admit it but this guy seems more interested in personal glory than the team. Even if a reporter asked you would expect the answer to be i cant look beyond this season. I will do what i can to help us win.

36. foul83 says: Jul 30, 2013 2:27 PM

Football is good.

37. staffordsyear says: Jul 30, 2013 2:30 PM

Lol, hes got a looong way to go.

38. hatesycophants says: Jul 30, 2013 2:40 PM

Even if he does (he won’t?), so what? Smiff has the record, but everyone knows there are three guys behind him who were better running backs.

Barry Sanders is still the greatest pure running back ever. Ever!

39. filthymcnasty1 says: Jul 30, 2013 2:42 PM

Individual stats.

I swear the Vikings could go 0-16 and they’d be content if their punter led the league.

Individual stats are the playground of the feeble minded Viking fans.

40. Advanced Strength Training Programs says: Jul 30, 2013 2:53 PM

The only rb I would put ahead of Smith is Sanders. AP has a lot of hits to take between now and then. Good luck but talking won’t get him there

41. ruvelligwebuike says: Jul 30, 2013 2:53 PM

It breaks my black heart to have to like this guy, but I do. There just aren’t many guys that play every down 100% anymore, and he is one of them. It’s a shame he has to live in Minnesota for part of the year.

42. ejmat2 says: Jul 30, 2013 2:56 PM

elwaysagenius says: Jul 30, 2013 1:21 PM

This guy is clueless, wow. The HGH isn’t helping his brain at all.
    ————————————————-
    Did I miss something? Do you have a link that AP used HGH? Or just spouting crap from your keyboard? Which one is it?

43. ejmat2 says: Jul 30, 2013 2:58 PM

gbmickey says: Jul 30, 2013 2:26 PM

—————————————-
    Yeah as evidenced in the fact he came out of the game last year in week 16 without complaining and the fact he was happy the Vikings kicked that FG in week 17 instead of going for the record.

A man is allowed to have personal goals. But keep twisting it as if it’s all about him. He wants to win as much as any other person out on the field. Give it up already.

44. ejmat2 says: Jul 30, 2013 2:59 PM

filthymcnasty1 says: Jul 30, 2013 2:17 PM

——————————–
    LOL. Only one game behind the Pack and better than 2/3s of the rest of the league. Yeah your statement is real valid….NOT!!!!!!!!!!

45. larrydavid7000 says: Jul 30, 2013 3:00 PM

God I hope so anyone but E.Smith. I was sad when Walter record was broken and I am not a bear fan I am just OLD SCHOOL. HTTR.!!!!!!!!!

46. filthymcnasty1 says: Jul 30, 2013 3:19 PM

Adrian Peterson and Jared Allen have become infected with Chris Carter disease.

“Me, me, me, me, me, me……………………….”

Successful teams don’t let these kind of egomaniacs subjugate the team goals for their personal agendas.

47. siaaa says: Jul 30, 2013 3:26 PM

theres no doubting his greatness but reality is that he’s already 28 and will hit a wall between 30-32. this a brutal physical game that will make you age real fast. when its all said and done he will finish at about 15k yards at best and will most likely never match what he did last year as that will be his best season ever. look back at all the great record years for the players in the past and see how they generally did the following year. usually, not even close.

48. mvp43 says: Jul 30, 2013 3:29 PM

AP is a great football player without a doubt. As a Packer fan I can tell you that I don’t relish the thought of playing him twice a year. Barry Sanders is the only RB that I enjoyed watching as much as AP.

I hope he gets that record because I like the guy personally and he’s a hard worker. Now, having said that, I think it will be very difficult for a few reasons. Obviously he has to stay healthy, but if he does, I think he has 5 good to great seasons left. Because of his running style, he’ll probably breakdown sooner than he thinks. That means just over 1900 yds per season. That’s a tall task, especially on a team that’s trying to develope a young QB. I wish him luck….

49. tombradyswig says: Jul 30, 2013 3:33 PM

Love AP BUT, he’ll need a dam body transplant if this were to happen! TOO MUCH WEAR AND TEAR!!

50. 28for20 says: Jul 30, 2013 3:34 PM

Packer defenders will gain 100 more yards than Peterson this year. At least that’s how far AD will knock them backwards!

51. peopletrains says: Jul 30, 2013 3:42 PM

Zero chance.

52. yamchargers says: Jul 30, 2013 4:03 PM

As an LT fan I thought something similar. The problem is that the 2nd 9000 are about 10 times harder to get than the first 9000.

53. gbmickey says: Jul 30, 2013 4:03 PM

And you guys say Rodgers is arrogant. Even though he easily could talk about his accomplishments he never does always reverting back to the team unlike peterson who refers to himself at every opportunity.

54. filthymcnasty1 says: Jul 30, 2013 4:09 PM

Hmmmm, the pursuit of individual stats above all else. I believe Qadry Ismail called it “extreme selfishness”.

55. bigdaadee says: Jul 30, 2013 4:15 PM

I say NO WAY, not because AD can’t do it. Because he won’t have to do it. He has a more talented roster and his touches will go down. Ponder will improve and throw more also. So I’m saying no because of team not because of ability.

56. golforepar says: Jul 30, 2013 4:26 PM

Vikes seem to need a few more Packers! Since the ones they got are having a hard time convincing the team the ONLY stat that is important is WINNING!

57. rikker12 says: Jul 30, 2013 4:36 PM

Steriods make you stupid….

58. doubleogator says: Jul 30, 2013 4:38 PM

Sounds like a real team player to me….Minny fans can stop thinking super bowl as long as AP keeps thinking like this…

59. jerrysphincterjones says: Jul 30, 2013 5:56 PM

steaderic says: Jul 30, 2013 2:00 PM:

“It’s comments like these that will assure you that number 1 spot in fantasy drafts now and for years to come. Now, who should I take at 10?”

I know the question is rhetorical in nature, but I just cant help myself! Lynch, Morris or Richardson. Whichever of those three are still left on the board. Damn I cant wait for the drafts!!!

60. tokyosandblaster says: Jul 30, 2013 6:16 PM

doubleogator says:
    Jul 30, 2013 4:38 PM

—–

They actually don’t care. Start talking about divisional championships from the 70’s and 80’s, and they’ll tell you that that’s all that matters.

61. Frazier28/7 says: Jul 30, 2013 6:41 PM

If anyone can do, it’s Adrian Peterson.

You’d think the packers weren’t in camp with all their fans posting on Viking threads. Pay attention to your own team and stop worrying about how good the Vikings will be.

62. Frazier28/7 says: Jul 30, 2013 6:44 PM

And saying all Adrian Peterson cares about are stats and not winning, play the clip right after he came up 9 yards of the record.

He stated, just 9 yards? But we made the playoffs, right? Thats all that matters.

63. skolvikes says: Jul 30, 2013 6:52 PM

Well this certainly turned into a Packer troll circle jerk quickly.

Sure RBs will inevitably go through a tremendous amount of wear and tear over time and slow down, but we’ve also never seen someone who is the physical specimen that AD is play the game. If anyone can do it, the best money is on him.

The only person that I can think of that kept himself in better physical condition would be Jerry Rice and he did pretty well with longevity.

64. axespray says: Jul 30, 2013 6:57 PM

Wow – he’s only half way there – damn…
    I sometimes forget how good and durable guys like Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders were.

I figured Peterson was like – 60% there…

65. punkthepack says: Jul 30, 2013 7:32 PM

Peterson has to gain 120 yards per game to reach the record by his timetable. Very attainable. Packer fans hope any of their runners can gain 120 yards in 2 games. That would be a stretch.

66. filthymcnasty1 says: Jul 30, 2013 8:06 PM

punkthepack says: Jul 30, 2013 7:32 PM

*******************************************

Packer fans don’t really care as long as they keep beating Adrian Peterson and the hapless, tasteless Vikings twice per season, the way they have in each of the last 3 seasons.

67. lakermetskins says: Jul 30, 2013 8:30 PM

Week 16, 2017. He calculated that pretty fast-like Rainman. Maybe he’s a Savant too!

68. stellarperformance says: Jul 30, 2013 10:48 PM

Peterson is very good and he seems like a good person. But whenever somebody starts talking about how good they are before they’re that good, they continue to fail. It’s a vicious cycle. Superiority complexes run rampant in Minnesota. Listen to the braggart fans…… you’d think the Vikings have already accomplished something. Does overeating and passing out from Jell-O shots cause this behavior? Does wearing baseball caps backwards when you’re over forty cause brain damage? How about wearing sunglasses at night….could that be a factor? I’m trying to help. I really am.

69. smittee22 says: Jul 30, 2013 11:54 PM

Compared to Emmitt at the same point in their careers, Adrian has roughly 110 less yards on roughly 250 less carries. If he can stay healthy for the next 7 years he has a legit chance at doing it. Breaking it by 2017 is probably pushing it though. I sure hope he does it!!

70. sc49ers says: Jul 31, 2013 12:14 AM

He’s a beast he will b the badest back ever..yes he will…..pure..and he doesnt cheat..

71. skimbell says: Jul 31, 2013 9:31 AM

“herlies says: Jul 30, 2013 1:32 PM

PEDerson eyeing rushing records.

Jared Allen wants the sack record.

Greg Jennings wants more opportunities…”
    You’d think maybe one of them would want a Lombardi Trophy.

72. skybox22blog says: Aug 1, 2013 2:28 PM

Does anyone have stats for most playoff rushing yards available? Just wanted to see where they all stack up. We Thanks

73. alimnassor says: Aug 4, 2013 9:19 AM

For everyone that says it was Emmitt Smith’s offensive line that was the reason for his greatness, here’s something to think about From 1990 to 2002 Emmitt played behind 5 different centers, 4 different right tackles, 9 different right guards, 5 different left guards and 4 different left tackles. What was the only constant in in that time span? Emmitt.

Oh, and those were just the starting lineups at the beginning of each season. Cant even count the number of times a 2nd or 3rd string lineman came in and played due to injury