Tony Romo wants to play Sunday, but says it’s up to Garrett

Tony Romo, Bill Callahan, Kyle Orton, Wade Wilson AP

Last week, Cowboys coach Jason Garrett appeared to be leaning toward holding quarterback Tony Romo out of Sunday’s Hall of Fame Game against the Dolphins.

While Garrett left the door open to a cameo appearance for a series to start things off, he intimated that the preseason opener would be quarterbacked by Nick Stephens and Alex Tanney as they battle for the third spot on the depth chart. Romo knows that such a limited appearance doesn’t sound like much, but he’s still hoping that Garrett decides to call his number in Canton even though he’s been limited in preseason reps because of the back surgery to remove a cyst that he had this offseason.

“I don’t know that first series, if I did play, it would be a series, whether you went eight plays or three plays, I’m not sure how much that is going to affect that,” Romo said, via the team’s website. “Saying that, I still want to play every time I suit up. Every time I step out there your juices are flowing and you want to compete. From that perspective, yeah. But whatever the coaches want.”

It’s hard to imagine that Romo’s desire to play will sway Garrett when the Cowboys still have four more preseason games to play. That allows the team to give Romo more time to make sure all is well after surgery without altering the normal preseason schedule for their starting quarterback.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Tony Romo wants to play Sunday, but says it’s up to Garrett”
  1. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jul 30, 2013 11:23 AM

On one hand, they have an extra preseason game so there really is no reasaon to rush to put Romo out there after his surgery.

On the other hand, it is a highly watched game with a national TV audience and fans would like to see him play at least a series. Tough call.

2. phinswinafceast says: Jul 30, 2013 11:24 AM

ain’t going to be a fun game to watch the 3rd stringers playing all 4 quarters, wtf Jerry, get on Garrett’s ass about this and let’s watch some good football, not some bs

3. superhotbug says: Jul 30, 2013 11:24 AM

Yea, I know why the coach is reluctant, and their names are Wake and Jordan. S P L A T !

4. olcap says: Jul 30, 2013 11:27 AM

And he’s the best QB in the league, too!!! Just ask Jerrah, Roger, Garrett… etc.

5. PeterKingLovesCoqAVin says: Jul 30, 2013 11:36 AM

I think Garrett will decide whether Romo plays and then Jerry will tell him whether he’s right or wrong.

6. tombradyswig says: Jul 30, 2013 11:42 AM

It aint up to Garret, it’s up to the GM/owner/Meddler… jerrah/aka cryptkeeper!

when will jason have his coaching duties yanked and given to callahan?!? the question for 2013

7. dlbpatsfan says: Jul 30, 2013 11:47 AM

The Hall of Fame game is Sunday?! Oh man where did the time go.

8. 737driver69 says: Jul 30, 2013 12:05 PM

Tony the imposter…………

9. tindeaux says: Jul 30, 2013 12:12 PM

antonio romo hasn’t been good. otherwise the cowboys would be the america’s team!!!

10. raiderufan says: Jul 30, 2013 12:14 PM

Why play him? I don’t get how it’s a question…offseason surgery + one week of pratice + 100 million dollars = don’t even put your pads on Tony.

11. seabreezes51 says: Jul 30, 2013 12:23 PM

Doesn’t Tony have to cut Jerry’s grass this Sunday?

12. bluentheface says: Jul 30, 2013 12:42 PM

I actually enjoy watching the young guns play, fighting for a roster spot or spotting a diamond in the rough. Hey it’s football. Can’t wait.

13. Advanced Strength Training Programs says: Jul 30, 2013 2:26 PM

I’m excited too. I want to see Tanney. Been hearing good things about him in camp. Take a look at the rb battle. Check out the wr’s. Add a little Jack Daniels and pizza and it sounds like a great time to me, whether or not the 9 car plays.

14. dukesplacebcm says: Jul 30, 2013 5:41 PM

they should fire him , they will never win with him

15. kmartin173 says: Jul 30, 2013 6:00 PM

I think playing him would be a brilliant move. If he gets some of those pick-sixes out of his system as early as possible he may not have so many left when December rolls around.