Chris Ivory forced out of practice when hamstring injury flares up

Chris Ivory AP

Wednesday was looking like a big day for Jets running back Chris Ivory.

He’d been limited to individual work in training camp because of a hamstring issue, but was scheduled to take part in a full practice for the first time. Ivory made it out to the field as planned, but he wasn’t able to stay there for very long. Ivory had to leave the field after his hamstring tightened up, leaving him to say that he felt he was “starting on the wrong foot” with the team that traded for him this offseason.

“Hamstrings are tricky,” Ivory said, via Mark Cannizzaro of the New York Post. “It can feel good and you can go out there like I did today and I thought I was ready, but I’m not ready. So it’s a feel thing. I don’t want to push it and make it a two-week injury. When it’s fixed I want to be able to stay out there and not go back and reinjure it.”

All the usual caveats about it being early in camp apply here, but the last thing the Jets need is an issue at running back and they have two of them on their plate right now. Mike Goodson still hasn’t reported to camp, casting doubt on whether he’ll be a part of the Jets team when the regular season rolls around, and now Ivory is dealing with a nagging hamstring injury that’s keeping him off the field.

When you already have uncertain situations, to put it mildly, at quarterback and wide receiver, it would be nice to have something you can rely on in the backfield. The Jets haven’t found that yet, which keeps the offensive outlook looking bleak.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Chris Ivory forced out of practice when hamstring injury flares up”
  1. floratiotime says: Jul 31, 2013 5:46 PM

Jets are rebuilding.

2. bubbybrister/shovelpass says: Jul 31, 2013 5:51 PM

No worries…
    Next man up !

3. jetsclaps says: Jul 31, 2013 5:52 PM

Just precautionary, Ivory is going to BEAST this year!

4. orndorf2 says: Jul 31, 2013 6:03 PM

Hate to say it but Ivory always has a nagging injury of some type & his hamstrings are chronically problematic. The Saints let him go based on their depth and due to his propensity to get injured…..it wasn’t because of his talent. He’s a beast when healthy….good luck Ivory.

5. 737driver69 says: Jul 31, 2013 6:53 PM

That is why we got rid of him, he cannot stay healthy. Good luck jets with this man…

6. nolahxc says: Jul 31, 2013 7:06 PM

That’s the most frustrating thing about Ivory…injuries!

But when he DOES play, you Jets fans will fall in love! I hope he shakes that injury bug quick because he deserves to have a successful career. Great player on and off the field.

7. northeastkiller says: Jul 31, 2013 7:23 PM

Ivory was great for the Saints, would’ve loved to keep him based on talent, but this kind of bug just always bit the guy. If he can stay on the field, he’ll be a superb pick up for the Jets. Big if, though. Hope it works for him.

8. axlviking says: Jul 31, 2013 7:47 PM

If the Jets were smart they’d bring in Tiki Barber. Tank the season and win the Jedeveon Clowney sweepstakes.

9. mungman69 says: Jul 31, 2013 8:16 PM

Dude can run but not right now.

10. ilovefoolsball says: Jul 31, 2013 8:32 PM

I remember vividly the time I saw Ivory in a game bending over pulling his toes trying to stretch out that hammy. Looks like he’s still got it.
    I hated when the saints traded him but now that I think about it I assume the saints brain trust is a lot smarter than the Jets’.
    They must’ve known something that no one else knew.

11. 4ever85 (aka Butch DeadLift) says: Jul 31, 2013 10:53 PM

Aaaand this is why the Aints dumped him.

McFadden/Murray/Matthews/Ivory.

Too bad. Ivory kind of reminds me of a glass Marion Barber.

12. uptjeff says: Aug 1, 2013 11:09 AM

Ivory — great player, always hurt. Nice doing business with you, Jets.