Riley Cooper apologizes for racist comment

Cooper Getty Images

Earlier today, a video surfaced of Eagles receiver Riley Cooper using one of the ugliest words in the English language.

We weren’t entirely sure that it was Cooper, so we waited to address it.  Cooper has now addressed it, with an apology.

“I am so ashamed and disgusted with myself,” Cooper said in a statement released by the team.  “I want to apologize.  I have been offensive.  I have apologized to my coach, to Jeffrey Lurie, to Howie Roseman and to my teammates.  I owe an apology to the fans and to this community.  I am so ashamed, but there are no excuses.  What I did was wrong and I will accept the consequences.”

The video was first posted by CrossingBroad.com.  In it, Cooper says, “I will jump that fence and fight every n—– in here.”

Cooper is being counted on to step up in 2013, now that receiver Jeremy Maclin is out for the year.  Instead, he has provided the organization with an unwanted distraction that may only go away when Cooper does.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
45 Responses to “Riley Cooper apologizes for racist comment”
  1. jeremywflores says: Jul 31, 2013 4:50 PM

LOOK AT THOSE PYTHONS.

Jk, he deserves a beatdown or something

2. norcalmafia says: Jul 31, 2013 4:50 PM

Oh Snap!

3. vgferenzi says: Jul 31, 2013 4:50 PM

Very stupid…but hard to enforce consequences when the division rival in DC has a racial slur for a team name that is just as offensive.

4. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: Jul 31, 2013 4:50 PM

What did he say? “The Jets are a great team” thats about the worst thing I can think of.

5. tjzoo says: Jul 31, 2013 4:52 PM

Why does a player in the spotlight have to apologize for what any random person (Racist or not) would say on any given day?

6. biggestredmiami says: Jul 31, 2013 4:52 PM

Riley Blooper.

7. tigers182 says: Jul 31, 2013 4:52 PM

What was the ugly word? “Adele”?

8. conchbybirth says: Jul 31, 2013 4:52 PM

What word did he use, “playoffs”?

9. blacknole08 says: Jul 31, 2013 4:54 PM

What are you sorry for? Let’s be real… he wouldn’t have apologized if it wasn’t caught on camera.

10. filthymcnasty1 says: Jul 31, 2013 4:54 PM

Chris Rock says it all the time. And Disney doesn’t seem to have any problem with it.

11. acmepackers says: Jul 31, 2013 4:54 PM

He didn’t say “viking” did he? Then what are we even worried about here?

12. digbysellers says: Jul 31, 2013 4:54 PM

If they’re really counting on Riley Pooper to be a huge part of their offense, they’re in HUGE trouble. This dude ain’t the balls.

13. spreadthecheese says: Jul 31, 2013 4:54 PM

Urban Meyer was his coach at Florida. Just sayin’.

14. phileborn says: Jul 31, 2013 4:54 PM

I’d be ashamed and disgusted with myself after I was caught too…….

15. milkmandanimal says: Jul 31, 2013 4:55 PM

Hey, have fun running patterns across the middle next year, Riley.

16. babyfarkmcgeezax says: Jul 31, 2013 4:55 PM

Did he say “Redskins”?

17. jimmylions says: Jul 31, 2013 4:56 PM

My gut on this … he’s used to saying idiotic things like that with his friends, without realizing how idiotic they sound. Today he found out how idiotic he sounds.

This moment will change his life.

18. hanifmiller says: Jul 31, 2013 4:57 PM

Im an Eagles fan and an African American. I demand my money back for my Riley Cooper jersey!!! Oh wait, I dont have a Riley Cooper jersey because he sucks. Go birds!

19. terrellblowens says: Jul 31, 2013 4:57 PM

Cooper got a little Riled up

20. beerbudsnbevo says: Jul 31, 2013 4:57 PM

He should loose his job and all of his endorsements just like other people who use the “N” word..

Like:
    Paula Deen
    Jay Z
    Chris Rock
    Al Sharpston

Well… Just Paula Deen

21. youarejealousof6rings says: Jul 31, 2013 4:59 PM

“I will jump that fence and fight every ninja in here.”

22. bigfish06 says: Jul 31, 2013 5:01 PM

Shouldn’t have said it, but I do wonder what context it was in.

23. 8to80texansblog says: Jul 31, 2013 5:02 PM

This is obviously Johnny Manziel’s fault….

24. natelan69 says: Jul 31, 2013 5:05 PM

“Dream team”.

25. 737driver69 says: Jul 31, 2013 5:19 PM

Too late for apology buddy…you reap what you sow….enough said

26. jeffsnow7 says: Jul 31, 2013 5:22 PM

Whats up with these University of Florida boys?

27. deenice810 says: Jul 31, 2013 5:23 PM

I would cut him for going to a Kenny Chesney concert.

28. trollaikman8 says: Jul 31, 2013 7:34 PM

Actually the first racist thing he did was attend a Kenny Chesney concert.

29. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jul 31, 2013 9:09 PM

I’m not interested in defending Cooper or any Eagle players for that matter but just be sure to jump on rap artists who use the term, with the same passion you go after Cooper. Just sayin’.

30. skinsfan91 says: Jul 31, 2013 9:26 PM

The word “redskins” isn’t a racial slur. It’s literally an exact translation to english from what Natives called themselves. The Natives also called whites “white skins”. Not a slur whatsoever.

31. steelerdynasty2010 says: Jul 31, 2013 9:27 PM

good thing racism is dead…we do have a black president and all, so i suppose the ENTIRE history of that word is now irrelevant….and i LOVE the “black people say it all the time” line….it’s a sad symptom and indication of the effect that word has had on our culture and society, particularly the people against whom the word was used at its’ inception.

32. captainstagger says: Jul 31, 2013 9:40 PM

Riley, did you say you were going to jump a fence???? Snipes and Harelson don’t think so……

33. itsfootballbaby says: Jul 31, 2013 10:04 PM

If Michael Vick said that, which you know he has, would he have to apologize?

34. bigjeter says: Jul 31, 2013 10:24 PM

How do you maintain words like that in your vocabulary when your teammates, your comrades, your fellow warriors, the people you bleed with………..85% of them are black. What a numbskull.

I bet this guy will get rocked early in the season. Better for him if he was the kicker. Anything but WR.

35. axespray says: Jul 31, 2013 10:55 PM

Surprised no one had a “Did Riley lie to Rodgers about being racist.” comment.

36. ishudbgm says: Jul 31, 2013 10:55 PM

Riley Cooper should get forced to be the starting receiver now. 16 weeks of running over the middle should wipe his mouth clean. Scary though to see how much racism still exist…YES, he is racist, that word doesn’t accidentally fly out of your mouth. When your upset or drunk sometimes the way you “really feel” just seems to slip out.

37. contraisloosebuthole says: Jul 31, 2013 11:58 PM

Big deal. I will quit saying it as soon as everyone else does. Go ahead and hit him hard next year I doubt it will be the first or the last.

38. boyshole25 says: Aug 1, 2013 7:27 AM

Doesn’t matter what color you are you shouldn’t say it. That said, all black athletes should be fined for the 50 times a practice they say it to eachother then

39. walkinginthewasteland says: Aug 1, 2013 8:06 AM

_______________

Huh, I just listened to it, and nowhere did I hear him say “Liberal”.

40. pukinbuzzard says: Aug 1, 2013 8:12 AM

there goes all his endorsement deals!!! wait who is he any way???

41. barryinlasvegas says: Aug 1, 2013 8:32 AM

It will become the worlds ugliest word when blacks quit using it – which will be never.

42. doubleogator says: Aug 1, 2013 3:45 PM

Big freakin deal, people of all colors say it all the time, there are MANY uglier words than that in the English language, so tired of whites having to apologize and walk on eggshells for fear of being labeled a racist, racism is a two way street, and I’m sure African Americans as they like to be called, have some pretty choice names for whites too, oh but I almost forgot, they can’t be racist because they are black…give me a break

43. tirc2328 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:57 PM

Words don’t offend. The thoughts conveyed by their utterance offend. The N-word, while not being the most elegant of words, is often uttered to convey positive or harmless thoughts. It is also uttered to convey mean-spirited white supremacists/white privilege racists thoughts. You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to tell the difference. Its not the word, it’s the racists thoughts conveyed; and you know the thoughts are racists by the manner in which it is uttered. What we should be attacking is white supremacist/white privilege racism. Period. We know what thoughts Riley Cooper was conveying by the way in which he uttered the word. His thoughts were: “the whole group of people with melanin abundant skin descended from slaves in America, yeah, that group, are worthy of no respect whatsoever.” I, as one of those melanin abundant people, heard racists Riley’s message loud and clear. A total prohibition of the words utterance is absurd, because nowadays Americans of all cultures, all cultures, use the N-word to convey positive or harmless thoughts in their private conversations. Those of you who use it in this way know what I mean. Again, its not the most elegant word, but its not the word that is demonic, it’s the white supremacist/white privilege attitude of white racists like Riley Cooper, which are conveyed by its use that is demonic. And when Paula Deen used the word, she was being racists too. The thoughts she conveyed were: “Those dark bodies are absolutely worth less than me and those that look like me. They can serve me a traditional southern meal though.”

44. girthbrooks2013 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:20 PM

right on tirc2328! You have summed up the “intent” argument perfectly. Every person of every color ought to be free to shout the “N” word from the mountain tops and roof tops. The “intent” is all we must decipher and that can easily be done through our individual and collective abilities to mind read and intuitively know from tone, bodily gestures and overall environmental circumstances of the utterance. Any discerner of truth can do that without mistake.The First Amendment of The U.S. Constitution permits free speech. Why are we penalizing people financially for speech? Why are we ruining careers based upon utterance or word choice? Whatever happened to “actions speaking louder than words”?

45. blackngold4life says: Aug 2, 2013 1:58 PM

Its not the word its the intent.. So quit talkin about “rappers use it” If you don’t know the Difference between N*GGA and N**GER just keep both of um out us mouths