Tate is “more than happy” to step into Harvin’s role

St. Louis Rams v Seattle Seahawks Getty Images

With Seahawks receiver Percy Harvin gone until late in the season due to hip surgery, Golden Tate sees a possible silver lining.

For himself.

“I hadn’t had a discussion with the organization, or the coaching staff or anyone,” Tate told reporters on Wednesday.  “I would assume that we are very similar players.  So the things that they intended on him to do, I’ll be more than happy to do that. I want to get the ball anyway that I can and I want to try and make a play.  I feel like I am really similar to Percy [Harvin].  I feel that at any moment, I could make a big play; to boost us or give us a go-ahead score.  Whatever they need.  I’m excited; to get the opportunity to get more reps and help this offense.”

The optimism extends beyond Tate, according to Tate.

“We are not discouraged at all,” Tate said.  “We are still out here grinding, working. We’re going to see how great we can be. We think that we have everything we need to succeed and we are going to do that. . . .

“We have a lot of playmakers.  Then you look at defense. You throw a deep ball and Earl [Thomas] could run over and pick it off and take it for six.  Kam [Chancellor] could knock your head off.   Then you fumble and we pick it up.  So we are very excited, with or without Percy [Harvin].  We are all working hard and we’ll see how far we can go. But we are still confident in our play and everything.”

So, yes, the Seahawks won’t be as good as they would have been with Harvin.  But they’ll still be pretty good.  And Tate will get more chances to play.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
31 Responses to “Tate is “more than happy” to step into Harvin’s role”
  1. deepseabreeze says: Jul 31, 2013 5:47 PM

Golden Tate is delusional

2. GenXJay says: Jul 31, 2013 5:50 PM

if anyone can pull off the impossible, it would be Tate. (Nice catch against cheesebay)

3. 12thmanseattle says: Jul 31, 2013 5:54 PM

4. trollhammer20 says: Jul 31, 2013 5:54 PM

Dude can RAC with the best of ‘em. I’ll admit I scratched my head when I first heard of the Harvin acquisition, as Tate would seem to bring a lot of the same skillset to the table. But, never such a thing as ‘too many weapons’, right?

I will say, though, that in terms of throwing the ball, Tate reminds me more of Lamar throwing the javelin in “Revenge of the Nerds”.

5. blackngold4life says: Jul 31, 2013 5:59 PM

Tate is simular to Harvin minus the speed and hands. But he is good. I’m sure he is “More then happy”

6. boyshole25 says: Jul 31, 2013 6:10 PM

Haha I like Tate but he’s not the same type of player as harvin

7. fballguy says: Jul 31, 2013 6:14 PM

As a Rams fan, I’m more than happy about it too.

8. eclipsingbinary says: Jul 31, 2013 6:17 PM

Taint’s delusional.

9. jonkchar says: Jul 31, 2013 6:19 PM

as a Seahawks fan I’m very comfortable with the receiving core that we had last year. Anyone who is happy over the ‘Hawks losing Harvin needs to really think about how much better this team got from the offseason in spite of losing Harvin for a few months, as well as coveted draft picks. Seahawks still had a great draft

10. dennisatunity says: Jul 31, 2013 6:24 PM

Harvin is extremely good, of course, but when someone is hurt, it’s “next man up.” That is probably Tate and he will do well. And as much as we like the potential of Harvin, the Seahawks did exceptionally well without Percy Harvin last year.
    * 7-1 for the second half of the season (without Harvin)
    * 42.5 points per game for the last 10 games (without Harvin)
    * Scored over 40 points per game for 3 games in a row–first time in the NFL in more than a half century (without Harvin)
    * And without even saying the game, all I have to do is whisper it: 42-13 (without Harvin).

Percy is very, very good. The Seahawks, even without Harvin, are still exceptional.

11. schmitty2 says: Jul 31, 2013 6:26 PM

You better believe with it being a contract year that Tate was secretly thrilled that Harvin got hurt.

12. alldonesmith says: Jul 31, 2013 6:52 PM

Anyone else think the Seahawks’ WRs might be the most overrated WR group in the NFL?

13. seattlecoug says: Jul 31, 2013 7:01 PM

It was a catch.

14. SAV says: Jul 31, 2013 7:15 PM

I dont understand for the life of me why anyone would think Harvin is dependable. Injury prone galore.If I was Seattle, id just take whatever I get from the talented man and always have a plan b, c, d and e

15. nananatman says: Jul 31, 2013 7:29 PM

Is he writing the scripts for all the games or is that just the first one

16. aaroncurryisbust says: Jul 31, 2013 7:55 PM

More like the most underrated. Everyone looks at volume stats but Seattle WRs were among the most efficient in the NFL on a per target basis, they just didn’t receive many attempts because the Seahawks ran alot.

17. sikoix says: Jul 31, 2013 8:06 PM

“Then you fumble and we pick it up”. This actually made me laugh out loud.

This guy might be good but he’s nowhere near the talent Percy Harvin is.

18. decon49 says: Jul 31, 2013 8:16 PM

So why didn’t he step into it last season?

19. themackstrong says: Jul 31, 2013 8:18 PM

All those fans who say Tate is delusional shows you don’t even watch football. He fights for the ball at its high point, has made multiple players miss for scores or big yards. Golden Tate averages 5.9 Yac. Perspective Tate vs a guy like Cobb who is 6.0 Yac. Clearly the Seahawk trolls all need to be put in check because their football knowledge is next to nothing.

20. mnjoemama says: Jul 31, 2013 8:46 PM

So is Cordarelle Patterson ! Skol vikes

21. osiris33 says: Jul 31, 2013 8:47 PM

Yeah, except for a 15.3 yard average and 7 TDs, Tate is delusional.

22. bnwpnw says: Jul 31, 2013 8:55 PM

Tate is tough, talented and puts the team first.

I hope he runs away with it the season.

23. muskyhunter2542 says: Jul 31, 2013 9:16 PM

Golden Taint

24. muskyhunter2542 says: Jul 31, 2013 9:17 PM

It wasn’t even close to being a catch

25. beerbratscheese says: Jul 31, 2013 9:18 PM

GenXJay says:
    Jul 31, 2013 5:50 PM
    ============

Maybe, but remember, he’s not going to have pseudo-refs helping him out all year this year.

26. doe22us says: Jul 31, 2013 9:35 PM

Except that DC’s wont have nightmares preparing for Tate, Say what you want about Harvin and yes migraines (in the past) have affected him but Tate shouldnt be mentioned within the same area code as Percy. He is a decent WR, but Harvin is streets ahead (see contract) even though the Hawks overpaid.

27. therealhardt says: Jul 31, 2013 10:18 PM

“Tate will step up just like he did last year.Add to that the high expectations and a contract year and you have one dangerous playmaker”

Yes, 101 catches and 1,297 yards in 3 years is really dangerous…he’s not quite a bust, but as a second round pick on a wr poor team, you’d expect a lot more..

28. hawkstradamus says: Jul 31, 2013 10:31 PM

To all the experts who say Golden Tate sucks, put his name into YouTube. To all the nfl gm’s stay away from Golden Tate and take these idiots word on how much he sucks.

29. vaphinfan says: Jul 31, 2013 11:18 PM

If Tate could do what Harvin could do Harvin would not of been traded to Seattle. So tired hearing bout the overated seahawks. Miami beat them last year and skins would had if rg could of stayed healthy.

30. nathanbetz91 says: Jul 31, 2013 11:27 PM

You are not similar to harvin, you’re not half the receiver he is!

31. bengalguy says: Aug 1, 2013 12:03 AM