Dick Kazmaier, college star who spurned the NFL, dies at 82

dickkazmaier AP

Dick Kazmaier, the 1951 Heisman Trophy winner whose decision to pass on the NFL was a vestige of a different time in American sports, has died at the age of 82, the New York Times reports.

Kazmaier was a brilliant all-around player at Princeton who could run, pass, punt and play defense, but when the Bears selected him in the 1952 NFL draft, he politely declined to play pro football and instead got an MBA at Harvard.

“I knew I could earn more money in business than I could in professional football,” Kazmaier said, “but there was more to it than that. I had achieved everything I could achieve as an individual and as part of a team. I felt there was nowhere to go but down.”

Kazmaier never played in the NFL, but he could have been a great player — in any era. In fact, Eagles coach Chip Kelly, who’s often credited as one of the most innovative offensive coaches in football today, said this year that he’s not doing anything that Kazmaier didn’t do more than half a century ago.

“I don’t think anybody’s inventing anything new,” Kelly told Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times. “It’s a very cyclical game. A lot of things that are being done with the Wildcat formation was the single-wing formation run way back when. Dick Kazmaier won the Heisman Trophy at Princeton running the single-wing offense. He would have been a good zone-read quarterback.”

Instead, Kazmaier decided to be a good businessman.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Dick Kazmaier, college star who spurned the NFL, dies at 82”
  1. green41563 says: Aug 1, 2013 10:06 PM

Well, if you’re at a ruling-class school like Princeton and can get into Harvard’s MBA program, it might *still* be more lucrative in the long run than playing in the NFL, to say nothing of the value of escaping injury.

I have to admit: I’d rather have degrees from Princeton and HBS than be a first-round draft pick in the NFL. I’d be safer, have a longer career, live a healthier life, and probably make more money by the time I retired.

2. psmith7716 says: Aug 1, 2013 10:24 PM

Dick Kazmaier was a great college football player. Thanks for the memories. RIP

3. toledolions says: Aug 1, 2013 10:45 PM

From a fellow Maumee High School Alum, where our football stadium is named after him and his Heisman is proudly displayed in the schools main hallway, RIP. He was a great man.

4. nflpoker says: Aug 1, 2013 10:53 PM

He was smart. The pay was terrible, not like it is today. Getting a good education and using it was the way to go.

5. riflemanlax says: Aug 1, 2013 11:45 PM

In 1952, that was definitely the smart way to go. NFL players weren’t getting the kind of $$$ they get today. Not even close, not even after being adjusted for inflation. A Princeton education would have been epically more marketable and profitable.

6. orivar says: Aug 2, 2013 12:47 AM

Or you can do both. Get your MBA and be an athlete. Depending on how you schedule it that is.

7. fdugrad says: Aug 2, 2013 3:41 AM

RIP Mr. K

8. youarejealousof6rings says: Aug 2, 2013 7:35 AM

Good for him. Considering the pay the NFL offered in those days, I’m sure he did make more money in business and lived a better life. Today, you are foolish to turn down such an opportunity.

9. exhelodrvr says: Aug 2, 2013 8:30 AM

Why is the automatic assumption that you can’t do both? That leads to the distressingly high percentage of players that blow through their money and are also completely unprepared for life after the NFL.