Kenny Chesney hopes his fans aren’t lumped in with Riley Cooper

Kenny Chesney AP

Musician Kenny Chesney has spoken out to say that Eagles receiver Riley Cooper, who was filmed using a racial slur at a Chesney concert, is not representative of most of his fans.

Chesney told LZ Granderson of ESPN that Cooper doesn’t reflect the type of people who can usually be found at Chesney’s concerts.

“To judge an entire audience by one loud mouth isn’t fair . . . not to the NFL, not to the city of Philadelphia and that awesome crowd, not to my band and crew and certainly not to me, who believes music is about bringing people together for friendship and forgetting about the things in life that bring you down,” Chesney said. “The music I make is about living life, loving life and loving everybody — no matter who they are. That’s how I was raised, and what someone else does or says doesn’t reflect who I am or what my fans stand for.”

Chesney invited Cooper on stage during the concert, but he said that was simply a courtesy he likes to show to local athletes when he’s on tour.

“I don’t know everything about every player who comes to our shows,” Chesney said. “We invite the teams in the places where we play, and I’ve found the guys from the NFL are some of the most inspiring people I meet all year. They give back to their communities, work with children, hospitals and various charities, as well as raising awesome families.”

And just as the NFL doesn’t want Cooper to overshadow all that, Chesney doesn’t want Cooper to stand as the typical Kenny Chesney fan.

Permalink 108 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
108 Responses to “Kenny Chesney hopes his fans aren’t lumped in with Riley Cooper”
  1. youarejealousof6rings says: Aug 1, 2013 11:57 AM

LOL

2. floratiotime says: Aug 1, 2013 11:59 AM

The man doth protest too much, me thinks.

3. somethingsmellsrotten says: Aug 1, 2013 12:00 PM

Chesney has fans?

4. bluenose1965 says: Aug 1, 2013 12:01 PM

I was waiting for this angle to break.

I’d say the make-up of a Kenny Chesney crowd is probably more likely to include Riley Cooper “types” than many other artists crowds.

Just as a hip hop crowd is more likely to include individuals who continue to use the language Cooper used, but in a hypocritical manner.

If it truly offends, then stop saying it. You can’t have it both ways.

It is, what it is Kenny.

5. daburgher says: Aug 1, 2013 12:02 PM

b/c chesney fans had a good reputation before this? there is a higher percentage of scumbag losers at his shows, than any other

6. mtheparrothead says: Aug 1, 2013 12:02 PM

Kenny you’re giving your fans too much credit, as I doubt half of them could even spell the n word.

7. swampcannons says: Aug 1, 2013 12:02 PM

Too late buddy! That ship sailed a loooong time ago.

8. sdwat54 says: Aug 1, 2013 12:04 PM

Face it, Cooper will be eating his words all year long in some way or another, but if people were small minded enough to paint Chesney fans with the same brush, then they need to look at everything Cooper involves himself in and do the same to other organizations/recreational pursuits, etc.

If Cooper borrows a lawn mower from a neighbor, and the neighbor loans it out happily, does that mean the neighbor is racist?

9. clownsfan says: Aug 1, 2013 12:06 PM

This statement is overkill. Lets move on from this incident.

10. ratdogs says: Aug 1, 2013 12:06 PM

Be careful what you say boys…you can’t make fun of racists, Kenny Chesney fans, and long haired freaky people on this site. Even though any backlash Cooper receives is well deserved.

11. davekezer says: Aug 1, 2013 12:07 PM

Everything Chesney does is so calculated, contrived, and soulless that his statements have no weight.

Even: “The music I make is about living life, loving life and loving everybody — no matter who they are.” That’s theoretically coming from a good place but it’s just a bunch of ‘please everyone’ nonsense.

12. mjzaky says: Aug 1, 2013 12:07 PM

I was at a Kenny concert in 2005 when he brought Eli Manning on stage for a ‘Back Where I Come From’ duet. He’s telling the truth when he says he routinely brings local athletes up to the stage.

13. jwh8541 says: Aug 1, 2013 12:07 PM

It never occurred to me country fans may use that term of endearment. :rolleyes

14. bucrightoff says: Aug 1, 2013 12:07 PM

Nah, they’re lumped in with other fans who have no taste in music.

15. 52lightsxout52 says: Aug 1, 2013 12:07 PM

Maybe Riley Cooper listens to too many rap records. When the wrong person uses the term we get an avalanche of faux drama. hypocrites.

16. heckler23 says: Aug 1, 2013 12:07 PM

What Cooper said he meant, and he is wrong
    Having said that , why did no one question Jaimee fox for saying “It was fun killing a bunch of whiteys”
    Just saying

17. bigks77 says: Aug 1, 2013 12:07 PM

No Shirt, No Shoes, No Cooper!! Kenny Rocks!!!

18. fissels says: Aug 1, 2013 12:08 PM

I have a time liking Kenny Chesney

19. 1rockyracoon says: Aug 1, 2013 12:08 PM

Hey Kenny, why are your fans such dirtbags when it comes to tailgating. His fans treat parking lots like a landfill.

20. fissels says: Aug 1, 2013 12:09 PM

Hard time

21. ishallcomment says: Aug 1, 2013 12:09 PM

Damn…

Kenny has some serious guns!

22. mwatts1 says: Aug 1, 2013 12:09 PM

SHUT KENNY!

Signed,
    Cartman

23. tooz72 says: Aug 1, 2013 12:10 PM

of course they are..stereotypes have truth behind them

24. turdfurgerson68 says: Aug 1, 2013 12:10 PM

Not all country music fans are racists…

…if you’re a racist you probably listen to country music.

25. 3 Finger Lenny says: Aug 1, 2013 12:10 PM

Lol at Kenny & his fans

26. deucedropper says: Aug 1, 2013 12:11 PM

I won’t judge Chesney and his fans by the words of one pro athlete, but the cutoff plaid shirt and jorts is fair game, right?

27. raiderufan says: Aug 1, 2013 12:12 PM

I fully agree with Chesney releasing a statment damning Coopers words.

You know for a fact that certain people sit with baited toungues just waiting for something rascist to pop up in country music….just as they do with reality stars going to clubs and being drunks…or a metal kid that murders someone and it must be the metal community…or the rap/hip hop kid who sells drugs and it’s the community…

Stereo types exist and his name is attached in some way to a disgusting action that just so happens to tie in with a stereotype of the music he plays. I honestly expected him to be more adamant in his response.

28. dryzzt23 says: Aug 1, 2013 12:14 PM

STOP with the witchhunt for anyone associated with Riley Cooper! He made a simple mistake, let it go and move on.
    IF the media intends to destroy Cooper, and Chesney, and Chesney’s fans…..then they MUST do the same to Kanye West/Jay-Z and their fans since both West and Jay-Z are black racists and therefore their fans are as well.

29. godofwine330 says: Aug 1, 2013 12:14 PM

As both a Black guy AND a huge country music fan, it was one of Kenny Chessney’s songs that got me through my deployment, “In the morning I’m leaving making my way back to Cleveland but tonight I hope that I can do do just fine. Mary I can’t see how you will ever be anything but mine.”

Thank God I made it back to Cleveland safe and sound. Went to his concert last year with Tim McGraw. Kenny Rocks!
    Navy Customs Battalion Quebec – Hoo-Rah!

30. huskerguy says: Aug 1, 2013 12:16 PM

More use of the N word at hip hop shows than country.

Nope. It has been proven that you can’t fix stupid.

31. nolahxc says: Aug 1, 2013 12:17 PM

A racist country music fan?! Who’s ever heard of that!?

32. kelmcc says: Aug 1, 2013 12:19 PM

“… Just cuz you see the Confederate flag waving in my crowd and in the parking lot, that’s because we are Dukes of Hazzard fans…”

33. securb2013 says: Aug 1, 2013 12:19 PM

Who is Kenny Chesney kidding 73 fans got arrested in the brawl at his Heinz Field concert. Earlier this summer we had the yahoo at the Toby Keith concert in Jersey screaming racial slurs and waving the Confederate Flag. Riley Cooper is his people, own him.

34. kokomike says: Aug 1, 2013 12:19 PM

Riley said he wanted to fight every man of color on the other side of the fence. Time for him to meet UFCs Anderson Silva in the Octagon.

35. bobonmycob says: Aug 1, 2013 12:20 PM

youarejealousof6rings says: Aug 1, 2013 11:57 AM

LOL

????? You win the award for most useless post of the day. You respond to an article like a simpleton with “laughing out loud” about racism and Kenny Chesney…. Wow

36. dgoens3109 says: Aug 1, 2013 12:20 PM

To those of you saying “Kenny has fans”? Um, ya, he sells more tickets than ANYONE!! You clearly know nothing about the topic you speak on.

For those of you who say his fans “can’t spell the N word”. You’re no better than Riley Cooper. Just a bunch of idiots looking for a forum to spout non-sense.

Pathetic

37. 12444uggg says: Aug 1, 2013 12:20 PM

I despise “Wal Mart” country music, and this guy’s brand is that. With that said, I won’t make a lump judgement about his audience, because that’s the core of any racist comment. Sweeping judgement.

38. captainwisdom8888 says: Aug 1, 2013 12:20 PM

Kenny Chesney knows* his fans are lumped in with Riley Cooper.

39. The Grand Occident says: Aug 1, 2013 12:22 PM

Chesney = Coward. More and more Whites are getting tired of paying for Black America, then being slammed at every opportunity.

40. barbasol11111111 says: Aug 1, 2013 12:22 PM

Don’t drunken brawls involving like 10 or more people break out at 3/4 of mr chesneys shows? Thought I saw this on the news.

Own your niche, bro.

41. dgoens3109 says: Aug 1, 2013 12:22 PM

Kenny is far from Wal-Mart country music but I very much agree with the rest of what you said.

42. jonwill57 says: Aug 1, 2013 12:23 PM

Kenny, no need to worry about being lumped in with Riley Stuper. It’s like when 5 loud people booed the draft selection of McNabb and for the next 14 years it was implied that ALL Eagle fans hated the pick which wasn’t true.

43. mjzaky says: Aug 1, 2013 12:23 PM

If you haven’t been to Kenny concerts it’s pretty ridiculous to judge them based on litterers in Pittsburgh and a racist backup WR.

Hundreds of Kenny concerts have come and gone without incident. I’ve personally been to 5 of them.

You can not like country and that’s fine, but there is nothing wrong with Kenny Chesney or his fans.

44. jack3dsd says: Aug 1, 2013 12:24 PM

its crazy that we have words that people can lose their job for simply saying. if you make a certain noise people can be offended…crazy

45. The Grand Occident says: Aug 1, 2013 12:28 PM

“of course they are..stereotypes have truth behind them”

Especially when it comes to “African-Americans.”

46. fafaflunky says: Aug 1, 2013 12:33 PM

if there werent white people
    african american comedians
    would have nothing to talk about..

47. hrmlss says: Aug 1, 2013 12:34 PM

Hey clueless ones. You know anything about Kenny Chesney? Know where he lives? In the Caribbean, most of the people there are not paleskins. He’s more of a Jimmy Buffet then Walmart.

48. sandersmarcus10 says: Aug 1, 2013 12:36 PM

SOOOOOO suprised that NOBODY mention dog fighting or murder since someone always gets off topic. Anyway he apologized and move on.

49. knowerofallthings says: Aug 1, 2013 12:39 PM

Paula Deen award

50. mungman69 says: Aug 1, 2013 12:44 PM

Have you ever been to a Kenny Chesney concert? That crowd is 100% red neck. About 99% of them use the “N” word and the “N” word isn’t used nicely.

51. rasta028 says: Aug 1, 2013 12:49 PM

yes he has fans, not everyone listens to or like that worthless rap crap!

52. filmex2000 says: Aug 1, 2013 12:50 PM

You can take Riley Cooper out of Oklahoma, but you can’t get Oklahoma out of Riley Cooper.

53. noring4youstill says: Aug 1, 2013 12:54 PM

His music is about screwing, beaches, smoking and drinking. He’s a white rapper

54. 12444uggg says: Aug 1, 2013 12:56 PM

“Paleskins”, there ya go D.C franchise.

55. godofwine330 says: Aug 1, 2013 1:02 PM

@ mungman69 says:Aug 1, 2013 12:44 PM

*****

Yes I have been to a Kenny Chessney concert in Cleveland and I have never heard that that word used within earshot of me. I dare anybody to use that word around me. Not that I am super tough, but I refuse to be disrespected. Period. People who use that word in the sense that Cooper did are cowards. Other than in discussion about the word, I have never heard a White person use that word without getting a check from me. As a matter of fact, now I refuse to have anybody around me use that word and not get a check from me. Simply, “That’s not cool. It ain’t funny, and don’t use that word around me. Got me?”

56. bluenose1965 says: Aug 1, 2013 1:03 PM

1rockyracoon says:
    Aug 1, 2013 12:08 PM

____________________________________

Uh-oh, the tree huggers* are here. :)

*The term tree hugger is not intended to cause undue offense to those who actually hug trees.

57. moagecu says: Aug 1, 2013 1:04 PM

rasta you do know there are more than two genres of music, not just country and rap right?

58. thraiderskin says: Aug 1, 2013 1:06 PM

Almost everyone is a little racist… it is what it is, I just can’t stand the “white guilt” crowd piping in, like thier crap doesn’t stink. Its a fact that people first notice glaring differences the moment they walk into a room/ its also fact everyone associates certain stereotypes with different ethnicities, whether they are major or minor. As soon as people just except the realities in life, the easier they (the realities) will be to stomach.

59. scrp2 says: Aug 1, 2013 1:08 PM

Wait.. You’re telling me there’s a white wide receiver not named Welker?

60. bygd1 says: Aug 1, 2013 1:09 PM

Chesney is worthless scum, who stole Jimmy Buffet’s shtick. He got in trouble in Buffalo when he was younger for stealing a Police Horse, he is JUST one more PUNK with money, a country Justin Beiber!

61. lawrinson20 says: Aug 1, 2013 1:10 PM

Unfortunately, “this type of behavior” is at the very least just under the surface with a majority of people. It only requires a trigger (or a beer, it seems) to actualize it. Even in 2013, despite best efforts toward the semblance of sophistication and civility, race remains a major issue.

62. turdfurgerson68 says: Aug 1, 2013 1:14 PM

Hmm…isn’t there a country group called Lady Antebellum?

For all of you who slept thru history class look up the ‘Antebellum period’ in US history.

Seems like Reilly Cooper would have loved the antebellum era.

63. fdugrad says: Aug 1, 2013 1:16 PM

I was thinking about this as well. It wouldn’t shock me to hear that some folks who would say they are outraged by this racial episode classify country/western fans as racist hicks! I hope this does not occur. Either way, the term and context in which the remark was used is completely unacceptable. I certainly wouldn’t want to be RC even in his OWN locker room, much less while going through an NFL season, and/or going over the middle!

64. mrwalterisgod says: Aug 1, 2013 1:17 PM

Interesting. Lil Wayne, Kanye West, Drake, Tech N9ne and other African American hip hop artists commonly use the N word, yet I see no outcry.

It’s just like the Zimmerman case. White man killed black boy, therefore he must be guilty.

Double standard will forever keep this country divided.

65. franky5fingers says: Aug 1, 2013 1:17 PM

Anyone want to talk about why Cooper got so mad he started dropping N-Bombs? Word on the street is that racial slurs were tossed at him for a few minutes before he finally snapped and the video we see is only after he snapped. It did not show how those 3 or 4 men were harrassing him for no reason. Not saying it is acceptable…..but if both parties were being ignorant, why is only one being called out?

66. thirdistheworrd says: Aug 1, 2013 1:19 PM

mjzaky says: Aug 1, 2013 12:23 PM

_______________
    Wow, this got five thumbs down? This whole comment section is very perplexing. I’m black and I’m offended by Riley Cooper, but I think it’s ridiculous that Chesney should have to apologize for a racist fan at one of his concerts.

If I Google “N” and find a result (or 7,960,000) should the CEO of Google have to make a public apology? If I hear some dumb white teenagers say N at the gym, can I sue Gold’s? No. Racists should suffer social and public consequences, but it’s not the fault of entertainers or commercial enterprises that small-minded racists may patronize their concert venues or businesses.

If Chesney had brought Cooper up on stage and Cooper had made his remarks then, it would have been a different matter, but Cooper’s remarks were made in private to friends, presumably of a similar Neanderthal mentality. As Americans we should frown upon of racism and racists, but no means should we be held responsible for prejudice or intolerant individuals we accidentally interact with.

67. armchairqb says: Aug 1, 2013 1:19 PM

… and Riley Cooper fans hope they aren’t lumped in with Kenny Chesney.

68. prmpft says: Aug 1, 2013 1:19 PM

What does he mean? People who refuse to be bound by ridiculous poltical correctness 0r people who have no musical taste?

69. bucrightoff says: Aug 1, 2013 1:19 PM

rasta028 says:Aug 1, 2013 12:49 PM

yes he has fans, not everyone listens to or like that worthless rap crap!
    _____________________________________

Jazz
    Metal
    Baroque
    Alternative
    Blues
    Pop
    Electronica

Just to name a few of the genres you missed. If you don’t like country, its not cause you like rap. Its cause you don’t like country.

70. thirdistheworrd says: Aug 1, 2013 1:20 PM

scrp2 says: Aug 1, 2013 1:08 PM

Wait.. You’re telling me there’s a white wide receiver not named Welker?
    _____________
    And they’re both “deceptively quick”.

71. everyoneinthisroomisnowdumber says: Aug 1, 2013 1:23 PM

I don’t get it. We all, all races, tell our children to let name calling slide off and not care about it because it doesn’t matter. Only matters if you choose to let it matter.

None of my white friends give a damn if you call them a cracker and none of my black friends walk around using the “N” word all day. Because they aren’t immature idiots and have better things to do with their lives than get their panties in a knot over a damn word. Let it go. It only has power if you don’t. Who cares if some drunk idiot with a pony tail used a racial slang while trying to look tough at a concert? Everyone calling for him to be suspended or fined or having a bounty on his head needs to sit back and honestly ask themselves where they would be if they were fired from their job for every instance they used a racially insensitive term.

The “N” word has to go altogether or it has to be decriminalized altogether. You can’t have the same word repeated ad nauseum in virtually all rap music and in various other mediums of pop culture without partially or completely losing the right to be offended if a particular race says it. It’s hypocritical and, ironically, sorta racist to define who can say what according to, you know – race. Google the lurics of the top 5 rap songs and see for yourself.

I don’t know anything about Bradley Cooper as a person and I don’t care to. But I know he’s played football his whole life which means the majority of players he’s been on teams with and spent his time with are black and he’s been exposed to black culture more than the average caucasian and has heard that word repeated thousands and thousands of times in all manners – terms of endearment, joking, songs, anger, whatever. I’m not saying that makes it right for him to use it or wrong for him to use it. What I am saying is, everyone – black, white, brown, purple, should either agree to never utter the word again or, expect to hear it more as it permeates popular culture though music, comedy, movies and youth & urban parlance and make the conscious decision to refrain from assigning so much vitriol to a two syllable sound. It’s one or the other and you really can’t have it both ways. I’m don’t want to oversimplify this, because it’s very important and effects the way a lot of people feel but no matter where your head is on this one you have to admit that we can’t make any progress with these contradictions that verge on hypocrisy. If it’s really that bad of a word they there must be equal amounts of anger and public shaming for every person that utters it, no matter what their race is. Then, it will go away…

72. geo1113 says: Aug 1, 2013 1:23 PM

“Riley said he wanted to fight every man of color on the other side of the fence. ”
    ———————–

That’s crazy. I have black friends who won’t walk down the street in Camden.

73. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Aug 1, 2013 1:23 PM

Thank God we all know what Kenny Chesney thinks about the situation. Now I’ll be able to sleep tonight.
    Never mind the fact that probably at least half of the people at the show were racist bozos who would make Cooper look like a member of Mensa.

74. mjzaky says: Aug 1, 2013 1:25 PM

@ noringforyourstill

Kenny Chesney music is not just about screwing, beaches, smoking and drinking.

Evidence:

1. Boys of Fall (Football)
    2. Back Where I Come From (Pride in where you’re from – Tennessee in his case)
    3. There Goes My Life (Coming to terms with accidentally getting a girl pregnant and handling it responsibly)
    4. Live Those Songs (Vietnam veteran)
    5. I’m Alive ft. Dave Matthews (Gratitude for health and life)

I love when people say things that have no basis in reality!

75. broncostevenp says: Aug 1, 2013 1:31 PM

He said he was/is “Sorry” heck I don’t hear guys apologizing like that for beating their wives in the NFL. We have ALL said and done stupid things when we have been drinking.

Get off the kids back. It’s like a lynch mob around here.

76. miamimike1 says: Aug 1, 2013 1:34 PM

Those of you who try and mention the fans fighting at the concert should not throw stones. This is the same city who showed no class when they cheered Michael Irvin having a serious injury and throwing batteries at Santa Claus during a game. Now they have no to fight with so they end up fighting each other. Stay classy Philly.

77. SAV says: Aug 1, 2013 1:35 PM

Kenny Chesney should have manned up and said we all make mistakes….

Way to throw a fan (Cooper) under the bus you clown.

78. ilovefoolsball says: Aug 1, 2013 1:38 PM

OH THE OUTRAGE!!!

Are we going to start seeing tweets with

#justicefortheguythatrileycoopercalledthenword

?

79. theuglitruth says: Aug 1, 2013 1:43 PM

Kenny is a pretty big football fan. He produced the ESPN’s The Condredge Holloway Story, so he certainly would not condone anything idiots like Cooper would do. I gotta give this one to Chesney!

80. fdugrad says: Aug 1, 2013 1:43 PM

Well…It took exactly TEN posts after mine, for somebody to remark that half of Kenny’s audience are racists. So, what does a written comment by a person generalizing a negative stereotype about a LARGE group of people make that person I wonder…

81. thirdistheworrd says: Aug 1, 2013 1:49 PM

bluenose1965 says: Aug 1, 2013 1:03 PM

1rockyracoon says:
    Aug 1, 2013 12:08 PM

___________________________________

Have you been a tailgate for anything? Ever? I’ve heard “N” tossed around casually, and seen garbage tossed around everywhere at Snoop Dogg, Rascall Flatts, 311, the Temptations, a Phish concert ( yes, I know, I’m embarrassed too– some girl made me go), Auburn games, VT games, WVU games, Maryland games, Delaware Lacrosse games, a Wisconsin game, a Pitt game, the Kentucky Derby, etc., etc. Point is- if there’s a venue, and if there’s a tailgate, people are noisy, rude, and dirty.

Trying to single out Chesney fans for their behavior at tailgates is like trying to single out kids at Big 10 schools for drinking a lot.

82. souldogdave says: Aug 1, 2013 1:50 PM

Good for you, Chesney. All you haters can kick rocks.

83. corny715 says: Aug 1, 2013 1:51 PM

Why were there black people at his concert?

84. timbuttrum says: Aug 1, 2013 1:54 PM

I’m awaiting the same press release from Jay Z and Little Wayne’s camp. Not holding my breath.

85. theuglitruth says: Aug 1, 2013 1:54 PM

I keeping hearing the excuse “Double Standard”…the word is not acceptable regardless of who uses the slur. The only reason this debate continues is because of the people saying “double standard”….had everyone just agreed he screwed up, accepted his apology and moved on…it would be over. But, the “double standard” keeps fighting for a racial slur….really? It’s just pathetic!

86. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Aug 1, 2013 1:54 PM

fdugrad says:
    Aug 1, 2013 1:43 PM

In this particular case it makes them an observant person with an accurate perspective.
    You don’t know the first thing about me but I guess you’re free to wonder all you want.

87. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Aug 1, 2013 2:00 PM

And just for the record closer to 100% of Kenney Chesney fans that I know, including my uncle, my cousins and some of my neighbors are racists so I guess that my estimate of half is probably being a little too generous to his fans.

88. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 1, 2013 2:01 PM

Don’t judge all of Kenny’s fans based on the actions and attitude of 89% of them.

89. giantsfan2104 says: Aug 1, 2013 2:09 PM

I was going to reply, to “the Grand Occident” and I accidentally clicked the link to his WordPress page.

Apparently he’s some kind of Neo-Nazi, and he wouldn’t have cared what I thought. (I’m black, and Native American) :)

90. stevejjones says: Aug 1, 2013 2:18 PM

I’m waiting for Florio to demand that Tim Tebow address this situation. After all Tebow played with Cooper. Was Tebow aware of this when Cooper participated in his proday. The longer the Patriots leave this unaddressed the greater the questions will grow. The media beasts demand a quote. Tim Tebow when did you stop associating with racists. (You’re gonna have to have made it to 13th grade to get that last joke)

91. rockthered1286 says: Aug 1, 2013 2:26 PM

mjzaky says:
    Aug 1, 2013 1:25 PM
    @ noringforyourstill

Kenny Chesney music is not just about screwing, beaches, smoking and drinking.

Evidence:

1. Boys of Fall (Football)
    2. Back Where I Come From (Pride in where you’re from – Tennessee in his case)
    4. Live Those Songs (Vietnam veteran)
    5. I’m Alive ft. Dave Matthews (Gratitude for health and life)

I love when people say things that have no basis in reality!
    _________________________
    And I love people who reference Kenny Chesney songs from years and years ago to prove a point that is incorect. Look at most recent album titled “Life on a Rock” referring to an island. Let me list some titles for you- Pirate Flag, Life on a Rock, Coconut Tree, Spread the Love (with the Wailers-Marley’s backups), Marley. Tell me again how he is NOT a Jimmy Buffet wannabe? Hell you can go back to No shoes, No shirt, No problem or Another Beer in Mexico… Chesney lives to become a modern day Buffet, which in my opinion is weak. Find your own niche and maybe strive to be more than a clone of Buffet.

92. brettfavresmidget says: Aug 1, 2013 2:46 PM

Kenny routinely does this. I recall him bringing Aaron Hernandez on stage to duet Folsom Prison Blues. Back then it seemed odd that the only line Aaron knew was, “But I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.” Now, not so odd.

93. graphicwolfart says: Aug 1, 2013 2:47 PM

A lot of hateful people just on this forum…some I suppose don’t realize they condemn Cooper for his actions, but take the same stance towards Kenny and his fans. Stereotyping…Sad

94. rukkus1 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:02 PM

If the man wants to make songs about the good life even though its been done before who cares…. most music out there is loosely related to someone elses material. Quit bein a hater

95. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Aug 1, 2013 3:03 PM

graphicwolfart says:
    Aug 1, 2013 2:47 PM

You call it hate and stereotyping because you disagree with the opinions but that doesn’t make it either one.
    I personally don’t hate his fans I just wish that a lot of them weren’t racists and my “stereotyping” actually comes from interacting with his fans over the course of several years. I would call that real life experience not stereotyping.

96. upperdecker19 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:22 PM

Don’t they sell Confederate flags at the souvenier stands at these concerts?

97. duece5 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:30 PM

dryzzt23 says: Aug 1, 2013 12:14 PM

duece5 says:

Well stated, dryzzt23!!!

There is mfar more racist comments at a Jay-Z, Kanye, or Lil Wayne show than any C/Western show combined….the racism in the black community is part of the culture, but we turn the other cheek because of the liberal media.

The media liberal media……WHAT A JOKE!!!

98. deltaoracle says: Aug 1, 2013 3:35 PM

That a bunch of yee-hawin’ drunks wearing cowboy hats and listening to country music might have a few racists among them? Why the thought had never crossed my mind, Mr. Chesney.

99. mrfrostyj says: Aug 1, 2013 3:43 PM

Someone already said it but as a black person I feel the need to reiterate it. Kenny Chesney trying to convince people a good portion of his fans aren’t the type of people who use that word would be like Lil Wayne saying his fans don’t use it hypicritically.

Gangsta Rap and country go hand and hand as genre’s many educated people of all races try not to associate with for a reason.

100. granadafan says: Aug 1, 2013 3:48 PM

Conservative racist redneck Tea Partiers waving the Confederate Flag at a Kenny Chesney concert? I’m shocked, shocked I tell you, shocked!

101. gopblows says: Aug 1, 2013 4:13 PM

bluenose1965 says: Aug 1, 2013 12:01 PM

I was waiting for this angle to break.

If it truly offends, then stop saying it. You can’t have it both ways.

It is, what it is Kenny.
    ==================================

Not hypocritical at all. I would never use the “C” word for white people when white people are present.

102. dfields4 says: Aug 1, 2013 4:14 PM

I stopped reading when you wrote “Musician Kenny Chesney”…

103. godofwine330 says: Aug 1, 2013 4:22 PM

dryzzt23 & duece5, You both need to shut it about Black racists nonsense, and the assumption that all of the fans of rap are as well . The hip hop artists that use the word are ignorant, but I wouldn’t say racists. I could go on. Let’s not confuse racist and prejudiced. To say that racism in the Black community is a part of the culture is so inaccurate it isn’t funny.

Racism and prejudice in any way is wrong. Me being Black and you being White doesn’t make you my enemy, but what it does make you is unknown, and that is a huge part of the problem. We all must break down our prejudices to fight past that unknown and judge each person we come in contact with by the OWN actions, not the actions of another. I do not dislike you for Cooper’s comments, nor should you dislike me because some Black guy started an argument with you at a bar last week.

You give each man his own shot and give him the chance to blow it with you. Because every person of another color isn’t your enemy any more than every person of your color is your friend. The sooner WE ALL learn that, the better off we will all be. Also, never use the “N” word. If a Black person does something to you that is wrong, or even REALLY wrong use the “AH” word instead of the “N” word and that will not spark any discussion, nor will you have to apologize later.

104. hatesycophants says: Aug 1, 2013 4:25 PM

I must say, I’ve never heard anyone say they were glad to be back in Cleveland.

Well done, sir!

105. graphicwolfart says: Aug 1, 2013 4:32 PM

sad

106. i, flounder says: Aug 1, 2013 4:48 PM

ain’t no racism at a kenny chesney show. you save that mess for the hank jr. concerts.

107. noring4youstill says: Aug 1, 2013 5:10 PM

mjzaky

It’s a joke. I happen to like Kenny. There Goes My Life came out about the time me and my wife had our first born and to this day that song still makes me tear up.

108. tigersfandan says: Aug 1, 2013 8:26 PM

Since when does he have a right to talk about music anyway?