McCoy on Cooper: “I can’t respect a guy like that”

Cooper Getty Images

The Eagles would love to turn the page on the unexpected Riley Cooper debacle.  But it won’t be that easy.

Every player on the team will have his own reaction to Cooper’s horribly stupid and racist comment.  And not all players will keep their true views to themselves.

For example, running back LeSean McCoy said after Thursday’s practice, via Albert Breer of NFL Network, “I can’t respect a guy like that.”

Per Geoff Mosher of CSNPhilly.com, McCoy said he wonders whether Cooper’s “true colors” came through in the moment captured by a hand-held phone’s video camera.

“I forgave Riley,” McCoy added, via Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer.  “It’s new. I hope it wears off.  At this point, I speak for myself and other teammates, I know it’s different.”

It’s definitely different.  And the Eagles definitely need everyone to process their feelings and focus on football as soon as possible.

That ultimately could be impossible.  Like anything else, time will fade the initial reaction.  Still, Cooper will always be the guy who said what he said.  That won’t change for as long as he’s with the Eagles, or any NFL team.

Permalink 217 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
217 Responses to “McCoy on Cooper: “I can’t respect a guy like that””
  1. rasta028 says: Aug 1, 2013 2:46 PM

Enough already, tired of this OLD subject.

2. ravenssbxlvii says: Aug 1, 2013 2:47 PM

Get over it…

3. eatitfanboy says: Aug 1, 2013 2:49 PM

I’m 46.

If you would have told me when I was 16 that 30 years later race would still be such a divisive issue in our country, I would have said you were crazy.

Guess I was being naive. Sad nonetheless.

4. dylude says: Aug 1, 2013 2:50 PM

Now the Eagles need to cut Cooper.

Damaris Johnson / Desean Jackson / Celek / Casey / Ertz / Avant can catch the ball.

Move on.

5. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Aug 1, 2013 2:50 PM

Personally I don’t know if I would be able to carry on in life if I knew that a guy who calls himself Shady didn’t respect me.

6. sportsmeccabi says: Aug 1, 2013 2:50 PM

10 bucks says LeSean says this to his black teammates, family members, and friends everyday.

7. raiderufan says: Aug 1, 2013 2:50 PM

The sad thing is that this should open up a larger conversation about the use of this word in general…but it isn’t and it won’t.

Jay Mohr just asked Tyler Eifert if he the N word is a term heard used among African Americans in the locker room on the teams he’s been on and his answer was “Regularly”.

I’m sorry but that’s a double standard that cannot exist if your gonna take one mans money for using the word and not anothers. That’s just as rascist as Cooper using the word the way he did.

And I DO NOT condone his actions. I just hate the double standard just as much.

8. returntoexcellence says: Aug 1, 2013 2:51 PM

So you’ve never used that word right Lesean?

9. henryjones20 says: Aug 1, 2013 2:51 PM

can’t argue with shady on this one.

10. logicalvoicesays says: Aug 1, 2013 2:51 PM

The circus that is the Eagles will end in last place. AGAIN. #BurgundyandGoldBEATDOWNopeningnight

11. timbuttrum says: Aug 1, 2013 2:51 PM

Now leave me alone while I listen to Lil Wayne on my Ipod……

12. gumbogumbo says: Aug 1, 2013 2:52 PM

Please cut him. He’s more distracting than helpful to the team at this point. Get him GONE please

13. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 1, 2013 2:53 PM

Riley couldn’t climb the fence so he dwarf-tossed Kenny Chesney over to deal with the trouble makers.

14. kane337 says: Aug 1, 2013 2:53 PM

I do not wish to be in that mans shoes.

15. captainwisdom8888 says: Aug 1, 2013 2:53 PM

It is perfectly reasonable to be upset at the current moment if you are a teammate of Riley Cooper’s, but ultimately this young guy shouldn’t be judged henceforth entirely upon his use of the N-word on 1 documented occasion. He’s lived his whole life up until now to show others who he is…and he isn’t defined by this one slip-up.

16. asuthyo says: Aug 1, 2013 2:54 PM

I bet he respects Vick though, even though what he did was much worse. I, as an Eagles fan, want to like McCoy but making an already bad situation, worse publicly can only hurt the team.

17. thestrategyexpert says: Aug 1, 2013 2:54 PM

This is going to be a distraction all year long. And the problems will evolve as well. I can’t wait to see Coach Kelly in action and how he manages this situation. But I still think his GM should do the job of making the coach’s job easier in any we can, such as making changes to player personnel.

For now I’m still predicting the Eagles to crash and burn and finish in last place in the division.

18. jwcarlson says: Aug 1, 2013 2:54 PM

eatitfanboy says:
    Aug 1, 2013 2:49 PM
    I’m 46.

Guess I was being naive. Sad nonetheless.

——————————

It will be when you’re 76, too. Especially if we keep chasing butterflies and unicorns instead of treating people like they are adults and capable of thought.

19. alstottwastheman says: Aug 1, 2013 2:54 PM

But he has the utmost respect for Mike Vick…

20. jack3dsd says: Aug 1, 2013 2:56 PM

he will forever for eternity be the guy that said the n word that one time people will remember and talk about this for years to come Riley Cooper cemented his place in human history forever and ever

21. domeunit says: Aug 1, 2013 2:56 PM

Cooper and McCoy are both idiots, the main difference between the two is that Cooper actually apologized for his idiotic statements. McCoy is a child support dodging loser and he doesn’t any criticism for that

22. misterwinston says: Aug 1, 2013 2:57 PM

Just like Jason Pierre Paul said that word several times on youtube when he dunked Prince Amukamara in the ice tub. Double standard !

23. purpleguy says: Aug 1, 2013 2:57 PM

Clearly, the guy is racist — from a purely football perspective, the question thus is whether his Eagles’ teammates can play effectively with one.

24. unionslie says: Aug 1, 2013 2:58 PM

There are 50+ young, rich, egotistical men working together. There are always people who don’t get along. WRs tend to be worst than others (because they can get away with it). Short of the QB deciding not to look his way it’s a non issue.

Because there’s never been a WR with a (insert negative trait) personality before.

25. denverbronconj says: Aug 1, 2013 2:58 PM

let me get this correct..
    it’s ok for brothers to call each other “N” and even have a rap group with the word in it, see NWA…

But when it’s a white person, ie: Cooper or Paula Deen, then omg, its racist. Ask Eminem if he ever used the word, in fact, just listen to any modern rap song and that word is used constantly. Child Please…What a bunch of ballyhoo.

26. justintuckrule says: Aug 1, 2013 2:58 PM

Torture some dogs, that’s forgiveable. Say a word, blacklisted from life.

27. nomoreseasontix says: Aug 1, 2013 2:59 PM

Frankly, Cooper’s only option at this point is to adopt an African-American child.

28. jwcarlson says: Aug 1, 2013 2:59 PM

Here’s what I want… I want guys responding the way they want to respond. And less responses based on how they feel they should respond.

I’m not talking tactless garbage… I just want so honesty. What would it be like if black role models (like many of the stars in the NFL) started to take the power away from “the n-word”?

What if McCoy said, “You know what, I hate that word, but it isn’t like it has any power over me. We’re better than that.”

29. dryzzt23 says: Aug 1, 2013 2:59 PM

Ok so here’s the double standard:

Black players
    Kill a person (Lewis) = get a second chance
    Kill dogs (VIck) = get a second chance
    Deal drugs (multiple players) = get a second chance
    Beat women (multiple) = get a second chance
    Drive drunk (multiple) = = get a second chance
    Say the “N” word = nothing happens b/c if a black guy says it then it’s “cool”

White players
    Say the “N” word = get ran out of the league by blacks and PC-conscious ppl and NO second chance EVER

Double stand anyone?

30. jetgreeeen says: Aug 1, 2013 3:00 PM

Blacks, use that slur against each other all the time, so much so……give me a break.

He probably picked it up from listening to some rap or hip-hop music.

31. bobbyhoying says: Aug 1, 2013 3:00 PM

Off season noise which will fade when the season starts. Unfortunately, the defense will still be bad. Glad I cancelled my Sunday Ticket. Maybe we’ll get the first pick in 2014.

32. lks311 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:01 PM

rasta028 says:
    Aug 1, 2013 2:46 PM
    Enough already, tired of this OLD subject.
    _______
    Really? 24 Hours it’s old? You must be a Eagles fan. This will never be old news to his teammates either—or his next group of teammates. He’ll score a touchdown and everyone will be happy. But after the game’s over and everyone goes there separate ways, he’s always going to be “the guy”.

33. neverending01 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:02 PM

NFL Safeties and DB’s licking their chops. He wont last the season no matter how much playing time he gets.

34. trollaikman8 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:02 PM

You’re not supposed to pronounce the “errrr”.
    When will secret racists figure this out?

35. blacknole08 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:03 PM

Cmon now. It is really time to move on and stop living in the past!

36. bmoritz2003 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:03 PM

I can’t respect a guy who would turn on his teammate that quickly. Sure hope McCoy’s not judged on every single word he’s every said. As you judge, so shall you be judged. Bunch of phony hypocrites making this into a much bigger story than it needs to be.

37. donth8thehorns says: Aug 1, 2013 3:03 PM

Seriously!!!! This is NOT a guy that walks around in a 400 thread count white sheet @ night! There are NO Riley Cooper sightings @ a Robert Byrd rally! He used a word most clowns in the locker rooms use regularly, while listening to “rap” music that uses the same word in every song! Double standard??? I say yes!
    Move on!

38. armchairqb says: Aug 1, 2013 3:04 PM

So tired of the nauseating sanctimony of everyone reacting to this. Everyone has to trot out their PC street cred by describing how “awful” and “stupid” and “horribly racist” Cooper’s comments were before they launch into their opinion.

“Hey, I’d NEVER do anything like that because my thoughts and and deeds have always been pure as the driven snow, but THIS GUY …”

Please. It’s a word. Stop acting like Cooper revoked the 13th amendment.

39. 70huskers says: Aug 1, 2013 3:04 PM

Stop with the “young” excuse. My son is 17 and he knows better than to say something like that. The guy is trying to take responsibility for it so let him. Hopefully he will open up some eyes with his mistake and realize that we are all accountable for everything we say and do.

40. lks311 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:04 PM

misterwinston says:
    Aug 1, 2013 2:57 PM
    —————–
    First the word is always wrong, but, the word can be said with affection, camaraderie or venom. We all saw the tape…which did Riley mean?

41. denverbronconj says: Aug 1, 2013 3:05 PM

LeSean McCoy is a HYPOCRITE!!!

42. oakfolk says: Aug 1, 2013 3:05 PM

As an AA, I’d be upset too. But I wouldn’t let it affect my play. I have a family to feed and bills to pay. I just wouldn’t be buddy buddy with Cooper. Saying the N-word (the way Cooper said it) is saying “I don’t respect AAs”. So McCoy is justified is saying he can’t respect Cooper.

43. therealtruth210 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:06 PM

Remember the blacks can call themselves that word but nobody else can….lol! But I am sure shady has respect for the dog killing ex con on his team, right shady????

44. somethingsmellsrotten says: Aug 1, 2013 3:06 PM

And I’m sure when he gets together with his boys in the hood they never call each other that…yeah right.

45. seabronco says: Aug 1, 2013 3:06 PM

Why didn’t they make as big of a deal as the corner from San Fran talking about gays? Same exact thing

46. richndc says: Aug 1, 2013 3:08 PM

Food for thought: If you are not black, you don’t have the same perspective on race, it is impossible, so shut up trying to act like you do-and stop telling everyone to get over it. It is completely ignorant and idiotic to keep pointing out that black people use the N word and therefore it is a double standard–that somehow “all blacks” want to have their cake and eat it too. The fact that this needs to be pointed out tells me one thing: Many of you need to go home, and slap your mothers hard in the face for not raising you any better. You hate bombing everyone who points out that racial inequality is still a major issue in this country is not helping, especially when you do so anonymously behind a keyboard. It is the height of cowardice and decidedly un-American!

47. unionslie says: Aug 1, 2013 3:08 PM

such horrible double standards. I think racism is horribly wrong, but the topic of racism has HUGE double standards.

48. atldirtybird1 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:08 PM

When black people use the N word towards each other it isn’t being used as a derogatory or in hate. Black people use that word as a mockery of the word itself. Huge difference.

49. therealtruth210 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:11 PM

Don’t worry Reilly it’s not like you killed any dogs or had drugs sold out of a house that you owned or ran an illegal dog fighting ring or went to prison or lost millions and millions of dollars.

50. jh4prez says: Aug 1, 2013 3:12 PM

Que all the idiots that think its ok if a white guys says it in anger since black people say it in a friendly manner and without the”er”at the end.so predictable.so dumb.cut the back up wr cooper now iggles.

51. posey93 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:12 PM

I can understand why people could be upset because he used it in derogatory way, but I also understand how people feel when the word is used around them all time. Coming from a black male I feel that he should be forgiven but this shouldn’t be forgotten. He was able to apologize and then on top of that he was fined. I just feel that all this downing him is unnecessary. He says it was a mistake and he was drunk; maybe it was and maybe he was but that’s no excuse I’m just saying everyone deserves a second chance.

52. jimboinlimbo says: Aug 1, 2013 3:12 PM

While this story SHOULD die off fairly quickly, it is attracting AT LEAST the same amount of attention in its first 48 or so hours as did the Aaron Hernandez deal in its first 48.

Maybe need to make the word illegal….for everyone!

53. dmq13 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:14 PM

What I can’t respect is a man who has a confrontation with his baby mama on twitter. Smh lesean, like Marcus Vick you have your own personal issues and mistakes…learn to move on from other people’s mistakes if u want them to move on from yours.

54. pdidit09 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:15 PM

What everybody is failing to understand the N word was used to degrade to the lowest of low our Ancestors. We The Black People transformed into an endearing word for our race only. IT IS NEVER EVER OK FOR ANY RACE OUTSIDE OF THE BLACK RACE to use It in our presence. If you do, you automatically are dissed. PERIOD. When people outside of our race uses the N word it is meant to degrade, and it reminds us it all the horrific Injustices of our Ancestors. Best Inasna black person can explain it.

55. jcrileyesq says: Aug 1, 2013 3:15 PM

how many really believe him when he says that was the first time using the word?

56. bobonmycob says: Aug 1, 2013 3:15 PM

logicalvoicesays says: Aug 1, 2013 2:51 PM

Circus? Over what a player said on his own time at a concert while intoxicated? Your team can’t even afford a circus with that cap penalty. The real entertainment will be watching redskins fans faces full of disappointment when they finish last in the division. Goodluck grabbing all the players no teams want LOL. You scoop a guy up a week before preseason and think it’s a good pick up… Joke

57. taron2in1 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:16 PM

Racist defending racist is pure comedy!!!

58. dalcow4 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:16 PM

It’s funny to watch people react exactly how they’re brainwashed to react:

White libs scurry away while making fake shock faces and saying “it’s such a horrible thing!”

Black athletes immediately play act as if the entire world is against them– “We have to fight against this every day!”– while getting into their Mercedes and driving to their million dollar homes.

And everyone has to do the mental balancing act of labeling the same word “good/bad/not so bad” as it comes out of different races’ mouths.

59. ocho says: Aug 1, 2013 3:17 PM

Cooper said what he said, ok…but it was his response that more than likely drew the most eye rolls. “I have never used the word before”. That just seems unlikely given the way he said it and is the real slap in the face to anyone with any common sense. McCoy is just calling it like he sees it.

60. buckhuckster says: Aug 1, 2013 3:17 PM

sportsmeccabi says:
    Aug 1, 2013 2:50 PM

————————————–

Yes, sportsmeccabi, ALL black people say racial slurs. Every single one of them.

Easiest $10 you’ll ever win.

smh

61. sicdude says: Aug 1, 2013 3:18 PM

Just to be clear to all of those that are saying that Cooper is a distraction…..that’s 100% not true. The media is the distraction here. They are the ones that will keep making more of an issue out of this that it needs to be.

We’re literally talking about days upon days of stories about one man uttering one word to his friends, that someone else happened to overhear (and have on tape) Had Cooper been referring to a bunch of women and dropped a C bomb this wouldn’t even be a story….which is absolutely no different. The media just makes it seem like it is because they won’t let it go.

62. divious24 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:18 PM

At all u dumb sounding people who r in coopers corner it’s no double standard yes the black community uses the word often because it used to be a word of hate but we reversed it n made it into a word of love, with that being said its still not meant for other cultures to use it publicly and in such a derogatory manner that cooper did

63. duece5 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:18 PM

The problem is not just use of the N word. It is the use the C word for whites. It is the use of the S word for Hispanics.

It is use of the N word by EVERYONE, and black athletes USE IT ALL THE TIME.

Rappers, black and white, use it all the time.

So, for people to throw Cooper under the bus, for the rest of his career, is INSANE.

We live in an ultra sensitive environment, brought about the over liberal media, which NBC, and in that way, PFT is a part.

We need to grow a pair, quite honestly, as a society…..meaning, when you make a mistake like Copopper’s, apologize right away…..which he did……..now it is time to move on.

64. ibreathefootball says: Aug 1, 2013 3:18 PM

He looked drunk in the video, drinking is for losers. How is that stuff still legal?

65. ravensterps says: Aug 1, 2013 3:19 PM

It’s really just sad how many of you don’t understand the “double standard.” Read a history book. I mean, really.

66. umakenosense says: Aug 1, 2013 3:20 PM

But REDSKIN is ok !!!

67. taron2in1 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:21 PM

If you want to know what Black people do and say when they are together. Ask your Black friends. You do have Black friends right?

68. bhester1906 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:21 PM

As dumb is this may sound, when Cooper said the word with an “ER” at the end it completey changes the meaning from it it had ended with just an “A”. I know it sounds stupid but its the truth. I could defend it a little if it ended it “A” as just trying to use slang. The “ER” just makes it an outright racist comment.

69. whatjusthapped says: Aug 1, 2013 3:21 PM

Wow, talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill. Liberals love to act like they are morally superior, feel your pain, and have a world view of injustice. But the truth is, Cooper made a mistake and now they want to lynch him.

70. mrfrostyj says: Aug 1, 2013 3:22 PM

It’s rediculous when someone who uses that particular raciel slur turns around and says “well they call each other that all the time”. That comment in of itself furthers the fact that you are probably racist.

Just because you hear it in rap music and that culture doesn’t represent “every black person” or even most black people. Just as those goth kids you see who listen to that style of music or the “Juggalo’s” or any other genre that has a lifestyle that goes with it doesn’t represent all white people.

People don’t realize that the black community is seperated just like every other group in the world based on education and upbringing and there are a lot of people in that community who are very sensitive to that word no matter who says it (not just white people).

71. bookofelisha10 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:22 PM

every pratice is going to feel like a full game for riley cooper for the next few weeks until his teammates get over it lol

72. replacementwriter says: Aug 1, 2013 3:22 PM

richndc says:
    Aug 1, 2013 3:08 PM

————————————————

Slap your mother’s in the face? Is violence against women something that is ok if black people do it as well? I have heard a lot about it in rap so it must be…. Also this “only blacks can say this word EVER” nonsense is like having a colored only water fountain, it is extremely racist and you are only perpetuating the division. There should not be different rules based on the color of your skin, when will YOU realize how dumb this makes you look?

73. barbasol11111111 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:23 PM

If you guys can’t see the difference in a black guy saying it versus a white guy saying it you are being willfully ignorant/irrational

That being said, the coverage to substance ratio of this story is so absurd

74. somethingsmellsrotten says: Aug 1, 2013 3:23 PM

Whoa…reality sure got richndc’s panties in a bunch.

75. footballchic777 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:23 PM

You can’t just cut a guy because he used a derogatory word. Everyone uses derogatory words. This country has allowed these types of issues to become so overblown that they will never end. Can you call someone overweight fatso and get away with it? It IS derogatory and hurtful to that person, but does that not count because it isn’t against a person of color? How about how offensive it is to take the name of the Lord in vain? That is hurtful to Christians, but that is okay? We all grow up with hurtful things said to and about us. We just all can’t/don’t/won’t garner the same type of crazy press this does. That doesn’t make it any less hurtful. Maybe it is time we start learning tolerance and to turn the other cheek. Maybe through that, growth can be achieved. Or do we need Michael Vick to given us his okay for forgiveness to move forward?

76. 666foles says: Aug 1, 2013 3:24 PM

returntoexcellence says:Aug 1, 2013 2:51 PMSo you’ve never used that word right Lesean?
    So ur saying because hes black he had to use that word? Have u ever used that word? SMH

77. siggtacular says: Aug 1, 2013 3:24 PM

Just cut this racist

78. claymatthewshairplugs says: Aug 1, 2013 3:24 PM

You cats on here don’t understand. When you use the word like many of these players it ends in an A and not the ER. When it ends in ER that’s when the word becomes negative. The way it was said by Cooper was not endearing either. And before you judge me, know I’m not black.

79. nookers says: Aug 1, 2013 3:25 PM

Perhaps the team should practice what they preach . I am sure hes not th eonly guy that has used the word and he wasnt even at a team event. This is on his personal time.

80. sdwat54 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:25 PM

armchairqb says: Aug 1, 2013 3:04 PM

Please. It’s a word. Stop acting like Cooper revoked the 13th amendment.
    —————————-

Props.

81. patriots87 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:25 PM

i can see racism is strong in America simply by the thumbs up and thumbs down on these comments.

82. iced107 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:25 PM

If a black guy says it the same way and same tone, it’s okay…

A white guy says it, and its racist…

Hmmmm… Wonder what’s really racist here…The word itself or how it’s acceptable to say it based on the race?

83. ninetysixer says: Aug 1, 2013 3:26 PM

even tho every rapper he listens too has used the same word 1,000+ times

84. demjoneses says: Aug 1, 2013 3:26 PM

The word shouldn’t be used at all, Blacks (which I am) shouldn’t use it then get upset with whites for using it and whites shouldn’t use it then justify the use by saying blacks say it all the time.

The thing about it is Cooper said it in a derogatory way, it was racial, blacks aren’t being racist when they call each other the N word. Truth is here in Minnesota I hear groups of black, asian, white, somali kids using the term all the time. I even hear a group of a mixture of races call each other it. I don’t think it’s ok but I also don’t get offended because I know they’re not talking about me or even about blacks in general.

Cooper was talking about Blacks in general since he was talking to a group of black people. We know what he said to them but what did they say to him? It’s very well possible that the group of blacks were being just as racist but since Cooper is an Eagle it’s a big deal.

Again as a Black man I don’t think the word should be used by anyone but I also understand the meaning behind it when it is used and how it is used. So if this was a story about a white dude calling his black buddy the N word I’d say it’s nothing but it’s a white dude being racist calling a group the N word and it can’t be justified by saying Blacks say it all the time.

BEAR DOWN!!!! just so I’m not mistaken as a sikes fan.

85. phillysuxbigd says: Aug 1, 2013 3:28 PM

I hope every African american is just as upset with lesean for how he treats African American women. just look at his little twitter war with his “baby’s momma”. maybe eagles should get this guy outside councelling.

86. raybguilty says: Aug 1, 2013 3:28 PM

I have to fault Goodell’s lack of courage here. He should have taken some action against Riley, and at the same time address the rampant use of this
    word by ALL players. He knew that he would not
    be able to do this without a whole lotta trouble, so he backed down and allow the situation to continue. By using the word, one either enables others to use it or it causes resentment. Kinda hard to have it both ways.

87. boyshole25 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:28 PM

McCoys twitter feed had the n word on it a bunch. Hypocrite

88. jint77 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:28 PM

I’m black and I don’t use that word and plenty of black people I know do not use that word.

Black people are not monolithic and a very publicised and vocal minoirty of us use that word.

White guys are mad because they cant say the N word and black people can.

Cry me a river.

89. dryzzt23 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:30 PM

I can’t respect McCoy (or any other “offended” black player until he gives Cooper the second chance that he deserves. If a black player said “cracker” then you can bet that all he’d have to do is apologize, in fact he wouldn’t even have to b/c liberals would do it for him. No fine, no suspension, no witchhunt, so stigma, just “yo, I made a mistake”.

90. filthymcnasty1 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:32 PM

didit09 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:15 PM

********************************************

Sorry, but your position is far more racist than Cooper’s use of the word.

91. chrisrsports says: Aug 1, 2013 3:33 PM

Holy cow, out came the racists. You just can’t defend using that word. Also, the double standard argument is not logical as it is inherently racist itself. This story will calm down over time, but it is stupid to think this is no big deal.

92. oakfolk says: Aug 1, 2013 3:34 PM

Actually, if a black person came up to me and said “wussup my n-word with the ER”, it’d rub me the wrong way too! lol

93. kleppnasty says: Aug 1, 2013 3:35 PM

Why are people acting like the ‘double standard’ is so absurd. As a white man, I have no idea how hurtful that word can be, but I do know enough not to ever use it.
    For those who seem to think that it is unfair that some people can use the words and others can’t, get over it, that’s life. Depending on how, who, where a word is said, it takes on different meanings.
    Finally, if you are still unable to understand how/why some people can use the word and others can’t. Think about how you are with your family and friends. I’m sure that everyone reading this has made fun of a family member or friend in a way that was ok b/c they are your friend/family member; but if a stranger said the same exact thing to them, you would be offended b/c they are a stranger and the words sound more hate filled when they come from an ‘outsider’ rather than a loved one.

94. dadawg77 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:37 PM

Question is was it a one time slipup or did his inner redneck come out?
    Wonder what people will think if Vick ever leads him a little to far over the middle and he gets lit up?

Also you are very obtuse, if you can’t tell the difference in context between a white person using the word to refer to a black person and black person referring to a black person. Only one those carries the weight of 400 years of slavery, jim crow laws and intense discrimination.

95. dryzzt23 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:37 PM

Definition of “Racist”:
    The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

In no way did Cooper imply that his race was superior to any other race. Perhaps some blacks suffer from an inferiority complex.

96. jayniner says: Aug 1, 2013 3:38 PM

More people would respect your opinion McCoy if you put up numbers like say, Peterson, Lynch, Gore, Rice…..

At this point, even Kaepernick might pass you in rushing yards and rushing TD’s this season.

97. edelmanfanclub says: Aug 1, 2013 3:40 PM

I can’t respect him either. I hate country music.

98. oakfolk says: Aug 1, 2013 3:40 PM

Thank you kleppnasty!

99. dryzzt23 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:41 PM

I respect Cooper for responding like a man for his minor mistake. Lay off the guy.

100. floriorealitychkr says: Aug 1, 2013 3:41 PM

I’ll keep saying it…lets talk about the racial bias of the ROONEY RULE.
    If Cooper gets cut- I expect the EAGLES to be FORCED to offer a try out to at least ONE caucausian WR before they can sign one of an alternate race. Nothing racist about it- just asking for the same privilege for white WR’s everywhere that has been forced upon all 32 NFL TEAMS by the PC police of this generation.

101. jibberator says: Aug 1, 2013 3:42 PM

At least he didnt pretend it was someone else for a week before being found out!

102. jh500 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:42 PM

Thankfully the NFL isn’t like 70 percent black. That would suck for Cooper if he had to play with those DBs ever week. Dodged a bullet. Cooper will be safe.

103. realfootballfan says: Aug 1, 2013 3:43 PM

Really, the best thing for the Eagles to do is to move on. He’s not that good anyway. It will just be a distraction.

104. mf8590 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:44 PM

105. crubenst says: Aug 1, 2013 3:45 PM

Its not the WORD people its how he USED it. If he was in the locker room and said to a teammate “whats up my N-” there would be no problem. Its how he used it. It was as if he said,”I don’t like black people and I don’t respect them”

106. seatownballers says: Aug 1, 2013 3:45 PM

Awwwww this nation has issues. I am white. Many of my coworkers are Puerto Rican and black. They call me the ‘N’ word all the time. I don’t use it back though. But its funny compared to coopers current situation

107. dryzzt23 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:45 PM

Goodell need to make Cooper a protected person, just like blacks are a protected class.

If blacks are targeting him, then Cooper should be able to sue them and the black players should be charged with a hate crime.

108. ost2020 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:46 PM

Yet Shady probably respects the heck out of Mike Vick.

109. baltimoresnativeson says: Aug 1, 2013 3:47 PM

Its all about context. Saying I will fight every n word in here plus adding the e.r. at the end is pretty inflammatory. If you use it in a joking fashion with the “a” on the end on a basketball court or in a bar that is a lot more lighthearted. Some people think the word is evil regardless. Buy how you use it and pronounce it increases or decreases the venom the word has. Any race can use it imo. Just have to watch how you use it.

110. audioflint says: Aug 1, 2013 3:49 PM

Why isn’t the phrase “I forgave Riley” the title of this article? Mike, you aren’t helping the matter heal by titling the article “I can’t respect a guy like that.”

111. sasquash20 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:49 PM

I wish the Eagles would just cut him. Send a message to the entire team. Your conduct effects the entire team.

Also just because African Americans use it, that doesn’t mean whites can use it. Even more so in the manner in which Cooper used it.

African Americans as a whole have faced far harder up bringing then most white people have. They don’t get half the chances that I have received as a white american, raised in a white neighborhood.

Tolerance of each other is what is needed more. America is a melting pot of all cultures and races

112. njligernj says: Aug 1, 2013 3:51 PM

Do any of the idiots who are crying double standard because black people use “the n word” understand that if he had said “I want to fight every African American in this place bro” that would NOT be an acceptable thing to say?

Everyone is spazzing out about “the n word” but the content of what he said was arguably more disturbing. I’m not condoning his use of the word; I just think it’s kind of irrelevant. Why did he want to physically assault every black person there? Regardless of his use of a racial slur that is a very disturbingly specific impulse to have.

I don’t care that much that he used the n word (but I’d prefer he didn’t).

I do care that he is the type of human being who would want to fight every person of a particular race who is at an event.

I know “the n word” is provocative and all but seriously that is a super disturbing thing to say/think even if he just said “black” instead.

113. richndc says: Aug 1, 2013 3:52 PM

One thing is for sure. There are a lot of racists who troll on this board, they mostly hide behind passive/aggressive comments that pander towards to other racists so they can feel secure. It’s all based on fear, all of it– btw–if you think my comment about slapping your mothers is an incitement to violence towards women–it was more of a derogatory insult to your upbringing. Besides, none of you fools would bite the hand that feeds you(mommy)–I think she is calling from the top of the basement stairs to tell you that your mac and cheese is ready. Put down to the game controller and go eat now…go on

114. sdakota says: Aug 1, 2013 3:52 PM

since he was fined will any player who listens to rap from an artist that uses the word be fined also? fair is fair, right?

115. tindeaux says: Aug 1, 2013 3:52 PM

Respect needs to be earned. Riley doesn’t deserve it. Move on!!!

116. therillest says: Aug 1, 2013 3:53 PM

I tell you what….lets switch! You white people can say the “N-word” all you want and the Black people will take that 300 year head start that SLAVERY and SEGREGATION gave you in the RACE to gain almost all the land, wealth, power and influence in this country….DEAL?!?!?!?!

117. audioflint says: Aug 1, 2013 3:54 PM

Release this cancer from the team and move on. He will NEVER be looked at the same again by the players…reguardles of what they say. He has crossed that line and will never be taken back.

—————————————————-

To be clear, Cooper was wrong with what he said. But if Mike Vick has the opportunity to make things right, then Riley Cooper also deserves that chance.

118. nflpoker says: Aug 1, 2013 3:55 PM

sportsmeccabi says:
    Aug 1, 2013 2:50 PM

raiderufan says:
    Aug 1, 2013 2:50 PM

And I DO NOT condone his actions. I just hate the double standard just as much.
    ——————————————-
    That is about it and says a lot. But I wouldn’t take that bet, because I would lose. The hypocrisy exists without a doubt. But the people who practice it will never admit it.

119. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 1, 2013 3:56 PM

That sound you hear is the Eagles team going over the cliff.

120. hollywood26 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:57 PM

I am constantly amused in how people scream double standard. The N word is basically like two different words depending on who says it. It’s like saying “football” As an American I assume you are talking about tackle football. However, a person from latin america will assume you mean soccer. Same word but two different meanings. Context is important and people seem to gloss over it.

Some blacks (I am black by the way) use the word much the way some people say “dude” that’s all it means. It’s peculiar to the culture and while I dont approve I understand.

Riley was using the word as a slur. He meant something negative and thus why he is judged. I dont think it’s a death sentence but his interactions would definitely be more closely examined in the future.

121. bluezebra58 says: Aug 1, 2013 3:57 PM

I will not defend the use of the word it is wrong for everyone. Please someone explain why a nfl team is allowed to be known by a racist term? Of course Goodell can’t do anything he defends the “Redskins”! I guess if your minority doesn’t
    have a Jesse Jackson you have to accept racial slurs like Redskin!

122. ravensterps says: Aug 1, 2013 4:00 PM

I’m so embarrassed to be white right now. To all of you white people in the comments section who think you get to decide what is racist and what isn’t: YOU ARE IDIOTS.

123. filthymcnasty1 says: Aug 1, 2013 4:00 PM

therillest says: Aug 1, 2013 3:53 PM

************************************************

This looks like ideal proof that you don’t have to be white to be a racist.

124. mf8590 says: Aug 1, 2013 4:01 PM

Racism is alive and well. If you don’t believe it just go back and read some of the comments. To say that black people shouldn’t be offended by the use of the N word by whites tells me all I need to know about you. And no…we are not just going to get over it

125. eaglesw00t says: Aug 1, 2013 4:01 PM

I am a black male. I support the Eagles not cutting him completely.

All of you holier than thou people need a reality check. When did athletes stop being allowed an opinion?

And before you hate…find out what happened outside of the damn stadium before you become so outraged by one single word.

126. jwallace4480 says: Aug 1, 2013 4:02 PM

Riley using the word with racist intent is completely different than any other black person using the term among eachother. INTENT is everything!! which is why it seperates murder and manslaughter.

127. forevermore5220 says: Aug 1, 2013 4:06 PM

rasta028 says:Aug 1, 2013 2:46 PM

Enough already, tired of this OLD subject.

Old huh? being revealed this week is old? yet u clown continuosly harp on the hernandez case? and u clown bring up “ray lewis is a murder” weeks preceeding the super bowl and shortly thereafter? old?

yea…. makes alot of sense. clown

128. dcfan999 says: Aug 1, 2013 4:07 PM

Yet I bet McCoy uses that word a lot

129. jonwill57 says: Aug 1, 2013 4:08 PM

I am African-American and I hate the use of the word in any circles. I have friends and in-laws that say it all the time. I’m really not sure why. Two things are abundantly clear, (1) white people introduced this word to society (2) maybe it’s time to begin educating people (again) even if it’s one incident at a time.

The use of this word amongst my race is for my race to figure out…therefore my advice to anyone else, it’s a family matter and stay out of it and just know YOU cannot use it without payback.

130. grogseal says: Aug 1, 2013 4:09 PM

Years ago I (a Caucasian) lived in a black neighborhood in a city in the northeast. The N-word was used regularly by my neighbors when they referred to their version of “white trash”.

131. forevermore5220 says: Aug 1, 2013 4:09 PM

ravenssbxlvii says:Aug 1, 2013 2:47 PM

Get over it…

as a fellow ravens fan, please shut up. Clearly a problem that needs to be addressed. we sit here and harp on all trivial things and carry on with them for months, sometimes YEARS… yet its get over it when something like this happens? not even a week old? smh

#c’monman

132. staff2cj says: Aug 1, 2013 4:11 PM

OF COURSE RILEY COOPER IS A RACIST!!!!!

133. jpat2424 says: Aug 1, 2013 4:13 PM

Oh well

134. footballchic777 says: Aug 1, 2013 4:14 PM

the word is the word. ….. no matter who uses it. Fine all or fine none.

135. staff2cj says: Aug 1, 2013 4:15 PM

Send a message this will not be tolerated by anybody! Cut this racist!!!

136. redskinfansince82 says: Aug 1, 2013 4:15 PM

Riley Cooper reminds me of some of these fools commenting on PFT.

137. forevermore5220 says: Aug 1, 2013 4:18 PM

Ok so here’s the double standard:

Black players
    Kill a person (Lewis) = get a second chance
    Kill dogs (VIck) = get a second chance
    Deal drugs (multiple players) = get a second chance
    Beat women (multiple) = get a second chance
    Drive drunk (multiple) = = get a second chance
    Say the “N” word = nothing happens b/c if a black guy says it then it’s “cool”

White players

Double stand anyone?

I’m guessing Big Ben is black, right? cause he didn’t get 3 chances after rapping college girls 2 summers in a row?

White ppl don’t drive drun? (broncos execs, ravens offensive line caoch)

White ppl dont deal drugs?

White people dont hit women ever?

White ppl don’t fight dogs?

So from what your saying… black people are the only ones that commit crimes, right? and they ALWAYS get off scott free?

o ok… got it.. makes sense now…

138. staff2cj says: Aug 1, 2013 4:18 PM

This should be a HOT TOPIC at the HOF game..Minority players please don’t sweep this under the rug…The NFL should be embarrased..

139. mute617 says: Aug 1, 2013 4:19 PM

If people wouldn’t freak out so much when the word is used, it would get used less until it gets used close to never. Also it would help if rappers didn’t say it very other word.

140. crazycane says: Aug 1, 2013 4:20 PM

eatitfanboy says: Aug 1, 2013 2:49 PM

I’m 46.

Guess I was being naive. Sad nonetheless.
    —-
    You could thank your President for that

141. rabidbillsfan says: Aug 1, 2013 4:21 PM

Somebody grab a dang dictionary and school the fools who keep saying, “But it can be said in a non-derogatory, almost friendly way.” You are an idiot. African Americans didn’t invent the word, White people did, contrgatulations on adopting a derogatory word to describe each other, but I’m stupid, right? It’s a filthy word, that should be abolsihed from all walks of life, anybody who thinks otherwise needs to have their head examined. If you are cool with using a word to describe yourself, then you had better be ok with others doing the same thing. It is a double standard, and if I were Cooper, I would have a lawyer handy in case of any shenanigans, hate crimes and all… oh wait, he’s white those don’t exist for them folk.

142. broncosnative says: Aug 1, 2013 4:22 PM

As a black person, the N word shouldn’t be use by anybody. Us black people (in general) are hypocrites, why is it ok to use that word amongst ourselves but not a different race. You say it reminds you of slavery, then stop using the word altogether then because it has no other meaning than what it was used for in the past. Just because we’re black doesn’t give us the pass to use the N word freely, we need to let the past go, sometimes I feel that us black think all white people are racists. I believe it was a mistake by cooper but ask this, would a black person receive the same punishment or critizism if the shoe was on the other foot.

143. fissels says: Aug 1, 2013 4:23 PM

Can’t everybody please move on?

144. philly4lyfe says: Aug 1, 2013 4:23 PM

I love how many ppl are saying its ok for blacks to use that word but nobody else. whatever happened to the first amendment? I’m allowed to say whatever I want to whoever I want no matter how much it may offend or annoy them, and vice versa. I’m pretty sure you can’t claim a word for yourself and nobody else can use it.

145. staff2cj says: Aug 1, 2013 4:27 PM

The N word is filthy that was created by the slavemaster…Where did Riley learn this word, I suspect his white parents.

146. jint77 says: Aug 1, 2013 4:28 PM

It seems that some of the people on here are generalizing a whole race of people and using subtle racial language to get there point across.

You now who you are.

147. Nickstixx says: Aug 1, 2013 4:28 PM

I can’t respect guys that beat women and kick them out of a party bus on the side of an interstate… Like Lesean McCoy did over the offseason..
    This guy is sounding all high and mighty now?? Please…
    And I’m sure he uses the word on the regular!

Some dude on here commenting about how it’s ONLY okay for Black people to use the word…
    WHY?! Why would you use a word that supposedly brings so much pain and hurt to you with each other? It doesn’t make sense, and it just sounds like they are looking for an excuse for attention.
    Get over it!

148. sportsfannatic says: Aug 1, 2013 4:30 PM

Bottom line it’s not ok to say the “n” word I don’t care who’s saying it. I am an African American and I was taught to respect everyone no matter their race. I see no color. I do not use the “n” word and I don’t like another African American to call me that word or any other race for that matter. It means “extremely unsophisticated”. And that is not me. I feel those who do use that word are extremely unsophisticated. It’s never right to use that word or any other racial slur for that matter.

149. mp4pack says: Aug 1, 2013 4:30 PM

No one should use the word. Blacks using it even when addressing each other is ill-advised, and it seems as though that message is getting through and it is used less in that context than it was 10-15 years ago. However, anyone who sits there and claims that they can see no difference between a black person using it and a white person using it is too stupid to continue wasting my children’s oxygen.

150. Kaz says: Aug 1, 2013 4:31 PM

Why do non african americans always try to use the fact that black people use the word to justify their use of it. If you got mad at your mom/wife/husband/child and called him/her stupid while talking about it to me. does that mean I can? Would? or Should? 9 times out of 10 you wouldn’t.

Black people use the word, but not like you think. Not as a sign to lynch someone, or not let them use the same bathroom as you. Not because they ran away from you and you want to whip them. Not because you want to rape them so that you can have free labor. Not because you want to sick dogs on them… Stop them from voting. The problem with non blacks using it is you don’t know and can’t trust what they mean by it.

151. birdsfan20 says: Aug 1, 2013 4:31 PM

This coming from probably the biggest idiot on the Eagles roster. I’m sure he was pretty relieved to have his recent transgressions on his ‘Party Bus’ overshadowed by this nonsense. How about we talk about actual football news, Bleacher Report?
    Get over it.

152. hockeyflow33 says: Aug 1, 2013 4:31 PM

Saying a word is unforgivable but slaughtering pets is fine

153. officialmiamidolphinsspokesperson says: Aug 1, 2013 4:31 PM

Im a black guy.

This was blown out of proportion. If i was Mike Vick i would say:

“I forgive him. Look, we all say some things we regret at some point in life. Coop had one of those moments, unfortunately it was on camera and broadcast to the nation. Honeslty, Coop comes to work everyday, works hard, and shows me respect. Thats all i care about. What he does on his own time or what he says on his own time isnt my business. Again we ALL have put our foot in our mouth at somepoint and i refuse to crucify him because he was filmed and broadcast. ..HEY RILEY! ITS ALL GOOD BRO. SHAKE IT OFF, WE GOT PRACTICE TOMORROW” ..

and then i would shake his hand or give him dap.

and THAT my friends is how you end the CYCLE #beabiggerperson

154. patriots420 says: Aug 1, 2013 4:32 PM

Cooper should not have said what he did. But like a previous comment said the double standard of this word is unbelievable. I think everyone should be able to use the word without consequence the way the black community does. Personally I use it when talking to to white and black friends more as a synonym for a close friend, like dude, homie, my boy etc, mostly in a funny ironic way because of the way the black community use it.

McCoy is really showing to me he is a NAACP supporting double standard bearing racist by taking so much offence. He seems like he is a guy who “prefers” the company of black people to that of anyone else. That is 100% equal to whites who won’t hang out with blacks.

155. lakedog19352 says: Aug 1, 2013 4:33 PM

I am not hip to hip hop but I am pretty sure if he ended the word with an “a” instead of “er” he would be fine, no?

156. goodlookingmonkey says: Aug 1, 2013 4:34 PM

But apparently its okay for LeSean McCoy to beat a woman. Thats someone he can respect. Loser

157. elleclouds says: Aug 1, 2013 4:35 PM

A lot of you will not understand this but the ending of the word with either an -a and an -er have two different connotations. I reserved judgement and thought it was blown out of proportion until I watched the video and heard that -er was used. So people claiming that “black” people use it all the time need to understand that they are different words that have different meanings.

158. nflpoker says: Aug 1, 2013 4:35 PM

Let’s see if I get this right:

1) It’s ok to be a hypocrite and holier-than-thou.
    2) No blacks are racist, never say anything racist, and absolutely can say anything whether it is bad or not, but others can’t under all circumstances (i.e. blacks can live under different set of rules).

To the people who believe this are really off the mark. Wake up.

159. biggs13 says: Aug 1, 2013 4:36 PM

Cooper probably recently saw 42 and it slipped.

Let’s try to forgive and not forget like Jackie Robinson did!

160. birdsfan20 says: Aug 1, 2013 4:39 PM

I love all the “He should be cut!!!” As if none of you guys have ever said/done anything that could’ve gotten you fired if it would’ve been broadcast to the nation. The guy is an idiot, said a dumb thing, and is now absolutely, positively, paying the price for it. You think all this national attention isn’t punishment enough for ONE WORD? Haha clueless!!!

161. rajbais says: Aug 1, 2013 4:42 PM

Anyone who thinks that Riley Cooper’s actions aren’t a big deal are a bunch of hypocrites.

Ozzie Guillen had something good to say about Fidel Castro and everyone was upset.

Michael Richards did what Riley Cooper did except he was sober when doing so.

Cooper should be worthy of escape?

Either racism is still around or everyone loves to talk out of both sides of their mouths.

162. sportsfannatic says: Aug 1, 2013 4:43 PM

Not all black people use the word. The ones who have respect for themselves and their culture do not use that word. Until you talk to EVERY black person on the face of this earth anybody saying all black people use the “n” word are wrong. The ignorant ones who don’t know jack about their history are the ones using the word. Lack of self respect. Anybody who feels they need to use a racial slur to refer to another being are lost. So in all reality entertaining those who are a few sandwiches short of picnic basket is senseless.

163. mutohasaposse says: Aug 1, 2013 4:47 PM

I think people are looking at this wrong. I think Cooper should be cut, not because he said something stupid. He should be cut because his actions divided the locker room.

164. posidelphia says: Aug 1, 2013 4:47 PM

Think of all the dumb things you could yell when you’re drunk and if we were all held to the standard of if it left your mouth it defines you. Even the Black Panthers are starting to feel sorry for this guy…

165. rajbais says: Aug 1, 2013 4:49 PM

Everyone acts crazy when Terrell Owens says something about his coaches or quarterbacks.

A white player saying the N-Word is okay?

Particularly when the N-Word was used to describe blacks while they were discriminated or enslaved?

It’s not acceptable for anyone to use and those who are okay or indifferent have shown me that racism may not be blatant, but it’s obvious enough to spot when no one shows empathy towards the racially discriminated.

166. ace8842 says: Aug 1, 2013 4:49 PM

This subject is boring. You don’t have to respect everyone on your team, but you do have to be professional and work with them. Who here likes everyone at their office?

167. divious24 says: Aug 1, 2013 4:51 PM

All of on here 1 point was made to valid and it’s comes from kleppnasty all u should go read it and stop posting and talking, the N word was used by other cultures to disrespect African Americans or blacks that’s y it’s such a sensitive subject, u don’t see other races walking around n using a disrespectful word so y should this 1 be a slap on the wrist

168. stretech523 says: Aug 1, 2013 4:53 PM

Umm, has anyone read McCoy’s twitter or followed his behavior and disrespect towards women? Not sure I’d care if I had his respect.

As for Cooper, you can’t say it. You shouldn’t even think it, but to be dumb enough to say it…

And we’re all hypocrites because we still allow the use of Redskins which is a slap in the face to a race of people so downtrodden there aren’t enough of them left to complain about it.

169. audioflint says: Aug 1, 2013 4:54 PM

————————————————–

Intent is huge, but perception is just as large. For instance, who has ever seen a Native American call his friend a Redskin? In other words, some might see that as a reason for the rest of humanity to avoid calling them that. But if many African Americans call themselves the “N” word, the rest of society might think it is okay to call them that regardless of the meaning. The point is: We need to train our children to avoid using the “N” word regardless of how it’s intended.

170. noring4youstill says: Aug 1, 2013 4:54 PM

Then McCoy got in his truck and turned up his Lil Wayne

171. posidelphia says: Aug 1, 2013 4:54 PM

The President of the United States is black and just got re-elected in a landslide right? Just checking.

172. bensstinkyfingers says: Aug 1, 2013 4:55 PM

Riley should at least earn some “cred” for “keeping it real”, you know what um sayin cuz.

173. bullybirds says: Aug 1, 2013 4:59 PM

Personally, he’s only sorry because he got caught. I think its like that with anyone who does something in the dark that comes to life.

Also to think that was the first time he said that word is laughable.

174. condeclar says: Aug 1, 2013 5:03 PM

I’m tired of people throwing out the word “Racism” for just about anything…

It’s not a racist word and it doesn’t make you a racist if you use it.

Sure, it’s a demeaning and offensive word because of it’s history….

And, I understand why black people wouldn’t like to be called it.

However, Racism is the belief that one race is inherently by nature superior to another race. That another race doesn’t have the same human value that your race has.

Calling someone a name doesn’t mean you believe your race is by nature superior to their race.

People don’t like each other all over this world and people call each other hurtful things all over this world…

It’s a fact of life. Black people and white people call each other hurtful things all of the time.

I’m pretty confident that he doesn’t believe that blacks are inferior by nature…

It’s a freaken name…. and everyone calls people names!!

175. doublenickelz says: Aug 1, 2013 5:03 PM

What do you expect from this kid…he’s in filthadelphia! Those people have no respect for ANYONE!

176. nflpoker says: Aug 1, 2013 5:04 PM

Michael Vick was right when he said that we all put our foot in our mouths. We don’t know whether he said those kinds of words a lot before or not. So before you condemn him as this horrible person, it might be smart to listen to the people who know him. If this was the only time he said stuff like this, then c’mon man. What he said was wrong and he shouldn’t have said it, but your wanting to crucify him regardless, is bad as well. Then again, I know some of you think you are perfect all the time,

177. birdsfan20 says: Aug 1, 2013 5:04 PM

“Psh, this is way worse than me harassing that chick and getting in twitter fights with my ex. At least I didn’t call somebody the n word. Oh, wait, yeah I did — like a thousand times.”

–Lesean McCoy

178. bucsducksipa says: Aug 1, 2013 5:07 PM

Absolutely stunning, the level of cognitive dissonance displayed by the majority of posters here. First of all most of these comments should be disqualified automatically because the authors have zero experience, other than employing it, with racial discrimination. Allow me to demonstrate. Every comment that alludes to hypocrisy on the part of African American players, because they use the term, is a stone cold idiot. These morons cannot possibly begin to fathom that since African Americans have chosen to take possession of the term, the historical denigration suffered by their race has been partially diminished but can never be completely eliminated, from their collective psyche. Literally millions of people, over the course of ages, have had all manners of cruelty imposed upon them simply because of the color of their skin. My bigotry against idiots can clearly be seen by my comments, I do not suffer stupidity well, however I am forced to do so, more often than not on this very website. While those who choose to demonstrate their stupidity are people too my tolerance for them decreases exponentially with every comment they leave. No race has a monopoly on stupidity, nonetheless, considering the subject matter, one would have to conclude the Caucasians are trying to corner the market.

179. gbpakrfan says: Aug 1, 2013 5:10 PM

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me….

180. browniebuck says: Aug 1, 2013 5:24 PM

I will, at least, give LeSean McCoy credit for having the sack to put his name to his comments and not try to hide who he is.

Until this word stops being used by ALL races, there will be issues. Children don’t see color, they see a person. It isn’t until they run into an idiot (often times, a parent) that they start to see the difference between a black playmate and a white one. Children just see a nice person or one that isn’t very nice. It is because this word is used (by either race…whether it be a black person calling another my n or a white person trying to be “cool” by calling someone my n, or a white person using it in a degrading fashion) that it continues to perpetuate itself.

Stop using the word and you will see a change…continue using the word, regardless of the manner in which it is used, and you will continue to see instances like this.

181. sfraider says: Aug 1, 2013 5:29 PM

————–

Some truth here:

Image your wife’s best friend walks up to her and says “hey bitch” in a friendly manner are you mad?

But then some drunk dude at a concert that doesn’t know your wife walks up to her and yells “HEY BITCH” is your reaction the same? Are you calling double standard then?

182. deejayehn says: Aug 1, 2013 5:30 PM

Racism exists in every race.

Blacks are not immune…

183. bucsducksipa says: Aug 1, 2013 5:35 PM

I don’t think Cooper should be cut and every penny of the fine should go the the UNCF.

184. noring4youstill says: Aug 1, 2013 5:41 PM

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never….. Oh wait nevermind

185. 1rockyracoon says: Aug 1, 2013 5:53 PM

Let’s rewind to when McCoy showed his “true colors” as a man. It was when he went on twitter and verbally attacked the mother of his newborn child. Shady may want to remember that when he talks about his inability to respect another person who made a horrendous mistake.

186. tiger2471 says: Aug 1, 2013 5:56 PM

What blows me away about a majority of these comments is how dismissive they are to what Riley said, unbelievable. Inflection of the word and intent mean everything when this word is used, you people know this as well as I do. But, it really doesn’t matter what type of feelings and opinions we all hold here because Riley Cooper is the one who will have to suit up every game and go out on the field and face the majority of black players that will probably be trying to blow him up on every single play.

187. rcali says: Aug 1, 2013 6:03 PM

Had he just committed a felony the eagles would be looking to sign him to a contract extension.

188. paulz624 says: Aug 1, 2013 6:15 PM

McCoy is the same guy that threw a girl off a party bus in the middle of nowhere a couple months ago, but I guess that’s not as bad, these people make me laugh.

189. theuglitruth says: Aug 1, 2013 6:28 PM

SIDE SHOW COOPER….the rest of the NFC east sends it’s thanks for being a distraction.

190. byzr says: Aug 1, 2013 6:33 PM

boo hoo i’m a millionaire who doesn’t like hearing someone say something boo hoo.

191. shaundolphinsfan23 says: Aug 1, 2013 6:54 PM

Maybe the problem here has originated within. I mean, think about it. Every word that anyone has ever spoken has been something that they’ve previously been exposed to, right? How many black people within the Eagles locker room (or all locker rooms for that matter) are spitting out the “N” word left and right? I’m not saying that racism is okay. It’s not. All I am saying is that if we are to truly solve this seemingly never ending issue, it has to start at the source. The source of this problem, at least as it pertains to racist terminology being used, is that the word is commonly used by so many people of all colors. My point in a nutshell: If you don’t want a word to be said, don’t say it yourself. If everyone stops using the word, eventually the word wont exist, because no one will know it.

192. sweetnlow44 says: Aug 1, 2013 7:31 PM

I get it that it was used derogatorily by Cooper and that black people use the word amongst each other not in a derogatory way. So, I can see why black people would be offended by this, ONLY if they’ve never used the word cracker derogatorily. I kinda have a feeling that Lesean McCoy probably has used cracker in a non-homie type tone before. So, shut up, McCoy, and get over it.

193. illad3lph1a says: Aug 1, 2013 9:41 PM

“That ultimately could be impossible.” Bwhahah you are right!! impossible to not be able to focus on football because of this comment.

194. beerndrums says: Aug 1, 2013 9:50 PM

I still don’t see what the big deal is

195. tory707 says: Aug 1, 2013 9:57 PM

Ask McCoy has he paid his bar and restaurant bills lately and has he tipped any of the people that waited on his party’s. this guy has no room to make any judgement

196. wearethelostkids says: Aug 2, 2013 12:39 AM

I think black people are the only few if not only race out there that would use a term that is considered racist to their own race as a everyday friendly term to their own people but then they would get all offensive if another race says it. Do you hear asian people calling each other rice cakes or chinks? Even if someone call them that most likely they wouldn’t even care as much. White people call each other hillbillys or rednecks…..they don’t care. Mean while the native americans find us using the name “Redskins” very racist and they would never use it against themselves. Point is, if you really find a term racially offensive to you, you shouldn’t be using it everyday with your friends. You Mr. Shady would be lying if you say you don’t call your friends that word. I’m not defending Cooper at all. He’s an idiot, he wouldn’t be sorry if it wasn’t caught on camera. But I don’t care about him saying the word as much as the people who are blowing up about it like Shady.

197. mclovin07 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:39 AM

Aaron Rodgers will bet a paycheck McCoy has used the “N” word on a daily basis….

198. v2the4 says: Aug 2, 2013 6:43 AM

with Jeremy McLane’s acl tear ending his season before it started, the eagles are counting on big things from Riley Cooper to pick up the slack. Cooper is a wideout with a big body, good hands and so far, the guy has been able to perform when called upon.

first off, I hate the term “N” word…what is that? the meaning and power of the word is taking out when you say that, but to be politically correct, we have to paraphrase it, along with words used to other members of society.

With this issue of him using the “N” word in a very derogatory fashion toward a group of black security guards and being caught on tape, he had to make major amends to his teammates, the fans and the city of Philly….he apologized to everyone. he admitted he was drunk and very upset that night and the incident was totally out of character.

As a black man, I accept his apology. He “Manned up” in front of the cameras, didnt try to hide behind some female(wife, girlfriend, mother), his agent, his publicist or some sorry azz lawyer….truth be told, behind closed doors, everyone uses some sort of derogatory language that they would be ashamed of using in public.

Scores of blacks refer to their friends with the “N” word as a term of endearment, and the younger folks, of all races, especially in the suburbs, use the N word when speaking to each other…sad and stupid.

Football season is upon us, so we need to get on with the business of enjoy this sport that we all love.

199. kelz1966kelz1966 says: Aug 2, 2013 8:06 AM

McCoy better watch out. If Cooper is cut over this, womens groups will be up in arms over the team sweeping his incidents under the carpet. His public tirade on the mother of his child on twitter, and the the lawsuit over the woman he had his bodyguard toss off a party bus like a bag of trash, at a remote rest stop on the NJ turnpike. He has an ugly pattern of treating woman as less than human, and to treat his transgressions as lesser offences because they were against women, will not go over well at all. Especially since the teams owner is involved in support groups against violence towards women.

200. bigblackanvil says: Aug 2, 2013 8:08 AM

I laugh when you say ” just get over it” You don’t understand what it’s like because you never experienced it. How do you get over it? Let me break it down to you. When these players go play on the road as a team. They are suppose to be “brothers” right? The black players are subjected to all kinds of racial slurs (…YES IN 2013 !!!!). The black players thinking ..” Hey ! Dude has my back….We go to war together… ” Then BAM!!! Your teammate…your”bro” is saying the same racial slurs when you’re not around. And don’t say maybe he wasn’t saying it to be derogatory. I bet a million he never said that around his team mates or any other black people. Why? because he knew what that word meant. He’s sorry he got caught. Nothing worse than being a “two-face”.

201. leroyquimby says: Aug 2, 2013 8:09 AM

Judging by the comments in here I guess white people want to be able to use the word without consequence. I don’t understand the venom towards the double standard either. As a black man I can’t catch a cab in NYC and I get followed around in retail stores by employees. Get over it.

202. bcgreg says: Aug 2, 2013 8:35 AM

Ya know who just divided the Philly locker room?

LeSean McCoy

If McCoy believes that, then fine. But, you keep that to yourself.

People ask what the Patriot Way is all the time. Perfect example right here. You wouldn’t hear this opinion from a player in the media in NE. This Cooper story has become a distraction not only because of the Cooper’s words but because of McCoy’s too. McCoy has created a larger distraction by opening his mouth.

203. bigblackanvil says: Aug 2, 2013 8:43 AM

@shaundolphinsfan23 ….You’re trying sum up the entire argument of the use of the “n” word to say maybe he learned it from the locker room? U can’t be serious.

204. bigblackanvil says: Aug 2, 2013 8:48 AM

@shaundolphinsfan23 ….and do you play for the Eagles? Can you verify that the “n” word flies left and right? Nothing personal but your reasoning is flawed.

205. bigblackanvil says: Aug 2, 2013 8:53 AM

@paulz624 says….what does what McCoy did have to do with what Cooper said? …just like I thought…..nothing…

206. eldoradogeorge says: Aug 2, 2013 9:04 AM

This whole thing is just idiotic! Had it been Vick or McCoy using the word, there’d be no issue whatsoever.

It’s just a word people. It only has negativity attached to it if you allow it. It’s not like he was dressed in full Grand Wizard garb and brandishing a noose.

It was a heated moment and he said something stupid. All of us have done that. Let it go (players and public) and move on with your lives!

Keep your head up Riley! It’s only a matter of time before one of your NFL brethren gets popped for drugs, DUI, or assault and this becomes old news.

207. kelz1966kelz1966 says: Aug 2, 2013 11:19 AM

bigblackanvil….seriously? The front office and his teammates all looked the other way and swept McCoys multiple transgressions against women under the carpet. Are you saying that actions against women that demeans, belittle and puts them in harms way is a lesser transgression than what Cooper did? Would you want someone to have their bodyguard toss your sister or daughter off a bus at some remote rest stop in the NJ turnpike in the middle of the night? McCoy is a dispicable human being who has committed horrible acts against other human being, and he has been forgiven by his teammates. That is what he has to do with this situation.

208. donny05 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:21 PM

But McCoy is OK with with treating women like garbage.

209. earz4lsu says: Aug 2, 2013 2:36 PM

So let me get this straight.

A guy gets drunk uses a word which apparently can’t be used by anyone who is straight from the hood and his playing career may be over forever?

Holy Crap on a shingle batman why not take this PO garbage out back hand him a cigarette blindfold and shoot him.

let me get this straight we can never forgive Cooper, yet we are suppose to forgive Vick after he came out of jail for slaughtering dogs, sober mind you.

We are suppose to forgive Plaxico Buress for illegally carrying a gun into a crowded bar and shooting himself after he got out of jail.

We are suppose to forgive Leonard Little after he serves some jail time and pays the family of the individual he killed, WHILE DRUNK MIND YOU.

We are suppose to forgive pacman the rainman jones after a man was paralyzed during a bar fight, WHICH HE STARTED.

We are suppose to forgive James Harrison for beating his wife because things got out of hand.

We are suppose to forgive Jason Peters OF THE EAGLES for Street Racing and leading police on a high speed chase, which BTW endangered way more people than Cooper did.

Its amazing to me that the same people who are all bent out of shape and saying they could never play with a guy like cooper could some how find in within their hearts to give Vick or Peters a second, third or even fourth chance, all the while listening to the most vile, degrading “music” ever produced.

Can anyone say hypocritical.

Pathetic and even funny since it is the eagles and they are well pathetic to start with.

210. bick54 says: Aug 2, 2013 6:42 PM

I’m half Mexican and been called beaner, spic, wetback, etc…should I break out the wahmbulance?

Since when do blacks hold the patent on being victims of racial slurs.

If some fool thinks that the race he was born into makes him superior to someone born into a different race…SO WHAT??? How is this even a topic to discuss – let alone the fact that someone used a slur – racial or otherwise – and whether or not he is hasn’t been established?

211. rukkus1 says: Aug 3, 2013 7:42 AM

“I cant respect a man like that” says the man that hits on women…

You cant respect a man that says a screwed up word, yet you hit on someone who is physical inferior to you… yous a MARK LaSean.

Good ballin skills… but a straight up hypocrite

212. pizzon says: Aug 4, 2013 4:09 PM

I guess he can respect a guy like Vick who actually spent time in Federal Prison, but then again he is a homey right so its all good. part of the problem in this country is there are too many double standards. they have a black only entertainment channel BET and you dont hear the whites crying racism, but if the whites had a TV station like that you would have Sharpton and the other idiot Jesse Jackson screaming for someones head. these people need to get a life Cooper has apologized and he owes nobody nothing else. if the black community and the media want to keep this thing going thats on them. this sensitivity training is a bunch of BS if you ask me, its like sexual harrassment training you get in the workplace, yet women come to work looking like they had to jump off the roof to get into their clothes.

213. ppletr says: Aug 5, 2013 12:03 AM

Did I miss something? Where is the outrage regarding Roddy White calling for the murder of the six jurors in the Zimmerman trial? Likewise,
    Victor Cruz saying Zimmerman would be killed within a year in the ‘hood. Let’s not talk about Charlie Rangel (Congressman) calling Tea Party a bunch of “white crackers”. Want to go back further…Jesie Jackson calling NYC “Hymie town”.
    “Let who is without sin cast the first stone.”
    ‘Nuff said…let it die already…………………….

214. skinsfanwill says: Aug 5, 2013 9:39 AM

The problem isn’t word, it’s the manner in which is being used. Call a black man “boy” with that slave owner tone and see what type of reaction you get. Do we look to ban the word “boy” in locker rooms? there is no double standard here. His intent behind his words is what speaks volumes. Not the actual word.

215. The Prophet says: Aug 5, 2013 4:58 PM

Considering Black people had to endure being your slaves for decades and even after that weren’t even considered human, only earned the legal right to be equal in the 60′s, and have endured countless acts of racism, is a simple request to unconditionally stop saying the N-word so much to ask?

216. mlc2656 says: Aug 5, 2013 7:09 PM

I agree 100% that the media is sensationalizing this story. But make no mistake, it is not the WORD that McCoy can’t respect. The lack of respect is a result of his Cooper’s possible racism.

Many of the comments on here lack basic objectivity.

217. elegy56 says: Aug 6, 2013 11:03 AM

It’s real simple, everybody, including rappers, pro athletes, etc of all races quit using the word or don’t complain when somebody else uses it. The stupid word would have disappeared years ago had rap not used it 30x in a CD.