Browns hold Richardson out of practice with shin injury

Richardson AP

Browns running back Trent Richardson seems, at any given moment, to be trying to overcome an injury or waiting for his next one.

His next one came on Thursday.  According to coach Rob Chudzinski, Richardson suffered a shin injury during practice.

As a result, Richardson didn’t practice Friday.  Chudzinski downplayed the absence.

“It looks like yesterday he got kicked so we decided to hold him out,” Chudzinski said of Richardson, in quotes distributed by the team.  “He should be OK.  We feel good about it.  We are not worried about it.  It is part of the plan we have for him.  We will continue to keep him healthy and rested and get him ready for the season.”

Chudzinski said the injury happened to the same leg that created concerns in the offseason.

It’s smart that the Browns are being careful with Richardson.  But he plays a position that, once the games begin, isn’t conducive to being careful.  The player is going to get hit, and he needs to be sufficiently durable to not get hurt.  Or able to find a way to keep going if he is.

Richardson started 15 games last year, so he’s clearly willing to play through injury.  The key to maximizing his talents will be to find a way to avoid injury altogether.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Browns hold Richardson out of practice with shin injury”
  1. jacketsfan7 says: Aug 2, 2013 11:44 PM

This dude is like plastic with all these injuries

2. istateyourname says: Aug 3, 2013 12:04 AM

He’s a BEAST!!! His little shins are beasts!! It’s only training camp, yawn…I’m sure he will last a game or two when it really counts…

3. coonsqualler says: Aug 3, 2013 12:07 AM

jacketsfan7 says:
    Aug 2, 2013 11:44 PM
    This dude is like plastic with all these injuries

————————————————–

The dude played through 2 broken ribs last year! You couldn’t get out of bed to go to the restroom with 2 broken ribs! This is strictly just a precautionary measure. Get a clue!

Just Sayin’…Go Brownies!

4. shadowcell says: Aug 3, 2013 12:11 AM

Starting to think the Browns should’ve taken another good RB in the draft.

5. 619sdfan4life says: Aug 3, 2013 12:22 AM

There is no way he last the entire season. No way you can draft him for fantasy football. Unless you get him in the 2 or 3rd round. Guy is made of glass just like Ryan Collarbone Matthews. Had such high hopes for these guys. But they lack durability and where woman’s underwear.

6. dylanssongwriter says: Aug 3, 2013 12:27 AM

And this why you don’t pick running backs high in the draft.

7. aaroncurryisbust says: Aug 3, 2013 12:59 AM

The Browns deserve this for literally drafting an RB 3rd overall.

8. aaroncurryisbust says: Aug 3, 2013 12:59 AM

The Browns deserve this for literally drafting an RB 3rd overall.

9. apexvibe says: Aug 3, 2013 1:22 AM

Did he get hit in the shin with one of the orange things in the picture?

10. camdenyard says: Aug 3, 2013 1:30 AM

Glass-man

11. nfl4days says: Aug 3, 2013 2:08 AM

300 carries was it?

12. capbam says: Aug 3, 2013 2:53 AM

We’re treated him with the gloves of a nun and im ok with that.

13. ballboy48 says: Aug 3, 2013 3:23 AM

I wouldn’t question his toughness. He played 15 games, and most with cracked ribs. He also got me a ton of fantasy points. Getting hit in the shin hurts like a mother!

14. 4512dawg4512 says: Aug 3, 2013 6:40 AM

He’ll be fine. Good to know we have Hardesty as a back up…. no worries here

15. berniesboys says: Aug 3, 2013 8:36 AM

Ohio.com  > Sports  > Cleveland Browns  >
    Browns training camp notebook: Trent Richardson downplays another shin injury
    By Nate Ulrich
    Beacon Journal sports writer
    More Sharing Services

Published: August 2, 2013 – 10:58 PM | Updated: August 3, 2013 – 07:07 AM

Cleveland Browns running back Trent Richardson (left)\ talks to former team president Mike Holmgren during training camp at the team’s practice facility in Berea Friday. (AP Photo/David Richard)
    View Larger Version >>
    RELATED STORIES
    Emotions flow as seven new members of Pro Football Hall of Fame receive gold jackets
    Browns training camp: Wide receiver Jordan Norwood hopes to secure roster spot
    NFL notebook — Aug. 3
    ON THE WEB
    Browns training camp snapshot: RB Trent Richardson sidelined, former President Mike Holmgren visits

BEREA: Browns running back Trent Richardson sat out practice Friday after being kicked in his right shin the previous day, but he downplayed the severity of the injury and vowed not to miss a significant amount of time.

Richardson was sidelined during part of organized team activities in May and the team’s entire three-day mandatory minicamp in June with a strained muscle in the same shin.

Richardson said he would miss the team’s Family Night practice Saturday at FirstEnergy Stadium, though he insisted he expects to return to action Monday. Both Richardson and Browns coach Rob Chudzinski said Richardson would have played if the Browns had a game.

“Yeah, I got kicked, but football is football,” said Richardson, the third overall pick in last year’s draft. “Ain’t no kick going to stop me from running. I might get kicked two years from now, and I might have that same thing. It ain’t nothing to be worried about. Coach said it was already in the game plan for me to be scheduled to rest these next two days, I think, he said. But I’ll be back out here Monday, whenever he said I would be back.”

Richardson missed most of training camp and all four preseason games last year after undergoing surgery Aug. 9 to have a piece of loose cartilage removed from his left knee. However, he said he’s still on track to play in the Browns’ upcoming preseason games — the opener against the St. Louis Rams will be held Aug. 8 in Cleveland.

“I’m going to play in all of [the preseason games],” Richardson said. “Coach knows that if it was a preseason game tomorrow or today, I’d be playing in it. If we were playing in the hall of fame game right now, I’d be playing in the game. It doesn’t matter. I’m playing in every game this year. That’s my word, and that’s what I’m going to do. That’s my goal.”

Richardson, who played the majority of his rookie season with broken ribs, tried to convince Chudzinski to let him practice Friday.

“I was kind of upset and fighting with coach a little bit for me to practice,” Richardson said. “Ain’t nothing, but he was just resting me a little bit and saying I was running a lot and it’s August. So he explained it to me. It is what it is. I agree with everything coach [said]. I’m behind him 100 percent. So ain’t nothing wrong. I’ll be back out here when he lets me back out here.”

If you read the whole article it becomes clear that they are just resting him. The story should be titled “Chud continues to protect his #1 Weapon”.

16. sdakota says: Aug 3, 2013 9:29 AM

give it a rest. we all know you don’t like Richardson, with dozens of players held out of early training camp with minor bruises and injuries, you elect to single out one guy.we all know you didn’t like him getting picked early 1st round.you’re starting to sound like a record playing the same song over and over. too bad the song stinks

17. buffedwhiteman says: Aug 3, 2013 10:48 AM

Made of glass

Signed: Trent ‘injury prone’ Richardson

18. excessivedrinking says: Aug 3, 2013 12:29 PM

Browns fans are awesome. The team has sucked for so long, that they are consistently on the defense. Realistically, 6 and 10 will be a good year for them. Everyone, except for Browns fans, knows it.

19. larrydavid7000 says: Aug 3, 2013 12:40 PM

I will stay away from him come fantasy football and laugh out loud when someone picks him at 4 best RB then I’ll just draft a much better RB like Alfred Morris. LOL.

20. mackcarrington says: Aug 3, 2013 5:07 PM

Kicked in the shin…. But these guys bitch about having to wear pads.

21. kev86 says: Aug 4, 2013 10:01 AM

Hoping he slips to #9 in my draft.

22. vegasdogg says: Aug 4, 2013 10:15 AM

He is a stud RB. You don’t have to watch him every snap in practice to understand that concept. He gets a hangnail then you sit him. Come game 1 he will show you the beast. Without question. Get ready AFCN. Strap it up. The beast is coming.