Chip Kelly gives David Ball another shot at NFL

David Ball AP

Long before Chip Kelly made a name for himself as the head coach of the University of Oregon he was perfecting his craft as the offensive coordinator at the University of New Hampshire.

While coaching at the Division I-AA school, Kelly’s offensive ideas were already allowing players to shine. One of his star talents was receiver David Ball.

Ball broke Jerry Rice’s I-AA career touchdowns record with 58 and most games with 100 receiving yards with 27 during his time at New Hampshire. Despite the production, Ball went undrafted and was ultimately unable to carve out an NFL career in stops with the Chicago Bears and New York Jets.

Now that Kelly is in the NFL as head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles he reached out to Ball to see if he’d have any interest giving the NFL another go. According to Scott Cacciola of the New York Times, Ball packed up and headed for Philadelphia and another chance at making an NFL roster.

Ball had been working as a high school football coach in his home state of Vermont after four seasons playing in the Canadian Football League and arena league football. He hasn’t played since 2011.  But after the Eagles lost Jeremy Maclin for the season to a torn ACL, Ball got the call to give it one more shot.

“It doesn’t matter to me whether this is three days, three weeks, three months or three years,” Ball said. “This is my last stop, because this is where I’ve always wanted it to end.”

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
17 Responses to “Chip Kelly gives David Ball another shot at NFL”
  1. calvincoke says: Aug 2, 2013 1:33 AM

Follow me yall..trying to get going

2. bigblu73 says: Aug 2, 2013 2:31 AM

I smell a Riley replacement! I guess this guy would have to be good for atleast 46 catches over 3 seasons.

3. godofwine330 says: Aug 2, 2013 2:39 AM

I like hearing about stories like this, a coach giving one of his former players another shot that they are otherwise would not have gotten. here, here is your chance to do something with it. great job Chip Kelly

4. nothereanymore123 says: Aug 2, 2013 2:47 AM

I watched Ball play for four years at UNH and am happy to see he’s getting another opportunity, even if he’s way (way) down the depth chart. He was never a burner, but his hands and body control were second to none at the I-AA level.

The offense he ran with Chip Kelly and QB Ricky Santos was cutting edge and, after Kelly moved to Oregon, it was strangely awesome to watch a school in the national championship game and think, “Hey — that’s our offense!”

Lots of people in New England are pulling for Ball and for Kelly, who regularly visits UNH and clearly has not forgotten where he started. Best of luck to them both.

5. Sports King of this world says: Aug 2, 2013 4:27 AM

Good luck is all I can say. Simply because I have no idea who this guy is lol!

6. alonestartexan says: Aug 2, 2013 5:31 AM

Pretty strong message to guys like T.O. and Chad Johnson when a guy that’s been out of football for two years and was playing in the CFL gets a call before they do.

7. therealraider says: Aug 2, 2013 5:50 AM

it will end, on a nice note.

8. greenmeattruck says: Aug 2, 2013 6:15 AM

Call TO! I think he kinda needs some cash nowadays.

9. Indybear says: Aug 2, 2013 6:24 AM

Good for him. I’m always rooting for the underdog. Since the author doesn’t care to note it, he’s 29 and graduated from New Hampshire in 2007.

10. jbniner says: Aug 2, 2013 6:44 AM

Kid was a stud in HS and college. Vermont doesn’t produce many athletes and he’s easily the best player the state’s ever produced. Pretty cool for Kelly to give him one more go.

11. therealtrenches says: Aug 2, 2013 7:18 AM

They actually had ball signed earlier on the same day that Maclin went down.

They’re not likely thinking of him as much more than a flyer / TC body.

But that won’t stop redskins fans from saying that this is just like Spurrier bringing in Danny Weurffel.

12. rick1544 says: Aug 2, 2013 7:50 AM

I belive in you guys , raidernation the But as boss not so much! But as a raider yaaa!! I saw what you did for Dinver.ya!

13. gromgrimfist says: Aug 2, 2013 7:51 AM

good luck Ball wish you the best on your dreams of being an NFL player

14. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 2, 2013 8:13 AM

Nice story but this really indicates desperation for the Eagles.

15. mungman69 says: Aug 2, 2013 8:14 AM

The Eagles are gonna need some one to catch the ball once Cooper is gone.

16. youarejealousof6rings says: Aug 2, 2013 9:05 AM

Who?

17. rcali says: Aug 2, 2013 3:51 PM

I heard David said the “N” word once in his life.