Cooper getting a leave of absence from Eagles

Riley Cooper AP

After a wave of apologies for his racist remarks and press conferences and an attempt at a normal day’s work yesterday, the Eagles have decided to let wide receiver Riley Cooper take a break.

The team issued a statement staying he had been “excused him from all team activities” while he’s seeking counseling.

“The last few days have been incredibly difficult for me,” Cooper said in a statement provided by the team. “My actions were inexcusable. The more I think about what I did, the more disgusted I get. I keep trying to figure out how I could have said something so repulsive, and what I can do to make things better.

“Right now, I think it’s important for me to take some time to reflect on this situation. The organization and my teammates have been extremely supportive, but I also realize that there are people who will have a tough time forgiving me for what I’ve done. The best thing for me, and for the team, is to step away for a period of time.
“During this time I’m going to be speaking with a variety of professionals to help me better understand how I could have done something that was so offensive, and how I can start the healing process for everyone. As long as it takes, and whatever I have to do, I’m going to try to make this right.”
Allowing him to step away from the team also gives the Eagles a chance to sort out the best course of long-term action, while teammates decide amongst themselves whether he can be forgiven.
Permalink 249 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
249 Responses to “Cooper getting a leave of absence from Eagles”
  1. hoosiercolts says: Aug 2, 2013 12:28 PM

This has gotten beyond stupid.

2. justlntuckrule says: Aug 2, 2013 12:28 PM

Life long Eagles fan here. As of this moment (for this injustice, of ruining a man’s career for a simple mistake, for saying a dumb word which is said millions of times a day), I will shun the Eagles and their ‘offended’ players. I will no longer root for them, follow them, or have anything to do with them until every last ‘offended’ member of this team has moved on. When the team has been purged of these ‘offended’ players, I will once again become a fan. I can not in good conscience believe in any team or player that would ruin a man and his livelihood for something so stupid. What ever happened to being a ‘teammate’?

3. chief67 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:29 PM

What a joke !

4. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 2, 2013 12:30 PM

This has gotten beyond stupid.

If that hasn’t already been said.

5. brownoholic says: Aug 2, 2013 12:30 PM

Yep, it’s stupid, but I think his career may be as good as over…

6. buttfumbles says: Aug 2, 2013 12:30 PM

Eagles should just let this ride out until the next controversy on another NFL team happens next week.

7. mikelitoris1 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:30 PM

Hold on a second, did Riley Cooper use a racial slur?

8. patriotinvasion says: Aug 2, 2013 12:30 PM

It’s awkward for sure, but at the end of the day, it’s just a word. I think everyone needs to sit back and relax. Can’t stand the PC media hype-machine that makes events like this seem like the sky is falling and it’s the end of humanity as we know it. Smh.

9. filthymcnasty1 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:30 PM

justlntuckrule says: Aug 2, 2013 12:28 PM

**********************************************

Respect earned.

10. wewantmoretebowandfavrearticles says: Aug 2, 2013 12:31 PM

This is a joke. There are no mental disorders associated with racism. Seeking counseling? Give him his sensitivity training and get him back on the field. He said a word. Counseling for drunk anger issues, okay. But counseling because of a word that came out of his mouth? Political correctness run-a muck. Yes, what he did was wrong, but this attempt at PR by Cooper and the Eagles is pathetic.

11. mrshill0905 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:31 PM

YAY!!!! All the Riley Cooper supporters…Go to the NY Giants!!! We don’t need you either!!!!!!

12. bucrightoff says: Aug 2, 2013 12:31 PM

This guy should be very grateful Jeremy Maclin got hurt. I’m sure they would have preferred to cut him instead of the leave of absence, because the distraction is going nowhere.

13. therealtrenches says: Aug 2, 2013 12:31 PM

If you saw the interview footage of him after practice it was just a shame: microphones in his face, rabid reporters, and he was just spent…a total wreck. He said he hadn’t slept or eaten. He was clearly shaken by the whole thing.

I don’t condone racial epithets, but the witch hunt aspect of this whole episode is crazy.

Enough is enough.

14. heeeeelzfan says: Aug 2, 2013 12:32 PM

Leave of absence=”Don’t let the door hit you in the…”

15. theslex says: Aug 2, 2013 12:32 PM

Whatever happened to keepin’ it real?

16. kd727 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:32 PM

Oh my goodness that is hilarious. Counseling? COUNSELING? To learn what?

I would love to sit in on that. “Saying racial slurs are bad, mmkay? You shouldn’t do that, mmkay?”

Btw, where is Roddy White’s counseling for telling jurors to kill themselves after the Martin verdict? That’s certainly more deserving of counseling than this incident, no?

17. humpofdc says: Aug 2, 2013 12:32 PM

Nobody should use the word…Black or White!!

18. skarfacci says: Aug 2, 2013 12:32 PM

This is a joke. I wonder how many of these ‘tolerant’ guys used a slur. Be it against or as joke. The victim culture in full effect. Get over it and be men. This is the reaction of mindless juveniles.

19. mrhornitos says: Aug 2, 2013 12:32 PM

GAMEDAY BUCKET GO BOOM

20. changsteinelgamal says: Aug 2, 2013 12:32 PM

Now he’s just being a drama queen.

21. howiefeltersnatch says: Aug 2, 2013 12:33 PM

It’s your fault he’s taking the leave of absence. You have blown this way out of proportion and you are really doing your best to shape public opinion and get this guy railroaded.

Instead of ruining this guys life, how about we begin an honest, open discussion about race and the continued use of the word in question.

22. pathsovglory says: Aug 2, 2013 12:33 PM

bunch of “holier-than-thou” hypocrites…

23. raybguilty says: Aug 2, 2013 12:33 PM

Actions speak louder than words – depending on
    the words apparently

24. westampa says: Aug 2, 2013 12:33 PM

Maybe when he gets done meeting with the school guidance counselor he can get a sticker and return back to the Friday pizza party with the rest of his classmates.

25. dwats says: Aug 2, 2013 12:33 PM

at least he didnt call him a redskin

26. milehigh53 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:33 PM

Dumbest thing he can do is run away from the problem.

27. puhleezho says: Aug 2, 2013 12:34 PM

he may want to quit anyway. I’m guessing he is going to be the target of some vicious hits this season if he plays. 90% of the league is black.

28. volcom2143 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:34 PM

I’m not condoning racism but if you hear it 26865 times a day in the locker room , it probably loses its meaning . I feel a double standard here . Yes it Was wrong but African Americans overuse it to the point that I don’t see how they can justifiably offended anymore . Look in the mirror .

29. axespray says: Aug 2, 2013 12:34 PM

He was probably gonna get the Julius Caesar treatment – Vick and his boys were gonna straight up “Oz” him …. or not, idk.

30. staff2cj says: Aug 2, 2013 12:34 PM

I can’t believe people are justifying this guy’s calculated racial slur!!! What would be the reason for even saying it? Yes, I’m sure others are guilty for saying it; however, there’s a time and a place. I’d have no problem if he said it in the confines of his home (where only he and his family heard it)but this idiot said it in public. That’s a big difference

31. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Aug 2, 2013 12:34 PM

He said a bad word while he was drunk and angry. He’s said and done all the right things since this thing came out. Does he really need counseling, a leave of absence, and the stigma of being the most hated man in America?

32. cardinalsfan87 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:35 PM

If it was the other way around and a black guy was racist against a white guy (James Harrison and roger goddell) nothing would happen

33. r8drn8tn says: Aug 2, 2013 12:35 PM

For all of you claiming a double standard just stop. If Riley Cooper was caught on camera using the word as an endearing term for example, This is my n*gga and I love this n*gga. He would not be taking any heat.

This is much more analogous to the black guy from 1st Take calling RG3 a corn ball and getting fired. He used it in a hateful manner to put down a race. Same thing.

34. andyreidisthegoat says: Aug 2, 2013 12:35 PM

Should be gone. Anyone of us says this in such a public mannet and our work finds out about it . No way we are coming back to that job. Think about that.

35. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Aug 2, 2013 12:35 PM

The bigger deal this becomes, the more likely Cooper is going to have to fear for his life, like George Zimmerman.

36. pittsburghfan71 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:35 PM

They are blowing this out of proportion. But it does remind me of the Wheel of Fortune episode of South Park

37. 49erstim says: Aug 2, 2013 12:35 PM

The dude got drunk and spouted some nonsense. He was probably doing that to pi$$ the guy off that he was yelling at. Was it wrong. Yep. Should he be facing this persecution? Nope. It’s time to grow up folks. We gave this word power and now we must take it away.

38. chiadam says: Aug 2, 2013 12:35 PM

He should be released just for going to see a Kenny Chesney concert.

39. bgibson8708 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:35 PM

This is outrageous. He said an offensive word. I drop a few offensive words every day, who cares. He should just say he can’t respect a woman beater like Lesean McCoy. Even Mike Vick can be rational about this, move on. I hope the next player to get a DUI gets special training and a leave of absence, that’s a far worse offense.

40. green41563 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:36 PM

Give me a break. Everyone has a right to be a jerk— even Riley Cooper.

Tolerance means tolerance of *all* opinions, even those that are, themselves, intolerant. Otherwise, you’re not promoting tolerance; you’re promoting the creations of a single point of view to which everyone must subscribe or be fired, ostracized, etc.

41. eagleswin says: Aug 2, 2013 12:36 PM

And yet 2 black players who :

1) Told 6 non black women to go kill themselves
    2) Told a Hispanic (sorry white-hispanic, whatever that is) man that he’d be dead within a year.

are not held accountable by the league or their teams or teammates for their comments.

I didn’t see Roddy White or Victor Cruz apologizing to every white or hispanic player in the league. They also tweeted their comments to the world deliberatly not surreptiously videotaped while drunk at a concert.

The only apology was from their PR staff after they realized that the comments might cost them money down the line. There were no fines, no quotes from teammates saying they don’t respect them or that they were appalled by their behavior.

So why do 2 players of color get passes for advocating murder of people of different races yet a Caucasian man get endlessly blasted over a drunken comment that is not as bad as advocating that people die?

When are Roddy White and Victor Cruz going to get “leave of absences” for their racially motivated tweets advocating murder?

42. leo133074 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:36 PM

All because of a word.

43. texansdude says: Aug 2, 2013 12:37 PM

Let’s just execute him.

Think that’s stupid? Did you read the story above?

44. localoutlaw says: Aug 2, 2013 12:37 PM

He’s not such a tough guy now…

45. trebla72 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:38 PM

@justlntuckrule Your stance is laughable. Tell me, did the “offended” players not throw him the ball? Did they not block for him? So how are they ruining his career? How are they ruining HIS livelihood? From what I’ve read, he’s being shunned. Good.

46. ravensmike410 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:38 PM

Is it really necessary to seek professional help for something like this? I think it’s a bit of overkill. I won’t excuse his behavior in any way. But, I am curious as to how many times per practice this word is said amongst those who are offended. How about the locker room? Twitter? I’m a bi-racial man whose father is Black, and I understand the problem with what he said. But, we need to quit with the double standard about a word that is so divisive.

47. redjorgy says: Aug 2, 2013 12:38 PM

This is ridiculous. Here’s a pro tip for you. If you don’t allow the word to offend you, you’ve removed all power from it. As it stands, white people have a word at their disposal that can ruin your day. Why not take that away?

Is the power of crying victim really that sweet? Instead of holding on to that, why not remove the power from the word? You can call me anything you want and guess what? I don’t care. Any demeaning word you use in my direction is completely useless.

48. itsmammoth says: Aug 2, 2013 12:38 PM

Glad I’m not famous…

I can’t imagine how many times I’d have to be admitted for saying dumb things while drunk. lol.

This is a joke. If you only knew how many kids that aren’t black casually use that word because of the music today… pretty much all of them.

49. dlux36 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:38 PM

Text book example of how the news media and social media can ruin a career. We create it…and it is waaaaaay out of control.

50. rundmc81 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:38 PM

Where was Adrian Peterson’s counseling when he said NFL players were slaves? Isnt that offensive to the team owners? Would that make Jerry Jones and Dan Rooney slave owners? This is getting rediculous.

51. earvinmagicjackson says: Aug 2, 2013 12:39 PM

1.””The team issued a statement staying he had been “excused him from all team activities”…”

Quality writing.

2. You really need to consult a “variety of professionals” to stop doing something stupid?

3. “…take some time to reflect on this situation…” (i.e, avoid being assaulted).

52. srg608 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:39 PM

Anyone who doesn’t realize that this has gotten way out of hand needs to talk to some professionals too! It’s ridiculous! A drunk guy says an offensive word (and I understand it’s significance), but it was just a word. He didn’t do drugs, cause anyone to be injured, hurt anyone, kill anyone, make it rain, cause anyone to be in a wheel chair for the rest of their life or rape anyone – it was just a word a word. Offensive yes! But getting as much coverage as Hernandez and wanting to run the guy out of the league? For a word? This is way out of control…….

53. buffedwhiteman says: Aug 2, 2013 12:39 PM

Boycott the eagles !

54. nebster21 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:39 PM

maybe they should send Cooper to Jail. He did of course use the N word. Then banish him from the NFL for LIFE. Actually maybe if we are lucky when he is in jail he will be put on death row for saying the N word.

55. yousuxxors says: Aug 2, 2013 12:39 PM

I’m sure those black players never say anything about white people.

56. thankheavenfornumber14 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:39 PM

Let me get thios straight certain Players can say anything about some races yet others can’t ?
    Hello George Orwell
    Some Football Players (and their ethnicity) are more equal than others
    But in Philadelphia is anything else expected

57. inallsincerity says: Aug 2, 2013 12:39 PM

Having said that, my mother is 88 year’s young, from the South and she explained to me the origin’s of the N-word. You have the word Negro, which in Spanish means Black and the river Niger in Afrika, an area where many slaves came from. Poor whites in the South couldn’t enunciate these words correctly, hence the N-word was derived and the rest is history.
    Once I understood this, it’s hard for me to be offended by this word. In my honest opinion, if whites want to continue to perpetuate their ancestor’s ignorance, so be it…

58. ravenallday says: Aug 2, 2013 12:40 PM

It is a joke because he is not sorry for what he said. Doesn’t really matter though, so play football.

59. ramitbaby says: Aug 2, 2013 12:40 PM

Come to the Rams, Cooper. While it’s true we’ve come to a point where you think using the N word is beyond us, I will also contend we’ve come to a point where no word in the English language should even matter to us anymore if it’s spoken or not.

Sincerely,

A wetback beaner without car insurance.

60. raiderlyfe510 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:40 PM

The only clear solution here is to send him to the Patriots. He’ll feel right at home there. That squad is about as culturally diverse as the 80′s Celtics.

61. jbeagles23 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:40 PM

I would hope every hip hop artist saying it will take a leave from their record labels

62. timothyinbrazil says: Aug 2, 2013 12:41 PM

It is not the fact that he said it that is causing all the problems so much as it being shown and talked about like the man has just done something terrible. If he has, it has gotten overblown. There was someone that said “this is beyond words how bad this is…” How can something be beyond words when it was words that was the problem here? Did he kill someone, did he hurt someone, did he steal from someone, did he make someone’s life (other than his own) worse after he said what he did than what it was before?

This issue shows the wound of the USA, the culture that is in serious trouble, and how people are not really thinking in the media (and in general) but going in to graves to beat the bones of horses. Words have power. Words will be judged. Take the man’s request for forgiveness and may our own tongues and lips speak truth, what is right, what is necessary.

Get to the root of this or it will never be solved!

63. jint77 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:41 PM

Riley Cooper supporters, please stop.

You are fighting a loosing battle.

64. patrickwins says: Aug 2, 2013 12:41 PM

UNBELIEVABLE !!!

Maybe I’m missing something but the Man apologized, feels remorse, apologized again, feels more remorse, and now is forced to leave the team. What is wrong with this country????

The “N” word is repulsive and should never be uttered again by “ANYONE” anywhere but to ruin a man’s career and ability to earn his living is wrong and should not be tolerated. How many times does he need to apologize??

65. chillyball says: Aug 2, 2013 12:41 PM

Meanwhile, Andy Reid has decided he is very happy with KC Bar-B-Q instead of cheesesteakes.

Denny Green laugh (heh heh heh heh)

Aaron Rodgers is an egomaniac.

66. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 2, 2013 12:41 PM

Sticks and stones may break his bones, but a word will sideline him forever.

67. aa1829 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:42 PM

Please. Political correctness taken to an absolutely absurd extreme. A mans life and career ruined for nothing. He made a mistake, who hasn’t but he didn’t kill anyone, commit a chargeable crime, beat his girlfriend, or cheat by taking a banned substance. I would like to know what happened that made him willing to take on an entire crowed. These people must have done something worse, but they always get a pass, don’t they. Justintuckrule, good for you.

68. eagles92 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:42 PM

Not gonna lie this has gone too far. If the eagles end up releasing him it’s gonna be hard to root for a team that gave a second chance to someone who tortured animals but not to a man who said a word. Don’t get me wrong since day one I was all for giving Mike Vick another chance cause I truly believe people make mistakes and should be forgiven. But if the eagles choose to not extend that something to Cooper it will be hard for to justify being an Eagles fan.

69. posmoo says: Aug 2, 2013 12:43 PM

Player uses slurs to in a malicious attempt to denigrate a group that is bound together by unlaterable characteristics they were born with (gays, whites) and the NFL gives a collective sigh of *meh*.
    Player uses slurs to in a malicious attempt to denigrate a group that is bound together by unalterable characteristics they were born with (blacks) and the world stops revolving.

People wouldn’t have such a difficult time buying into the PC doctine if it was so patently clear to them that under this new regime some peoples feelings are clearly worth more and are more deserving of protection than others.

70. h1ndrix says: Aug 2, 2013 12:43 PM

This is ridicuous. Counseling? And yet Desean Jackson can release his idiotic song promoting violence and drug use to his young fans and nobody cares. This country is turning into an episode of the Simpsons.

71. phinmaster says: Aug 2, 2013 12:43 PM

I hope he never sets foot in that locker room ever again. Coaches teach brotherhood and family at team meetings on every level. Chip Kelly cannot continue to teach that with a low life like Riley cooper around.

72. bluefunk72 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:43 PM

He isn’t sorry for saying it, he is sorry for getting caught! And for anyone that supports Cooper, I guarantee you had he used an anti-gay slur, he would’ve been released on the spot!

73. fdugrad says: Aug 2, 2013 12:44 PM

Oh, “leave of absence” is the euphemism being used at this juncture is it?! I suppose in its furthest sense, “fired” is a type of “leave of absence.”

74. turdfurgerson68 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:44 PM

He’s reaping what he sown. I don’t feel bad for him at all. His teammates are offended and rightly so.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

75. mclovin07 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:44 PM

Give the guy a break. He apologized, and unlike most apologies these guys are known to give, sounded sincere. He messed up.

Eagles are not supporting him and should be. If Vick can be forgiven, then Riley sure as heck should as well…

76. santamoss says: Aug 2, 2013 12:45 PM

this is ridiculous. He was in a fight with these guys, don’t you normally call people you are fighting with the worst names you can think of? Of course that doesn’t make it right, but it’s not like he was asked his opinion on black people and used the word, and it’s not like he’s Paula Deen with a history of poor racial behavior.

He got fined, said he was sorry, and he will rightfully have to deal with the fallout from teammates who may be mad at him. Isn’t that enough? Mental evaluation, sheesh.

77. goodellisruiningtheleague says: Aug 2, 2013 12:45 PM

Imagine if Jay-z or Kanye had to seek counseling every time they used the same word… Their careers would have been over before they started.

78. seahawks4alltime says: Aug 2, 2013 12:45 PM

I guarantee that the N-word is used in practices and games by members of every team. It is very common for you black men to say it. It is actually pretty common for white friends of young black men to say it to their black friends.

The uttering of “the most offensive racial slur” is a common occurrence among high quality and lower quality players across the NFL, yet this guy says it at a country music concert while drunk and in front of a camera phone and now he’s being crucified in the media…

Crucify everyone who says it, or crucify no one.

79. rexryanstoecheese says: Aug 2, 2013 12:45 PM

Racism is a 2-way street.
    You have the racist being racist and you have the target of said racism being offended by the racist.

Both sides must change in order to improve upon the issue

80. Kaz says: Aug 2, 2013 12:45 PM

While I’m annoyed that white people constantly fight to be able to use the word (without recognition of how their parents/grandparents used it in the past and what it meant when they used it) everytime the topic comes up, I was fine with the initial punishment he received. The whole situation has gotten out of hand.

81. jh500 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:45 PM

Smartest thing to do is to release this bum. Cooper is a dead man the moment he steps on a football field to play.

82. peytonsneck18 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:46 PM

come to the hood brah, we will give u a leave of absence for the rest of yr life!!!! i bet everybody on here that are defending him and saying it was just a “word” never gotten racially steroetyped or never grew up hearing negative racially motivated words against yourself, as a kid ive heard it all, cant say it on here, yeah rAPPERS AND COMEDIANS SHOULDNT USE IT but quit saying why isnt it a double standard, watch ROOTS and you will see

83. tovipapi says: Aug 2, 2013 12:46 PM

I am truly disgusted in the way that this guy is being treated!!! I don’t condone what he said in any way, but to basically ruin his career is inexcusable. His teammates should come to his defense, but they don’t. A couple of weeks ago Victor Cruz basically called for the MURDER of George Zimmerman, nobody said a thing. Pathetic.

84. hollywood26 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:47 PM

People on here amaze me. It may be “just a word” to you but for a good period of our hist0ry it was much more. It was such a horrendous word that some people attempted to adapt the word and give it a new context. I don’t believe in using it but some do, acknowledged. It’s in rap songs, ok. You think all blacks listen to rap? You think what you see on tv is ALL we are? So if I see a white person singing country should I assume all whites love country? All whites are klan members? I hear people making all these generalizations and rationalizations and it just saddens me. I hear white people calling each other the N word.

At the end of the day it’s not the word so much that I think most have an issue with however you slice it. I do think though that the animus that it was used is what sets it apart.

85. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 2, 2013 12:47 PM

Riley was suspended for Drinking and Denigrating.

86. icontutu says: Aug 2, 2013 12:48 PM

I’m not a racist and generally speaking, “I wouldn’t submit to a conversation of this nature, but let’s get real!” Hell, “I’m not even a fan of Riley Cooper,” but enough is enough. Growing up in Phila. while being exposed to racial slurs from both sides, “The worst word that can ever be stated?” Rediculas! Opportunist know how to use momentum, sadly there are those that are doing just that. “Let it go!”
    Icon

87. reesesteel23 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:48 PM

As dumb as it is that its gone this far… its just as dumb not to be a fan of the team any longer…

88. sarcasticks says: Aug 2, 2013 12:48 PM

Its all about intent. When a white person uses the N word, its usually meant as an insult. When a black person uses it, its usually meant as a friendly dig, like calling a tall person shorty. Its a horrible word that should never be used, but simply because it is used by multiple ethnicities in various situations doesn’t excuse those whom have used it with bad intentions.

89. fanofthepurple says: Aug 2, 2013 12:48 PM

He has acknowledged his error and is remorseful. Let those without sin be the first to take away this man’s livelihood. Prime example of two wrongs not making a right.

90. twoconeys says: Aug 2, 2013 12:49 PM

thanks for takin the HEAT off of me……….~George Z

91. simontemplar80 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:49 PM

Riley’s career is in the pooper.

92. dyloacu71 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:49 PM

Whenever an athlete of color gets into trouble, there are nothing but demeaning comments presuming guilt and mocking that person. (Look on any post involving a black athletes arrest.)

Yet this coward clearly meant to offend the gentleman in the video and he is being sheltered by the white community. Talk about about a double standard.

Women call each other the B word often. But im smart enough to know I cannot go around calling every woman that without consequence. Fire this guy so we can move on.

93. bucrightoff says: Aug 2, 2013 12:49 PM

To the holier than thou Eagles fan who won’t watch again till Riley is forgiven or whatever:

Did you watch when Mike Vick was leading them to the playoffs? I bet you did cause that was a playoff team

Not watching this team? A team that might be headed for 4-12? No kudos for that. Also don’t start watching if they become a good team, which you undoubtably will.

94. blacknole08 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:50 PM

Unbelievable. Listen to what this man is saying. Right now he is his harshest critic. He is making the decision to remove himself from team activities. Not the league, not the team, but HE made that decision.

He is clearly sorry and for him to take that extra step to do some soul searching he should be applauded for that. Its amazing that he says one word and he gets crucified. A guy like Josh Brent kills his friend and he is on the freaking sideline a few days later. Players are still employed after DUIs, murders/manslaughters, beating up women…. they make an apology and everyone moves on.

So why in the world cant we move on from this? This man has asked for forgiveness and he is taking the steps to better himself. Give him a chance for redemption!!

95. eleventyeight says: Aug 2, 2013 12:50 PM

So will every black player who uses that word or calls some white people “crackas” be treated the same way now?

If not…lawsuit!!!

imho…

96. essentialsausage says: Aug 2, 2013 12:50 PM

Counseling for saying the n-word? This is absurd.

97. jwil444 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:51 PM

So, I’ve been on vacation and missed this, who is it her murdered anyways? And, how did he do it? He was drunk and ran over someone? Oh, nobody died? Oh, nobody was even hurt? Oh, he wasn’t arrested?

Meanwhile we have players using illegal drugs, a teammate who killed dogs, and domestic abuse on a regular occurance….but hey let’s crucify this guy to the 10th degree.

98. skinsfan91 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:51 PM

He screwed up. But after a man has admitted wrongdoing, is that man not worthy of another chance? Are there not more heinous crimes than a foolish word in the heat of passion with alcohol on your breath?

99. bigalhebdman says: Aug 2, 2013 12:51 PM

Come on back Riley. Vick forgave you and he is the leader of the Eagles. What is the problem?

100. raoool says: Aug 2, 2013 12:51 PM

beyond stupid doesn’t say it. the whining hypocrites love their bruh who had a weak moment and killed someone. or beat their wife. or drove 120mph drunk. but a friggin word?!

gimme a break.

101. jamezz23 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:52 PM

Why is everyone so sensitive now days?

102. rdrs68 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:52 PM

What does “seeking counseling” mean? this whole thing has gotten way out of hand with everyone trying cover all the politically correct bases.

103. glenne81 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:53 PM

Let me see if I’ve got this straight? He has to leave the team for using the very same word that Kanye West spits out about a 100 times in the first ten minutes of one of his concerts?

104. natlbnkilr says: Aug 2, 2013 12:54 PM

I think it’s time for everyone to put on their big boy pants and get over it. When was the last time the “offended” teammates last used that word to address one of their buddies?… Or better yet, stopped listening to a rap artist because he/she uses it every other word in a song? Shut the hell up and get over it already!

105. daubs17 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:54 PM

this is so far beyond beating a dead horse. he said something he shouldnt have, he obviously sincerely apologized but idiots like lesean mccoy and the media have to drum it up and cant let it go. here mike vick was torturing and killing animals and this is what is now being set as the standard of bad and risking career end? Yeah ok…

106. jagsfan1 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:55 PM

He should just move to LA and get it over with

107. trollaikman8 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:56 PM

This is now officially Beyond Stupid™

108. Kaz says: Aug 2, 2013 12:56 PM

santamoss says:
    Aug 2, 2013 12:45 PM
    this is ridiculous. He was in a fight with these guys, don’t you normally call people you are fighting with the worst names you can think of? ______

Actually the guy was just a security guard doing his job.

109. neilpountney says: Aug 2, 2013 12:56 PM

+++++++++++++++++++++++

You obviously did not get the memo, its totally okay for Black athletes to say inappropriate things!

110. freepretzels says: Aug 2, 2013 12:57 PM

I love white people explaining to me why saying this word isn’t a big deal, and this is an overreaction or PC.

111. jcaro5566 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:57 PM

Someone ought to ask Shady what is worse, calling someone a bad name or actually inhumanely killing animals?

112. jimmysee says: Aug 2, 2013 12:57 PM

Dude needs to say it was the “alcohol talking” — admit he has a “problem” — take the “Hollywood Cure” (30 days of therapy at Betty Ford) — and pronounce himself mended.

That’s the way they do it out here on the left coast.

113. fanfair says: Aug 2, 2013 12:57 PM

Words have vary context based on how they are used and when. There is a major difference in how the word is used among varying groups. Does anyone in their right mind believe that Riley Cooper used the term in a reference of friendship as African Americans tend to use it? Of course not. He meant the word as a racial slur. And that’s the difference. It doesn’t matter how often you hear the word used because that’s not an excuse. It’s obvious from many of the comments that a certain group of people want to be able to use the term in its racist connotation without repercussion. That’s never going to happen. And instead of concentrating on the fact that Blacks use the word among themselves, you should be asking yourselves why you feel the need to say it….and why you’re so upset that you can’t.

114. Spencer says: Aug 2, 2013 12:58 PM

So many white conservatives showing their anger at not being able to use racial slurs with impunity. Get over it. Good riddance, Cooper!

115. puntonfirstdown says: Aug 2, 2013 12:58 PM

Any non-African-American human who says they have not said or thought the word in their lifetime is a liar. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

116. pittsburghfan71 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:58 PM

jh500 says:
    Aug 2, 2013 12:45 PM

_____________

Nobody is going to go out of their way to get back at him for calling a security guard a name. 15 yard penalty isn’t worth it. And if he does have the ball they are going to hit him as hard as they hit any ball carrier.

117. simontemplar80 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:58 PM

Why would his teammates come to his defense? The guy’s prolly a closet racist on a team full of black guys.

118. teambringitstrong says: Aug 2, 2013 12:58 PM

justlntuckrule says: Aug 2, 2013 12:28 PM

————————————————————
    Simple mistake huh? I guess making a threat of physical violence and using a racial slur is a simple mistake to you huh? You might want to review the definition of a hate crime.

119. eatitfanboy says: Aug 2, 2013 12:59 PM

Therapist: So, Riley, why did you say that word?

Riley: Because I was drunk and I was really angry at that black security guard and I come from Oklahoma where I grew up hearing that all the time.

Therapist: Thing you’re ever going to say it again?

Riley: Nope.

Therapist: Okey dokey. I’ll go ahead and bill the Eagles $5k for this session. Just to be safe, I think you should come back for the next 10 weeks.

120. texansdude says: Aug 2, 2013 12:59 PM

I am wondering what would happen if he’d just kept his mouth shut and beat the holy heck out of these guys. I’m thinking he’d be in less trouble for causing bodily harm than uttering an inarguably stupid word.

121. ridingwithnohandlebars says: Aug 2, 2013 1:00 PM

What he said was horrible and he should be disciplined, but this is going way too far. He deserves the opportunity, like anybody, to learn from this and make himself better.

122. noring4youstill says: Aug 2, 2013 1:00 PM

Should have just killed a bunch of dogs

123. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 2, 2013 1:01 PM

Derogatory Drunk In Doghouse!

124. phishan says: Aug 2, 2013 1:02 PM

How many black football players have said anti-gay stuff then apologized? None of them took this much abuse? They never had to leave there team to get counseling.. What a joke this whole situation is.. Nice job Media..

125. filthymcnasty1 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:03 PM

dyloacu71 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:49 PM

Women call each other the B word often.

**************************************************

Not in my neighborhood. Perhaps your neighborhood has some bigger problems.

126. eagles512 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:03 PM

This is absolutely ridiculous!!! The media is out of control.

127. Youknowimright says: Aug 2, 2013 1:03 PM

For his own safety he should never play again. Somebody is going to light this guy up on the field. I cannot see him making it through this season. a head shot over the middle would be well deserved. Let him play and let the league police this situation.

128. cardinalsfan87 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:04 PM

Wasn’t James Harrison’s comments against Godell racist? What happened to him? Absolutely nothing

129. edisbetterthantroy says: Aug 2, 2013 1:04 PM

What about every time Lil Wayne uses the same language? Does that draw media attention or will he banished from the public eye? Doubtful….

130. bgarrityirb says: Aug 2, 2013 1:05 PM

Look, i knew the guy from high school. Is he a jerk? Yea from my experiences. Is he a racist? I don’t believe so. People say stupid things when they are drunk, its not an excuse for what he did, but his career should not be ruined for it. Heck his teammate was in jail for 2 years for brutally killing dogs and he still has a career. Wheres the uproar for cruz and white basically calling for “the hood” to catch up with zimmerman? Fine him, have a discussion about race relations in the nfl, but dont railroad the guy for a word. If we’re gonna do that then we need to kick out the guys who are assaulting people getting dui’s etc. those can hurt an even kill people. The only hurt he caused is emotional.

131. filthymcnasty1 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:05 PM

sarcasticks says: Aug 2, 2013 12:48 PM

************************************************

That’s a racist interpretation.

132. tombstone7 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:05 PM

Don’t blame the media or the Eagles for Cooper’s actions. Cooper is a grown-ass man and a quality player, but it is what it is!

For those of you who think this is about political correctness, WRONG!!!!!!

It has more to do with the reinforcement of a term that Blacks and the ancestors were people who marginalized, under-valued and culturally condition to believe that this N-word was to further the belief by some whites as being nothing more than an animal.

Face it, he screwed up and as I have said before, but for the camera-phone catching this and having go viral, we would be talking about something all together different.

Words do hurt! If you think not, ask Cooper about his next endorsement deal that just flew out of the window.

133. fanfair says: Aug 2, 2013 1:06 PM

Why is it that when it comes to this one particular word that people ignore context? Your buddies can probably get away with calling you all kinds of offensive names because they are your friends and you know they love you and don’t mean you harm. But if a stranger called you those same names, especially those that have a history of meaning you harm, those names take on a different meaning because of the context. You would be ready to fight. So why is everyone pleading ignorance when it comes to this? It’s not that you don’t understand, you just don’t want to understand. You’re going to have to get over it and understand that there are certain words that are caustic when certain groups use the word and that it doesn’t matter if black people say it. It doesn’t mean that you can say it.

134. @HowdyDoobie says: Aug 2, 2013 1:06 PM

I think it is more about getting treatment for his binge drinking. His own teammate said that he can be a hot mess when he drinks. It’s not just about what he said, it’s what lead to it that seems to be the biggest problem.

135. ijahru says: Aug 2, 2013 1:06 PM

Mike Vick sadistically slaughtered dogs and ran an interstate gambling ring and the league and the Eagles bent over backwards to get him back in the league with open arms. Cooper makes a bad comment while drunk and they want to crucify him? I am waiting to see what the punishment will be if a black man gets caught on tape using that word.

136. nomoreseasontix says: Aug 2, 2013 1:07 PM

I can’t help but wonder how many derogatory names for “white guy” he’s been called by his black teammates over the last couple of days.
    Hope it doesn’t end up on YouTube.

137. nineroutsider says: Aug 2, 2013 1:07 PM

@justlntuckrule says: Aug 2, 2013 12:28 PM

——————————————————–
    So you want an all white Eagles team, a team filled with guys like you. LOL…0-16 forever…would love to see it happen.

138. perfect1972 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:07 PM

Does it even matter?

I hear black folks use the word indiscriminately all day and all night every day and every night.

He’s a white country boy. He grew up saying that word. He swears he has never used it in his life. Yeah, right.

This is beyond stupid. Michael Vick executed dogs for sport and says that word at times but it’s ok, right?

139. mossyroad says: Aug 2, 2013 1:08 PM

People wanting the team to “just get over it already” will soon get their wish. When he is off the team, they will get over it, and hopefully you guys will be satisfied.

This guy is just way too scrub and has caused way too big of a distraction to keep around. We’re talking about Anthony Weiner, not Bill Clinton. He’s gotta go.

140. peytonsneck18 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:09 PM

athlete of COLOR??? thats a racist statement, hey 1960 is calling u back

141. dcviking says: Aug 2, 2013 1:10 PM

dyloacu71 says: Aug 2, 2013 12:49 PM

————————

How is he being sheltered by the “white community” — I think most people (regardless of race) agree that what he said was unacceptable.

However, if you apply the rules of a typical workplace (because you want him to be fired) — then nobody (black, white, green, orange, etc.) can use that word or any derogatory term related to race, sex, religion, or nationality. There is no exception for anyone — regardless of whether they fall into category of the word they are using.

If you want to apply that rule, just make sure it gets applied to everyone all the time.

What’s more fair than that?

142. fanfair says: Aug 2, 2013 1:11 PM

Why are people bringing up Mike Vick? Vick lost his freedom and paid for his crime. No one is accusing Cooper of a crime, so how does anyone even attempt to compare the two? Some of you guys are showing your ignorance is a glaring and appalling way.

143. nflpoker says: Aug 2, 2013 1:11 PM

We know what an LOA means. When he gets to training camp, they will tell him to have a nice life and give him his pink slip.

144. jetsoptimist says: Aug 2, 2013 1:11 PM

If you’re not black/African American how can you tell somebody how to feel about a racial slur like Cooper said? He’s a racist and should be punished for what he said. If he stays on the team he’ll get what’s coming to him. He will get a cheap shot prob in pract, let alone the games! I despise racism, but I also acknowledge most ppl are racist. Him being a pro football player and a racist just confirms that racism is alive, unfortunately!

145. isithockeyseasonyet says: Aug 2, 2013 1:12 PM

@teambringitstrong, exactly! This guy is one of those idiots who compares this situation to the zimmerman trial. I’m glad he’s no longer an eagles fan, one less moron never hurt any fanbase

146. spharrgcs says: Aug 2, 2013 1:13 PM

Any form of racism is usually born from 2 things – ignorance or hatred, or both. The former is usually easier to address than the latter. Cooper has a long road of rehabilitation in front of him, both personally and professionally. If nothing else good comes from it, let’s hope it helps others who harbor this kind of thoughts re-evaluate how they look at their fellow human beings.

147. dolphins4 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:14 PM

If this would have happened in any other city other than Philadelphia this would be a non issue.But only in Philadelphia with it’s negative media will guys like John Gonzalez ride this and make it far far worse than it really is.This is why it is so hard for a pro sports team to win in Philadelphia.

148. cowpiesnotcowboys says: Aug 2, 2013 1:14 PM

Cooper’s right — his actions were inexcusable, deplorable, and repulsive. There is no excuse for attending a Kenny Chesney concert. He should be fired.

149. eagleswin says: Aug 2, 2013 1:15 PM

phinmaster says:
    Aug 2, 2013 12:43 PM

———————————–

So you also think Roddy White and Victor Cruz never set foot in a lockerroom for advocate murder of non-black people?

What about wife beaters? Are they good for team building? Is killing dogs good for team building? What’s your stance on alleged rapists?

150. paulz624 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:16 PM

Is everybody happy now? Let the big tough black wanna be tough guys keep using it in the locker room and make sure you act all feminine and hurt when someone else uses it, you hypocrites!

151. kingjoe1 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:17 PM

I respect the fact taht he was wrong and the comment is racisit, but this should be kept in perspective.

Wife beaters, killers, dog killers, drunks, drug abuser all allowed forgiveness and redemption, yet an ill timed angry remark somehow condemns a man for life.

No other prejudicial remark gets that type of attention, yet the hypersensitive media frenzy about this situation is counter productive both from an individual standpoint and a societal standpoint.
    Gay remarks, insults on asians and women all have been heard and dismissed as mistakes, with barely a wimper, it is such a shame that we cannot speak honestly about this situation; everyone has to tow the line or be made to be a racist themselves.
    I have not sorrow for Cooper, he made his bed, but from an overall perspective, this reaction is insane.

152. wolfwithlightsaber says: Aug 2, 2013 1:18 PM

People in glass Locker rooms…..

153. spector568 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:19 PM

Longhaired white boy from Oklahoma at a Chesney show uses a racial epithet when he’s drunk and doesn’t get his way. (Or that’s my understanding)…

” I will fight every N_____ here”

Alcohol is like truth serum.

Apologies to his parents.

Deserves everything coming his way.

Things never change unless hard lines are taken.

Vick killing dogs has nothing to do with this kid being a racist.

154. jh4prez says: Aug 2, 2013 1:20 PM

His accent really killed him on this one.he sounds like leonardo decaprio in”django”.it was espicially racist in content and tone.all those defending it must say it alot themselves.you should be ashamed.

155. thepunkyqb says: Aug 2, 2013 1:20 PM

This getting to be a circus in itself simply based on how the Media took this and just ran wild with it until it became so much greater than it ever should have been. I am personally sickened by this whole ordeal and cannot believe a man’s livelihood is at stake now for using a word so commonly used by individuals of the suppossed ‘offended’ race. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. People wonder why it is so hard for the Eagles to succeed lately, well…here is the reason. They are clearly comprised of a group of individuals that cannot be mature enough to look over minor issues and move on to focus on the issue at hand.

156. siggtacular says: Aug 2, 2013 1:21 PM

He may not be a racist but his words are irreversible, his career will never be the same

157. eagleswin says: Aug 2, 2013 1:21 PM

teambringitstrong says:
    Aug 2, 2013 12:58 PM

============================

What would you call someone who tweets that people of other races be murdered or commit suicide?

Those guys are playing in the league today and yet they don’t get the hate you are showing Cooper. Why?

158. evrybdyhas1 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:21 PM

I preface these remarks with I grew up in a multi-cultural environment and my parents never used a racial remark nor would tolerate one although I heard them among friends and multi-races.

America is founded upon the principal of freedom of speech not mob rule. If a racist wants to say something racist they have that right and they must bear the consequences. I do not know what is in that mans heart only he does and he must bear that burden. If the standard is what you say can cost you your job than all similar remarks including remarks against gay people should get the same treatment. Unless of course the criticism is also racist based or not popular in the media.

159. touchdownroddywhite says: Aug 2, 2013 1:21 PM

Why aren’t all the players who made anti-gay remarks being treated the same way?

160. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 2, 2013 1:22 PM

Riley is being taken out to the woodshed for “counseling”. This is going to hurt him more than it hurts you.

161. bhindenemylines says: Aug 2, 2013 1:22 PM

Remember the video of JPP throwing Prince Amukamura into the ice bath? I remember JPP calling Prince “the N word”, but nobody made an issue out of it. But a white player does it and he is crucified in the media. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. Nobody should use the word, but anybody who does should receive the same backlash, regardless of color.

162. pioneerguy says: Aug 2, 2013 1:23 PM

Good thing Vick never utterred a racial slur when he was “training” his dogs or that would have caused a divided locker room.

163. norcaldeportes says: Aug 2, 2013 1:24 PM

46 catches in 3 years. He’s replaceable. The Eagles scouting dept. should start looking for a WR that can average 1 catch per game AND not offend 70% of his teammates. There has to be someone out there with those credentials, right?!

164. draculalambert says: Aug 2, 2013 1:24 PM

jesse jackson or the guy w/ the funny hair should really go after him….I want to see blood.

165. eagles512 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:24 PM

Come to the good and you’ll give him a permanent leave of absence? Disgraceful

166. filthymcnasty1 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:25 PM

jetsoptimist says: Aug 2, 2013 1:11 PM

*************************************************

Yeah, because other races aren’t capable of empathy.

167. n2thaizzo says: Aug 2, 2013 1:25 PM

When will white people learn…?

168. camdenyard says: Aug 2, 2013 1:28 PM

Enough already. He didn’t club baby seals or torture dogs. just fine him and move on. This is not a federal case.

169. dstep24 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:32 PM

It’s ridiculous that he’s having to drag this out like he is.

Let’s have Roddy White step away too then, for his comments on the Zimmerman jury members.

And Victor Cruz too.

And Ahmad Brooks for breaking a bottle over his teammate’s head when HE got drunk.

And Chris Culliver for his “anti-gay” comments.

Unbelievable.

I’ve stood on several NFL sidelines and the things these players say to each other, about what they’d do to each others’ moms, black players callin’ white players “white trash”, “honky”, “cracker”.

Are people this naive, to think this isn’t being used by the media, and other players, to play the victim? Stupid.

170. richardmswartz says: Aug 2, 2013 1:33 PM

This is not about what anyone else but Riley Cooper has done and whatever anyone else does is irrelevant. He is wrong. Besides the sensitivity issue is the fact that he knew that if you go and say something like that, this is the kind of circus you create. He knew that could happen. He created it, all of it. It’s his fault. Now he’s been fined and he has removed himself for a time where I assume he isn’t getting paid. This should be enough. This being about Cooper or the Eagles needs to end now. If people disagree about the word and its place and its use relative to each other, fine but now it’s time to leave the kid alone.

171. doe22us says: Aug 2, 2013 1:33 PM

This has easily been the worst ofseason in recent history at least since i started watching the NFL about 13 years ago. You name it its happened, get over it already everyone, move on. Get on with your life, who is Riley Cooper anyway.

172. mensamember says: Aug 2, 2013 1:33 PM

Everyone uses or has used racial slurs.(ok maybe just 90% of the population)
    Don’t deny it or you are just kidding yourself.
    I don’t know any one who owned slaves.
    I dont know any members of the KKK
    I never went to a segregated school.
    A conversation on racism? I’m all for it.
    A person’s perspective on another race is based on what they experience through out their lives and what they are taught by their families and/or peer groups. We are not born racist.
    Realism deal with it.
    Change the cause of racism, dont cry about the effects.

173. cglacius says: Aug 2, 2013 1:35 PM

BLUF….The Eagles and the NFL should have canned this guy when it first happenned…..It is probably acceptable in backwoods Mississippi or Fla, but shouldn’t in the NFL….People should keep their inner thoughts on race, religion, and politics to themselves.

174. jint77 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:36 PM

Blame Michael Vick, Jay Z, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Victor Cruz, and every rapper!

Its Their fault!

Herp Derp.

175. souldogdave says: Aug 2, 2013 1:38 PM

Remember how Howard Cosell lost his job?

176. mrshill0905 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:38 PM

This is great…nothing funnier that a ticked off Caucasian Riley Cooper Supporter, I thank you…without you this wouldn’t have been possible…should of just kept quiet LOL!!!!!!

177. allinskins says: Aug 2, 2013 1:41 PM

This is where essentially if you are not a person of color in particular an Afro-American you just will not be able to assimilate the line that was crossed here. I am not for taking someone livelihood and all for second chances. Everyone makes mistakes. But Coopers works in a environment that makes what he says very relevant to his career. He depends on the very people he has alienated with that word. Philly can cut him and he will run into the same problem on any team from San Francisco to Boston. I am not a teammate of his but was offended as a fan. I can find forgiveness but would I put my body on the line for this dude, probably not. And in that lies the dilemma for his black teammates.

178. filthymcnasty1 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:43 PM

mrshill0905 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:38 PM

************************************************

You mean funny, like the Zimmerman verdict?

179. 8man says: Aug 2, 2013 1:44 PM

Spencer says:
    Aug 2, 2013 12:58 PM
    ———————————————–
    Hardly! We live in a free country that has free speech and we will speak our minds in any manner we feel it correctly conveys our thoughts. Now there are several of us who will not use certain words because we are capable of better word choice and we under stand that the use of certain words diminishes our credibility and therefore our arguments.

freepretzels says:
    Aug 2, 2013 12:57 PM
    ———————————————–When you can explain why slight variations of the word are regularly dropped in the hip-hip culture as a term of endearment, thus reducing its derogatory meaning, maybe we’ll understand.

180. scandiman says: Aug 2, 2013 1:48 PM

Just give the man the death penalty for god’s sake!

181. bloodisred says: Aug 2, 2013 1:49 PM

@fanfair – very well stated!

Context, tone, delivery and source mean a lot. If you haven’t walked a few feet (I won’t ask for a mile) in my shoes, it’s impossible for you to understand what’s felt when “the word” is leveraged against you in THAT manner.

182. cfballfan1 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:50 PM

Every player in that locker room (or any other) who uses that word should get some “sensitivity training”.

183. bkostela says: Aug 2, 2013 1:52 PM

“The more I think about what I did, the more disgusted I get.”

Since this happened in June, he must have been disgusted with himself for quite some time now. But he didn’t seem too bothered about it until Wednesday. Wonder why that is….

184. kevinds113 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:53 PM

what people fail to realize about this is that its not the word,its the perceived context in which that word is delivered.. When it comes from another person of color.. its usually received as a term of endearment.(as is my buddy..or my boy…or my ni***r..) but when it comes from a white person.. it conjures up feeling of belittlement or it invokes a feeling of almost fear (because this term was used extensively in a derogatory manner by such hate groups as the KKK..aryan supremists and the like).. personally as an African American i find the word distasteful in any context.That and the fact that my parents gave me a perfectly fine name and i refuse to answer or respond to any other type of name or tag

185. chrisanderson2013 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:54 PM

So Jerry Rice, Steve Largent and Fred Biletnikoff
    used a racial slur? Oh wait did you say Riley Cooper? THEN WHO GIVES A DAMN!! Not even Charlie Pride and Darius Rucker (the only 2 black guys at the Kenny Chesney concert) gives a damn. It’s RILEY COOPER!!!!

186. jint77 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:54 PM

@filthymcnasty1

What does Zimmerman have to do with this?

I thought we were talking about Cooper.

187. mancave001 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:56 PM

Jets optimist:

“He’s a racist and should be punished for what he said.”

——

Really? And you know that how? He got drunk and said the N word? That’s like saying you’re an “optimistic” Jets fan so you must be mentally challenged. And what should his “punishment” be? He’s already been fined.

I agree with most commenters. This has gotten insanely dumb. Welcome to America, the Land of the Offended and the home of those whose bad choices are always “sicknesses.”

188. jint77 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:59 PM

Attention All White people. Do not generalize a whole race.

The vast majority of black people do not use this term “N****”.

Do not believe what you see on TV or what your sons listen to.

By the way, the number one audience for Rap or Hip Hop music are caucasian males. Fun Fact.

189. thedcunit says: Aug 2, 2013 2:00 PM

The redneck haircut just doesn’t help the cause…it just doesn’t…

190. harrycanyon says: Aug 2, 2013 2:02 PM

The next person on the eagles of ANY color that says the word should find themsevles on leave as well. This has gone too far. It’s a word that people stick too much meaning to. It’s time to move past holding a grudge for slavery and segregation. I had nothing to do with , and neither did most people walking the earth today. MOVE PAST IT and the world will better for it.

191. snowman36 says: Aug 2, 2013 2:03 PM

I wonder I he still wants to fight?

192. snnyjcbs says: Aug 2, 2013 2:07 PM

The Book The Ugly American has been replaced by a Book that has been out for awhile now called The Stupid American.

And they wonder why America is laughed at by the rest of the World. Get a Life people, the guy did something that was despicable that he will have to deal with. But who has not ever made a bad choice in Life.

Use to be America Land of the Brave, with the idiots, and I am not talking Cooper but the garbage that make it a Life’s work rubbing their noises up others behinds we have now become America Home of the Soft and Stupid.

193. filthymcnasty1 says: Aug 2, 2013 2:15 PM

jint77 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:59 PM

Attention All White people. Do not generalize a whole race.

**************************************************

Love the irony!

194. 11inthebox says: Aug 2, 2013 2:16 PM

@ justlntuckrule who says
    ——————————————-
    So far it seems like the only offended teammate is LeSean McCoy. It seems everyone else—including Michael Vick—has already forgiven him.

Don’t try to paint this as Cooper’s teammates being the problem. Sounds to me like the league has a problem with him.

On another note..

I’m a black man who has been in and around sports for most of my life. This whole incident is a big deal because (at least in my personal experience) the field and the locker room have always been the one place free from racism and racists.

195. kevinds113 says: Aug 2, 2013 2:22 PM

harrycanyon says: Aug 2, 2013 2:02 PM

see harry the point we are trying to get across to you and others is…we know that you and others had nothing to do with slavery..but when the word is used in a derogatory manner it brings that era (and all of its heinous acts) back to the forefront….it not holding a grudge.. its just that words like that are a constant reminder of that time

196. locutus says: Aug 2, 2013 2:23 PM

America, where everyone is equal. Except that some are more equal than others.

197. tigersfandan says: Aug 2, 2013 2:28 PM

Time for Roddy White to go on a leave of absence.

198. thestrategyexpert says: Aug 2, 2013 2:32 PM

I can give Riley Cooper a 2 hour session for free. Just watch The Jerk and forever remember that Steve Martin is the only white guy that can pull off using the N-Word!

199. danielm619 says: Aug 2, 2013 2:39 PM

Okay for all you excepting Riley Coopers behavior are ignorant. You must understand the fan base the nfl reaches out to. When he says a comment like that he doesn’t only disrespect African Americans, he also disrespects every other race that isn’t occasion. You must understand most of his coworkers (players) bosses (coaches) are African American. That’s very personal, these men are role models and if you allow your kids to look up to a man like this shame on you.!!

200. tombradyswig says: Aug 2, 2013 2:40 PM

mental note: never ever ever go to a KENNY CHESNEY concert!!!
    Oh yeah, I was never gonna anways!!!!!!!!

Leave Riley alone, he said somehting dumb, but wsa crapfaced drunk, then appoligized, many times,
    LET IT GO!!!!!!!!!!!

201. kevinds113 says: Aug 2, 2013 2:42 PM

one final comment… i have read where people say that blacks use the term cracka or honky…while this is also disgusting..using that word to a white person does not conjure up images or memories..of being subjucated..of your mother or daughter or wife or girlfriend being raped.. of lynchings..of beatings..or of countless other transgression that where perpetuated on people of color for centuries… therein lies the difference in the terms…people say just move past it…well perhaps we could if using that word to describe people of color weren’t used so frequently…just one mans opinion

202. bkeating51 says: Aug 2, 2013 2:44 PM

This reminds me of the time when Jimmy the Greek, who was a big draw for the CBS “NFL Today” Sunday show in the 80s, was interviewed in a restaurant in DC where the NFC Title game was going to be played. Of course he had been drinking.

The reporter asked him some question about blacks in sports and Greek responded that blacks were superior to whites in sports. He added his theory that this was because during the slavery era the white masters had bred their slaves to produce the biggest and strongest.

Greek was fired by CBS for this, never had another job in broadcasting, and died broke about eight years later.

Did the CBS execs not notice that blacks were superior to whites in all sports requiring the athleticism? Was his theory entirely crazy and insulting to blacks?

I met the man at Saratoga Race Course one summer. He was very mild-mannered and had suffered great hardship in life, losing two children to sudden death.

I think that the media, always looking for a good, scandalous story, is mostly responsible for these incidents.

203. thirdistheworrd says: Aug 2, 2013 2:44 PM

What if I told you that a white third-string wide receiver playing on a predominantly black team in a predominantly black city would risk losing his job?

And what if I told you it was not because he wasn’t talented or because the team didn’t need another slot receiver, but simply because he uttered a vehement and aggressive racial slur on a viral video: alienating his fans and teammates and causing major locker room problems?

ESPN and 30 for 30 Films present: “Gee, who saw that coming? The Riley Cooper Story”

204. richndc says: Aug 2, 2013 2:47 PM

One thing is for sure. Trolls are in season right now and out in force. If Riley Cooper was a great player this would not be happening, not at all. Let that be a lesson to the scrubs. Go Shea-gles!!! The city of “brotherly”…wha…..?

205. rickc402 says: Aug 2, 2013 2:49 PM

Enjoy the politically correct circus, this is what us Redskins fans have been dealing with since the end of the season. (Name change nonsense)

206. 49erstim says: Aug 2, 2013 2:52 PM

@eagleswin…… that is by far the greatest post/comment in the history of this site. Very well done. I salute you kind sir. :-)

207. jint77 says: Aug 2, 2013 2:52 PM

@filthymcnasty1

Thanks for correcting me.

Attention filthymcnasty1. Do not generalize a whole race.

The vast majority of black people do not use this term “N****”.

Do not believe what you see on TV or what your sons listen to.

Also,

@filthymcnasty1

Do not bring the Zimmerman case into this…A little off topic.

208. albinorhino49 says: Aug 2, 2013 2:55 PM

The first time Cracker is uttered and caught on video, heads should roll.

209. audient says: Aug 2, 2013 2:56 PM

I’m white, and I get it (or so I think). We can’t say that word. And, by the way, I don’t really want or need to say that word. I don’t think it is unfair that black people can say it and I can’t. I don’t think I’m missing out on anything there. If it is somehow unfair, it is far less of an injustice than the oppression suffered by black people for hundreds of years, and yes, to some extent, still today.

As for Riley Cooper, he not only said that word, he said something nasty and threatening along with it. That is a big deal. It isn’t “PC crap” to react accordingly to someone declaring that he’ll “fight every n—– here.” He has some serious explaining to do, and maybe it isn’t something he can work around. And maybe, people will learn from that.

210. cleekk says: Aug 2, 2013 2:58 PM

All of that remorse, but not one mention of nor apology to the security guard.

211. jint77 says: Aug 2, 2013 2:59 PM

Some people need to realize that depending who you are, you just cant say the word.

Do not get mad about it. You just can’t say it.

It’s a bad word and I wish that everyone, including African Americans would stop saying it.

Hey, they are worse double standards out there.
    Nobody cares if you think it’s a double standard.

It’s not the end of the world….just don’t say it.

212. jint77 says: Aug 2, 2013 3:02 PM

@audient

I agree.

213. jetsoptimist says: Aug 2, 2013 3:02 PM

mancave001 says:
    Aug 2, 2013 1:56 PM
    Jets optimist:

“He’s a racist and should be punished for what he said.”

——

_________________
    Oh ok so you must have done it before and think its ok! Yes if you use that word then you are a racist! On top of that he was drunk and had violent intentions. What if he didn’t get caught on camera and one of the times he gets “drunk” and decides he wants to fight somebody? Next time he could hurt somebody or get himself seriously hurt. His Tru feelings came out, so once again he is a racist!

214. briscocountyjr says: Aug 2, 2013 3:07 PM

This situation and the fallout speaks more about the condition and values of society more than anything else about it. In this culture we can see that image, appearance, and words are propped up as values over understanding, compassion, let alone racism and solving it. Because of that and our inability to intelligently, collectively cure societal problems, we can see double-standards play out like a carnival that invite media frenzies and attention, over legitimate concerns for humanity, such as financial/social inequalities that actually breed contempt at the foundation of our collective experience. Deteriorated education and the capitalist scheme, minus integrated educational programs perpetuate the cycle we continue to share together. Understanding human behaviors is largely ignored to the point that labels are used to stomp out and blame the symptom that individuals like Riley become. At the end of the day it just is what it is when it comes to Riley becoming ostracized– because he is not an elite talent… only when someone is talented the capitalist media/corporate culture find forgiveness. If you don’t have skills, there is less forgiveness, and will to understand.

215. fissels says: Aug 2, 2013 3:07 PM

This is getting to be a pattern

1. Somebody does something stupid
    2. The media goes crazy
    3. The person apologizes
    4. The media won’t accept the apology and hammers the story 24-7.

216. thelastwordyaheard says: Aug 2, 2013 3:09 PM

unreal ..this country is circling the drain.. time to burn it down & start over

217. seabronco says: Aug 2, 2013 3:12 PM

Let it go

218. ctolv111 says: Aug 2, 2013 3:24 PM

They wanted to bury “Paula Dean” alive for something she said 20 years ago. From a Mexi. Man that looks like a Cracker, this is all silly hate rear end licking! Stop Already!!!!!

219. seals1 says: Aug 2, 2013 3:31 PM

I’m looking for a Russian wife. Do you think they have any websites where I can find a Russian wife and move there?

We have all turned into mini van driving soccer moms that believe every kid can be the winner.

220. hatesycophants says: Aug 2, 2013 3:35 PM

If you are shocked and appalled at the Eagles organization’s response to Cooper’s idiocy, I think I can help you understand. This weekend, go out, get drunk, find some black people (this may take more effort for some of you), threaten to fight them using the N-word, record the incident, take it to work on Monday and show it to your coworkers and bosses.

Let us know how it goes. You should have plenty of time on your hands.

221. fourstargraphics says: Aug 2, 2013 3:39 PM

I too think this has gotten way out of hand, but you know what they say. ” You really find out who a person is when there drinking” Alcohol brings out the true feelings of a person.

Also maybe the Eagles are using this as an excuse to cut a marginal receiver. How many catches has he had since being in the league?

222. 4getu says: Aug 2, 2013 3:47 PM

“By the way, the number one audience for Rap or Hip Hop music are caucasian males. Fun Fact”

You just made that up, nice try though

223. bluejacketsfan16 says: Aug 2, 2013 3:49 PM

Not saying what Cooper did was right, but if LeSean McCoy called a white security guard at a Lil Wayne concert a ‘honky’ then this doesn’t even get looked by the media or his teammates.

224. mrb1000 says: Aug 2, 2013 3:56 PM

oh it is only a word! just say it to a black person face! hey if you do not want to cheer for the eagles ok, but their are other team that has just as many black players as the eagle and feel the same way!

225. 4getu says: Aug 2, 2013 4:04 PM

What he said was wrong and he should have never said anything. Cooper would have been better off fighting the guy. Nobody would care that he doesn’t like or respect security guards and he would probably still have a job and would not be the most hated person in sports right now.

226. bleedeaglegreen says: Aug 2, 2013 4:11 PM

===============================================================
    1) To the people saying this is only about Cooper & not any other situation – I saw almost all your names on posts defending Vick & bringing up Roethlisberger. Hypocritical?
    2) Trayvon uttered a racial slur about George Zimmerman & then after uttering that racial slur, attacked physically. So, it was OK for Trayvon but not Cooper? Hypocritical?
    3) Every single time an African American player does something immoral or against the law, all other supporters say is “let he without sin cast the first stone” & insinuate any public opinion disapproval is based upon racist feelings. Here we have a Caucasian player making a mistake & I am not seeing the bible verses defending him as we do for “others”. But obviously that doesn’t pertain to any Caucasians, only African Americans. Hypocritical?

This is the problem with this “deep-rooted” offense that is being stirred up here. It’s OK for African American players to say HORRIBLE bigoted disgusting things about women, gays & any other people they deem fitting. The whole “I can say it because I mean it different then you do” is nothing but hypocritical horse feathers!! Why is it that it’s only acceptable for African Americans to be offended by being called a racial slur but things like Cracker are perfectly acceptable? Why is it only that African Americans are the only ones allowed to be up in arms about a racial slur? Why do African Americans refuse to see how hypocritical this whole thing is?

227. jay1datguy49er says: Aug 2, 2013 4:12 PM

alot of you need to grow up and understand the severity of just “words” if its just a word why dont white people use “cr^cker” to greet each other or say “wassup my h*nky” you know why you dont? because deep down you dont know who you are so you want to do whats cool. Is it that whites want to be like blacks? is it that the N word is used by blacks and blacks seem cool saying it? This is all to say its ignorance by cooper and him using the word wasnt smart but the remarks following saying he will “fight every n in this place” thats a threat and if he would have touched someone it would have turned into a hate crime best comment on here:

sorry i could remember your name

1. As he should…a toxic environment he created. After all, a drunk mind speaks a sober tongue…

228. 11inthebox says: Aug 2, 2013 4:25 PM

@audient who says:

——————————————
    Perfectly stated.

229. kelmcc says: Aug 2, 2013 4:27 PM

Ironically, this is the team that has a felon for a QB and had a staffer/child of person running the team OD in a dorm room last year.

230. godwinaka says: Aug 2, 2013 4:29 PM

Directed at those who think “this is just silly”.

It’s easy for a person to sit and say dude “just let the guy play” or condemn players for being offended but the fact of the mater is everyone has a right to react to hurtful things. You have no right to tell them not to feel hurt.

Yes many African-American’s say the word a lot. But there are two big problems with that argument.
    1) Everything is about verbal context and historic contact. Verbal context: he said it in a very violent manner which makes it more than a word. Historic context: it can be debated weather black people should say it or not, but historically black people never did to each other what white people did to them. The history of the word makes black people angry when it comes out of a white person’s mouth. If you don’t get it then reread your history books . If you don’t like it then start writing a less racist history for you country.

2) Even if African-American people say it to each other, African immigrants do not joke about that word because they feel its history on the African continent is not a joke (remember white people took over the African continent until about 50 years ago). There are African immigrants on the Eagles and African immigrants in the NFL who are offended. This ties back to my initial point. People have the right to be angry.

It’s sad that you do not care about social justice in football but thankfully it doesn’t matter what you think.

231. viviannatx says: Aug 2, 2013 4:32 PM

This is just BS! If he has to get counseling then any black players that use the word should have to also. People need to get a grip.

232. jetsoptimist says: Aug 2, 2013 4:44 PM

Directed at those who think “this is just silly”.

Thank you for giving some folks knowledge of the whole situation, godwinaka!

233. bowsi says: Aug 2, 2013 5:03 PM

Say what you want but African-American’s use the “N” word because it’s a slap in the face to the Anglo-Saxons who can’t without fearing persecution. Just sayin it’s messed up world in which we live.

234. coachbeck says: Aug 2, 2013 5:42 PM

Liberals love ruining people’s lives over a word. Ask Paula dean.

He said a stupid thing…. Why can’t we move on?????

235. masterflyguy says: Aug 2, 2013 6:14 PM

No racist remark intended but what’s the difference between “black” and “african-american”? Is one better than the other? If so, then why is it ok for them to use the n-word? It’s either bad (like I believe) or it isn’t. We’re all the same, right? Just saying…

236. jenkinsjenkins9 says: Aug 2, 2013 6:17 PM

Really,

Comparing Dog Killings to hundreds of years of slavery, Give me a break. Using that word in the connotation it was used on that video was pure racism. PERIOD.

For those that say double standard… Well yes it is a double standard. How many Black Football team owners are there???? Can you say single standard???

How many times has there been a Black Football commisioner??? Single Standard…

I don’t think Riley should quit the team. I think he should have to deal with it. Whatever comes his way….

He’ll think twice about the racial slur again!

237. philipmiller111 says: Aug 2, 2013 6:29 PM

Michael Vick is appalled. Is this the same Vick that destroyed dogs in a pit. Sorry, no comparison.

238. bigbwoy000 says: Aug 2, 2013 6:37 PM

“Have you seen the draft… stand on platform half naked while the owner associates pick and prod and salavate over their “Prospects”.

The only difference is there’s no chains and whips and they are getting money. Money which they are restricted in using until a certain time. Oh and there’s still the contract. This is why AP made the comparison to Slavery… Athletes are still maimed, injured “TRADED”, “SOLD”, and the likes. Sounds alot like slavery to me, just eased up a bit.”

Caucasian players aren’t treated in the same manor? This so called slavery treatment you refer to is exclusive to Black players only?

Here’s an idea: they can always get real JOBS like the rest of us have to do & work a real job for a living. LOL This really is getting ridiculous.

239. briscocountyjr says: Aug 2, 2013 7:14 PM

“thedcunit says:
    Aug 2, 2013 2:00 PM
    The redneck haircut just doesn’t help the cause…it just doesn’t…

that being said everyone should attempt to grab the fact that in the end (the majority of us) want peace. By removing this word from our daily routine and other words as well, we can all get along much better further down the road. Don’t let words control you.”

Sounds contradictory, doesn’t it? First, coming from a “DC fan”…err..Redskins. Dan Snyder must have clicked the ‘thumb up’ on this one. Second, we need to start removing words from our language? – sounds like gun control. How about we get real and have an honest look at where the term Redskins originates and see if you support that as well.

240. tirc2328 says: Aug 2, 2013 7:26 PM

Riley Cooper’s utterance of the N-word expressed his thoughts, his beliefs, which were: I am better than people with dark skin who are descendants of slaves in America, we call them N’s. He is a racist.

But words don’t offend. The thoughts conveyed by their utterance offend. The N-word, while not being the most elegant of words, is often uttered to convey positive or harmless thoughts. It is also uttered to convey mean-spirited white supremacists/white privilege racists thoughts. You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to tell the difference. Its not the word, it’s the racists thoughts conveyed; and you know the thoughts are racists by the manner in which it is uttered. What we should be attacking is white supremacist/white privilege racism. Period. We know what thoughts Riley Cooper was conveying by the way in which he uttered the word. His thoughts were: “the whole group of people with melanin abundant skin descended from slaves in America, yeah, that group, are worthy of no respect whatsoever.” I, as one of those melanin abundant people, heard racists Riley’s message loud and clear. A total prohibition of the words utterance is absurd, because nowadays Americans of all cultures, all cultures, use the N-word to convey positive or harmless thoughts in their private conversations. Those of you who use it in this way know what I mean. Again, its not the most elegant word, but its not the word that is demonic, it’s the white supremacist/white privilege attitude of white racists like Riley Cooper, which are conveyed by its use that is demonic. And when Paula Deen used the word, she was being racists too. The thoughts she conveyed were: “Those dark bodies are absolutely worth less than me and those that look like me. The most they are good for is serving me a traditional southern meal though.”

241. coronakid76 says: Aug 2, 2013 7:38 PM

Freedom of Speech, Just watch what you say!!!

-Ice T, 1989

242. bigbwoy000 says: Aug 2, 2013 8:26 PM

@tirc2328

What is demonic is asking for forgiveness for some, while proclaiming to be judge & jury on others. The hatred being displayed for someone that didn’t:

Drink & drive twice, killing a team mate – Josh Brent
    Drink & drive twice, killing an innocent fellow driver – Larry Little
    Intentionally & systematically for over 6 years torture defenseless animals in some of the most inhumane ways possible as he laughed about it.

But Cooper is the devil himself. And we see many that lectured others to forgive & forget, too eager to pass judgement on others.

243. sillec28 says: Aug 2, 2013 8:46 PM

Amazing, just amazing. The NFL is loaded with criminals of one kind or another, including murderers, guys who get drunk and kill a friend while driving, guys who kill a pedestrian while drunk and driving, guys who beat up taxicab drivers, and any number of wife beaters, drug addicts, and who knows what else. And many of them continue to play in the NFL. But a guy who gets drunk, who in his stupid drunken anger at a black security guard uses the word that he figures will hurt the guard the most, is given a “leave of absence” while he’s sent to “counseling” and in all likelihood will never play again in the NFL. All because one use of that word under those circumstances conclusively demonstrates that he’s a “racist.”

244. tirc2328 says: Aug 2, 2013 10:38 PM

But words don’t offend. The thoughts conveyed by their utterance offend. The N-word, while not being the most elegant of words, is often uttered to convey positive or harmless thoughts. It is also uttered to convey mean-spirited white supremacists/white privilege racists thoughts. You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to tell the difference. Its not the word, it’s the racists thoughts conveyed; and you know the thoughts are racists by the manner in which it is uttered. What we should be attacking is white supremacist/white privilege racism. Period. We know what thoughts Riley Cooper was conveying by the way in which he uttered the word. His thoughts were: “the whole group of people with melanin abundant skin descended from slaves in America, yeah, that group, are worthy of no respect whatsoever.” I, as one of those melanin abundant people, heard racists Riley’s message loud and clear. A total prohibition of the words utterance is absurd, because nowadays Americans of all cultures, all cultures, use the N-word to convey positive or harmless thoughts in their private conversations. Those of you who use it in this way know what I mean. Again, its not the most elegant word, but its not the word that is demonic, it’s the white supremacist/white privilege attitude of white racists like Riley Cooper, which are conveyed by its use that is demonic. And when Paula Deen used the word, she was being racists too. The thoughts she conveyed were: “Those dark bodies are absolutely worth less than me and those that look like me. And the most they are good for is serving me a traditional southern meal though.”

245. jotheduke says: Aug 3, 2013 12:34 AM

It is highly insulting for someone to try and tell me what I should or should not find highly offensive!
    Truly,
    Human Being

246. perfect1972 says: Aug 3, 2013 3:58 AM

First of all, you are ignorant if his comment is “racist” to you.

Do any of you calling him a racist even know what racism is? Not liking black people doesn’t make you a racist, it just makes you an intolerant, ignorant, and small-minded jerk.

I own a bar in Georgia. We have several black regular customers and we love them. They are some of our most enjoyable customers. We view them the same as everyone else. Then late at night when several college age white girls are dancing or whatever I hear the “hood” type black guys outside on their phones calling their friends to come see the white girls. They then come in and invariably get handsy and run every woman out of the entire place until there are nothing but “hood” type black guys in there treating my attractive bartenders like crap. I had to disable rap on the juke box and put an ID guy at the door strictly enforcing dress codes and ID policies and cancel DJ night just to stop the trend. My sales immediately jumped 40% and my woman ratio is higher than ever. I also booked a few country bands.

I’m just saying, a lot of the animosity towards blacks is a result of the own doing of the blacks that act like this. The hood mentality keeps things segregated. In my experience, blacks hate white people much more than white people hate them and invariably when any person treats another person with respect, then they get it back.

So Cooper may be ignorant, but surprise, a redneck white guy at a country concert got drunk and said that word. He got caught. He clearly is somewhat prejudice but being prejudice is ignorant and being racist means that you see a biological, special inferiority of another race.

And let’s be clear, nobody on an NFL team was a slave. Ever. None of their parents or grandparents were ever owned by white people so please get over it. The only people keeping the black race down are black people, and they do a great job of it generally. Act like a human that is acceptable in mainstream society, and people will treat you the same.

247. raideralex99 says: Aug 3, 2013 6:48 AM

If the NFL kick out all the player who did something wrong … there would be only a handful of black players playing in the NFL.
    It’s amazing the double standards we live by.

248. winsaintswin says: Aug 3, 2013 5:08 PM

This is between Cooper and the Eagles, yeah someone asked the players what they thought and they said what they thought. These players don’t sign Cooper’s check and they can’t put him on LOA.

He PO’d his BOSS and his BOSS did this to him, who knows why, but it probably had to do with money. Getting upset with the players who voiced their opinions is ludicrous, even if they don’t like him, they will still do their job or guess what, they will be sanctioned too.

As to why other players aren’t facing the same consequences for similar scenarios, take that up with their bosses.

249. mrquint73 says: Aug 4, 2013 12:22 PM

The real offense here is that he was at a Kenny Chesney concert