Hakeem Nicks says he’ll be ready to go in “another day or two”

Wild Card Playoffs - Atlanta Falcons v New York Giants Getty Images

Giants coach Tom Coughlin admitted to being frustrated by not having wide receiver Hakeem Nicks, but that he understands that it is better for both Nicks and the Giants to let the wideout stay on the sideline until there’s less risk of aggravating his groin injury.

According to Nicks, Coughlin shouldn’t have to wait too much longer. Nicks said he didn’t think his injury was serious and that he wouldn’t be sitting out if it weren’t the second day of August, but that going through an injury-ravaged 2012 season has made him realize that he has to “protect myself from myself” when it comes to trying to play through pain.

“I wouldn’t even categorize it as an injury,” Nicks said, via Paul Schwartz of the New York Post. “It’s just being smart coming off of the problems I had last year with the knee and the foot. I just don’t want it to be ongoing. I’ll be out there as soon as they let me; I think in another day or two.”

With unrestricted free agency looming at the end of the season and no sign that the Giants plan to head that off at the pass with a long-term contract, Nicks has another reason to avoid unnecessary health risks in training camp. He also has all the motivation in the world to put up a huge season, which the Giants would surely trade for a couple of practice days in early August.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Hakeem Nicks says he’ll be ready to go in “another day or two””
  1. justinstuckrule says: Aug 2, 2013 3:17 PM

The first preseason game is still a couple of weeks away and Nicks season is likely over already. My Giants are snakebit. At least maybe they’ll get the top pick in the draft next year.

2. dynaco says: Aug 2, 2013 3:25 PM

Oh goodie, a Hakeem clock for the other wall.

3. jawslsp says: Aug 2, 2013 3:35 PM

He’s the next (non-carolina) Steve Smith

4. swaggyy says: Aug 2, 2013 3:40 PM

How is this dude always injured? I just don’t get how you can b banged up with a full off season and little contact in practice.

5. weekendatberniemadoffs says: Aug 2, 2013 3:51 PM

come on back home to charlotte.

6. thekiller678 says: Aug 2, 2013 4:12 PM

justinstuckrule says: Aug 2, 2013 3:17 PM

======================================
    After reading your comments on here for some time, you’re either a Browns fan disguised as a Giants fan or the most pessimistic unfaithful fan of all time.

7. homerx says: Aug 2, 2013 4:13 PM

The Giants better not open the coffers for him after the season. As much as I like him and think he is a top receiver when healthy, he never has and never will play a complete 16 game season. Here are his totals so far from NFL.com

2009 – 14
    2010 – 13
    2011 – 15
    2012 – 13

And I bet he is around 13 again this season. Let’s hope those games are up front since the G-men always collapse at the end of the season; they sure need him healthy then.

8. cpo187 says: Aug 2, 2013 4:38 PM

He said the same thing for 17 weeks last year.

9. justintuckrule says: Aug 2, 2013 4:58 PM

Look at the comments. I love rooting for a team that is so roundly hated. Makes me know we’re doing something right.

10. nygnjd says: Aug 2, 2013 6:54 PM

justintuckrule says:
    Aug 2, 2013 4:58 PM

You even managed to get multiple fake versions of your name used by trolls. Dumb ones, at that, to think real fans can’t tell the difference.

11. kev86 says: Aug 2, 2013 11:01 PM

Hakeem is a beast. Playing for a contract too. Giants could drop a ton of points on teams if he’s healthy.

12. excessivedrinking says: Aug 3, 2013 12:32 PM

If Nicks can stay healthy, him Cruz, and Myers will be a real nice trio for Eli.