Martellus Bennett takes swings at teammates in Bears camp

AP

When the Bears signed tight end Martellus Bennett, they knew they were getting someone who likes to stir things up on the practice field. And that’s just what Bennett did today.

The Chicago Tribune reports that Bennett got into it with defensive backs Major Wright, Chris Conte, Craig Steltz and Kelvin Hayden, and was swinging with punches before things settled down. Bennett was unapologetic afterward.

“It’s hot, you know,” Bennett said. “I am actually a mean person. I know you all think I joke around and [stuff] but I am not. I am very aggressive. They are aggressive with me, I am aggressive with them. You come hard at me, I come hard at you all day. I mean, I don’t back down for anything, anyone. It’s just the way I play. That’s how I play. So, it started feeling like a game, there was tackling, so I turned into game mode.”

Bears coach Marc Trestman didn’t seem to think the fight was a problem.

“During the course of training camp, these things will happen,” Trestman said. “I don’t think it festered, I don’t think it lingered. The guys are extremely professional. We moved on to the next play, it became a highly competitive practice. The guys kept their composure and moved on. That’s what we would expect. It’s going to happen in a game where somebody’s going to lose their mind. When one guy does, it’s not who he is, he just lost his composure for a minute.”

The Bears just need Bennett not to lose his composure on Sundays.

77 responses to “Martellus Bennett takes swings at teammates in Bears camp

1. You’re dealing with a nutjob who is also very childish and doesn’t accept any personal responsibility. Dump him now!

2. If the NFL wants to improve their image they need to get the media out of the locker rooms, off the fields and away from their teams.

I don’t see classy getting drafted over effective.

3. I except the Vikings and Bears to be fighting it out for the division title this year, Green Bay is regressing and will probably have around. 7-9 record with that horrible defense and depleted offensive line

4. Fights happen in training camp this is nothing out of the ordinary. The bears could use some of this energy on the field, as long as they are able to stick together as a team.

5. As a Viking fan..I don’t like the Bears, but I have respect for them. But the Packer’s organization I have no respect for them or their inbred fans

6. This is why the Steelers remain the standard.

Pittsburgh was not built in a day.

7. That’s funny. I don’t remember Bennett taking swings at team mates in practice while he was in Dallas.

Then again Bennett never really did much of anything in practice.

8. So first you have Cutler saying that some players haven’t bought into Trestman, and NOW you have players throwing punches at practice?

Oh, this is too much fun lol

9. I thought NY was idiots for getting rid of this guy, very athletic and fit the mold of the modern TE perfectly. Now I starting to understand that this guy is a selfish un coachable moron that will never figure it out.

10. Yeah, he swings all right. I hear he was put out of NY for hanging round with Sexy Rexy’s wife a bit too much!!

11. Hmmm How did Chicago end up with him I thought it was Cinys turn to sign an ex Cowboy. But it is always nice to see teams sign our cast offs. Between The bears and bengals ex cowboys are almost certain to have a job because that’s all those teams do is sign our srubs

12. Humm, he didn’t make it with the CowBabies or the giants and now he’s fighting his new teammates in Chicago. Typical former Aggie.

13. filthymcnasty1 says:
    Aug 2, 2013 8:44 PM
    CFL coaches have no idea how to deal with NFL players. The Bears are doomed.

—————————————

Better to fight during training camp than the 4th quarter of a Divisional playoff game, right?

14. they’re in pads and helmets…what are you swinging at with just your gloved hands?

15. Got a love to b unicorn. I’m scared to fill in the b because I don’t want to lose my job.

16. Throwing punches at MULTIPLE teammates?… Wow. I understand the fights when they are rare, but this dude is trying to set a record. sheesh.

17. In camp, it’s offense vs. defense. In season, it’s your team vs. their team. You can bet he would stick up for those guys against another team.
    This is news, I suppose, but no big deal.

18. Gotta love the part where the coach calls him/them extremely professional… Throwing punches is professional??? Because that happens at all work places, right? And save the its competitive line. Many jobs are competitive!!! Should be arrested like anyone else would be for assault .

19. Players mixing it up in practice is nothing new, so this is nothing to worry about…And hell, the dude took on four guys without backing down…I’m impressed.

20. I’m not gonna click on the story because I’d rather react than read but seems to me Bennett took on four defenders. That’s awesome. If that dude was swinging on four teammates in the heat of the moment and then didn’t apologize after, that’s something Chicago coaches can put to their advantage.

I’d front out Lions, Packers and Vikings defenders all day trying to get Bennett amped up.

“….and then Madieu Williams said your Rolex was fake, Martellus, but you didn’t hear that from me.”

21. Honestly? Bennett sounds like kind of an idiot.
    “I went into game mode “…?!?
    So taking swings at the defense and drawing 15 yards is part of the master plan?
    Please… Take a swing at a linebacker if you want to be a tough guy. Not a 175 pound corner.
    What a punk…

22. So 2 of the 4 guys he swung at are white, shirley b on w agression and clearly conduct detrimental to the league. A fine, suspension and possibly being cut are in order.

23. You really can’t blame Bennett’s teammates after they read on MMQB his desire to star in Kazaam 2.

24. I was there its hot fights happen in training camp the players are tired of hitting each other they want to hit players from the packers or other teams

25. So Martellus Bennett got into a fight with not one, not two, but four team mates and the the Head Coach Marc Trestman believes this is not an issue.

Marc Trestman is the same coach who was ran off to the CFL after he helped “sabotage” the Super Bowl with Bill Callahan, kicked Brian Urlacher and Henry Melton to the curb, and though it was a great idea to bring in JaMarcus Russell for a tryout…..

It’s not an issue.

26. Reportedly, this all started when Bennett told Major Wright that Chicago style deep dish pizza was overrated, and how stupid it is that it always sticks to the pan.

So that’s what Cutler meant when he said not everyone has bought in..

27. @unbiasfan That horrible defense that was better than the Minnesota’s defense last season? The one that went from 32nd the year before to 11th last year?
    What does it matter anyway? Green Bay eventually spanked ya’ll just like they always do.

28. filthymcnasty1 says:
    Aug 2, 2013 8:44 PM
    CFL coaches have no idea how to deal with NFL players. The Bears are doomed.

_____________________________________________________
    Good thing Trestman has 14+ years experience in the NFL!

Packer’s fans are so worried right now, hahaha!

1981 College Miami-FL Volunteer Assistant
    2011 CFL Montral Alouettes Head Coach
    2012 CFL Montral Alouettes Head Coach
    2013 NFL Chicago Bears Head Coach

29. aaronfraudgers says:Aug 2, 2013 8:58 PM

Oh, this is too much fun lol
    ——————————————–
    Watch the tape little girl, it’s football.

30. In the days of Nitschke and Buttkiss, it would’ve been a story if this wasn’t happening in practice.

31. Martellus throws punches= One story

Riley talks of throwing punches but only throws a bad word = 30 stories

Go media! keep up the good work!

32. youarejealousof6rings says;

This is why the Steelers remain the standard.

Pittsburgh was not built in a day.

You are correct but you forgot to type the rest of your post. Which goes……….. But they did fall apart overnight!

These types of steelers fans are why half the people who are passionate about football hate the steelers! The hate has nothing to do with the fact that they were once dominate (keyword is once! Far from it anymore). The hate for the steelers comes from listening to classless arrogant fans that think this team is the gold standard for the NFL. Far from it the only reason they are even relevant is because Dick Lebeau is such a great D-Coordinator. Once he’s done coaching (which will be very soon) this team will be AFC North bottom dwellers!! Mark my words! Then hopefully no one will have to listen to the rubbish these fans spew constantly! YUCK!!!

33. That defense has played together for a long time and they can make it real hard for the coaches to Justify keeping Bennett on the team. a few knocked down passes, a couple (Tillman ) take aways. and Wright banging on him in the middle on every play and Bennett dont look so sweet to the coaches. Im saying they can turn him off. and Cutler wont have a choice but to stay away from throwing passes his way because of INT’s and knocked down passes. I dont think getting in fights with that defense is a smart idea. together they can make practice worse than a game for him. and cuts are coming soon

34. Bears will finish dead last…treshman will realize coaching in NFL is much differ then CFL

35. chi01town says: Aug 3, 2013 2:26 AM

——————————————————————-
    It’s clear you haven’t been paying attention to camp. Bennett has been a nightmare for our DB’s in camp. They’re not making him look bad at all.

36. chi01town says:
    Aug 3, 2013 2:26 AM

_________________________________

A. Fights happen in training camp all the time. This is nothing new.

B. There is absolutely no way M. Bennett will be cut. (In fact, that insinuation was worse than the Packer trolls comments-it made absolutely no sense.)

C. I think it’s a good thing that the defense is being challenged. for the past three years, the TE position has been a complete joke for the Bears-having some healthy, physical competition can strengthen out all ready Top 5 defensive squad.

37. unbiasfan says: Aug 2, 2013 8:41 PM

________________________________

That’s right. You will bow at the feet of BearNation as your purple fairies go 0-2 against Da Bears!!! 😀

38. Did any of you ever play football? A fight once in awhile in the heat of the summer happens to every team! I would be disappointed if it didn’t.The fighting for their jobs.

39. Y@ ubepunkedagain
    I hope the Bears continue to follow typical Chicago style and maintain the highest winning percentage of any NFL franchise, or better yet win 2 titles in 4 years like the hawks just did what a month ago?

40. skarfacci says: Aug 3, 2013 8:22 AM

“Rob Gronkoswki, he is not. Face it, this guy is my very good.”

Your very good what?

41. unbiasfan says: Aug 2, 2013 8:31 PM

———————————————————-Mr Unbias, for some reason I think you are bias.

How big of a side wager would you like to make on the statement you offer ? How about $1000 ?
    I guarantee GB will not be 7-9 nor will it be 8-8.
    The Vikings have a chance to be cellar dwellers this year. Actually I don’t expect a wild card for an NFC North team – AFC North and NFC East games will make for a tough season.
    Packers 10-6, Bears 8-8, Lions 8-8, Vikes 7-9

Of course any starting QB injuries will change any teams chances.

42. Say what you will about Bennet. I like him as a TE for the bears but my issue is the overall team chemistry. This doesn’t look good for us as a team. I can almost gurantee you this wouldn’t of happened if Urlacher was on the team. He was the leader of that team and kept the peace between the players. I don’t know who on the bears roster is going to fill that leadership role. I hoped Cutler would do it but thus far it doesn’t seem like he has.