Sanchez says turnover problems all in his mind

Mark Sanchez AP

Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez said he’s certain he won’t turn the ball over 26 times this year (as he has each of the last two years) for one simple reason.

He decided not to.

I totally believe in the power of your mind,” Sanchez said, via Brian Costello of the New York Post. “As long as I’m studying and as long as I understand the plays and the reads like I know I do, then that’s just mental makeup. It just shouldn’t happen. It’s crazy. It’s really hard to convey to somebody. I just have to go do it. That’s the most important thing.

“I just have to show it. I just have to prove I can take care of the ball like I know I can and get the ball to the right guy.”

Sanchez said his positive mental attitude has translated into fewer turnovers than in any previous camp. But he also knows that because of the sheer volume the last two years, and the one play in particular, it will always be an issue for him.

“I don’t really care,” Sanchez said. “People say ‘butt fumble’ to me and I’m like ‘all right. Yeah, it was a blooper play. It sucks. OK, so what?’ “ . . .

“There’s plenty of other funny plays, but that one probably tops the charts. I don’t know. Who cares? It’s one of those things that it happened during the season, so what? If we win a bunch of games this year, it will just be something we laugh at. If we don’t, so what? I’m still going to laugh at it. It’s funny. Who cares?

Actually, if he doesn’t knock the turnovers off, he probably won’t get a chance to get to 26 this year, since Geno Smith is waiting in the wings, and may win the job anyway.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
24 Responses to “Sanchez says turnover problems all in his mind”
  1. tokyosandblaster says: Aug 2, 2013 4:21 PM

No, they’re real.

2. thestrategyexpert says: Aug 2, 2013 4:22 PM

I agree with him and as commented on earlier today, his coach has shown a weakness for understanding of the power of the mind. He finds tremendous motivation from a negative source that being the negative predictions of others. Sanchez’s #1 problem in my opinion is that he doesn’t have a good coach to help him fine tune his mind to become a better QB. Sanchez still has a chance to make something of his career, but he needs to figure out how to do that on his own if the Jets can’t hire somebody to assist him with that.

3. boyshole25 says: Aug 2, 2013 4:27 PM

Sweet headband cutie

4. bucrightoff says: Aug 2, 2013 4:28 PM

That’s future Applebees employee of the month Mark Sanchez to you.

5. jets13 says: Aug 2, 2013 4:29 PM

smh.

6. Brinke says: Aug 2, 2013 4:29 PM

er, they’re in his ARM.

7. joetoronto says: Aug 2, 2013 4:31 PM

It’s obvious the butt fumble play is killing him, he’s a mental midget.

8. sikoix says: Aug 2, 2013 4:36 PM

Wow.

9. audioflint says: Aug 2, 2013 4:38 PM

Player turnover or ball turnover?

10. tommyribs says: Aug 2, 2013 4:39 PM

I agree Sanchez will drastically cut down on turnovers this year.

You can’t turn the ball over when you are sitting on the bench, right?

11. girthbrooks2013 says: Aug 2, 2013 4:41 PM

Mark Sanchez is a stud. Plain and simple. Dude is strong minded and strong willed. Can anyone imagine playing for a Ryan? The thought of it weakens the average guy’s intestinal walls

12. adolfoliverbush says: Aug 2, 2013 4:43 PM

It’s nice he’s deciding not to turn it over now in his fifth year. I think his headband is a little too tight. You can’t deny the man though, when he gets a whiff of the end zone , he will pound it up in there, and by end zone I mean butt

13. ampats says: Aug 2, 2013 4:44 PM

Guess Sanchez wasn’t studying and didn’t understand the play when he ran into Brandon Moore’s backside after Moore was blown up by Wilfork.

Must make Jets fans feel warm & fuzzy hearing Sanchez thinking the blooper play is funny

14. patriots123456 says: Aug 2, 2013 4:49 PM

“”Sanchez says turnover problems all in his mind””

I thought the problem was in his behind (Butt Fumble).

Fumbles aren’t his only problem, interceptions are right up there with the fumbles.

15. mike8016 says: Aug 2, 2013 4:52 PM

He won’t play enough to get 26 turnovers

16. pisano says: Aug 2, 2013 4:57 PM

This guy is clueless, he knows he’s going to be beat out by Geno Smith, so he saying and doing everything he can to try to save himself, but guess what Geno would have to really be inept at the position for that to happen, and from what the media is saying he’s ahead of Sanchez already, and thanks for that, as most Jet fans have had quite enough of Mark (butt fumble ) Sanchez.

17. weepingjebus says: Aug 2, 2013 5:14 PM

I still can’t believe that this guy is probably going to be the Jets QB for another year, and that Ryan is going to be his coach again. Thank you comedy gods!

18. heisthejuan says: Aug 2, 2013 5:24 PM

This guy is a mess.

19. jimthebuilder27 says: Aug 2, 2013 6:06 PM

No, he has learned one thing from his coach…the inability to shut his mouth.

20. blackdonnelly says: Aug 2, 2013 6:08 PM

Well OK, I’ll buy his assessment that “it’s all in his head” yet that buttfumble clip will remain priceless, and for all to see again and again.

Try living THAT down, Mr Sanchez.

21. fdugrad says: Aug 2, 2013 6:33 PM

Actually the turnovers are in the hands of the opposing players. If they were only in his MIND, they wouldn’t be a problem!

22. crystalinadumass says: Aug 2, 2013 7:13 PM

Dude is clearly unstable. What a joke. He didn’t understand his role the last two yrs? Laughable. Geno moving in and I can’t wait til he rides bench like Tebo had to.

23. pancaketaco says: Aug 2, 2013 9:30 PM

Good thing playing QB in the NFL doesn’t require using your mind. Jets fans you sound like you’re in good hands.

24. kev86 says: Aug 2, 2013 10:59 PM

If you root for the Jets do you not want this guy cut after reading that?