Steelers announce knee surgery for Cortez Allen

Cortez Allen AP

Steelers cornerback Cortez Allen was stepping into a bigger role this year, but he won’t be stepping into it for a few weeks.

The Steelers released a statement from coach Mike Tomlin, saying Allen had “minor surgery on his right knee” today.

“We wanted him to get the surgery done now so he can begin rehabilitating immediately,” the statement read. “This surgery was a minor procedure and will have no long-term effects on his return to the field. We look forward to his rehabilitation process and having him back on the field in a couple of weeks.”

Allen, who is replacing free agent departure Keenan Lewis in the starting lineup,  has been sidelined in recent days. If the procedure is as minor as Tomlin says, having him ready before the end of the preseason seems reasonable.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Steelers announce knee surgery for Cortez Allen”
  1. st1llerz1 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:36 PM

Take care of the problem early in camp so he can be ready when the real games start…

GO STEELERS!

2. scoobies05 says: Aug 2, 2013 1:57 PM

get well soon

3. zonex74 says: Aug 2, 2013 2:28 PM

I’d rather him have it now rather then wait like Harrison did last yr and have to miss the beginning of the season.

4. crownofthehelmet says: Aug 2, 2013 3:09 PM

Let’s just hope he can catch better than Keenan. No doubt Lewis has stud potential as a cover corner, but he catches like he has a torn bicep doused in deer antler spray.

5. steelcurtainn says: Aug 2, 2013 3:56 PM

much class scoobs……..too bad some of the other raven fans couldn’t take lessons from you. There will always be bickering as long as some raven fans(you know who you are) post asinine remarks about the steelers on their threads.

6. nflcinbengals says: Aug 2, 2013 4:13 PM

I think Cortez is ready to step into a larger role and succeed immediately, quietly the Steelers always have good nickel corners, get well soon kid!

7. scoobies05 says: Aug 2, 2013 4:16 PM

thanks steel. i love a good arguement as much as anyone, especially ravens vs steelers. but i will never root for injuries. at the end of the day its guys trying to earn a living for them and their families. anyways, until the next debate, be well

8. jmblosser82 says: Aug 2, 2013 4:32 PM

Time for gay to shine. Hopefully it’s a speedy recovery.

9. Nofoolnodrool says: Aug 2, 2013 4:32 PM

0 0 We all know who you are referring to…the guy using an alias.he used to end his post with cheers, but now there is just more hahaha. Eliminate that child and we could actually have some fun.

10. steelcurtainn says: Aug 2, 2013 5:11 PM

@nofool

Thats exactly who I’m referring too. Unfortunately, The debate will never go away and will only be heated as the season nears. Let the games begin.

11. scoobies05 says: Aug 2, 2013 5:26 PM

if i may….dont the debates make this more fun

12. Nofoolnodrool says: Aug 2, 2013 5:50 PM

if i may….dont the debates make this more fun

0 0
    Report comment. X and O’s comment on Lemarr was good scoobie. Get rid of the child called JFM ……debates could be fun once again.

13. scoobies05 says: Aug 2, 2013 6:46 PM

thanks….i liked that one too. i have no control of jmf….but i think you would miss him if he were gone.

14. steelcurtainn says: Aug 2, 2013 7:41 PM

@scoobs

Oh yeah! The debates make it much more fun. I guess, I should have used the word trash talking will never go away. Yep, that’s the appropriate term. Nothing towards you scoob, mostly jmf, as I’m sure you already know. Some of us gotta keep him in line since he’s trolling a steeler thread everyday with his asinine comments. Unfortunately, those comments will continue and so will Steeler fans defending their thread even if its more trash talk. Gotta keep it fun, right.

15. antibenapalooza says: Aug 2, 2013 8:14 PM

The team itself needs another form of surgery, cutting out Rottenberger to restore its health.

16. Deb says: Aug 2, 2013 8:28 PM

Since Tomlin is saying he’ll be back in “a couple of weeks” and our preseason doesn’t start until the 14th, then yes, I’d say he’ll probably be back before the end of preseason … barring complications. Fingers crossed.

17. scoobies05 says: Aug 2, 2013 8:30 PM

no offense taken steel. as passionate as we all are, at the end of the day its just entertainment. as long as folks dont get personal its no harm. i think most of us would actually enjoy each other’s company. but the inapprpriate comments go both ways. youarejealous makes fun of injured players. way uncool. in all xincerity i respect the hell out of the steelers. how could a true football fan not respect what they have done. i just like my team more…lol. looking forward to the season. do u do fantasy?

18. ironman721 says: Aug 3, 2013 8:34 AM

Hopefully he comes back soon. He has one of the toughest jobs on the team opposite Ike. Nice to see classy fans from rival teams. Most of that will change in about a month.

19. Joemontanaflacco says: Aug 3, 2013 8:44 AM

20. steelcurtainn says: Aug 3, 2013 11:13 AM

@scoobs

I haven’t done fantasy before. I hear its a lot of fun though. I do agree in this sport, you don’t make fun of injured players even at your most disliked opponents…….Should be a great season for all football fans……..I Look forward to the debates and trash talk with the usual people.

21. steelcurtainn says: Aug 3, 2013 11:38 AM

“Interesting how more than half theses comments are about me instead of Cortez Allen. Says a lot about Steelers fans and how obsessed they are. Glad I’m not living in your world, crybabies.”

“Obsessed is when you come to a STEELER thread and post foolish things about the Steelers EVERY SINGLE DAY. You really need to push aside your obsession/hatred for the steelers. Let it go, man!

22. bobzilla1001 says: Aug 3, 2013 12:10 PM

This so-called “trash talk” means absolutely without the ability to back up such drivel with some, you know, FACTS. To blindly babble that your favorite team/quarterback is better than someone else’s favorite team/quarterback is BORING and UNINSIGHTFUL.
    Try being objective once in a while. Try thinking with your head instead of with your heart. The best debates are not the ones between giddy groupies but the ones between knowledgeable football fans.

23. scoobies05 says: Aug 3, 2013 12:43 PM

hey bob….while i do agree with you, and look forward to your insights, sometimes some good old trash talk is fun. on a forum such as this, with its anonimity, it gears itself more towards trash talk. however, i woul relish the opportunity for some real honest sports talk with pretty much anyone on here. as i said earlier, i think most of us would actually get along if given a chance. hope u are well

24. scoobies05 says: Aug 3, 2013 12:45 PM

hey steel…fantasy is a lot of fun. i run a league at work, and do another one with a friend. if you ever wanted to try it there are tons of free leagues on the web. great way to keep up with the league

25. bobzilla1001 says: Aug 3, 2013 2:19 PM

scoobies:
    Even though I’m a born-and-raised Steelers fan, I cringe whenever another Steelers fan wants to talk “Steelers football” with me.
    Most of them all say basically the same things. In other words, they repeat what they’ve heard the local media say.
    I get so disgusted with “fans” who use the Sunday NFL experience as an excuse to get drunk. They start drinking early, are totally inebriated before halftimes, then are usually passed out by the third quarters, all of which leaves them at the mercy of the media to be told how and why things happened…
    It’s all very frustrating.
    Hope you are also well, scoobies…

26. Nofoolnodrool says: Aug 3, 2013 3:00 PM

scoobies:
    It’s all very frustrating.
    Hope you are also well, scoobies…

0 0 I think you could insert the name of any fan base in the description from BZilla. I feel bad that he hasn’t found a group to relate to because not ALL steeler fans are that boring…you just have to look harder for THAT group that you can relate too….hope you find it. Don’t live in Pittsburgh and just have my family that I watch games with….so I can relate.

27. scoobies05 says: Aug 3, 2013 3:02 PM

i hear ya bob. i never understood the idea of paying to go to an event, be it a concert, sporting event, etc, and getting liquored up to the point where i dont remember the event. i love sports…always have. i enjoy watching the games unfold and formulating my own ideas as to what happened, and of course rooting for my home teams. i am not impervious to the fact that my teams are perfect…far from it. i guess most of all i enjoy being a fan. after all it really is just entertainment. i hope the upcoming season is enjoyable for you…just not too enjoyable if you know what i mean…haha. be well