Happy, positive Warren Sapp enters Hall of Fame with gratitude

Sapp AP

It’s no secret that former NFL defensive tackle Warren Sapp has a Jekyll-and-Hyde reputation within media circles.  By Mr. Hyde stayed home on Saturday night as Dr. Jekyll took the center stage in Canton and joined the immortals.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me, and I will definitely need him tonight to finish this,” Sapp said at the outset of his speech.

What ensued was a thankful, gracious, magnanimous, and relatively short presentation in which Sapp acknowledged family, teammates, coaches, owners, and his current and former on-air colleagues.

He was giddy at times, especially when pointing out that he’s now wearing a gold jacket, punctuating the thought with an “oh my goodness!”

Sapp concluded with an emotional tribute to his ex-wife.

“Baby, you held me up when nobody else would,” Sapp said, his voice cracking and straining.  “I want to thank you.  You’re my backbone.  All the thanks.  You took care of me.  I want to say I love you and I thank you.”

Earlier in his remarks, Sapp paid tribute to another important woman in his life.

“I never played this game to get to the Hall of Fame,” Sapp said.  “I played this game to retire my mother.”

While it’s unlikely that Sapp’s Mr. Hyde also has been retired, Dr. Jekyll slammed it out of the park on Saturday night.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
45 Responses to “Happy, positive Warren Sapp enters Hall of Fame with gratitude”
  1. youarejealousof6rings says: Aug 3, 2013 10:18 PM

If it were up to true football players, only Steelers would be enshrined.

2. packersownthenorth says: Aug 3, 2013 10:21 PM

He should also apologize to Packers OT Chad Clifton for the ridiculous cheap shot after a turnover. And then for wanting to fight Mike Sherman, head coach of the Packers post-game. Really classy, Warren.

3. cubano76 says: Aug 3, 2013 10:23 PM

He’s a two faced scum bag. Who could play the game better than most. But still a terrible human being.

4. mrjpil says: Aug 3, 2013 10:25 PM

The Warren Sapp that none of really know.

5. rickditka says: Aug 3, 2013 10:25 PM

Warren Sapp… Hall of Fame… C’mon

6. lovefootball4life says: Aug 3, 2013 10:25 PM

New respect for Sapp. Great speech. His story of how he got here is great. Loved the recrutuiting story of drive until it gets dark then you’ll see the sign “Girls, Girls” and I live behind that sign.

7. youarejealousof6rings says: Aug 3, 2013 10:26 PM

Also, Warren, your bust is butt ugly. I hope you find yourself broke in two years at my doorstep, so I can kick you in the chest.

8. onbucky96 says: Aug 3, 2013 10:26 PM

Didn’t watch it. Did the mouth from the south acknowldge Chad Clifton for nearly ending his career w/a legal yet dirty and now banned hit? Did he bring a jersey for Mike Sherman, he coordinates the Dolphins offense now.

9. lushy21 says: Aug 3, 2013 10:27 PM

Enjoy it Warren only a matter of time before Suh is inducted as the greatest DT of all time. Until then keep running your mouth. Congrats though

10. fearless808 says: Aug 3, 2013 10:28 PM

A-Rod is killing the ceremony…

11. cocheese000 says: Aug 3, 2013 10:29 PM

I finally visited Pittsburgh a while back and realized why there are so many steeler fans throughout the country. What an awful city. I guess all of their fans moved out of that s hole

12. youarejealousof6rings says: Aug 3, 2013 10:32 PM

packersownthenorth says:
    Aug 3, 2013 10:21 PM
    ________________________________

Chad Clifton should apologize to Chad Clifton for having lived.

13. koolaidcircusbeast says: Aug 3, 2013 10:33 PM

Chad Clifton was running like a dumb opossum in the road, blind to the freight truck roaring his way.

It wasn’t illegal in the NFL to run over road kill in 2002.

Fair play.

14. seabreezes51 says: Aug 3, 2013 10:33 PM

The Eagles traded up and I was thrilled! Then they took Mamula…

15. andrewluck12 says: Aug 3, 2013 10:34 PM

if you werent just a little emotional after watching warrens speech you must not have a soul

16. tooz72 says: Aug 3, 2013 10:34 PM

loud-mouthed crazy eyes clown..Strahan deserved to go before this loser

17. packerbackernj says: Aug 3, 2013 10:35 PM

Sapp walked off stage, right into a pawn shop to sell the jacket and ring for 7 new pairs of Jordans.

18. spellingcops says: Aug 3, 2013 10:36 PM

A true hall of fame piece of $h!+.

19. moerawn says: Aug 3, 2013 10:36 PM

Sapp is a Sap.

20. gettingpwned says: Aug 3, 2013 10:36 PM

Maybe now he can sell his ring and jacket to get out of bankruptcy. Old, slow & broke.

21. elmustardo says: Aug 3, 2013 10:38 PM

Congrats to the big man. Such a great speech, he deserves it with the way he played. First ballot, you can’t deny he played the game at another level.

Chad Clifton should play until the whistle.

22. lgbarn says: Aug 3, 2013 10:40 PM

packersownthenorth says:
    Aug 3, 2013 10:21 PM

————————————————

Dude…let it go. It is well known that on a turnover players were told to keep their heads on a swivel. This kind of play happened for decades and no one complained. Chad Clifton got caught looking the other way and got punished. Were do you think the term blindside came from?

The rule has been changed and the wussification of football is at hand. Get over it!!!

23. photoguy13 says: Aug 3, 2013 10:41 PM

No way on earth that this guy deserved to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame. Shameful time for the Hall.

24. donth8thehorns says: Aug 3, 2013 10:43 PM

Leave it to a packer to make this moment about some old Green Bay game! Just like your arguments with Viking fans, always living in the past

25. donth8thehorns says: Aug 3, 2013 10:43 PM

Congrats Warren!!!

26. rocketcrab says: Aug 3, 2013 10:44 PM

I wasn’t a big Warren Sapp fan when he played, but tonight he did great. Loved the speech. And youarejealousof6rings, how much of a db are you?

27. cdan374 says: Aug 3, 2013 10:52 PM

All the perfect people on here slamming WS; dude was a beast and deserves to be in the HOF…

Congrats! Now try to keep this positive perspective…

28. malkinrulez says: Aug 3, 2013 10:52 PM

Maybe Clifton should pay attention on the field and Sherman initiated the conversation with Sapp.

29. tigersfandan says: Aug 3, 2013 10:55 PM

A tribute to his ex-wife? Wow! Not many people would do that.

30. acebuccs08 says: Aug 3, 2013 10:59 PM

Even Farve knew it was a clean hit, really unnecessary but clean.

31. shadynasty12 says: Aug 3, 2013 10:59 PM

I don’t get why NFL-SPN force feeds this shart stain to their audience. The only reason I watched was because I knew he’d make an ass of himself. I wasn’t disappointed. If his high school coach was so important to him why wasn’t he there? If him and Dennis Erickson were so close why wasn’t he there? Finally.. It was pathetic watching him trying to force tears as he gave a shout out to his baby mama..

32. whowhatwherefootball says: Aug 3, 2013 11:01 PM

Packersownthenorth obv doesnt hav a competitive bone in his body… And im the biggest packer fan out

33. brooks07 says: Aug 4, 2013 12:00 AM

Did he even mention Monte Kiffin? I don’t think he did.

34. chiefsinmia says: Aug 4, 2013 1:07 AM

Hey any one who played competitive spoorts appreciate he’s playing and and last I check off the field can’t complain. Great job Zapp and anyways it’s all about the U baby fright!!!

35. chi01town says: Aug 4, 2013 1:23 AM

Warren Sapp is supose to go to the HOF for taking out a packer. that play felt good. when Sapp hit that bum I jumped up and said BOOM!!
    he cut him in half. GOOD HIT!!

36. nyg201 says: Aug 4, 2013 7:49 AM

There are more than a handful of retired nfl players that should have gone before Sapp did. It just feels too early for Sapp to be elected.

37. coachbeck says: Aug 4, 2013 7:55 AM

Still sad sapp’s offer from the Bengals was revoked. Would have been nice to see him. In stripes. The raiders were a joke

38. derrickbrooks4president says: Aug 4, 2013 8:29 AM

I was at the ceremony last night. Congratulations Warren. You were our player and a heck of a player you were. Had a great time in the city of Canton. I will be back next year when Derrick Brooks gets in.

39. kev86 says: Aug 4, 2013 8:41 AM

Strahan was awesome.

40. glazerh8er says: Aug 4, 2013 11:28 AM

Kind of like JJ Watt’s season last year should automatically put him in contention, Warren’s season in 1999 alone put him in contention for HOF. May be the best season a DT has ever had. Again, NFC championship game with Shaun King at QB. Score against the “greatest show on turf” was 6-5 in the 4th quarter. And Sapp was the most important player.

41. SouthTexasRaider says: Aug 4, 2013 4:13 PM

Sapp before Tom Flores, the first Hispanic to coach and win TWO Super Bowls??!!?? Are faqhin serious??!??
    Wow!

42. petedutcherjr says: Aug 4, 2013 9:40 PM

Sapp deserved this. For more than the 1999 season. Strahan is a hack. Simeon Rice was better.

43. petedutcherjr says: Aug 4, 2013 9:42 PM

Anyone who doesn’t think Sapp deserved it hasn’t taken the time to look at his accomplishments.

44. clemenza58 says: Aug 5, 2013 7:48 AM

Warren Sapp was an overrated player and adds no value to any broadcast he’s a part of.

45. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 5, 2013 4:44 PM

Wasn’t Sapp in major hot water recently over unpaid child support??