Steelers to break out their throwbacks on November 17

Steelers AP

Last year, the Steelers unveiled perhaps the ugliest alternative uniforms in the history of sports.

They’ll be back again in 2013.

The good news, if there is any, is that the Steelers possibly will be wearing the prison bumblebee look only once this season, on November 17 against the Lions.

Last year, the Steelers wore them twice, in a win over the Redskins and during a loss to the Ravens.

Maybe next year they won’t wear them at all.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
41 Responses to “Steelers to break out their throwbacks on November 17”
  1. pnut87 says: Aug 3, 2013 3:10 PM

There’s a reason teams moved on from some of these old unis. These give those brown Bronco suits a run for their money.

2. elwaysagenius says: Aug 3, 2013 3:12 PM

Ben personally asked for the prison stripe feel, stating “I should probably be in these anyways”

3. briscocountyjr says: Aug 3, 2013 3:15 PM

Maybe the most innovative way I’ve seen a team alienate their fanbase– kudos!

4. Stiller43 says: Aug 3, 2013 3:22 PM

Actually, besides the pants, i quite like them…

5. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 3, 2013 3:23 PM

The best part is the helmets with the furry antennae waving around when they run.

6. Nofoolnodrool says: Aug 3, 2013 3:24 PM

elwaysagenius says:
    Aug 3, 2013 3:12 PM

8 0 I see your mortician is still co authoring your posts…time to get a new one with better material.

As a fan of the steelers those unis are horrible and do remind me of the old donkey unis.

7. fyreandnice says: Aug 3, 2013 3:28 PM

Ay, ay, ay! No es bueno!

8. wearethechampsandyourenot says: Aug 3, 2013 3:33 PM

the pittsburgh bumblebees won’t win 6 games

9. z06vision says: Aug 3, 2013 3:37 PM

God, those uniforms are ugly! Good thing we got 6 :)

10. getyourownname says: Aug 3, 2013 3:43 PM

Too bad they aren’t using them a few weeks earlier, then the players would not have to spring for separate Halloween costumes.

11. nirvana504 says: Aug 3, 2013 3:43 PM

Everything about Pittsburg is ugly

12. hakunamangata says: Aug 3, 2013 3:45 PM

Are the Lions contractually obligated to play against each teams worse possible jersey? Remember they did play against the powder blue and yellow eagles a few years back.

Haven’t those fans suffered enough?

13. romoscollarbone says: Aug 3, 2013 3:47 PM

I don’t mind them, they are celebrating the past.

14. shadowcell says: Aug 3, 2013 3:51 PM

If Goodell is gonna fine anyone for anything, he should fine the Steelers for wearing those godawful things. That’s unnecessary roughness against the eyes of the viewing public.

15. scoobies05 says: Aug 3, 2013 3:56 PM

no offense to any of my steeler friends…but those are hideous

16. jobotjones says: Aug 3, 2013 3:59 PM

Some of the guys pull them off better than others and make them look good. But I still think they need a 1970s throwback.

17. sellout1983 says: Aug 3, 2013 4:00 PM

Good God those are horrible. As a fan, I generally like the throwbacks, but only if they LOOK GOOD. Really, who is making the calls on these uniforms??

The Chargers powder blue, the 90’s Rams, and the 80’s Eagles all look terrific. Denver needs to bring back their Orange Crush uniforms for a game too.

18. kilo0986 says: Aug 3, 2013 4:04 PM

Personally I don’t think they look as bad as the media loves to portray them to be. And I don’t let public opinion change the way I feel about things. That being said, I’ve actually grown to like them and am looking forward to seeing them play with them again.

19. blueberrymuffin11 says: Aug 3, 2013 4:07 PM

Sweet fancy Moses! I love my Steelers but those are horrendous! Our only hope is that the Lions get dizzy watching us run around in them.

20. eagles512 says: Aug 3, 2013 4:08 PM

Horrible

21. youarejealousof6rings says: Aug 3, 2013 4:17 PM

Here we go Steelers, here we go! You’re jealous?

Pittsburgh was not built in a day.

22. iced107 says: Aug 3, 2013 4:26 PM

Does anyone else not think this is a hilarious little jab at the lions and their personnel?

Wearing Jail house uni’s…. lol…

23. easydog100 says: Aug 3, 2013 4:29 PM

As a Browns’ fan, I have great respect for the Steeler organization, but those unis are hideous. Really? An eye test for astigmatism.

24. blkgld4lifer says: Aug 3, 2013 4:46 PM

They still look better than cleveland poop stain colored uniforms. lol

25. blkgld4lifer says: Aug 3, 2013 4:49 PM

I still like the black jersey with the yellow stripes with white pants and gold helmet of a couple of seasons ago best. I don’t know why they deviated from that classic look. I play it all the time on Madden.

26. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Aug 3, 2013 4:53 PM

Like I’ve said many times, why don’t they just trot out their block letter unis from the 70’s-90’s? Those were tight – and didn’t look completely buffoonish.

27. nokittycat says: Aug 3, 2013 4:57 PM

All I can say is that my life is pretty plain
    I like watching the puddles gather rain
    And all I can do is just pour some tea for two
    And speak my point of view
    But it’s not sane
    It’s not sane

28. ravensenvysteelers says: Aug 3, 2013 5:02 PM

I was shocked when I first saw them but think they are pretty cool. However I’m glad they are wearing them only once this year.

29. prmpft says: Aug 3, 2013 5:39 PM

I kinda like those – but I’m also glad my SAINTS don’t have similar unis…although our throwbacks throw us back to some pretty hard times…

30. ravensbob says: Aug 3, 2013 5:55 PM

Those looked really bad on a playoff team. Imagine how bad they will look on a 5-11 team?!

31. steelsity says: Aug 3, 2013 5:57 PM

Anyone else see their yellow practice jerseys? I wouldn’t mind seeing those on game day

32. erikinhell says: Aug 3, 2013 6:09 PM

That’s why the Browns have the best uniforms. They look as good today as in the 1950s.

33. antibenapalooza says: Aug 3, 2013 6:13 PM

A team management that chooses to retain Rottenberger after 03/05/10 is capable of other idiotic decisions, as we see here.

Signed,

A Damn Yankee (Deb knows what this means)

34. rcali says: Aug 3, 2013 6:18 PM

Oh dear no. What are they trying to prove? I mean people can’t actually be buying this crap…..right? Please tell me you’re smarter than that Pitt fans.

35. endzone says: Aug 3, 2013 8:10 PM

They are wearing them again because they are superstitious football players. They won in those crazy costumes last year which by their illogical, magical thinking brings them to only one conclusion: they must wear them again this year daggummit!! if they want to get a W.

36. Nofoolnodrool says: Aug 3, 2013 8:28 PM

1 0 but hey they will look good on this years ravens.

37. n001363 says: Aug 3, 2013 9:34 PM

To Steelers Management: these uniforms are so hideous they make the game unwatchable. I throw up a little in my mouth when highlights of the game are showed. You should be fined by the rest of the league for damaging the NFL brand. STOP wearing them!

38. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 4, 2013 10:01 AM

Look it’s OK to go back to 1977 with jerseys but not 1800. Come on keep it real.

39. Joemontanaflacco says: Aug 4, 2013 2:24 PM

Anything to distract the fans from another dismal season. These gimmicks are beyond sad.

40. southcarolinamike says: Aug 4, 2013 4:10 PM

I’d rather have a “Future” uniform weekend where we get to see what the team’s uniforms might look like in 10 years.

41. steelcurtainn says: Aug 5, 2013 12:05 AM

Love the throwbacks but only for a game or two. Would have love to see the steelers steamroll the ravens instead of lions this game.