With humor and respect, Larry Allen says thanks

larry allen ap AP

Early in his speech upon being inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Larry Allen joked about having to having to address the audience.

“During my career, I didn’t talk that much. I didn’t have to — I used my helmet,” Allen said.

If anyone needed another reminder about how the former Cowboys offensive guard played, they got it.

The 6-foot-3, 325-pound Allen was voted into the Hall of Fame on his first try, and with good reason. Such was Allen’s dominance that he was voted to the NFL’s All-Decade Team of the 1990s and the 2000s. He made 11 Pro Bowls, nine for the Cowboys, for whom he became a household name — hardly easy for an interior lineman.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones presented Allen, the No. 46 overall pick in the 1994 draft — the first draft after Jimmy Johnson’s departure from Dallas.

“He’s taken advantage of every opportunity that he’s ever gotten,” Jones said of Allen.

In his induction speech, Allen, who showed visible emotion, thanked a long list of family and former teammates.

He also mixed in some good humor. When he thanked his wife — “my heart and soul” — he recalled their first date.

“She cooked me two chickens, french fries, baked me a cake and gave me a 40-ounce,” he said, laughing. “I knew then that was my wife right there.”

Allen also recalled how struggling against the late Reggie White drove him to get even stronger.

“I have never been dominated like that before in my life. So I got in that weight room and became the strongest man in the NFL,” Allen said.

The crowd applauded. And then, Allen, chuckling, said:  “I did it naturally, all right?”

He added, “You know, it’s funny — once I benched 700 pounds, they tested me twice a week for the rest of my career.” He punctuated this with a laugh, a common sound in a memorable speech.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “With humor and respect, Larry Allen says thanks”
  1. abninf says: Aug 3, 2013 9:17 PM

As a Pittsburgh Steeler fan I can say that pretty soon they’ll have to call it the Dallas Cowboys Hall Of Fame at the rate their players are being inducted. I’m open minded enough to know that they are the greatest organization in NFL history.

2. aaroncurryisbust says: Aug 3, 2013 9:45 PM

One of my favorite linemen. Allen was the gold standard for guards during his career.

3. bigblu73 says: Aug 3, 2013 9:50 PM

Absolutely loved his induction Speech!!! Class Act and one of the main reasons Emmitt Smith is the all-time rushing leader!!

4. richndc says: Aug 4, 2013 12:40 AM

The man is pure class. It was never all about him, I wish there were still players like him in the NFL these days. I really do. Proud he is a Cowboy.

5. therealhardt says: Aug 4, 2013 1:11 AM

Larry Allen didn’t need to talk during his career, his performance on the field spoke volumes.

6. chrisnyg says: Aug 4, 2013 1:36 AM

Great player!

7. johnsteph1 says: Aug 4, 2013 7:08 AM

Allen played on some bad teams too. I remember they needed a left tackle and they just moved Allen out there in training camp and he became the best left tackle in football. How many teams would attempt that with having the best guard in the league and moving him out of his position? They knew he was special and could handle it.

8. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 4, 2013 9:58 AM

Word was that Allen would say very little but actually he said a lot and I thought it was the best speech of the night.

He spoke from his heart and injected some humor too like the comment about getting stronger without help from PEDs.

Big L.A. was a tough nasty player but what I think made him great was his burning desire to compete.

9. dirtybird28 says: Aug 4, 2013 10:42 AM

He might be the greatest Cowboy ever. So underrated in many circles still. Definitely my favorite Cowboy, along with Darren Woodson.

10. scalfor3 says: Aug 4, 2013 12:56 PM

ESPN gave all the attention to Sapp and Carter, but Ogden and Allen were the headliners of this year’s class for me