Source: Bulaga has torn ACL

Bulaga Getty Images

We’re still several days away from the first full weekend of preseason action, and yet another player is done for the duration.

Per a league source, Packers left tackle Bryan Bulaga has indeed suffered a torn ACL in his knee.

The injury happened during Saturday night’s intra-squad scrimmage.  Bulaga didn’t miss a rep, but he complained about a problem with the knee after the practice.

Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel first reported that Bulaga has a knee injury, and that the team feared it could end his season.

A first-round pick in 2010, Bulaga was moved from right tackle to left tackle during the offseason as the Packers try to improve an offensive line that allowed 51 sacks of quarterback Aaron Rodgers in 2012.

Permalink 81 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
81 Responses to “Source: Bulaga has torn ACL”
  1. jhein23 says: Aug 4, 2013 11:56 PM

More posts from happy Vikings fans about Jared Allen when Bulaga didn’t even play against them last year he was already out for the season last year before any of the Minnesota games.

2. raider23mike says: Aug 4, 2013 11:56 PM

Yep!! They’re done

3. jeremywflores says: Aug 4, 2013 11:57 PM

Looks like Rodgers is going to have to make some more incredible throws on the run again

4. ricestillfumbled says: Aug 4, 2013 11:57 PM

Just great

5. clayme52 says: Aug 4, 2013 11:57 PM

Here we go again with the Packer injuries…

6. brent1395 says: Aug 4, 2013 11:58 PM

Jared Allen is licking his chops.

7. commonsensedude says: Aug 4, 2013 11:59 PM

Horrible. I can’t remember another preseason with so many guys getting ACLs.

8. elliottcovert says: Aug 4, 2013 11:59 PM

Will Aaron Rodgers now set a single season record for most sacks suffered?

9. discosucs2005 says: Aug 5, 2013 12:06 AM

I was a huge fan of him in college, I didn’t think he’d make a good pro, but he was really improving and I’m bummed to see him go down, even as a 49er fan.

10. mark0226 says: Aug 5, 2013 12:07 AM

Do you think the reason for so many injuries is because they are taking it too easy earlier on in OTA and training camp and then when they start going full speed, their bodies are not ready for it yet?

11. kolbydoerge says: Aug 5, 2013 12:09 AM

As a Seahawk fan no one wants to see this.
    I hear the 49ers had something to do with it……

12. jimmysee says: Aug 5, 2013 12:14 AM

This is depressing. For Packers fans. For Rodgers.

13. vikescry1 says: Aug 5, 2013 12:15 AM

here we go again… so frustrating.

14. puntonfirstdown says: Aug 5, 2013 12:17 AM

Crap.

15. faithful209er says: Aug 5, 2013 12:17 AM

Uh-oh. Aldon Smith week one……..

16. darkneptune73 says: Aug 5, 2013 12:25 AM

The ACL injury is the bubonic plague of 2013. No one is safe.

17. monkeyhateclean says: Aug 5, 2013 12:28 AM

Was he a good offensive lineman? Its hard to tell, because its the Packers.

18. norcalmafia says: Aug 5, 2013 12:31 AM

What the hell is going on?

19. inthompsonwetrust says: Aug 5, 2013 12:33 AM

This hurts. As a Packer fan, I hope rookie David Bakhtari is as good as advertised in the local media because Rodgers can’t go another year with Marshall Newhouse at LT. Barclay can hold it down at RT and Newhouse can be the top reserve.

20. twesty85 says: Aug 5, 2013 12:33 AM

Just when you thought their offensive line couldn’t get any worse.Erin will represent the black and blue division well when he’s black and blue all season long.

21. markchmurasbabysitter says: Aug 5, 2013 12:34 AM

Who is going to try to stop Jared Allen now? Better roll right.

22. whatwhat2013 says: Aug 5, 2013 12:35 AM

Are there are a lot of injuries this preseason or is it because we are in the internet age and PFT reports every injury to any player to include waterboys.

23. lks311 says: Aug 5, 2013 12:42 AM

As a Lions’ fan, I am very sorry to hear this. We all want to beat the crap out of the Pack, but, with most of their key personnel intact.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for Bulaga and that there is a competent back-up waiting in the wings.

24. unbiasfan says: Aug 5, 2013 12:50 AM

Even as the Packer bashing Viking fan that I am…I don’t wish injuries on anybody, hoping for a speedy recovery for Buluga

25. youallrfools says: Aug 5, 2013 12:54 AM

Bummer for Packas fans. Last thing Green Bay needed was losing talent on the o-line.

Now the real question is how many more times is Arodge gonna get rocked facing the North d-lines? He already was set to lead the league…

26. albinorhino49 says: Aug 5, 2013 1:06 AM

Not good. This O-line has had it’s struggles. I was hoping for the Pack and my 49ers at full strength for week 1. But oh well, make a speedy but full recovery Bulaga.

27. allday28mvpmvp says: Aug 5, 2013 1:12 AM

uh oh the akready fragile Band-Aid that GB calls an O-line has torn! Rodgers will be getting hit a lot regardless, SACK TIME

28. hopper15 says: Aug 5, 2013 1:16 AM

and they have to deal with Aldon&Justin Smith week one. ouch

29. brewcrewfan54 says: Aug 5, 2013 1:17 AM

Damn it!

30. jamesundeee says: Aug 5, 2013 1:19 AM

What is that, like 10 season ending injuries already?

31. asublimeday says: Aug 5, 2013 1:22 AM

Ah, well that line was already so stellar, I’m sure they’ll just shift over one of their many pro bowlers.

32. chemicaltoilet says: Aug 5, 2013 1:22 AM

I thought the Packers offensive line has always been awful but now this…Good luck blocking Jared Allen, Brian Robison, Kevin Williams, and Sharrif Floyd oh and Everson Griffen.. SKOL!

33. chi01town says: Aug 5, 2013 1:30 AM

Yea thats one down! Rodgers is going to get killed. Next man up? hahaha the packers better have a spair LT laying around

34. andrewluck12 says: Aug 5, 2013 1:34 AM

rodgers is responsible for about half his own sacks

35. iceburgskin202 says: Aug 5, 2013 1:36 AM

Never wanna see players lost to meaningless games(scrimmages) get well soon!!! #nflfan

36. gopackgo1884 says: Aug 5, 2013 1:39 AM

Boy oh boy … talk about a black cloud over this offensive-line in Green Bay. I see looming trouble ahead for this group, as Sherrod is nowhere near playing , Bulaga is done for the year, and Newhouse is a 3rd string LT at best. Ted might need to move the rook david bakhtiari to LT and start Donny Barclay at RT.

Any chance we pull the trigger on Branden Albert!!?

51 sacks might be a midway stat with this group of journey-men protecting A-Rod.

37. donth8thehorns says: Aug 5, 2013 1:43 AM

Ouch!!! As a fan of Football & your Rival Vikings, these injuries just stink for the game! Hope he has a solid recovery!!! Good luck from across the border!

38. ee00ee says: Aug 5, 2013 1:44 AM

This Lions fan hates to hear this. Sure I enjoy seeing pressure on Rogers I don’t want it at the expense of a great guy like Bulaga. Let’s hope he has a full recovery.

39. packownsu says: Aug 5, 2013 2:00 AM

Next Man Up!

40. fluffy19 says: Aug 5, 2013 2:02 AM

Die hard vikes fan here, just checking headlines before bed. Saw this and immediately recoiled and said “oh no” (only I swore). I never like to see these types of injuries…especially in pre season. With percy there was a bit of proetic justice involved. This just sucks. Let’s hope he makes a fully and speedy recovery, and my fellow vikings fans keep it classy. Skol!

41. logical1voicesays says: Aug 5, 2013 2:15 AM

Must be a whale of a tear.

42. lionsdraftguy says: Aug 5, 2013 2:21 AM

As a lions fan, I hate to see that stuff happen to teams like that. Unless its the 49ers. No one wants to lose their left tackle.

43. keramidas21 says: Aug 5, 2013 2:25 AM

Ugh.

44. larryboodry says: Aug 5, 2013 2:33 AM

For what it’s worth coming from a Bears fan, I’m sorry to see this happen…Hope he comes back better than ever next year.

45. sportnorcal says: Aug 5, 2013 3:02 AM

It’s like every team has to lose at least one starter to an ACL tear. Brutal training camp thus far for the top teams.

46. rationalitybias says: Aug 5, 2013 3:27 AM

Lifelong Bears fan, but he is key to that line. Besides the fact the LT has to deal with Allen and Peppers twice a year.
    How he played through it and complained only about “a problem” without immediately writhing in pain is beyond me. Hate to see anyone injured, regardless of team.

47. squared80 says: Aug 5, 2013 3:39 AM

Not like the guy was a superstar, but that bad O-Line just got worse. Poor Aaron.

48. opietaylor says: Aug 5, 2013 4:09 AM

Bummer for GB

49. mnmarine0351 says: Aug 5, 2013 4:16 AM

Guy must be pretty hard to barely notice the injury until well after. Pack seem to deal well with injuries but their line already sucked. Rather my Vikes beat the best they can field and not some backups

50. 28for20 says: Aug 5, 2013 5:20 AM

Oh, Oh! Looks like it will be 70+ sacks this year!

51. vegaskid21 says: Aug 5, 2013 6:31 AM

They sure don’t make ACLs like they use too.

52. DonKellyBaby says: Aug 5, 2013 6:54 AM

Lions will win the NFC North this season

53. zoxitic says: Aug 5, 2013 6:58 AM

How many people were at the scrimmage to watch that?

54. dcviking says: Aug 5, 2013 7:04 AM

No joy in these type of injuries for any team.
    Hope he heals fast and recovers quickly.

55. clemenza58 says: Aug 5, 2013 7:42 AM

Even with the reduction in padded practices, it seems like season ending injuries in camp are on the rise. Can happen to anyone at anytime. That’s the reality of football.

56. kerryc21realty says: Aug 5, 2013 7:45 AM

About time we stop blaming the redskins field

57. sully54 says: Aug 5, 2013 8:04 AM

As a football fan I hate to see any team lose a key player to a significant injury.

I’m a life long Lions fan and as a result I don’t care for the Packers and Aaron Rodgers in particular. (As a player, not as a person) He is the one that will likely bear the brunt of this loss in a division that is loaded at the RDE spot. As much as I covet seeing Rodgers blindsided hard and getting up looking out of the ear-hole of his helmet, I’m not happy to see such a thing happen.

I’m Saddened for the Mr. Bulaga, the Packers and their fans today. I hate it when injuries like this happen.

58. stayclassyasheville says: Aug 5, 2013 8:06 AM

Hey Packer fans, buy some more fake stock! Remember how Seattle’s pass rush killed Rodgers last season? No pass protection whatsoever. Me thinks Jared Allen, Suh & Julius Peppers are sharpening their teeth now.

59. taydogg29 says: Aug 5, 2013 8:08 AM

Julius Peppers is will be like a kid at the candy store.

60. qwerty007qwerty007 says: Aug 5, 2013 8:21 AM

Is it just me or does getting through the pre-season without any injuries to key players/starters seem to be an accomplishment all in itself.

OK – if you lose a player during the regular season, at least it happened while in the line of fire. But before you even play a pre-season game?? Ouch.

61. ddweer says: Aug 5, 2013 8:43 AM

I hate hearing about injuries like this in preseason. Hope he comes back strong.

On another note, I bet Arun Rodgers is regretting those discount double check commercials right about now! He is going to be taunted every time he gets planted….couldn’t happen to a nicer guy!

62. sbchampsagain says: Aug 5, 2013 8:45 AM

“The injury happened during Saturday night’s intra-squad scrimmage. Bulaga didn’t miss a rep, but he complained about a problem with the knee after the practice.”

Wow. What a bad mama-jama. Tears his ACL and continues to play. I’da been crying to momma. These NFL guys are ridiculous.

63. stellarperformance says: Aug 5, 2013 8:48 AM

The greatest predictor of the future is the past. The Packers have recovered and prevailed under more difficult circumstances than this. This stuff happens.

Next man up.

64. globalaxd says: Aug 5, 2013 9:05 AM

Wow. He is the guy the Packers could least afford to lose outside of Rodgers and maybe Matthews.

The Pack year after year seem to have the most injuries to their team. At some point you have to ask what is going on with the medical staff there.

65. wearethechampsandyourenot says: Aug 5, 2013 9:21 AM

you know your a Green Bay Packer when youre made of plastic

66. seandconner says: Aug 5, 2013 9:26 AM

You would think that with how “easy” (I say that because it is easier this year than in previous years), this has to play some part in the ACL injuries thus far. Or are the players not keeping their conditioning up, especially the o-linemen/d-linemen during the offseason? I hope it isn’t just a fact of being lazy when you are not playing but wow their seem to be quite a few of these.

67. seandconner says: Aug 5, 2013 9:27 AM

BTW, I was referring to training camps…….

68. fargovikesfan says: Aug 5, 2013 9:48 AM

tough luck for him and the team. Hate to see anyone get injured, regardless of who they play for. Hope he has a speedy recovery

69. jcampshure says: Aug 5, 2013 9:51 AM

I used about every cuss word I know when I saw these rumors swirling last night. This is a HUGE blow for the Pack. I can’t take another season of Newhouse, I think we need to give Bakhtiari a chance to win the spot this preseason.

70. aldante66 says: Aug 5, 2013 9:57 AM

First, I really like Bulaga. He’s a great kid. Wish him well.
    I for one am really wondering about their conditioning or lack of team. They had 16 people, albeit a few had bumps and bruises only, but 16 people sit out the scrimmage. They had seven people on the PUP list on day one of training camp. Some with injuries that will go into the first week of the season.

There is something seriously wrong here. If I had to guess its they spent very little on professional trainers and conditioning people and they draft a lot of late rounders other passed on due to injury problems in college.

The Packers just have to live with it. I still have them 6-10 with or without Buluga.

71. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Aug 5, 2013 9:58 AM

I hate to see anyone get hurt like this and I hope he makes a full recovery. But why is it every year we keep hearing about how bad the Packers’ offensive line is? Shouldn’t the great Ted Thompson have been able to put together a competent offensive line by this time? It’s tough to just say “Next man up” when the next man up is probably going to be the left tackle equivalent of Vince Young.

72. purpleguy says: Aug 5, 2013 10:25 AM

ACL injuries are a bummer — isn’t this his second season ending knee injury?

73. pillowporkers says: Aug 5, 2013 10:37 AM

Terrible news for Bulaga, but how many times is Ted Thompson going to get caught with his pants down regarding his oline? Every year, their oline sucks and the packers say it will improve, and every year they refuse to address it and lack depth across its entirety.

74. vikesindividual says: Aug 5, 2013 11:21 AM

first of all, i’d never root for an injury. ever. i feel terrible for Bulaga and his family and i wish him a speedy recovery.

that said, and this is going to tick of Packers fans, but i really wasn’t worried about him. the Pack o-line was in shambles anyway. if you have to move your ENTIRE right side of the line to the left side, that’s a VERY bad sign. those two guys were on the right side to begin with for a reason. Bulaga fell to the Packers in the first round for the same reason: He’s a RT, not a LT.

Bulaga’s a good RT, but had no business on the left side anyway. Rodgers is going to have to be Superman this year, even more than usual.

75. themackstrong says: Aug 5, 2013 12:21 PM

I’m sorry Packer fans I hate young talented guys that are close to proving themselves go down for season ending injuries. Big men it takes more time than most to get back and play but I hope he recovers fully and becomes the starting tackle he looks to be.

76. themagicfanguy says: Aug 5, 2013 12:22 PM

@pillow What?!? Thompson refuses to address it?
    How about selecting Bulaga and Sherrod in the first round a few years back, not to mention Datko, Bahktiari, and some others I’ve forgotten.
    Sometimes picks don’t work out, even for a great GM like TT. Injuries happen, we’ll deal with it and still win the North.

77. arwiv says: Aug 5, 2013 12:49 PM

lol. “as a fan of (whatever team) I hate to hear about an injury like this”. what a bunch of nonsense. I bet none of you guys has ever cheered when your team has knocked out the opposing QB in a game either, right? give it a rest you clowns…..you want your team to win; if a key player suffering an injury helps in that cause, you know darn well you aren’t upset about it. this guy isn’t going to die, his career isn’t over, he’ll be back; be honest with yourselves and stop telling packer’s fans how “sad” you are….you know very well that you aren’t.

78. niallofthenine says: Aug 5, 2013 12:56 PM

Here comes Ziggy!!

79. hitemhard215 says: Aug 5, 2013 1:36 PM

2 years in a row for a promising lineman….

80. filthymcnasty1 says: Aug 5, 2013 5:41 PM

The Packers beat the hapless, tasteless Vikings twice last year without Bulaga, so this doesn’t impact their division chances at all.

81. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Aug 5, 2013 7:19 PM

For anyone who doesn’t know what’s up, Bakhtiari (the rook) will be a starter. Bakh can ball.

And Newhouse may be replaced at some point by Barclay. They’ve been disappointed with Newhouse.