Matt Leinart replaces Vince Young on PFT’s All-Unemployed Team

56102108 Getty Images

With Vince Young reportedly to join the Packers, PFT’s All-Unemployed Team needed a new quarterback.

Like Young, our new quarterback was a member of the vaunted 2006 draft class of collegiate passers.

Yes, we’ve added Matt Leinart to the All-Unemployed Team, which also has two new receivers and a new cornerback.

But back to Leinart.

Leinart, like Young, turned 30 this spring, which is just about the trillionth reminder that we all turn old and grey, so let’s not belabor the point, but we all remember when they were younger, when Leinart’s USC just crushed teams — but not Young’s Texas team in the 2006 Rose Bowl. When Young scored the touchdown to clinch the national title against Southern Cal and walked out of the endzone with the ball tucked in his left arm . . . well, there are poker faces, and there is Vince Young walking away with that ball as if he were strolling down the block to give it back to a kid who accidentally left it on his lawn.

That was Young’s final collegiate game, and it capped Leinart’s USC career, too. Leinart, as you surely remember, stayed for his senior season at Southern Cal, which may well have cost him a few draft spots and some money in the end. But we do this: it’s part of his legacy now, and it’s kind of neat no matter happened thereafter. I mean, I can’t imagine what it’s like to be the star quarterback at USC. Who would want to leave, really?

Today, Young is hoping to stick in Green Bay, and today, Leinart is without a team, but they will always have 2005, which is more than most of us get.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
28 Responses to “Matt Leinart replaces Vince Young on PFT’s All-Unemployed Team”
  1. jamesonkersey says: Aug 5, 2013 11:40 PM

Please both these guys where hyped to the max and were both thuds. Jay cutler was the star qb of that class and that says a lot for the character of the 2006 draft class.

2. randomcommenter says: Aug 5, 2013 11:52 PM

Young is there to play Kaepernick in practice. Green Bay’s first game is SF. Young may get cut right before the season when they are done with him.

3. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Aug 6, 2013 12:02 AM

Aside from Jay Cutler, the most successful quarterback from that draft is Tarvaris Jackson.

4. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 6, 2013 12:04 AM

It’s the system in G.B. Any scrub looks great there. Look at Flynn. Young will be a hot item again soon.

5. fordmandalay says: Aug 6, 2013 12:18 AM

He could start for the Jests tomorrow.

6. jimmylions says: Aug 6, 2013 12:31 AM

Green Bay is a great situation for Young, provided that Rodgers doesn’t get hurt. Young needs some time to get his act together without any pressure to produce. This is perfect for him.

7. tangledupinblue12 says: Aug 6, 2013 1:06 AM

They also each have like 7 seasons of getting paid NFL cash, which is more than most of us get.

I mean, I don’t want to brag but I worked at Blockbuster in college.

*Silently cries*

8. ken2016 says: Aug 6, 2013 1:21 AM

Tebow will be following in his (Leinart) footsteps! #so will Sanchez!

9. bobhk says: Aug 6, 2013 1:41 AM

The pic is quite cool: two NFL losers together.

10. 49erdynasty says: Aug 6, 2013 1:53 AM

Fitting.

11. billmead1976 says: Aug 6, 2013 2:11 AM

2005 actually didn’t happen for Marty according to the NCAA. It was vacated.

12. aaroncurryisbust says: Aug 6, 2013 2:28 AM

I will never forget that Rose Bowl. The hype was palpable in the air for days preceding the game, and it absolutely lived up to the hype.

13. 33dabears33 says: Aug 6, 2013 2:44 AM

If Rex Grossman can be a 3rd string qb for the Skins then how can this guy not get a backup job. The Football God’s should give this guy a break after what happened on October 16 2006 week 6 on MNF. I remember it like it was yesterday. #BearDown

14. howintensive says: Aug 6, 2013 3:44 AM

I look back at this draft class, and at the time I thought it would be the deepest, most heralded draft class ever. There were so many college superstars. Now the only players in the top 10 of that draft who are top-tier players now are Mario Williams, Vernon Davis, and D’Brickshaw Ferguson. And these players are debatably great, at best.

15. richdaddy1231 says: Aug 6, 2013 4:47 AM

Both of them are scrubs packers must need a camp arm, and linert won’t be playing ever again

16. drfeelyouup says: Aug 6, 2013 6:55 AM

Ha. Matt Leinart. I remember that skid mark.

17. seabreezes51 says: Aug 6, 2013 7:13 AM

Dream team!

18. packh8er says: Aug 6, 2013 7:25 AM

I figured for sure it would be Jeff George since every year or so he likes to tell us how he can still play.

19. morenophoto says: Aug 6, 2013 7:37 AM

Interesting ending to this story. I was reminded by a friend how some college players simply are just that–great college players. Their legacy was never meant to be the NFL and that’s OK. I think about some of the tremendous collegiate careers of some athletes who never even sniffed NFL greatness. Sometimes I wonder if they would have had success in the NFL, but then some of those college memories are so priceless, I’d hate to have them muddied by the meat grinder of a pro career.

20. touchdownroddywhite says: Aug 6, 2013 7:59 AM

I don’t care how great your best days were, if they’re behind you, it’s a sad commentary on your life.

21. jpaq68 says: Aug 6, 2013 8:11 AM

There’s always Buffalo …..

22. redbullenergydrink says: Aug 6, 2013 8:37 AM

who would have guessed in 2006 that BOTH these guys would be busts… SMH

23. cometkazie says: Aug 6, 2013 9:14 AM

Some player peak in high school, others in college, still others in the pros.

I don’t think it really should matter as long as you are doing your best. I played club football at the secondary level and will not forget the experience.

Living up to other’s expectations can be difficult.

I suppose since none of us played in the NFL, we are all busts. ;)

24. abninf says: Aug 6, 2013 9:19 AM

“but they will always have 2005, which is more than most of us get.”
    ===================================

Yeah but today I have more money than Young. I hope Matt has spent his wisely.

25. bach2112 says: Aug 6, 2013 9:38 AM

Hope that dance class was worth the millions he lost not entering the draft while he was hot.

26. nananatman says: Aug 6, 2013 11:01 AM

Betcha Matt still has money in the bank that belongs to him.

27. throwedoff1 says: Aug 6, 2013 7:37 PM

Repent to thee and forever hold your schlong in your hand I demand you

28. ipublius99 says: Aug 11, 2013 11:39 PM

There’s so much poison spread here by nattering nabobs of negativism! Most of y’all probably can’t even throw a spiral or finish a 100 yard dash in 15 seconds (well at least I CAN throw a spiral-just not real far!). First of all there’s a huge difference between being a QB in the pros and college. Obviously not all college stars excel in the pros due to many factors. I believe the pro QB mindset is NOT easily attained. Unless a college QB is “gifted” he will need to have a system to learn and excel in as well as have skilled coaches who will hone his abilities and mental acuity. In Leinart’s case I’m going to guess and say he has the basic skills and coordination but probably lacks nerves of steel a QB needs to make the correct decisions. As for Vince Young 1) his throwing mechanics demean his passing ability. 2)his Wonderlic score was deemed “low” by NFL scouts and watchers which could’ve had a negative effect on his reception in the NFL. Moreover, several incidents during his tenure a Tennessee also point to a lack of mental and emotional toughness. Still both men have been excellent athletes and achieved a special place in college football. Before all you haters judge them, HONESTLY ask yourself: are you such an elite athlete that you could accomplish more than these guys were able to ?