Off the field, Tim Tebow is a star at Patriots training camp

Tim Tebow, Tom Brady AP

Tim Tebow may not even make the Patriots’ 53-man roster, but he does lead the team in one statistic in training camp: autographs signed.

Tebow has gone from traded away by the Broncos to cut by the Jets to just trying to make the team with the Patriots, but the Boston Globe has a lengthy story detailing the extent to which Tebow remains a star in the eyes of many fans who have attended Patriots camp solely to catch a glimpse of him.

One such fan, a disabled 15-year-old girl named Madelin Beardsley, traveled 600 miles with her family to cheer Tebow on during a Patriots practice. When Tebow stayed afterward to talk to the family, it made Madelin’s day.

“A handful of players signed autographs for Madelin,” Madelin’s father said. “Tebow was the only one to ask her name. I can’t tell you what that meant to her. There’s something about him, something that can make someone feel so special. Even if they meet for 10 seconds.”

Tebow stays after practice to sign autographs almost every day, sometimes for as long as 45 minutes at a time, and if he leaves before he has signed for every fan, it’s usually because he has to go to a team meeting. Tebow said he’s just doing what some of his players did for him when he was a kid.

“It’s a very little thing that can go a long way,” Tebow said. “I know, because when I was a young boy and I got Danny Wuerffel’s autograph, or Emmitt Smith’s autograph, what it meant to me. You want to be a good role model, someone that a young boy or young girl can look up to.”

No matter what he does on the field, Tebow has a lot of boys and girls — not to mention grown men and women — who love him.

Permalink 78 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
78 Responses to “Off the field, Tim Tebow is a star at Patriots training camp”
  1. bears47 says: Aug 5, 2013 12:35 PM

The Patriots could use a bit of good publicity these days.

2. prideandpoise says: Aug 5, 2013 12:36 PM

Somewhere out there, Danny Wuerffel is smiling right now.

3. djflav303 says: Aug 5, 2013 12:36 PM

Denver still has love for him and we will always wish him the best. (but we just gotta have that trophy tho!)

4. Nickstixx says: Aug 5, 2013 12:37 PM

Pure class…. Wish more players were like Tebow when it comes to stuff like this.
    Oh… and he’s making the team.

5. floratiotime says: Aug 5, 2013 12:37 PM

People read into him what they wish he stood for … and he’s smart enough to keep his mouth shut.

6. Milehighmagic58 says: Aug 5, 2013 12:37 PM

Class act all the way around. If you don’t like this guy as a person, you need to take a long, hard look in the mirror and ask yourself why.

7. jimyritz says: Aug 5, 2013 12:40 PM

Too bad he can’t play…too bad because as a Pro he gets it…

8. onearmsteven says: Aug 5, 2013 12:40 PM

but he still isn’t good on the field, so who cares?

9. noncentsicle says: Aug 5, 2013 12:40 PM

Regardless of what you may think of Tebow’s play, this guy’s a class act and the NFL needs more guys like him.

10. seattlecoug says: Aug 5, 2013 12:41 PM

Tebow is like the door-to-door missionaries that you see come to your neighborhood…. ANNOYING as hell, but a genuinely nice guy. That being said, I still can’t stand that bible thumping arse-clown.

11. bobzilla1001 says: Aug 5, 2013 12:42 PM

When you think about it, it is pretty amazing that Tebow managed to stay pure being from Florida University, where he was surrounded by the likes of Aaron Hernandez, the Pouncey brothers, Riley Cooper and Urban Myer.

12. seanleemvp says: Aug 5, 2013 12:44 PM

Theres 100 million Americans that are just like Tebow. Great People who shouldn’t be in the NFL

13. dryzzt23 says: Aug 5, 2013 12:45 PM

Tebow is what we all wish we were….a solid citizen with principles and morals. But since some people (looking at you media types) are sleazeballs, creeps, and deceitful people, they cannot stand it when someone is just a good person. So they tear him down to their level.

14. theparadoxx82 says: Aug 5, 2013 12:47 PM

Tebow is always a star Off the Field..

15. sean6886 says: Aug 5, 2013 12:49 PM

Soon, the sick will be asking Jebow to lay hands on them. Will he get fined for wearing a robe & sandels?

16. jack3dsd says: Aug 5, 2013 12:49 PM

He’s more accomplished as a college and pro player than anybody writing articles or posting comments

17. nobby821 says: Aug 5, 2013 12:50 PM

Brady drops back. Looking Looking, Gradkowski’s got the double team. He finds Tebow up the middle. Beautiful pass and great catch by the miracle worker! 1st down New England!

18. texansdude says: Aug 5, 2013 12:53 PM

Who’s Danny Wuerffel?

19. yanksbills says: Aug 5, 2013 12:54 PM

Can’t someone just give him a coaching job already?

20. blackhawks2010 says: Aug 5, 2013 12:54 PM

Tebow is a role model, leader and class act.

21. 4512dawg4512 says: Aug 5, 2013 12:54 PM

Like him or not, Tebow is straight up class

22. nyfootballgiants says: Aug 5, 2013 12:59 PM

Obviously this wasn’t written by Darin Gantt, because there was no slam of Tebow (or Christianity) built into this piece….

Tebow may not be a QB in the mode of Elway, Marino, etc. but he is a class act. It’s nice to see a piece discussing the good that he does.

23. hilltopfb says: Aug 5, 2013 12:59 PM

Gradkowski?

24. gmsalpha says: Aug 5, 2013 1:01 PM

What an awesome attitude, great work ethic, soft spoken, but tough competitor, doesn’t give up, and doesn’t care what people say or think about him.

I wish more people had his attitude and demeanor. The world would definitely be a better place.

I can’t stand his political/religious views, but I think he’s still a great person with a big heart and it’s easy to see why people like him.

25. tennesseeoilers says: Aug 5, 2013 1:04 PM

Seeing today’s posts about Tebow and Vince Young, I’m reminded that if you combined their strengths …

Tebow (natural leader, extreme toughness, exceptional mental and emotional stamina, top-tier short-yardage ballcarrier, intense work ethic, integrity, humility, disciplined, teachable)

Vince Young (height, speed, strong arm, accurate deep ball, sixth sense for feeling pocket pressure)

… you’d have a Hall of Fame quarterback and then some!

26. harrycanyon says: Aug 5, 2013 1:04 PM

and on the field (where is matters), he is a Joke.

27. jshipolito says: Aug 5, 2013 1:06 PM

No matter what happens, Tim Tebow is a winner.

28. harrycanyon says: Aug 5, 2013 1:07 PM

So you guys would rather have a good guy off the field , who is not good at football, than to have a guy who maybe gets in trouble, but is a great football player (im talking about victimless crimes)? You guys who think like this should question how much of a football fan you really are. I would rather have the best PLAYER on the field myself.

29. jamaltimore says: Aug 5, 2013 1:10 PM

For all those who hate tebow for being a genuine good guy who believes in God I wonder who you root for? If I’m a Denver fan I’d rather have Tebow throw a TD in overtime to win than Peyton throw a Pick in Overtime to cost his team the game!

30. EJ says: Aug 5, 2013 1:16 PM

Tebow is the person that every NFL player should model themselves after. I guarantee that Tim Tebow would never show dis-respect to any of his elders, score 2 or three DWI’s or lay his hands on a female. These other players should really pay attention.

31. chiadam says: Aug 5, 2013 1:18 PM

I bet he’s really excited!

32. bigblu73 says: Aug 5, 2013 1:19 PM

Being a All-Pro HUMAN BEING is more important and admirable than being a all-pro football player!!! Kudos to Tebow for setting a positive example to all humanity!

33. 8man says: Aug 5, 2013 1:20 PM

No news is always good news when you speak of training camps, but this is great PR for a team that needs a bit of a lift.

34. spedman24 says: Aug 5, 2013 1:21 PM

Gradkowski? Typical Pats fan.

35. crownofthehelmet says: Aug 5, 2013 1:22 PM

“when I was a young boy and I got Danny Wuerffel’s autograph,”
    ———————————————————
    Note to youngsters: if you have aspirations of playing QB in the NFL, set a higher bar than Danny Wuerffel.

36. harrisonhits2 says: Aug 5, 2013 1:27 PM

hilltopfb says:

Gradkowski?
    _______________

Lol

Hey if the mayor of Boston can call him “Gonk” (which he did during the playoffs last year), a random pft poster can call him Gradkowski.

37. mrplow3 says: Aug 5, 2013 1:30 PM

This right here sums up why I’m a Tebow fan for life.

You people who disagree with his faith to the point of hating this guy need to step back and reevaluate yourself.

38. bennyb82 says: Aug 5, 2013 1:36 PM

Tebow has great intentions but he should be looking at the bigger picture. No one is telling him not to ignore autogtaph requests, but he really needs to understand that the publicity he generates will work against him unless he shows he is worth it on the football field. His football opportunities are going to dwindle if he continues to embrace the spotlight for reasons other than football.

39. qdog112 says: Aug 5, 2013 1:39 PM

So is clam chowder.

40. johnnybgood19 says: Aug 5, 2013 1:42 PM

When I look at Tebow I see a Ken Stabler only without all the cussing… Stabler was a guy without the mechanics… who all he did was be a leader and win football games…

So far when given the chance Tebow is a leader and wins football games.

The fact that people like him well that’s just a plus for him and the game and I hate to say this but also for the Pats…..

41. sportnorcal says: Aug 5, 2013 1:47 PM

I’m still not convinced he can play at the NFL level, but there is no denying his likability.

For all the crap he takes on a daily basis the guy always seems to come through it with a smile and kind words. I wish more players were as friendly.

42. raiderufan says: Aug 5, 2013 1:49 PM

I love this idea that not liking Tebow could only be because he believes in god and is a good person.

The constantly being happy feels like it comes from a playbook and the god thing feels like the wrong place and time. Not the reasons I dislike him.

I don’t like him because the only thing I truly know about him, football, is something he’s talked about constantly and put on a pedestal from the rest of the players and has nothing to do with talent or performance. It’s all overblown charisma. All anyone remembers is the great comebacks and the winning games but truth is that in quarters 1-3 he was bad in just about every win (hence the comebacks) and up until they beat Pittsburgh it was getting really ugly (3 straight losses. Tebow 30-73 & 439 yards with 1 td and 4 ints. 143 rushing, 3 TD’s) Then the Pittsburgh game and New England face plant. They finished the season 1-4. He just wasn’t as good as the wins suggest. Hell if Oakland wins week 17 they don’t even get in.

I give him all the credit for the good work he does off the field. The good things he does and the hope he gives children are fantastic. I’d never say something ill regarding that…football wise. As a U fan and a Raider fan (gators, broncos) I’m so over this guy it’s not even funny.

I guess you could say I hate Tebow the football player…but the man seems like a good dude. A good dude that goes about his business in a way I wouldn’t. That’s fine with me.

43. gsomatt says: Aug 5, 2013 1:50 PM

He tries to live a life of values… and that doesn’t make for good reality TV or interesting stories in social media.

And yet the fans love him.

I think the fans got it right.

44. freepretzels says: Aug 5, 2013 1:52 PM

I still don’t see why this guy isn’t considered an NFL quality player. I think last year’s Jet offense was a perfect fit for him and I have no idea why they didn’t let him play. I don’t know how you write someone this young, who works this hard off already.

45. freepretzels says: Aug 5, 2013 1:52 PM

*write off*

46. patriots123456 says: Aug 5, 2013 1:53 PM

If for some reason Tebow doesn’t make the Patriots, I’d love to see Goodell hire him onto the NFL staff…

Would be a great popular addition to the NFL management team.

47. jnbnet says: Aug 5, 2013 1:54 PM

seattlecoug says:
    Aug 5, 2013 12:41 PM

Annoying as hell? You must be thinking of some diva cornerback who didn’t enough positive reinforcement as a child…someone who can’t shut up and just play ball….someone who has to tear others down every chance he gets.

48. realfootballfan says: Aug 5, 2013 1:58 PM

What else does he have to do? It’s not like working after practice is going to improve his game any.

49. raiderufan says: Aug 5, 2013 1:59 PM

mrplow3 says:
    Aug 5, 2013 1:30 PM

________________________________

Hating the way he portrays his faith because it’s constant and not all of us believe that way is much different than hating a man for his faith.

I’m an atheist. Have faith in anything you like. Don’t shove it down my throat and throw it at me when I’m trying to enjoy a game and a beer and I won’t walk into your church and tell you my announce my thoughts. Seems pretty fair.

50. tommyribs says: Aug 5, 2013 2:03 PM

I know we like to make fun of Tebow’s short-comings as a QB, but in life, this guy has it where it counts in Spades.

He works his ass off, and is still super-appreciative of what he has and where he is in life.

Great, great guy. I hope he finds a niche in the NFL and has a long career.

51. pem34 says: Aug 5, 2013 2:05 PM

raiderufan says:
    ——————-
    Dude – he may not be much in the NFL, but he is one of the top 10 college football players of all time. Of all time.

52. thelastwordyaheard says: Aug 5, 2013 2:07 PM

the kid is a great player, but an awful QB.. the Pats will find a way to maximize his talents & he’ll be playing for a long time.. if you don’t think he has the talent/skill to play in the NFL, you know nothing about football

53. edithpiaf51 says: Aug 5, 2013 2:22 PM

Tim Tebow as always has shown to be a class act. He is a model Christian and if more people were like him, the world would be at peace. I am a Giants and Bronco fan and I loved Tebow when he was with the Broncos. I think he is a class act like Eli Manning. I just hope that the Patriots employ him effectively. If they do then God bless the Patriots and this is coming from a die hard Giant and Bronco fan.

54. dirk504 says: Aug 5, 2013 2:33 PM

Class act! I’d root for him over an egotistic star any day.

55. drzsucksbigtime says: Aug 5, 2013 2:44 PM

Classy. Too bad he doesn’t have a skill set for the nfl, real shame. I’d put money down that he’ll be tebowing on capitol hill someday.

56. xxsweepthelegxx says: Aug 5, 2013 2:54 PM

harrisonhits2 says:
    Aug 5, 2013 1:27 PM
    hilltopfb says:

Gradkowski?
    _______________

Lol

_______________

“And Varitek splits the uprights!”

57. CKL says: Aug 5, 2013 2:56 PM

raiderufan says:
    Aug 5, 2013 1:59 PM

_________________________________
    I’m an atheist also and also don’t appreciate people telling me what to do when it comes to personal things like religion.

That said, I have never not even one time heard Tebow say “you must believe as I do or you are going to hell.” That would be shoving it in people’s face. Merely making positive comments like “god bless” do not count in my book. Plenty of players mention god a lot yet only Tebow seems to garner such ill will from so many for it. I think that’s a “you” problem, not a Tebow problem.

58. footballchic777 says: Aug 5, 2013 3:00 PM

For everyone slamming Tebow as a QB, how many successful QBs have never led their team to a playoff game? Tebow not only did it, he one his first playoff game. Is he the best football player put there? No. No one is disputing that. But I have seen the best football players out there sign a few autographs at camps and not even look their fans in the eye, not even act like they enjoy being there. And they have even more reason to be generous of time and spirit considering the 100 million dollar contracts they are signing, thanks in part to those fans and there wallets purchasing tickets, jerseys, etc. I applaud Tebow and his dedication to the fans, his teams, and most of all his character. To bad he is the exception and not the rule. All sports could use more athletes like this.

59. z06vision says: Aug 5, 2013 3:03 PM

He will get further in life for being a class act than he will, as a NfLplayer. That is not a bad thing.

60. painsyndicate says: Aug 5, 2013 3:04 PM

It was time for a good Tebow article instead of the PFT RG3 love affair.

61. jiggy3198 says: Aug 5, 2013 3:17 PM

What does Tim Tebow and me have in common?

We’re both good guys who shouldn’t be in the NFL

62. spankygreen says: Aug 5, 2013 3:18 PM

Note to Athletes:

Stop trying to be role models for kids and work on yourself….

Parents:

How about YOU be the role model for your kids…Stop counting on athletes, celebs and the like who only influence your kid maybe 2 or 3 hours at time. You have the entire week or longer….Have an influence on your child that does not leave him seeking validation from the above mentioned…..

63. tindeaux says: Aug 5, 2013 3:29 PM

it’s amazing when a player does good thing, yet still get criticized by some eediots.

64. hendeeze says: Aug 5, 2013 3:38 PM

Plenty of (stupid) people have invisible friends. Why is this guy so special for having one? Still hasn’t done anything meaningful on the field. Yet famous for exactly what?

65. bubbybrister/shovelpass says: Aug 5, 2013 3:40 PM

If EJ Manuel had taken this much time to sign all those autographs, Bills fans would be killing him for not spending enough time on the play book or wondering how long does it take to sign your own name to only twelve fans…?

66. cuda1234 says: Aug 5, 2013 3:41 PM

Of course, the place Tebow has the most fans is in the media, which is why he’s always in the “news” even though he’s been irrelevant in football for several years after positing some of the worst qb numbers in NFL history during his stint as the broncos’ accidental starter.

67. howiehandles says: Aug 5, 2013 3:57 PM

As much as I’m sick of all the hype, it’s tough not to root for this kid.

68. howiehandles says: Aug 5, 2013 4:01 PM

“if you don’t think he has the talent/skill to play in the NFL, you know nothing about football”

I’m not rooting against the kid, but define “talent/skill to play”.

When I think of “talent/skill to play”, I think of significant and meaningful minutes. In that regard, I don’t believe he has the talent/skill, even though he’s still in the NFL. He’s a class act, and seems genuine. I wish him nothing but the best.

69. jagtiger says: Aug 5, 2013 4:19 PM

Nobody ever said that he is not a really good guy, just that he’s not a NFL quarterback!

70. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 5, 2013 4:25 PM

“Hey Brady can you move out of the way please. I’m trying to get a photo of Tebow.”
    Tebow is a rockstar!

71. natigator says: Aug 5, 2013 4:25 PM

I love how a story about how an NFL player helping to brighten the day of a disabled girl is spun into a argument over his religious beliefs, ability to play professional football, and taking potshots at his sports idols growing up.

Accept it for what it is, a genuinely kind gesture by one human being to another, that helped brighten both of their days.

72. truths4all says: Aug 5, 2013 4:30 PM

Why is anyone surprise about the haters’ hate for Tebow?

Just as Tebow being a “good” person comes out, the haters (those who hate God and secretly fear their Judgment Day) hate anyone and anything that worships the true God. Just as the darkness hates goodness, the haters hate anything and anyone who treats others well because their conscience tell them they are on the side of evil. The haters try to say it is because Tebow is not a NFL caliber player, but he has more NFL wins and losses than they ever hope to ascribe to. The haters all say its about the football, but yet they do not dump on any others who are trying to get and keep a job in the NFL. Of course the haters are hypocrites as they are on the side of darkness because they choose to be and cannot stand the light.
    BTW haters, if Tebow can hang around a few more seasons, he will qualify for a NFL retirement package. Doesn’t frost your grits?

73. thegreatsantini56 says: Aug 5, 2013 4:35 PM

Tim Tebow is not a NFL QB. However, he does have above-average football talent and also a hard-worker. In other words he is a winner. He has a relationship with his God that allows him to show kindness to others, and to play like he is doing it for the glory of his God. In his mind he is assured of his position with his God.

If Tim Tebow was gay and used his position to extol the gay agenda, I wonder if he would be criticized so vociferously? I think not since it would be rightly called hateful. Well he is mixing religion and football, and we all know that mixing religion and anything else is bad-form. I just think that he makes people very uncomfortable with their position with their God (or lack thereof). “Methinks thou protests too much”.

74. hehateme2 says: Aug 5, 2013 4:51 PM

One Tebow is enough. Geez, some of you on here are so gullible.

He is a shameless self-promoter period.

75. toddvenice says: Aug 5, 2013 5:04 PM

It boggles the mind that ANYONE could not like and respect this man. He has so much goodness in him, and gives so much of himself. More than that, what example he sets for others — especially our young people. Tim Tebow defines “Clas Act”. I hope he never changes, and I look forward to the day that he is riding high in the NFL again — and he will.

76. gimmeabruschi says: Aug 5, 2013 6:06 PM

All you football “experts” should go look at Tebow’s career stats and compare them to Luck’s and get back to us.

This guy has done at least as well while being given zero support compared the the whole world fawning over Luck.

77. portlandmainefan says: Aug 5, 2013 7:53 PM

Thanks for a readable post and keeping your fellow blogger Darin Gantt away fron the Tebow posts. Gantt is truly ignorant and insulting. In todays world of Aaron Hernandez, Alex Rodriguez, Reilly Cooper, etc. etc. it boggles my mind why everyone doesnt just sit back and appreciate this young man Tim Tebow.

78. Frank Eriksen says: Aug 7, 2013 1:36 PM

I still hate Elway for trading him. If you wanna go 13-3 in the regular season Manning’s the man. But in the playoffs – not so much. Tebow did what he did in Denver in only his 2nd season. Basically a rookie. Tim’s biggest mistake was taking the advice of all the NFL “X-perts” and changing his throwing style. Kid threw for over 9000 yards in 3 years at UF. Go watch the scene in Butch Cassidy when he and Sundance try out as security guards. When Sundance is allowed to do what he does naturally he’s deadly. Tebow will be too if he goes back to his old throwing style. Oh, and the playoff fiasco in NE that year with Denver? Take a look at the O-line. They blocked no one.