Report: Packers confirm Bulaga is done for the year

AP

Last night, we reported that Packers left tackle Bryan Bulaga has a torn ACL in his knee.  On Monday, the team privately confirmed the news.

According to Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, who first reported that Bulaga emerged from Saturday night’s scrimmage with a knee injury, the team’s doctors have diagnosed Bulaga with a torn ACL.  Bulaga reportedly will seek a second opinion regarding the interpretation of the MRI from Dr. James Andrews.

Per McGinn, rookie David Bakhtiari will replace Bulaga in the lineup.  Coach MIke McCarthy has yet to decide whether to play Bakhtiari at right tackle or left tackle.

Marshall Newhouse will play left tackle or right tackle, depending on Bakhtiari’s assignment.

108 responses to “Report: Packers confirm Bulaga is done for the year

1. Tough break for the Packers. I think Rodgers will be seeing alot of Aldon and Justin Smith week 1.

2. If it was going to happen glad it happened in the preseason. Gives a little more time to prepare unlike last year when he went down yet we still managed to win. With the potential of a run game to alleviate the pressure it should not be as a big of an issue. Sure would love to have him but there is time to adjust.

3. The Packers are 22-6 with Marshall Newhouse at LT. And while Bulaga is a very solid tackle he was actually ranked 53rd best tackle in the NFL last season, Newhouse 52nd according to ProFootballFocus. Remember Bulaga in Seattle last year – 3 sacks allowed in 1st half.

4. I hope that Bakhtiari begins at LT. Newhouse has shown he’s not the answer, and is also the prime culprit in Sherrod missing all this time. If you recall in that Chiefs game Newhouse got smoked and the defender rolled up on Sherrod, who of course was filling in at RT because Bulaga was injured (not too shocking now it turns out).

Marshall has at least been healthy, something Bulaga has rarely been lately, and maybe if there is any spot he might be able to prove adequate will be RT.

5. don’t forget about Julius Peppers, Jared Allen, Suh…oh snap..that is just the NFC North…could end up being a long year for Rodgers…especially if his receivers keep on dropping his passes…hey if Lacy keeps putting on weight they could put him on at left tackle

6. As a diehard Bears fan, this doesn’t lessen my worry of playing the Packers any less. My Bears always suck it up against the Packers. Cutler wets his pants every time he sees that Green N’ Gold. It really sucks being a Bears fan.

7. Major blow for the rebuilding offensive line. Hopefully the rookie can step in and deliver the goods. Feel bad for Bulaga, before you even get a chance to showcase what you can do on the Left side.

8. I love the Steeler’s trolls commenting on this. Does the burn still hurt from 2010? LOLZ!!! The Pack will be fine. GO PACK GO!

9. elimanningup says:
    Aug 5, 2013 1:55 PM
    And another rival team of the Giants takes a huge hit.
    ——————————————————-

Pack and Giants are rivals?
    Since when?

Our rivals are with the Bears.
    Your team isn’t even on our radar.

10. Bears fan, and I hate this for Packers. LT is one of the most important positions period, especially for a pass-happy team. Something tells me the dreaded Rodgers will still find a way….Seen too many recent Bears-Packers debacles to think otherwise.

11. Look at the jealous fans getting excited like the first time they snuck daddies playboy into the bathroom only to discover they werent quite a man yet. Bulaga was hurt last year as well so the sorry fans happy about the injury better hope for more because your team will once again finish in the Packers shadow.

12. brownsfanincali says: Aug 5, 2013 1:50 PM

TT should call KC and do a deal for Brandon Albert today …I hate it too but if Rodgers goes down, they’re done for the year anyways.
    ————————————————————

that window has closed sir…

13. I’m glad this happen now; I have the 4th pick in my ff league. Rodgers (if there) would of been my pick. Now I think he is maybe a top 7 to 10 pick.

14. Its kind of comical how everyone goes to ” James Andrews” for everything. I mean he’s probably good and all but I bet he has some failures and mistakes just like everyone else

15. This does suck, but on the plus side it’s better that this happened now instead of in Week 1. Whoever is going to replace him at left tackle has four weeks of practice time to get ready. Given the ‘next man up’ attitude the Packers have, it wouldn’t be at all surprising if the next guy up performs at least as well.

16. Let’s face it. The Packers have a good team with or without this Bulaga fellow. Why? Because they have Aaron Rodgers. The rest of the team is largely inconsequential, so what difference does it make if they lose one inconsequential player? This wasn’t a Super Bowl team before and it isn’t now, but the quarterback will keep them competitive.

17. At some point you have to blame the Packer organization for all the injuries. It’s not just this year, it’s every year they seem to lead the league in training camp injuries.

16 guys out after 1 week of training camp???

It’s bad luck if this sort of thing happens one year, but when it happens every year its a coaching problem.

18. But seriously…as an Eagles fan who has lost his left tackle at the start of a promising season, I do sympathize. You hate to see this kind of thing happen . I mean it. Cheeseheads, my heart goes out to you.

19. At worst, they are back to their OL from late last year. Bulaga has been injured 3 years in a row now. Played in 12 games 2011, 9 in 2012, and possibly 0 in 2013.

For the doom and gloomers, the offense will be fine. It’s the defense that has dragged them down the past two years.

20. It’s a big loss, but Bak will step up. Keep hating vike fans, doesn’t change the fact that Ponder is your QB.

21. gbmickey says: Aug 5, 2013 2:08 PM

duece5 says:

So, mickey, from your “logic” both TT and McCarthy are clueless a-holes that can’t decipher talent because this guy, Buluga, is so “terrible” that he doesn’t belong starting??

Obviously, top management and McCarthy BOTH felt he was your best shot at starting LT, otherwise, HE WOULDN’T have been there.

Regardless, you are now beyond thin at the Oline position, and your girl, Erin Rodgas, just pissed his pants because 51 sacks to him now would be something he would take in a heartbeat.

Good luck with your “logic”!!!!

22. Jennings, Woodson, Bishop and Bulaga hmm didn’t they all miss most of last season? I know Bishop didn’t play a game. Woodson about 6 games, Jennings 7 and Bulaga 9 games. So yeah we’re really gonna miss them. Woodson, Jennings played very poorly last season too.

23. Rick Spielman is a Magician says:Aug 5, 2013 2:16 PM

———-

And, how would you know what Super Bowl teams look like?

24. Not surprising their plans were to move Bulaga to Left Tackle with the likes of Newhouse and Sherrod on the roster. This season and Rodgers health will be very interesting now with that injury. Question now, what about next year… can he heal & rehab well enough to start at LT?

25. These injuries seem to happen to the Packers every year. And like clockwork, the same low-life haters from the other teams in the division love it. One problem. The Packers always deal with it, don’t complain, and win the division anyway.

Next man up.

26. Carl Gerbschmidt says:Aug 5, 2013 2:33 PM

Rick Spielman is a Magician says:Aug 5, 2013 2:16 PM

———-

And, how would you know what Super Bowl teams look like?
    ________

Well, I’m an expert at knowing what Super Bowl teams don’t look like. And this looks a lot like one of those to me.

27. I was going to say what a bummer about losing a starter at a key position and then I read the posts from pack fans. Narcissistic with delusions of grandeur should supplant packer fan. Your most valuable assets protection in gone and of course the next up is even better. If Mr. Rogers gets hurt your smack dab in the middle of the pre-Farve ages. I’m sure its a great thing.

28. Hey, fellow Packer fans….the haters are laying-in-wait for the Packers more than any other team on this site. Their jealousies know no bounds.

Refrain from getting into (h)issing matches with them. It is a waste of your time and energy…and they have nothing better to do.

Remember: “A tiger does not lose sleep from the opinions of sheep.”

29. Sucks for Packer fans.

Never like to see injuries like this, especially for stand up guys like Bulaga.

30. flavike says:
    Aug 5, 2013 2:51 PM

////////////////////////////////

That’s why they play the games instead of relying on Viking fans for their opinions of the expected results. I’m not worried. The Packers will deal with it like they always do. And the Packers will win the division like they always do. And the Viking fans will keep on being jealous like they always are.

Next man up.

31. packers meet 98 & 91 in week 2 I feel really really bad for you guys. LOL WINTER IS COMING.!!!!!!!!!!!

32. Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Aug 5, 2013 2:27 PM

—-

Hey Im cool with Ponder as our QB.
    The last game he played he beat Aaron Rodgers and co.

33. allday28mvpmvp says:Aug 5, 2013 2:05 PM

No Jennings, No Woodson, No Bishop, No Left Tackle.

Looks like its gonna be a rough one in dairy land this season
    ———————————————————

Hey Allday….jennings missed 9 games last year and played in short parts in 2 others, Woodson missed 11 games, Bulaga missed 7 games IR and Bishop didn’t play a down IR…what are you trying to say here?

The Packers still won the division, went 5-1 against the division including beating the Vikes in the Playoffs….Before you post such garbage read a little and get your facts straight….

You should be more worried at this point about Ponder who by all accounts has had a terrible camp and showed little improvement over last years debacle……

34. You can say he wasn’t all that great of a player( I think he was gonna have a better year at the other side of the line) but the fact of the matter is he was a starter. That alone warrants attention.( not at all saying backup players are less important people, because that’s not true) And with all the bad injures that have happened these last few weeks, a lot of attention should be given.

35. jhein23 says: Aug 5, 2013 1:51 PM

Some really sick people on the internet. Who LOL to another human beings injury?

——————————————————

Says a fan who trolls rival threads and tolerates some fools who celebrate a rivals death (Korey Stringer) . It has also become accepted behavior when some of your fellow Packer fans celebrated Ponder’s injury and not being able to play in the wild card playoff game just last January.

I agree it is tasteless to celebrate a persons injury but think twice before taking the high road when you and your fanbase are just as guilty of the same actions.

36. packmanfan says: Aug 5, 2013 2:04 PM

elimanningup says:
    Aug 5, 2013 1:55 PM
    And another rival team of the Giants takes a huge hit.
    ——————————————————-

Pack and Giants are rivals?
    Since when?

Our rivals are with the Bears.
    Your team isn’t even on our radar.

—————————————————

Looking back at the history of both franchises, the Giants and Pack have played in quite a few big games…playoffs and regular seasons. Obviously in recent years they’ve had the 2 playoff games and some regular season games.

As a die-hard Packer fan, I definitely look at the Giants as rival the past few years. Good teams…good coaching…good franchise.

37. As a Packer fan I was never a fan of Bulaga anyway. I feel bad for him but he isn’t a top tier LT in this league. With a hopefully improved running game and play action rollouts to the right, the Pack should be fine. The real question is whether the new bodies on defense will step up and not get torn apart by tough running teams like the Seahawks, Vikings, and 49ers.

38. Infinite – when have I trolled Vikes page? I couldn’t care less about the Vikings. Don’t lump me in with other people.

And Rick Spielman if the Packers are not a SB team than your Vikings definitely are not. They had to play almost a flawless game to beat them at home in game that was do or die for them and for the Packers just involved playoff seeding.

Unless Minnesota gets Christian Ponder to play at a Brad Johnson like level and their defense goes from what it was last year to top 10 status they are no where near a SB team. Real good passing QBs can still light that secondary up.

39. The haters were saying that “Alligator Arms” Bulaga wouldn’t be able to block anyone and now they say his loss is a crippling blow. So it goes in the PFT comments section. Bakhtiari has looked better than expected in camp so far. Worst case they can go back to Newhouse at LT and Barclay at RT, which was good enough to beat most teams at the end of last year. But with Tretter and Bulaga both out, they’d be wise to sign a vet on the OL.
    Btw, is “Winter is coming” supposed to sound scary? Winter comes to Wisconsin every year. We know how to deal with winter. We kick Winter Park’s boys around every season. R2D2 is headed for the scrap heap, Obi-Wan.

40. Giants-Packers a rivalry???

Only when the Packers can beat them when it counts.

.. kinda like Dallas was a ‘rival’ in the 90’s.

41. Newhouse is horrible. If he doesn’t get help on his side he gives up a sack. Bulaga was better than Newhouse. GB seems to draft lately that never live up to their potential. David Bakhtiari was drafted in the 4th so lets see if he can overachieve or get Rogers killed.

42. Haters can say what they want, but last year the Packers played Julius Peppers and co. without Bulaga, Jared Allen and co. three times without Bulaga, Suh and company twice without Bulaga, Jason Pierre-Paul and co. without Bulaga, and the 49ers D without Bulaga.

With Bulaga healthy, it would have solidified the O-line. Now it’s basically back to where it was last year, with a little better depth added to it.

Rodgers is used to running fro his life. In fact, he’s typically more dangerous when he’s out of the pocket. As it stands, the Packers are still a top contender for the Super Bowl this year, despite whatever anybody here thinks.

43. jhein23 says: Aug 5, 2013 3:38 PM

—————————————————

example 1

jhein23 says: Aug 1, 2013 9:31 PM

Greg Jennings is going to the Vikings at about the same age Tory Holt went to the Jaguars. Not sure Jennings even puts up the numbers Holt did in Jacksonville.

===================================

example 2

jhein23 says: Aug 1, 2013 10:04 PM

I don’t think this is what Leslie Frazier had in mind. Just shut up Greg.

………………………………………………………………

Just from one other thread you prove yourself to be a liar. Bottom line is very simple, you take the high road when you are just as involved.

Sorry Bulaga is lost for the season, it will probably haunt your team all year long but your biggest problem is the lack of foresight TT has in protecting your qb. Bulaga is the 1st domino that fell so who is next? Possibly Rodgers.

Writing is on the wall.

44. the health history on the baluga is really bad, this guy has never been healthy for very long, watch for the trade in the future.

45. LOL infinate – those show up as Packers articles too. Greg Jenning is a former Packer player. And I have every right to comment on a former Packer that I used to really like, ripping the Packers.

Think I’m a liar and think the Packers season is doomed if you’d like.

46. And another rival team of the Giants takes a huge hit.

This is awesome! LOL!
    ……….

Packers lead Giants 4-3 in playoffs.

47. stellarperformance says:
    Aug 5, 2013 3:15 PM
    flavike says:
    Aug 5, 2013 2:51 PM

////////////////////////////////

Next man up.

///////////////////////////////

You made my point. Thanks.

48. flavike what you were hoping you’d find Packers fans on here saying welp the season’s over even though Bulaga was only around for 8 and a half games last season?

49. @deltaoracle its a nice way of say The Redskins Will Unleash Hell on your team. WINTER IS COMING.!!!!!!!!!

50. flavike says:
    Aug 5, 2013 4:23 PM
    You made my point. Thanks
    /////////////////////////////////

I never said the “next man up” was better than his predecessor. Your arrogance assigned those words to me. He’s simply the next man available. Every team is filled with unknowns just waiting for their chance. I inferred that the Packers have faced this dilemma before and prevailed. I believe they will again. Whoever the next man up is……that’s who it is. What would you like me to say…”Bulaga is hurt, NOW the Vikings are better than the Packers.” ???Why would I say that?

51. I believe it was the late Bud Grant who once said “Viking fans are small people (metaphorically, not girth wise), living small lives, beneath the giant shadow of the Green Bay Packers.

52. Infinite – it bothers me that you put my comments about Greg Jennings I wrote at the same level as laughing about an injury or someone’s death. I can’t have an opinon of Jennings = Tory Holt with the Jaguars and I can’t say what many of your fellow Vikings fans and head coach were saying to him?

Nowhere near the same level as laughng at Korey Stringer which I can’t believe people did but I’ll take your word for it and LOL at Bulaga tearing his knee.

53. I still maintain that Rodgers is better because of their poor o-line and that if the Packers ever had a top 5 O-line, Rodgers would falter, not improve. He’s just a better player when mobile, just the way it is.

It is for that reason that I don’t think this will end up hurting the Pack all that much. Sure, the sacks will fly and with it the potential for injury to the star QB, but what is lost in sacks will be made up in Rodgers’ superior mobility game.

54. Dear rest of the league. You better pray that Packers make the playoffs. You really want this team with a high draft pick? You REALLY think it’s in your best interest for injuries to cause this team to draft high? Are you stupid? I hope we lose every game this year, I hope they throw EVERY SINGLE GAME. Cause I’d love to see Clowney on the other side of Clay Matthews. No one comments on the Bengals, no one says anything about the Browns or the Dolphins much. You know why you are here, it’s not because the Packers fans are obnoxious, or more obnoxious than any other fans. Everyone whose honest knows that’s crap, everyone thinks their rival fans are the MOST obnoxious. Truthfully all of you are obnoxious. But, here’s the facts people. You’re here cause the Packers have been a good team more or less since the 90s. You are here because you are tired of hearing how good Aaron Rodgers is, how good his wide receivers are, how dominating their offense is. So like anyone who hears too much positive about anything you want to point out the cracks, you want to tout the failings and you want to hark on everything you can so you can take a little shine away from something that’s shining too bright for you to take. But at the end of the day, the Packers are going to win games, be competitive and entertain they fan base. And here’s another fact, the only fans who can brag about anything are the Ravens’ fans, EVERYBODY ELSE LOST LAST YEAR. So all your chirping amounts to posturing on who was better at not being a champion. But to the point, the packers win and they have a chance to win this year and every year. This is a fact and it burns a lot of people who aren’t like that. 49ers fans are happy last year was the first year in a long time they were anything special vs. the Packers. So naturally they all up in arms. The Vikings got their first win against the packers in a while. Naturally they are up in arms. But you find us obnoxious cause we don’t feel the same. We aren’t up in arms about beating any of you. We expect to beat you and are dissapointed when we don’t because we are the apex predator in the NFC North. That hasn’t changed in a long time and it will not change. If we weren’t you wouldn’t be here trying to take away some of our shine. Cause no one is on the Lions board like this, and Packers aren’t on the Bears board quite like this. The only reason we hate the Vikings, isn’t because they take our players or anything else. I find that when you beat the Vikings into submission and you are clearly better. Unlike the Bears fans who will say you got me, we’ll get you next year. Or lions, who say fine, it’s only a matter of time. Vikings fans still talk crap like they haven’t been consistently beaten. They have no respect and we in turn have no respect for them. You’re a crap organization and I am going to go on RECORD and say that if the Lions ever get a decent Wide out across from Calvin Johnson, the Vikings will never sniff anything more than 4th in this conference.

55. It’s funny how every year is the same thing from the Viking and Bear fans, you always say the Packers are going to be on the decline, and things like “8-8 at best” and then we go win the division, again. Also this argument about how we are now screwed is false, Packers went 11-5 last season with Bulaga missing several games, as well as Jennings, Nelson, Woodson, Bishop and Nick Perry, even Matthews missed some time. The Pack will be fine.

Lastly-Spielman, will you just admit you secretly love the Pack? Considering you comment on EVERY Packer article.

56. All these aldon smith comments like he is the real deal… where was aldon smith when justin smith was out…

The packers will be fine. Bulaga was basically out the whole year last season and look at their record. Offense wasnt the problem for the packers. Defense couldnt stop nobody

57. Tough deal for the Pack and Bulaga , and I hope he fully recovers. Most Viking fans aren’t celebrating the injury and wish him the best, although if the comments of the Viking trolls upset the usual cheeser trolls, most of us out west can live with that. And “theblackrook” if you think most people are reading your War &Peace treatise, I’ve got some oceanfront property in Sheboygan to sell you.

58. @ rtp295
    Just a minority of rival fans are blind. Look no further than that blowhard mcnasty. Pack fans would look the same way if the were blogs in between say Lombardi and Ron Wolf. It’s just easier to hate the rival with passion when they are getting the better of your favorite team. The power will shift around the division as time passes and all will equal out oh, except for the Lions they will never be good.

59. @theblackrook. Looks like someone has way too much time on their hands. As for your peckers this is the beginning of the end. Guys getting injured and bringing in a washed up QB from the past you did nothing in his career at all. Also you say you have capable players to keep moving on well HELLO what if they get injured then who ya you didn’t think that one through did you. So I really hope that your team can at least compete this season. Keep telling yourself how good your team is if that helps you out. WEEK 2 YOU WILL RUN INTO 98 & 91. HAVE FUN STOPPING THEM.!!!!!!!

60. stellarperformance says: Aug 5, 2013 4:34 PM

————————————-

Funny how you don’t afford that same common sense towards Viking fans when they use that same reasoning when it comes to their team.

61. @ jhein23

I didn’t see where Rick Spielman is a Magician ever stated the Vikings were a Super Bowl team. Seems like you’re putting words into his mouth. And don’t act like playing for playoff seeding meant nothing to the Packers last year. You can’t possibly be that naïve.