Revis “almost certain” to be back for opener

Darrelle Revis AP

There’s obvious motivation for Buccaneers cornerback Darrelle Revis to get back for the opener, since it’s against his old team, the Jets.

But the Bucs are being careful with his rehab from last year’s knee surgery, and they’re encouraged their prize acquisition should be fine.

Bucs General Manager Mark Dominik told Peter King of TheMMQB.com that he was “almost certain” Revis would be able to go in five weeks.

Revis himself tapped the brakes lightly, which is probably a defense mechanism as much as anything.

“At this time,’’ Revis said, “I can’t tell you. But it is my goal to be ready for the first game, and it’s coming along well.’’

Revis hasn’t had any setbacks as he’s worked gradually back into action, and they’re going to hold him out of at least the first two preseason games, if not the entire exhibition slate. There’s no point in risking him then, really, considering what the Bucs invested in him.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
14 Responses to “Revis “almost certain” to be back for opener”
  1. siggtacular says: Aug 5, 2013 10:24 AM

Revis doesn’t have a Super Bowl ring tho

2. jpb12 says: Aug 5, 2013 10:25 AM

They’ll beat the Jets without him.

3. jnbnet says: Aug 5, 2013 10:26 AM

He should hold out for a new contract

4. steelerben says: Aug 5, 2013 11:04 AM

What’s the over/under on number of times Revis picks off Sanchez?

5. tpa43 says: Aug 5, 2013 11:24 AM

Thank god. We are so thin back there!

6. uglyglazers says: Aug 5, 2013 11:33 AM

“What’s the over/under on number of times Revis picks off Sanchez?”

He averages one interception per 4.1 games in his career. So I would say a 25% chance?

7. zeke2517 says: Aug 5, 2013 11:58 AM

“What’s the over/under on number of times Revis picks off Sanchez?”

Well, since Sanchez won’t be playing, I’ll take the under, thank you.

8. houseofbacon says: Aug 5, 2013 12:12 PM

If Week 1 lists him as ‘questionable’, I wouldn’t even play him. It would be beneficial to us (Bucs) obviously to have him on the field, but with Santonio Holmes out I’m not super worried about the receiving threats of the NYJ wideouts.

After that we play New Orleans who has plenty of people that need covered, but I think my kids and their neighborhood friends could cover the Jets receivers.

9. michaeljacksonisback says: Aug 5, 2013 12:27 PM

Wait till Stephen Hill burns him for 2 TDs

10. steelerben says: Aug 5, 2013 4:15 PM

zeke2517 says:
    Aug 5, 2013 11:58 AM
    “What’s the over/under on number of times Revis picks off Sanchez?”

Well, since Sanchez won’t be playing, I’ll take the under, thank you.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. In fact I can give you 8.25 million reasons he is going to come trotting out onto the field week 1. I’m not saying he finishes the year as the starter, but I’d be shocked if he isn’t the guy out of the gates.

11. bucforever says: Aug 5, 2013 4:39 PM

I heard Dominik say on a radio interview Saturday that Revis was ahead of schedule on his rehab but they were no going to push it. They will keep on the time table schedule that the doctors and trainers had put together. It would be a huge disappointment to fans if he was not ready for the Jets game! GO BUCS

12. bucemdown says: Aug 5, 2013 8:24 PM

According to espn Sanchez has 62 games played and 69 ints! Which is 1.11 interceptions per game.

13. sillec28 says: Aug 5, 2013 9:12 PM

That stat about Sanchez averaging one INT per 4.1 games over his career is wrong. That would be only about 4 INTs a season. He’s thrown 69 INTs in 62 games, which is 1.1 interceptions per game, not per season.

14. truebuc4life says: Aug 5, 2013 10:16 PM

Man he good i know I seen him. You can tell he want to get back out there people asking the same ?? The coaches won’t let him he’s ready