Greg Schiano still looking for Da’Quan Bowers to show he’s an every-down player

Da'Quan Bowers, Greg Schiano AP

In June, Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano said that defensive end Da’Quan Bowers has to “go through the pain” of being an every-down player.

With the first preseason game just around the corner, Schiano is still looking for confirmation that Bowers will do that. Schiano said Tuesday that he believes Bowers will make the leap from situational player to lineup fixture, but also spent some time at practice castigating the defensive end for taking “the path of least resistance” during a run drill. Schiano needs to see maximum effort play after play before he’ll be convinced that Bowers is who the Bucs need him to be.

“I want to see him play hard play after play after play after play,” Schiano said, via Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times. “He needs to string together some plays where he’s going at a high level.”

Schiano called Thursday night’s game against the Ravens “the perfect situation” to assess where Bowers is at this point in his challenging transition. The success of the Bucs defense will likely have a lot to do with the answer to that question since there isn’t another end who projects to be that kind of anchor on the line opposite from Adrian Clayborn.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
16 Responses to “Greg Schiano still looking for Da’Quan Bowers to show he’s an every-down player”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Aug 6, 2013 3:09 PM

“I want to see him play hard play after play after play after play”

So you want to see him give up a first down? Nice wish Coach.

2. mjmistretta says: Aug 6, 2013 3:36 PM

I’m so sick of thes Banwagon Tampa fans. Stick with your home state team thank you.

3. spenn80 says: Aug 6, 2013 3:52 PM

thestrategyexpert says: Aug 6, 2013 3:09 PM

“I want to see him play hard play after play after play after play”

So you want to see him give up a first down? Nice wish Coach.

————
    Well actually (taking the quote literally like you did), that would be 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th down, so it sounds like coach wants him to be able to stop an offense four consecutive plays without them gaining 10 yards. AKA turnover on downs.

Nice post expert.

4. halen11 says: Aug 6, 2013 3:55 PM

EVERY down… especially the downs that come at the end of the game when the opposing team’s QB is taking a knee.

I think I’ve had enough of Schiano.

5. gotampabay52 says: Aug 6, 2013 4:07 PM

Sick of you Helan or Halan stick to your team. We are going to shock you dam haters cant wait oh expert what team do root for put a helmet on jerk

6. houseofbacon says: Aug 6, 2013 4:07 PM

Everyone without their head crammed into their butt is over the “kneel down” insults.

Bowers has been inconsistent over the past two years. What we don’t know is how much of that is talent/endurance and how much can be blamed on lingering medical issues. Schiano is saying that he now expects Bowers to be healthy and, as a result, he should be able to spend much more time on the field.

7. thestrategyexpert says: Aug 6, 2013 4:13 PM

spenn80:

Well Bowers I thought from recent PFT posts wasn’t supposed to even be an every down player. I just didn’t like the affect of focusing on a rhythm of repetition of numbers of plays and playing well in them rather than concentrate from a more proactive focus about not just playing well but cutting down on the number of the plays the opponents have to work with.

Cut the quantity AND increase the quality if you want to be the very best you can be. It’s just a more solid form to preach.

8. noleitup says: Aug 6, 2013 4:32 PM

For a guy that was once projected to be the No. 1 overall pick its not lookin good right now. If he cant get it done, Im hoping one of those rookies steps up.

9. cheapglazers says: Aug 6, 2013 4:53 PM

Looks like Schiano is pushing him around…

10. jeagan1999 says: Aug 6, 2013 5:43 PM

Sometimes young players need a little “tough love” from the coach (a.k.a. a kick in the pants) to get them to realize that “potential” alone doesn’t cut it in the NFL. Bowers has got all the physical tools necessary to be a great DE in this league…but does he have the desire and the will to take over an O-line, stuff a RB in the backfield and flatten opposing QB’s when they drop back? I appluad coach Schiano for trying to get Bowers to be the best he can be and a complete player!

11. greg285 says: Aug 6, 2013 6:05 PM

I like Bowers and hope he proves me wrong but there’s just something about DEs from Clemson that scares the shxt out of me (Remember Gaines Adams (RIP)..) he needs to step it up!!!!

12. uchrisbrown says: Aug 6, 2013 6:33 PM

It takes hard work and dedication to perform at top level. Along with committment.

13. dellis2008 says: Aug 6, 2013 7:09 PM

mjmistretta says:
    Aug 6, 2013 3:36 PM

14. gotampabay52 says: Aug 6, 2013 8:39 PM

well put Dell well put

15. bucemdown says: Aug 6, 2013 9:03 PM

I am a Bucs fan from mass, been a fan over 20 years and will be at the Bucs vs. Pats reg. season game! If I lived in Tampa I would go to all 8 Reg. season games but preseason games are only decent in wk 3 and only 1/2 to 3/4′s while its starters vs starters! people make me laugh with their comments

16. cheapglazers says: Aug 7, 2013 8:43 AM

“Hey I’m from DC and I hate the redskins I have been a bucs fan since I was 10 and I’m 23 now. I am no banwagon and since u such a a huge fan Apparently can u buy about 2300 tickets so our games don’t get blacked out.. Thanks”

Yeah the Glazers could buy them for like 30 cents on the dollar, but they are too cheap!