HOF game draws 10.1 million viewers

Dolphins Reuters

Fake football is better than no football.  And the return of preseason football brought the viewers out in large numbers.

NBC has announced that the Hall of Fame game between the Cowboys and Dolphins averaged 10.1 million viewers.  It’s the highest audience for any preseason game since the post-lockout contest between the Chargers and Cowboys in 2011, which drew an audience of 10.7 million.

The game was the No. 1 show for the week among adults age 18-49, 18-34, 25-54, and in all key adult-male demographics.

Speaking of demographics, we’re told that the 3.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic outpaced the MLB All-Star game by 19 percent, at 3.2.

So despite the periodic complaints about the quality of preseason football (one of the loudest voices in that regard belongs to the Commissioner), we still watch it.  And not just because it’s on TV.

Permalink 64 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
64 Responses to “HOF game draws 10.1 million viewers”
  1. tlmoon2112 says: Aug 6, 2013 2:11 PM

Americans are clamouring for something positive from our TV. Despite Aaron Hernandez and whatnot….THIS IS STILL IT……our escape from our reality for just a few hours.

2. chiadam says: Aug 6, 2013 2:12 PM

10.1 million more viewers than the Pro Bowl.

3. daysend564 says: Aug 6, 2013 2:14 PM

Cowboys – America’s Team

Who’d want to miss that, scrubs or not.

4. phinfan says: Aug 6, 2013 2:14 PM

So thats 10.1 million fans saying wow miami sucks, and 10.1 million fans saying wow cowboys winning superbowl.

Fans are stupid ;)

5. larrydavid7000 says: Aug 6, 2013 2:17 PM

The way the economy is these days people rather stay home a watch the CIRCUS on TV instead. (cowboys).

6. iced107 says: Aug 6, 2013 2:17 PM

phinfan says:
    Aug 6, 2013 2:14 PM

Fans are stupid ;)
    ——————————————————————

So what about the non-dolphin and cowboy fans who just simply love football and missed it dearly?

7. bloodisred says: Aug 6, 2013 2:18 PM

It’ be interesting to know how long viewers stayed “tuned in”. I’m a Cowboy fan and I found something else to watch/do before the 1st quarter ended.

8. therealjr says: Aug 6, 2013 2:18 PM

To those who watch and and attend these farcical games:

I assume you truly enjoy it and would rather not spend your time and money elsewhere. To each his own.

However, if you are doing all this, ‘because it’s there’, then you are a huge part of the problem.

9. skybox22blog says: Aug 6, 2013 2:18 PM

Hmmm, I wonder why!! The side of bread and butter thing.

10. flyboy69 says: Aug 6, 2013 2:20 PM

tlmoon2112 says: Aug 6, 2013 2:11 PM

……………………………………………………

@ tlmoon2112

Well said my friend…..Its good to have some sort of football in our life….for one day I did not have to deal with my Ex-wife ranting and raving…I call it free counseling….

11. stevew5 says: Aug 6, 2013 2:21 PM

This one time, at band camp…

12. kgun80 says: Aug 6, 2013 2:22 PM

That’s why the NFL is the true American pastime!! Well even tune in four fourth stringers and practice players

13. llcriticll says: Aug 6, 2013 2:22 PM

Out of the 10.1 million viewers i’ll bet more than half were fantasy footballers…….GOTTA FIND THAT STEAL!!!!!

14. radrntn says: Aug 6, 2013 2:23 PM

funny in todays paper the USA Today said 5.2 million, which was still the highest rating for a sunday since game 5 of the nba finals

15. bucrightoff says: Aug 6, 2013 2:24 PM

Gambling addictions are a hell of a drug…

16. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Aug 6, 2013 2:27 PM

The Dolphin unis are embarrassing — look like something out of the Arena Football League. The Dolphins brass really made a poo mess in their pants. Awful.

17. clssylssy says: Aug 6, 2013 2:27 PM

I followed all of the HOF events and commentary all weekend and loved every minute of it. I’m happy to hear something positive finally and can only hope that the NFL does not decide to dishonor the accomplishments of the true greats in professional football by making a gimmicky joke out of the HOF Game like they’re doing to the Probowl.

18. jbeagles23 says: Aug 6, 2013 2:30 PM

At this point I’d watch Cleveland play Arizona using only the last 22 men on their roster. Does August seen like the longest month to anyone else?

19. usdiveteam says: Aug 6, 2013 2:30 PM

Dallas is still Americas Team!!!

20. skybox22blog says: Aug 6, 2013 2:38 PM

Ialwayswantedtobeabanker, I’m with you on those unis. I don’t know what to make of that color. It looks like some children designed that. Kindergarten powder green/blue thing.

21. td30 says: Aug 6, 2013 2:38 PM

This singular-plural massacre in the headline is bugging me

22. gibson34 says: Aug 6, 2013 2:39 PM

HOW BOUT THOSE COWBOYS!!!!!

23. realfootballfan says: Aug 6, 2013 2:39 PM

Therefore, you’d think Goodell would stop trying gimmicks that aren’t needed when you’re already the king.

24. JSpicoli says: Aug 6, 2013 2:39 PM

25. hitdog042 says: Aug 6, 2013 2:40 PM

It started at 10mm and only drew a 2.9 18-49 overall. Still tops. Shows more of nobody was watching tv at all more than it shows it was #1.

By the end start of q4 it was 7.8 million.

In the entire USA.

Big deal.

26. thestrategyexpert says: Aug 6, 2013 2:41 PM

But there also weren’t many good shows on. At least not more than one that people couldn’t DVR. The Fall lineup hasn’t had it’s preseason yet otherwise these numbers would have dipped from this level.

27. aldante66 says: Aug 6, 2013 2:42 PM

Ya because the competition refuses to put a new show on against it, ergo nothing else to watch.
    The real number, who quit watching after about a half an hour raise your hands. Oh, 9.5 million.

28. scoops1 says: Aug 6, 2013 2:42 PM

Bar Rescue was more entertaining then this game

29. bobzilla1001 says: Aug 6, 2013 2:44 PM

We’ll see how people feel about preseason games after three weeks of them. I still can’t believe the NFL charges (and people pay) full price for these practice games. PT Barnum was right.

30. mwatts1 says: Aug 6, 2013 2:47 PM

Cowboy fans are like Lakers fans. They started watching in the 90′s, found a winner, decided to root for the winner, now claim they’re life long fans. Then later, they scream, GO Steelers!

31. Duckhomie says: Aug 6, 2013 2:50 PM

I loved it…and admit I have a problem.

32. harrisonhits2 says: Aug 6, 2013 2:51 PM

Maybe there were 10 million viewers at the start of the game but I doubt there were half that many by the end of the 2nd quarter. And I’d be surprised if there were even 1 million that watched it all the way to the end.

33. JSpicoli says: Aug 6, 2013 2:53 PM

34. isithockeyseasonyet says: Aug 6, 2013 2:59 PM

I love that the cowboys have sunk so low that their fans feel the need to gloat after preseason wins, good job, fellas. Eagles were 4-0 during last preseason also

35. justintuckrule says: Aug 6, 2013 2:59 PM

Half of those who watched are the same dopes who come on here begging for owners to slash prices to P.S. games. They are too dumb to know that NOT watching is the best way to tell the owners you disapprove of their prices and the best odds of actually having your voice heard. Sheep.

36. seahawks4alltime says: Aug 6, 2013 3:02 PM

“You got any idea how many married men have been waiting to say to their wife “Not now babe the game’s on!””

LOL, why would you marry a woman that doesn’t love football? My wife loves football every bit as much as I do.

37. earlcampbellrules says: Aug 6, 2013 3:04 PM

10.1 million people apparently have no life. Why anyone would waste their time watching preseason football is beyond me.

38. gibson34 says: Aug 6, 2013 3:09 PM

its because America’s team was playing…………everybody wants to check on the most valuable franchise in the NFL.

39. silverhornet says: Aug 6, 2013 3:15 PM

not surprising. Everyone wanted to check out the newest, greatest uniforms in the league.

40. seahawks4alltime says: Aug 6, 2013 3:15 PM

“I’m sure those stats are not subject to inflation due to any bars or restaurants showing anything sports 24/7.”

Granted that will be true for a certain number of bars/restaurants. But, they still have to choose a sports channel to put the TVs on. It’s not like the sports bars are all okay with watching golf when their is a football game on.

41. psuorioles says: Aug 6, 2013 3:23 PM

Really? There was a football game on Sunday…

42. threedeep1998 says: Aug 6, 2013 3:25 PM

I’m not sure how they get the number for viewers but I tuned in for maybe 5 minutes before “The Killing” started on AMC.

43. bucsducksipa says: Aug 6, 2013 3:30 PM

chiadam says: Aug 6, 2013 2:12 PM

10.1 million more viewers than the Pro Bowl.

2012 Pro Bowl drew a 7.9 I’m no mathalete chidam but that’s a difference of only 2.2 by my calculations. Just keep packing the water and eventually someone will let you have a drink.

44. youarejealousof6rings says: Aug 6, 2013 3:35 PM

If the Steelers were playing, it would have been at least 20 million.

45. dickroy says: Aug 6, 2013 3:35 PM

America’s team? Not in reality. Had the Steelers been playing any team, ratings would have been higher.
    The Steeler Nation

46. hendawg21 says: Aug 6, 2013 3:36 PM

I tried but not very entertaining…so I tuned to the Law and Order SVU marathon…and to have to listen to Chris and Al go on and on with the HOF-class and the interviews I couldn’t take it…

47. respectgsh says: Aug 6, 2013 3:56 PM

I love football, so I watched for like an hour then flipped on something way better, Dexter. After a awhile the poor play and those god awful new unis depressed me. What blows my mind is that the pro bowl gets more viewers than NBA conference finals and the Stanley Cup final, at least in the preseason guys are trying really hard. I guess football is just more fun to bet on.

48. granadafan says: Aug 6, 2013 3:58 PM

“JSpicoli says: Aug 6, 2013 2:39 PM
    Ina world where Honey Boo Boo attracts 3 million viewers per episode, this is not a surprise.”
    ============================================

In other words, NASCAR fans.

49. peytonsneck18 says: Aug 6, 2013 4:00 PM

by the 2nd quarter most turned off the game to watch pooty tang

50. wisewoo says: Aug 6, 2013 4:14 PM

While watching the HOF game I actually said to myself “this is how badly I just want to see some football.”

51. panthers34 says: Aug 6, 2013 4:20 PM

I watched the first half. I watch every minute of Panthers preseason games though.

52. bpayton52 says: Aug 6, 2013 4:31 PM

thestrategyexpert says:
    Aug 6, 2013 2:41 PM

except shark week started that night….

53. vaphinfan says: Aug 6, 2013 4:35 PM

It just shows any moron can run NFL. Yes im referring to Goodell.

54. cjvirnig says: Aug 6, 2013 4:37 PM

Keep in mind that a big reason why these numbers continue to go up is because NBC, ESPN, FOX, and CBS pay HUGE money to promote their NFL investments across all of their various platforms. As a result, they are able to manipulate the allegiances of your everyday sports fan.

Yes, that’s right. Your love of football has been bought by the networks. Most people will disagree. “Nobody buys my allegiance! I’m my own man and I make my own decisions,” you proudly proclaim.

No you don’t. Not at all, in fact.

Ask any advertising executive. Companies can (and do) buy brand loyalty by saturating you with ads and promotions for their products. You heard your favorite band on the radio (probably a Clear Channel station) because that group’s record label spent huge money to make sure YOU heard their hit single twice a day for a month straight.

Your obsession with the NFL isn’t because football is THAT much better than any other sport. It’s because the major networks have invested so heavily in it that they inundate you with a continuous cross promotion of the NFL, thus buying your loyalty and making you conform to what they want you to conform to.

You’ll laugh at this. But if you worked in the front office at one of these networks, you’d be laughing at you, too.

55. shadowcell says: Aug 6, 2013 4:39 PM

I watched the whole thing. It was entertaining enough, especially after a long spell of football-lessness that was filled instead with constant chattering about Aaron Hernandez and Riley Cooper. And it was fun to see the rookies trying to make a good impression.

And it gave a bunch of other people an opportunity to try to feel better about themselves by sneering about how watching preseason games is totally beneath them and anyone who watches them is a loser, so I guess everyone wins.

56. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 6, 2013 4:42 PM

My take away is that the Cowboys are still America’s team. Say what you want about having not won a playoff game in a while blah blah blah.

The fact is the Cowboys bring the ratings.
    Don’t hate the playa hate the game.

57. dkalev says: Aug 6, 2013 4:55 PM

Idk… Surprisingly enough i actually have come to enjoy the arena league in the offseason… Idk why they aren’t as big, its a good alternative to no football, and each game is certainly better than the last three quarters of a preseason game or the pro bowl…

58. billsboy88 says: Aug 6, 2013 5:34 PM

I turned it on, watched for a little bit just because it was good to see teams in formation with pads again, but after a few minutes I started doing something else. Admittedly, I left the game on the whole time, woefully boring as it is, it still made good background noise

59. lowleadman says: Aug 6, 2013 5:39 PM

If the game was against the Patriots and the Bristol County Sherriff’s All Star Team, they woulda drawn 70 million.

60. thestrategyexpert says: Aug 6, 2013 6:34 PM

bpayton52:

I’ve never watched Shark Week before, and usually worried that I’m going to see people playing with or taunting sharks and that’s not my thing.

I prefer Shark Tank. ;)

61. ncheelsboysfan says: Aug 6, 2013 6:36 PM

For preseason naysayers – preseason games are needed by players and coaches to train and learn against competition as they sort out rosters. If you dont like it DONT WATCH and SHUT UP) Noones making you pay for it.

Apparently alot of people enjoy it. The stadium sold out in addition to the large TV audience.

I, as a lifelong Cowboys fan, was glad to see football back and see what our down the roster guys were capable of. even if it wasnt starters it was entertaining – especially if you are following the teams in training camp.

Turn away or dont watch if you choose but many, including me, are glad to see it return.

Go Cowboys!

62. skybox22blog says: Aug 6, 2013 7:18 PM

The haters even come out during preseason and follow. Got to love it.

63. lennydpocketqb says: Aug 6, 2013 7:50 PM

I didn’t watch it… Followed it on twitter. I felt very entertained by the tweets.

64. Frazier28/7 says: Aug 7, 2013 5:30 PM

Anybody notice how it was more competitive than the pro bowl?