Jared Allen has ankle injury

Jared Allen AP

As Vikings defensive end Jared Allen enters his contract year, the perennial Pro Bowl has a problem.  Unless he doesn’t.

Per multiple reports, Allen suffered an ankle injury during practice on Tuesday.  He left the practice field limping, with the ankle wrapped.

“We’ll look it over and determine whether or not we need to do an MRI,” coach Leslie Frazier said, via Dan Wiederer of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Allen, who we just realized looks a little like the guy who plays Wilfred in Wilfred, wasn’t going to play in the preseason opener against the Texans even if he were healthy.

The Vikings have every reason to protect Allen.  He carries a cap number of more than $17 million, with 2013 compensation in excess of $14 million.

The team has shown no inclination to extend Allen’s contract, which could dramatically reduce his current-year cap charge.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
44 Responses to “Jared Allen has ankle injury”
  1. tremoluxman says: Aug 6, 2013 7:43 PM

Everson Griffen is a good insurance policy. Get well soon, JA.

2. 28for20 says: Aug 6, 2013 7:44 PM

Next Man Up!

3. longcutskolvikes says: Aug 6, 2013 7:53 PM

He’s fine. Probably won’t play in the preseason though.

4. Norseman says: Aug 6, 2013 7:54 PM

Minor injury. Should be fine.

5. kacimlangford says: Aug 6, 2013 8:01 PM

Thank God it wasn’t that dreaded ACL bug that has been going around.

6. purplepillager says: Aug 6, 2013 8:02 PM

I hope his ankle is ok and I hope the Vikes extend his contract. Allen is the heart of the Viking defense and he should be a Viking for the remainder of his career.

7. donth8thehorns says: Aug 6, 2013 8:05 PM

He will be ok

8. unbiasfan says: Aug 6, 2013 8:06 PM

Even with a broken ankle, Jared Allen could still get 5 sacks a game on the Packers depleted offensive line

9. gslumbers says: Aug 6, 2013 8:10 PM

Really hope JA is back soon. I’m a hard core packers fan, and as much as I don’t like the vikings, or trying to stomach their fans, this guy is fun to watch. Great motor, no quite. Hope to see him back soon. GO PACK

10. gslumbers says: Aug 6, 2013 8:14 PM

As a big Packers fan- I hope JA makes a quick recovery. As much a I dislike the vikings, as well as trying to stomach their fans- I like watching this guy play ball. Great motor, no quit. Hope to see him 100 % soon.

11. contra74 says: Aug 6, 2013 8:19 PM

Get well Jared! Lots of hunting for you this season so come back 100%

12. darkneptune73 says: Aug 6, 2013 8:23 PM

Ankle injury > ACL

Thank god #69 didn’t get the ACL plague.

13. johnnyjagfan says: Aug 6, 2013 8:24 PM

Which is why a guy with his age & ability doesn’t need to be wearing his ass out in camp. Super Bowls aren’t won or lost in August by your 10+ year vets.

14. edelmanfanclub says: Aug 6, 2013 8:24 PM

As long as his mullet is alright, I guarantee he has double digit sacks.

15. donth8thehorns says: Aug 6, 2013 8:28 PM

With the emergence of Everson Griffen, I’m not @ all worried! Guy is gonna be the future of the end position

16. gb4mn0 says: Aug 6, 2013 8:30 PM

Obviously Allen is disgusted with the lack of interest in extending his contract shown by the ungrateful vikqueefs. He’s faking an injury to save himself for his next team. Your purple toads should be ashamed.

17. donth8thehorns says: Aug 6, 2013 8:31 PM

It’s been a brutal year for injuries, I hope bulaga is ok too, want a fun rivalry this year between borders! Onky the string survive

18. firestarter0728 says: Aug 6, 2013 8:33 PM

I hope he’s OK, was looking forward to seeing JA getting his rear end handed to him by the Packers’ new rookie left tackle this year.

19. allday28mvpmvp says: Aug 6, 2013 8:36 PM

Jared is the type to play thru the lil stuff. Last year he played thru a torn labrum and still had like 16 sacks.

Even though JA played over 90% of defensive snaps last year, his replacement Everson Griffen, had 8 sacks… I think the Vikes are more than okay at DE

20. truthserum4u says: Aug 6, 2013 8:45 PM

Several people covering the team have stated they have the feeling the Vikings DO want Allen back and that something will eventually get done. Probably after the season when there will be a better feel for what the numbers should be.

21. germanstingray says: Aug 6, 2013 8:47 PM

Jared is more hairy than Wilfred, but Wilfred is vastly more intellectual.

22. duece5 says: Aug 6, 2013 8:47 PM

I heard he rolled his ankle after laughing so hard that Bulaga was going to try to defend him with the ACL tear.

23. supermariojosh says: Aug 6, 2013 8:58 PM

Oh man! Vikings are done! Marshall Newhouse is licking his chops!

24. thepvyharvin says: Aug 6, 2013 9:26 PM

As others stated….I think Allen would be fine. We have a guy foaming at the mouth to prove himself though, Everson Griffen. Super strong and fast. I really believe he will become a star, capable of big sack stats if given the snaps…

25. theytukrjobs says: Aug 6, 2013 9:48 PM

Hopefully he’s fine. Sundays are better with Jared Allen out there. If you disagree with that then you can get out.

26. theytukrjobs says: Aug 6, 2013 9:50 PM

Vikings seem content to let this season play out, then try to sign two of their three DE’s most likely. Griffen, Robison, and Allen are all starter caliber.

Allen is a beast but on decline.

Robison is solid but probably peaking short of an all pro type.

Griffen has potential as a star, though my money would be that his ceiling is just above average. He makes splash plays but isn’t great sometimes at the basic of run defense, staying in his lane, and batting down balls.

27. minhzy says: Aug 6, 2013 9:52 PM

Hopefully, he has a speedy recovery!

28. whatjusthapped says: Aug 6, 2013 10:05 PM

Minor injury but when you tie up $17 mil in a DE, there is something wrong with your GM.

I hope JA comes out the gate with his balls on fire, gets 6 or 8 sacks in the first few games. Then the Vikings will dump silly money on him in the middle of the season at which point he will do his annual disappearing act.

29. binkystevens says: Aug 6, 2013 10:09 PM

Hilarious that Vikings fans give the Packers crap for signing Aaron Rodgers to “such a huge contract”, yet Jared Allen, a defensive end, costs the Vikings nearly 20% of their cap at 17m this year. Next time Allen wins the MVP let me know

30. wheezerswin says: Aug 6, 2013 10:17 PM

I hope he will be 100% by season opener or Viking fan will surely use that as their excuse for losing to the Packers, yet again. Of course there is always some lame excuse. Last year it was Joe Webb, like it was the Packers fault the Vikings have terrible quarterbacks.

31. filthymcnasty1 says: Aug 6, 2013 10:21 PM

Good luck with the next phase of your life Jared. You will be missed.

32. filthymcnasty1 says: Aug 6, 2013 10:32 PM

We last saw this hapless, tasteless Viking team getting humiliated by the Packers as they finally played in their disastrous first playoff game of this decade. That Ponder chick sat out of the game with an arm bruise thingy.

This is the “excuse” Viking fans use to justify losing again – that it wasn’t fair because one of their guys had a bruise.

Let’s hope Jared’s horribly disfigured ankle isn’t as bad as Ponder’s arm bruise thingy.

33. sikoix says: Aug 6, 2013 11:17 PM

Allen is the top player on defense, but if the injury bug is going to bite any position, it might as well be the dline. Vikings have incredible depth there (and unlike some years, that’s not an optimistic homer statement).

34. larrydavid7000 says: Aug 6, 2013 11:27 PM

Who is this Jared Allen everyone is talking about.???? What team dose he play for.?????

35. vikingfan1971 says: Aug 6, 2013 11:58 PM

more pathetic comments from filthy

36. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Aug 7, 2013 12:20 AM

I wouldn’t worry about this. I don’t think this is a Percy Harvin-type of ankle injury, which makes you miss the last 9 weeks of the season and makes your coach suggest that you spend those 9 weeks as far away from the team as possible. I think it’s more of a veteran in training camp type of ankle injury, which a guy who doesn’t need to spend much time practicing uses to relax a bit during the dog days of training camp.

37. taintedsaints2009 says: Aug 7, 2013 12:22 AM

Everson Griffen is the future of that pass rush. Vikes should have traded Allen and Kevin Williams while they can still get high value for both. I’ve been saying that since the season ended. Seattle needs a pass rusher and a reliable tackle. It would be perfect since Winfield is there, and Allen would thrive with a dominant secondary. Williams is still top three run stoppers in the league. Vikes need to get younger. Perfect trade.

38. joeyashwi says: Aug 7, 2013 5:25 AM

As a Packer fan I can say with utmost certainty that Packer fans can’t stand filthy either. I hope Jared is okay. I love watching the Vikings and Packers play and want all the stars to be in the game.

39. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Aug 7, 2013 7:42 AM

Hmph, at his age I would have expected a hip injury…

40. vikingsrulez69 says: Aug 7, 2013 9:22 AM

Dang, probably minor, but maybe we should think twice before having fun at the expense of Packer injuries… Just sayin’…

41. minnesoulja says: Aug 7, 2013 9:49 AM

I dont know who the packer fans are talking too that say us (Minnesota) losing last years play off game was anybody’s “fault”.

Me and my circle didn’t make excuses. Both teams played hard. Our starting QB sat out and we had poor play out of our back-up.

These are the facts. Not opinions. Nobody blamed officiating or weather or coaching. We flat out didn’t play up to snuff.

42. keevel says: Aug 7, 2013 11:31 AM

As a Packer fan I have always enjoyed watching Jared Allen play at least 14 weeks each year. Glad to hear it is only a minor injury, hope it stays that way.

43. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Aug 7, 2013 11:34 AM

That picture looks like Jared is licking his chops at the thought of facing the Packers’ offensive line.

44. gdeli says: Aug 7, 2013 7:52 PM

Good player. I am concerned about his injuries the past two seasons and that reduces his productivity of course. As I said before, I think the Vikings will not re-sign Jared Allen so they can use the $14 million for 2014 to get a real good veteran QB. Because I do not think ponder can cut it and Kassel can’t cut it Either. Just being truthful.