Louis Delmas feels the best he’s felt in two years

Louis Delmas AP

After two years filled with uncertainty about his status because of knee injuries, the early days of camp looked like more of the same for Lions safety Louis Delmas.

He missed several days of practice last week because of what Lions coach Jim Schwartz described as soreness and swelling in his knee, but Delmas said Tuesday that the condition of his knee is better than it has been the last couple of years. He was a limited participant in practice for the second straight day, which he acknowledges doesn’t sound like much unless you’ve been battling pain in your knee.

“I feel like I can go out there and practice,” Delmas said, via Carlos Monarrez of the Detroit Free Press. “Like I’ve been telling my coach, this is the best I’ve felt in two years. I don’t know how much of a compliment that is, but that feels like a compliment to me.”

Delmas’ status for Friday’s preseason opener is still up in the air, but the Lions’ cautious approach to Delmas’ practice schedule suggests that they’ll go with other safeties with an eye on keeping Delmas on track for the regular season. Should their approach continue to keep Delmas feeling better than he has in years, the Lions defense will be much better for it.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Louis Delmas feels the best he’s felt in two years”
  1. blowpackblow says: Aug 6, 2013 3:39 PM

So 40%?

2. butlers91 says: Aug 6, 2013 3:46 PM

Ha ha, most likely! But I hope he is good…we could use him.

3. mack2x says: Aug 6, 2013 4:00 PM

This has to be it for Delmas. Next year we HAVE to draft his replacement.

4. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Aug 6, 2013 4:03 PM

The Packers, Bears and Vikings should be very scared about the coming season.

5. wearethechampsandyourenot says: Aug 6, 2013 4:10 PM

the lions are irrelevant

therefore louis delmas is irrelevant

#perenniallosers

6. somekat says: Aug 6, 2013 4:16 PM

best he has in two years? What does that mean? he’s always hurt

That’s like a midget wearing lifts, and saying “this is the tallest I’ve ever felt”, you are still a midget

7. conner87 says: Aug 6, 2013 4:37 PM

@somekat

He is not always hurt.. his first 3 years in the league he played in all possible games..

8. lionsdraftguy says: Aug 6, 2013 4:42 PM

Being the biggest Lions fan there is and actually WATCHING the games, I dont care if Delmas is on the field or not. Hes overrated. Anyone who thinks hes a playmaker simply does not watch the games.

Cool hair? Sure.
    Dances on the field. Ok..
    Cool helmet visor.
    Vocal.

But wheres the playmaking? It isnt there. He hasnt done a thing since his rookie year. Guy cant even understand how a Cover 1 works.

9. purpleguy says: Aug 6, 2013 4:56 PM

If he can’t practice because of sore knees following an entire off-season of pre-camp conditioning, there is zero chance he is an effective player throughout the entire season. Very soon, this will be the same old story. Wait, the first week of camp has already been the same old story. . . . .

10. smstonerock says: Aug 6, 2013 5:09 PM

Lionsdraftguy, When healthy, Delmas is one of the best safeties in the league, period. I understand where you’re coming from, sort of, but when you take into account everything he does for the defense, he is a game changer. His pursuit to the ball carrier is second to none. Has he missed some tackles here and there? Sure, and its frustrating. But the bottom line is he transforms this defense when he’s in there.

11. jimmylions says: Aug 6, 2013 6:15 PM

As a team leader Delmas makes everyone around him play better. The entire defense plays better when he’s on the field. He reminds me a little of Bennie Blades. Delmas is a team leader.

12. kpow55 says: Aug 6, 2013 6:41 PM

Didn’t he just sit out a few days ago because of an injury?

I know it’s just practice but truly healthy people are usually out there.

Great defender who know one would be shocked if he tripped in the tunnel on day 1 and was out all of 2013.