Robert Mathis: It’s weird playing without Dwight Freeney

Miami Dolphins v Indianapolis Colts Getty Images

Dwight Freeney admitted recently that he was upset that the Colts didn’t make an offer to keep him when he became a free agent this offseason because he wanted to retire as a member of the organization.

If he had remained in Indianapolis, Freeney would have continued his partnership with Robert Mathis. As defensive ends for many years and as linebackers in 2012, the two players provided the tip of the spear for the Colts’ pass rush and Freeney admitted it’s “uncomfortable” without Mathis being on the field with him.

Mathis has been dealing with some of the same feelings as he adapts to the new state of affairs on the Colts defense.

“It’s weird. It’s really, really weird,” Mathis said, via Michael Marot of the Associated Press. “It’s something you have to get used to because for a decade, we’ve been talking together at camp.”

Mathis had more success with the move to outside linebacker last season and enters this year as the veteran leader of a defense that has turned over dramatically in the last few years. If his production remains at the same level without Freeney on the other side, there’s a good chance that he’ll wind up as the franchise’s all-time sacks leader while joining wide receiver Reggie Wayne as a bridge from one successful Colts era to what they hope will be another one led by Andrew Luck.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Robert Mathis: It’s weird playing without Dwight Freeney”
  1. jlmd17 says: Aug 6, 2013 10:38 AM

You mean freeney the tackling machine? He actually had 23 tackles the last two years and I’m pretty sure for half of those the RB tripped over him as he laid on the ground.

2. flutener333 says: Aug 6, 2013 11:11 AM

When I think about the top run-stuffing defensive ends in the league, Dwight Freeney is always in my top 5. He was the standard setter with 12 tackles last year and 11 the year before.

And for as good as people want to believe Freeney was, Mathis is only 16 sacks behind him for the all-time Colts sack leader. And he actually played the run. Two years from now, will Mathis be considered the best DE ever to play for the Colts?

3. indywilson40 says: Aug 6, 2013 11:25 AM

Anyone claiming Mathis is better than Freeney is a clown. Freeney has been double and triple teamed his entire career. Quit looking at numbers and look at how o-coordinators schemed to stop Freeney.

4. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: Aug 6, 2013 11:50 AM

jlmd17 says:
    Aug 6, 2013 10:38 AM

Somebody give our special needs child his medicine. You obviously don’t watch much football and I suspect your a Ratards fan. But wiping whats left of you off as I move on I can see why robert will miss freeney, he was a beast. But I suspect we will do just fine without him.

5. ambitoos says: Aug 6, 2013 11:53 AM

Upset but not devastated. He’s looking real good in San Diego.

6. malvaren18 says: Aug 6, 2013 12:57 PM

I used to be a Colts fan, but ever since they started treating there franchise players like s……. , I gave up on the Colts I wish them luck, with the team they have now, but I’m a Manning, Freeney fan for life however long that is.

7. surfinbird1 says: Aug 6, 2013 1:23 PM

Charger players are gonna be sayin’the same thing pretty soon.

8. kepdogg23 says: Aug 6, 2013 5:41 PM

malvaren18 says:
    Aug 6, 2013 12:57 PM

I am also a lifelong Freeney and Manning fan, but you either weren’t really a Colts fan, or you didn’t pay attention to either situation, when they parted ways with Manning or Freeney.

The Colts had just paid Manning 20+ million to sit on the bench for a season, and were faced with paying a 20+ million bonus without knowing if he was going to be healthy or not.

It is easy for Dwight to come out and say he was hurt after not getting a contract offer, but he was asking for $8 million a season in free agency. I doubt that the Colts offering 6-7 million less than that would have went real well.

I assume you would have jumped ship in 2-3 years when the Colts were terrible for not making these difficult decisions when they did.