Chris Kluwe to speak at American Atheists convention

Chris Kluwe AP

Raiders punter Chris Kluwe, one of the NFL’s most outspoken players, now plans to speak out on another issue that may cause some controversy.

Kluwe has been named as one of the speakers at the 2014 national convention of American Atheists.

Lots of NFL players wear their religion on their sleeves, but it’s rare for an NFL player to publicly speak about his lack of religious faith. In NFL locker rooms, it’s common for the head coach to lead the team in reciting the Lord’s Prayer, and it’s usually just assumed that no one in the locker room would have any issue with that. So by speaking at an atheist convention, Kluwe is putting himself pretty far outside the NFL mainstream.

Kluwe himself is not an atheist. In his new book, Beautifully Unique Sparkleponies, he refers to himself as “cheerfully agnostic” and writes, “Atheists confuse me,” because they seem too certain about their belief. Kluwe thinks both atheists and religious believers should leave room for doubt about their world views.

Whether you agree or disagree with Kluwe’s views, he’s smart, engaging and funny in the way he articulates those views. This speech will surely be no different.

Permalink 85 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
85 Responses to “Chris Kluwe to speak at American Atheists convention”
  1. dbdcrewmatt says: Aug 7, 2013 12:19 PM

Keep religion out of football!!!

2. 619sdfan4life says: Aug 7, 2013 12:20 PM

Wow…so he thinks a fish turned into a monkey that turned into a man…or he thinks two random cells exploded and created mankind. Cool story bro. God bless Chris takes more faith to believe that man kind just existed then it does to believe a higher power created us.

3. pathsovglory says: Aug 7, 2013 12:21 PM

well good for him.

4. 619sdfan4life says: Aug 7, 2013 12:21 PM

If course he is the same guy that said they were going to win the Super Bowl. Now that’s something we all can believe Chris

5. upperdecker19 says: Aug 7, 2013 12:24 PM

Tim Tebow demands an explanation

6. psychoraider904 says: Aug 7, 2013 12:24 PM

This guy is a clown. You’re a punter. Why am I hearing about you so much in the news? I really hope King beat this guy out in training camp so we can cut this guy.

7. godblessfootball says: Aug 7, 2013 12:26 PM

That’s ok Chris, but I will pray for you.

8. commonsensedude says: Aug 7, 2013 12:30 PM

In related news, he is also being wooed to become a member of the American Association of Annoying Attention Seekers. “Chris Kluwe belongs here,” says the group’s President, Kim Kardashian. “He’s clearly one of us” agreed Vice-President Terrell Owens.

9. Stiller43 says: Aug 7, 2013 12:35 PM

Why would this cause controversy? Plenty of people are agnostic of atheist, and he’s not shoving his (lack of) faith down our throats like some players shove their faiths down our throat *cough tebow cough*.

I doubt someone now WONT go buy a kluwe jersey because he is agnostic and speaks at an atheists convention…

10. joshmac982 says: Aug 7, 2013 12:37 PM

Seems like a non-story. I’m sure some will find a way to spin this into “he’s being a distraction.”

11. jredshoes says: Aug 7, 2013 12:38 PM

He doesn’t have to worry about going to Hell because he’s already on the Raiders.

12. aequitas83 says: Aug 7, 2013 12:39 PM

Kluwe is right – Atheism (although not religious in the traditional sense) is still a belief system (albeit, frankly, one with much more empiracle evidence than any other belief system). The closest thing to having a “lack of religious faith: is probably agnosticism, or the belief that the existence of a particular deity or religious figure is unknowable.

13. blackandbluedivision says: Aug 7, 2013 12:41 PM

some how playing for the Raiders seems pretty fitting for an atheist.

14. raiders85 says: Aug 7, 2013 12:41 PM

I didn’t want this guy to begin with he’s average at best I don’t care what your believes are or how much you try to get attention with shock value this team is rebuilding we’ve been struggling to say the least andthis is the last thing we need

15. henryjones20 says: Aug 7, 2013 12:42 PM

ok its time for this punter to go away.he was in his glory all last year! NEXT!!

16. aaroncurryisbust says: Aug 7, 2013 12:42 PM

His shtick is irritating and has worn thin.

17. mezter says: Aug 7, 2013 12:44 PM

Most people have a misconception of what atheism is. Atheists, like myself, aren’t claiming that we know the absolute truth about anything. We don’t claim there isn’t a god. We just simply believe there is no reason to believe there is one. Good atheists are just people who question everything and live their lives for logic, education, and learning. Science and education have been put on the back burner in society, and religion has a lot to do with that. Believe what you will, it’s everyone for themselves. Atheism just chooses to question the old teachings, rather then take every religion for their word. That’s all. Free thinkers and answer seekers = atheism.

18. raiderinva says: Aug 7, 2013 12:45 PM

This guy is an attention seeking goof ball.

If I pulled half the crap that he pulls I would have politley been shown the door at work a long time ago.

Your a Punter, just punt the damn ball.

19. theytukrjobs says: Aug 7, 2013 12:45 PM

Atheists are pretty hardcore with their beliefs. It is funny because whenever I hang out with one they want to talk religion and I’m always like trying to change the subject.

I mean everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I sometimes get uncomfortable around hardcore zealots such as most atheists I know. Just too extreme for my tastes. I prefer a down the earth Christian over a tuned up and tweaked out atheist who’s out trying to change the world and speak ill about anyone who disagrees with their superior views.

20. nananatman says: Aug 7, 2013 12:46 PM

I like him, good at what he does.

21. jonirocit says: Aug 7, 2013 12:46 PM

Wait he kicks a football for a living? Ohh I better run down to see what he has to say . ………Or maybe I’ll just wait for you guys to report it . It’s pretty important so make sure you get it out ASAP .

22. contraisloosebuthole says: Aug 7, 2013 12:49 PM

Kluwe seems like a better guy every time I read about him.

23. softhelmet says: Aug 7, 2013 12:49 PM

God only knows, wait I’m not sure I meant that!

24. andyr2120 says: Aug 7, 2013 12:51 PM

It is funny how many players talk like Ned Flanders after the game – especially if they won – and live the rest of their lives like crazed hedonists. Live your life as you choose, but spare me the false piety.

25. jphavig says: Aug 7, 2013 12:52 PM

Agnostics are just atheists without any balls. Go Raiders!

26. therealbleedcoltsblue says: Aug 7, 2013 12:54 PM

If there WAS a God, the Saints wouldn’t have a Super Bowl title.

Just saying.

27. raiderinvader says: Aug 7, 2013 12:54 PM

Go Marquette King ! I really hope he out performs this head case in the pre season.

28. thirdistheworrd says: Aug 7, 2013 12:57 PM

Should we get an article on which players go to church; which players get their news from CNN, or FOX; which players argue with their wives or neighbors; or which players are totally addicted to Orange is the new Black? (Crazy good show if you haven’t checked it out yet) Why don’t we hear about which players are supporting or organizing charity events: something that actually does matter?

I think the real issue here is how the media selects stories designed to spark controversy over trivial details in order to generate readership. Kluwe’s views or extracurricular activities will not have any affect on his abilities as a punter, and his personal views should not affect your perception of him as a player– unfortunately, stories like this assure they will, for better or for worse.

29. smartanis says: Aug 7, 2013 12:57 PM

Wait, is Kluwe a brony?

30. dobreshunka says: Aug 7, 2013 12:57 PM

A gay player will come in the NFL before an atheist does.

American society is quickly coming to the realization that bias against gay players is morally and socially unacceptable. Atheists, however, are still fair game, and announcing that you don’t believe in God would likely get you cut/traded/not re-signed by 75% of the league…not to mention all the death threats from fans.

31. humblefollowerofjesuschrist says: Aug 7, 2013 12:58 PM

Glad the Vikings cut this dude. He is just seeking attention.

32. thirdistheworrd says: Aug 7, 2013 12:58 PM

therealbleedcoltsblue says: Aug 7, 2013 12:54 PM

If there WAS a God, the Saints wouldn’t have a Super Bowl title.

Just saying.
    __________
    I like the Saints, but that is just flat out funny

33. radrntn says: Aug 7, 2013 1:00 PM

the more time goes on the more i am rooting for marquette king….kluwe seems to be more focused on other things at this time.

34. taintedsaints2009 says: Aug 7, 2013 1:04 PM

Did I hear the sound of somebody butting in? It must be the NFLs Chris kluwe! America’s answer to a question NO ONE ASKED!!!

35. fdugrad says: Aug 7, 2013 1:04 PM

I would FAR rather hear Kluwe regarding his no-beliefs any day and be spared the faux fundamentalism of Ray, Ray every time he has the microphone.

36. charlesanakin says: Aug 7, 2013 1:06 PM

Can we have more articles about football and half decent football players please?

37. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 7, 2013 1:06 PM

As long as he doesn’t bring the sparkleponies. You ever have to clean up the crap from those things? It’s the worst.

38. wcman says: Aug 7, 2013 1:07 PM

As usual few actually understand what atheism means. Mezter is right on the money. Atheism is not a belief or a religion. It is simply a way of thinking that refuses to accept something which cannot be proven such as a God. If you ask any Atheist, they’d be more than happy to see evidence of a God and if palpable, they would allow for the possibility. The problem is religion is based on legend and mid evil stories that have no basis in Science or fact. Atheists are simply unwilling to put credence into supernatural beliefs that originated in a time of ignorance. People can believe whatever they like to get them through the night, but the bible has about as much credibility as Grimms Fairy tales Scientifically.

39. granadafan says: Aug 7, 2013 1:07 PM

I respect all views on religion. However, I 100% object when the fundamenalists shove their religious views down our throats. Atheists are vocal but are nothing compared to the evangelicals. They are the ones trying to destroy the Separation of church and State. Religion does NOT belong in politics or our laws.

40. raiderufan says: Aug 7, 2013 1:16 PM

619sdfan4life says:
    Aug 7, 2013 12:20 PM

This _____ needs science!!!

41. periferal26 says: Aug 7, 2013 1:16 PM

When you accept yourself, you can accept others.

If you believe in god or don’t, it’s says more about you when you have a problem with others’ beliefs than it does them.

42. nofrets66 says: Aug 7, 2013 1:17 PM

Glad to see some enlightened comments amidst the dreck on this one. As a lifelong atheist who values peace, love and respect for everyone’s beliefs, I get sick of how maligned we often are in popular culture. I’m not vocal about my lack of belief, and try to just live and lead by example. I get tired of people assuming that public prayer or team prayer is not divisive — it is. I’ve been in locker rooms with team prayers going on, and while I get it, and the idea of fellowship is cool, it sure doesn’t feel inclusive.

43. maddenboy says: Aug 7, 2013 1:18 PM

“wcman says: Aug 7, 2013 1:07 PM

As usual few actually understand what atheism means. Mezter is right on the money. Atheism is not a belief or a religion”

— this is correct as far as it goes, but it misses one point. And Kluwe misses the same point.

Athiesm is NOT a belief. It is a LACK of belief. Kluwe thinks that “athiests believe” something.

Wrong. And if you’re going to speak at their convention, you’d better get that straight.

44. Sir Raider Duck, OMS says: Aug 7, 2013 1:22 PM

I wonder if everybody slamming Kluwe for this speaking engagement was similarly outraged by Tim Tebow’s fervent praying.

Or is that different?

45. raiderufan says: Aug 7, 2013 1:22 PM

Did Chris Kluwe make a league wide announcement or make a point for the media to know he’s doing this? I don’t get the point of this article?

I doubt it was the first church that Leroy Butler was going to speak at but you certainly didn’t announce all the others before it…how is this different? Just seems odd.

And by the way…Metzer hit nail on head. Well said my friend.

46. natelan69 says: Aug 7, 2013 1:22 PM

Smartest man in the NFL.

47. scrp2 says: Aug 7, 2013 1:23 PM

Ray Guy, first ballot HOF’er

48. shackdelrio says: Aug 7, 2013 1:25 PM

An openly gay player would be more widely accepted in an NFL locker room than a player that is openly an atheist.

49. nyyjetsknicks says: Aug 7, 2013 1:27 PM

granadafan says:
    Aug 7, 2013 1:07 PM

__________________

Atheist are only vocal in response to religion. Keep religion out of government, out of public schools and you wouldn’t hear from 99% of Atheist.

50. shackdelrio says: Aug 7, 2013 1:29 PM

@maddenboy:

I would be interested to see what is Kluwe’s exact quote in his book. And if he used the word “belief”.

51. tennesseeoilers says: Aug 7, 2013 1:33 PM

I’ve been a conservative evangelical for more than 35 years, and I welcome the contribution of folks like Chris Kluwe. Why? Because it’s refreshingly conversational. Whether you’re a fellow evangelical, an agnostic, an atheist, or a person of another faith, if you’re not open to listening, to being teachable, then you’re not living a meaningful life.

52. fground says: Aug 7, 2013 1:36 PM

dbdcrewmatt says:
    Aug 7, 2013 12:19 PM
    Keep religion out of football!!!

Football is the number 1 religion in the US.

53. tbutler704 says: Aug 7, 2013 1:36 PM

Punters have too much free time.

54. taosravenfan says: Aug 7, 2013 1:38 PM

The guy need to just shut up already. I have as much respect for his political and religious opinion as I do Sean penn or Matt Damon. I can’t wait until he out of football and out of e public eye. His 15 minutes of fame has lasted way too long

55. dexterismyhero says: Aug 7, 2013 1:48 PM

Well I believe……I’ll have another beer!!!

Thanks, I’ll be here all week!!!!!

56. abqpacker says: Aug 7, 2013 1:49 PM

I agree with my fellow evangelical above – let’s not be afraid to talk (and listen) and even have our beliefs challenged. I still have questions (some might call them doubts), and I’m glad to hear Kluwe pretty much express that he does too.

57. breadslicer says: Aug 7, 2013 1:50 PM

I would love to hear Mr. Kluwe define atheism. His reason for not understanding atheists reveal he doesn’t understand atheism.

And BTW, one is either theistic or atheistic (with or without religion). ‘Agnostic’ is a superset of both but often, as it appears in Mr. Luwe’s case, it is used as atheism with an insurance policy.

58. hrmlss says: Aug 7, 2013 1:53 PM

Distractions get cut….I’m sure he’ll claim it was discrimination.

59. filthymcnasty1 says: Aug 7, 2013 1:57 PM

It’s amazing how many players stop believing in God after a few years with the Vikings.

60. pillowporkers says: Aug 7, 2013 2:00 PM

————————————————————-

So Tebow is shoving his religion down your throat how? Praying before a game?

But your right, Chris Kluwe doesn’t shove any of his agnostic/athiest beliefs down anyone’s throat. You know, parading around about gay marriage and writing books about it isn’t shoving he’s beliefs down people’s throats.

61. painsyndicate says: Aug 7, 2013 2:02 PM

Kluwe is an irrelevant, controversial-just-to-be-controversial busybody. We will finally hear the last of his inane ramblings when he can’t even make the Raiduhs’ roster.

62. buckybadger says: Aug 7, 2013 2:10 PM

Funny how people are saying he is just doing something for attention when they don’t like the view. This wouldn’t bring any attention if you didn’t give it to him.

63. bdawkins2 says: Aug 7, 2013 2:16 PM

619sdfan4life says:
    Aug 7, 2013 12:20 PM

————————————————–

If there is a God & he did create us, he has one hell of a sense of humor to create a species that has the ability to learn some much about the world they live in through science and yet at the same time has the ability to ignore what we learn through science.

Good one!

64. pkrlvr says: Aug 7, 2013 2:18 PM

You notice how much more level headed and intelligent the posts from the atheists are in this thread? That being said, death is scary and I understand that believing in the afterlife comforts people, but when it serves to divide and alienate, it is a negative influence that we don’t need.

65. sanityinsd says: Aug 7, 2013 2:21 PM

Check out the South Park episode titled ‘The Poor Kid’ for another view on agnosticism. And PBR and PSU.

66. raiderufan says: Aug 7, 2013 2:23 PM

pillowporkers says:
    Aug 7, 2013 2:00 PM

So Tebow is shoving his religion down your throat how? Praying before a game?

I’m sorry but standing up for gay rights certainly isn’t shoving atheistic thoughts down your throat. It’s shoving basic civil rights in your ear but your brain is closed. Don’t worry, your ancestors probably stood in front of court houses and protested womens rights….and rights for african americans….and bi-racial marriage…

And just like all those topics we’ll look back and think “why’d we waste our time”. Turns out the world should be more worried about real issues. Not who people want to live and have a sexual relationship with. If your belief doesn’t accept it, that’s fine. We can’t ask you to understand and not try to as well. But your belief should have no standing in a union recognized by the government. It can’t. Look at this page…so many beliefs…and not one or a lack of one should be recognized by a governing body anymore than the other.

67. bdawkins2 says: Aug 7, 2013 2:23 PM

pillowporkers says:
    Aug 7, 2013 2:00 PM

So Tebow is shoving his religion down your throat how? Praying before a game?

————————————————–

Actually, no. I’ve never seen him mention his book during a game telecast or interview. I don’t think he sought out this article. He was named to speak at a convention. PFT picked up on that fact. He didn’t put out a press release. He usually speaks about these things outside the confines of the sport. If you chose to read the articles, etc, that’s your choice. Now Tebow on the other hand does it during a sporting event. Regardless of my religious beliefs, if I want to watch a little football, there’s Tebow (well he was, until people figured out he wasn’t very good at it).
    You can still enjoy a football game without hearing about Kluwe’s beliefs. You didn’t have to click on this article did you? But it’s virtually impossible to watch a football game Tebow is playing in and not see him pray. Or see him complete more than 50% of his passes.

Gay marriage is not a religious issue. There are plenty of people of different religions who support gay marriage.

68. wipackman1265 says: Aug 7, 2013 2:23 PM

Says it all…… Minnesota Viking … Godless. …

69. hatesycophants says: Aug 7, 2013 2:26 PM

Some folks take other people’s (priests, preachers, rabbis, etc) interpretation of the bible literally. Almost invariably, those same folks only accept certain portions literally and attempt to explain away others.

Are there really people who believe the earth is only 5 – 10,000 years old?

70. thehouseofho says: Aug 7, 2013 2:39 PM

How exactly is Kluwe seeking any kind of attention? Is he going around telling everyone he’s speaking at this convention? The atheist association listed him as a speaker and that’s how it came about. The reason this is a story is because he’s a football player.

As for his speeches about gay marriage. Why is he not allowed to speak about it publicly? Is it because he’s a punter and he’s not supposed to have his own opinion? Are his political opinions dismissed simply because he’s a football player? Maybe only people with political science degrees should speak openly about politics. Oh wait…he does have a political science degree. Dammit.

71. rushmatic says: Aug 7, 2013 2:43 PM

aequitas83 says:

_____

You’re wrong. Atheism is a lack of belief. It’s not a belief system at all.

As an aside, good for Kluwe.

72. robgilman says: Aug 7, 2013 3:21 PM

This guy is obnoxious. I really don’t find him to be much more intelligent than the next guy. He does however want everybody to know how “intelligent” he is.

I miss Lechler already.

73. shadowcell says: Aug 7, 2013 3:23 PM

smartanis says: Aug 7, 2013 12:57 PM

Wait, is Kluwe a brony?

—-

now *that* is something you will never see in the NFL.

74. hendeeze says: Aug 7, 2013 3:43 PM

It’s hilarious that Kluwe is going to speak at a convention that has nothing to do with football, and people here whining about him mixing religion and football. Even though he has done NOTHING to promote it to the football community. But when players thank god after every win, nobody bats and eye. Double standard much?

75. CKL says: Aug 7, 2013 3:52 PM

theytukrjobs says:
    Aug 7, 2013 12:45 PM

_______________________________
    Anyone who is hardcore about anything is like that. It’s not limited to atheists, religious people, political parties etc.

I’m a pretty hardcore atheist but I never try to tell others they should feel as I do or criticize them for believing in god. It’s simply not my place or my business. Funny thing, I learned respect for others beliefs from my religious father who never shoves it down anyone’s throat. His beliefs manifest themselves in how he lives his life, which is the best showcase.

76. slomax10 says: Aug 7, 2013 3:55 PM

Here’s how I do it, works well for me

Is that person gay – don’t care
    Is that person Christian (or any religion) – don’t care
    Is that person a different race – don’t care

I could go on, but you get my point. My question is, as long as my neighbour isn’t doing anything illegal, why should I care? When did people start worrying so much about what other people are doing? Worry about leading your own life in a positive way and just leave people alone.

BTW – I am a white, non-Christian male that likes women….do you care? Exactly. What if I was a black Christian woman that likes other women…I still don’t care, do you?

77. reginaldselkirk says: Aug 7, 2013 4:01 PM

hendeeze says: “Even though he has done NOTHING to promote it to the football community.”

Kluwe has been parading his lack of belief by not putting Bible verses on his eyeblack.

78. reginaldselkirk says: Aug 7, 2013 4:05 PM

I am surprised to find that some people think Tim Tebow is religious. Hey people, HE WORKS ON THE SABBATH! And you know what the Bible says about that.

79. robgilman says: Aug 7, 2013 4:08 PM

To the ppl saying Kluwe isn’t seeking attention… Do a search of all the tv, radio and pod cast interviews he has done, speaking out about his beliefs. This speech is another opportunity to be in the spotlight. Some ppl need to receive attention to compensate for insecurities. Kluwe is one of those ppl

80. gdeli says: Aug 7, 2013 7:41 PM

I thought the keynote speaker would be Bill maher Adam Corolla Or pen Gillette.
    Also don’t tell this to Saints fans! Ha

81. raiderapologist says: Aug 7, 2013 9:28 PM

thegreatgabbert says: Aug 7, 2013 1:06 PM

————
    Worse than stripper glitter, for sure.

82. pastaman29 says: Aug 7, 2013 11:34 PM

The terms ‘atheist’ and ‘agnostic’ are not mutually exclusive. The former has to do with ‘belief’ or lack thereof while the latter has to do with what one knows or doesn’t. So one can be labeled an’agnostic atheist’ or a ‘gnostic atheist.’ Conversely, one can be an ‘agnostic theist’ or ‘gnostic theist.’ Most theists will claim to be gnostic in that they absolutely know there’s a God and believe there’s a God. Most atheists, however, will assert that they don’t know if there’s a God but they believe there is no God. Hence, most atheists are actually ‘agnostic atheists’ while theists most often deem themselves ‘gnostic theists.’ As a side note, atheism in itself is not a belief system. It’s a complete lack of belief. For example, a theist states: “God exists.” An atheist’s simple reply is: “I don’t believe you.” The burden of proof then falls upon the person making the claim. One cannot simply turn the tables and say: “Prove there’s not a God.” That’s a fallacy. If I were to say that I have a fire-breathing dragon at home, most people would want to see proof of that. Therefore, I cannot turn the tables and say: “Prove that I don’t have a fire-breathing dragon.’

83. GO FOR TWO SPORTS says: Aug 8, 2013 12:00 AM

619sdfan4life says: Aug 7, 2013 12:20 PM

——————————————————–
    I hope nobody tells this guy the Easter bunny is fake too, he will get really upset. By the way I hope you never lied down with a women while she was on her period because the bible is against that

84. thibbledorfpwent says: Aug 8, 2013 1:40 AM

Honestly anyone who devotes him/herself to any sort of faith-based belief system created by humankind is an idiot; atheists, Christians, Muslims, feminists and Hindus, etc, alike. They’re all just a way for someone to feel like they can assert their superiority – in one form or another – over someone else. Get over yourself bro.

85. jpherling says: Aug 8, 2013 9:26 AM

Are we also supposed to leave room for doubt as to the existence of unicorns and little green men from Mars? When there’s no evidence for the existence of something, particularly something supposedly supernatural, then that something doesn’t exist. You can keep an open mind and wait until someone presents convincing evidence, but until then, an atheist is a realist and an agnostic is a person who has trouble making up his mind.