Kidney disease forces Donald Jones to retire

Buffalo Bills v New England Patriots Getty Images

Wide receiver Donald Jones scheduled a few visits with other teams after his release by the Patriots last month, but he won’t be joining any of them for the 2013 season.

Jones announced via Twitter on Wednesday that he will be retiring from the NFL because of a kidney disease that he has had for his entire life.

“As some of you may know, I have been suffering from a kidney disease throughout my entire life,” Jones wrote. “As a result of recent advances in my disease, I am no longer able to pursue my career in the National Football League. Playing in the NFL was a lifelong dream of mine, and though I have the opportunity to continue my career, stepping away from the game is absolute best decision for my family and for my health.”

Jones signed with the Bills as an undrafted free agent in 2010 and caught 82 passes for 887 yards and six touchdowns during his three years with the team. He signed a three-year deal with the Patriots as a free agent, but his stay was a brief one that turned out to be his final days in an NFL uniform. We hope Jones is able to enjoy a long, happy and healthy life and wish him the best in his fight against the disease.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
30 Responses to “Kidney disease forces Donald Jones to retire”
  1. nananatman says: Aug 7, 2013 5:32 PM

Continued success guy.

2. deepseabreeze says: Aug 7, 2013 5:45 PM

i liked the guy. had some pretty good games for buffalo, thought he had potential. best of luck to him.

3. dirtybird28 says: Aug 7, 2013 5:51 PM

That’s too bad to hear. I wish him the best.

4. nfl4days says: Aug 7, 2013 6:02 PM

Good luck bro.

5. prmpft says: Aug 7, 2013 6:06 PM

I’m with deepseabreeze – GOD bless DJ and his family…I hope everything turns out well for him.

6. GrossmanDaSexCannon says: Aug 7, 2013 6:10 PM

I really really liked this guy. Wish he retired as a Bill instead of with the enemy though.

7. EJ says: Aug 7, 2013 6:13 PM

I was sad to hear that he was not going to get resigned by Buffalo, I was even more upset to see him in a Patriot uniform, but hearing this news is much worse. Jones showed a bunch of skill the year he was signed as an undrafted free agent and only got better as time went on. Good luck in your future Donald!! #BillsMafia

8. jagsfan1 says: Aug 7, 2013 6:16 PM

Wish you a full recovery.

9. 3 Finger Lenny says: Aug 7, 2013 6:20 PM

Beat it

10. nysportsrule says: Aug 7, 2013 6:22 PM

Your life should always come before your career. Best of luck dude!

11. pissyellowrags says: Aug 7, 2013 6:26 PM

he wasnt good enough to make any teams anyway

12. mcguenther13 says: Aug 7, 2013 6:43 PM

Class act all the way…..best of luck to Donald, better days are still to come and you can always call Buffalo home

13. tindeaux says: Aug 7, 2013 7:01 PM

good luck jones. Do the best for you and your family!

14. jrebar88 says: Aug 7, 2013 7:25 PM

Rahim Moore ended him.

15. scoobies05 says: Aug 7, 2013 8:08 PM

good luck to you

16. seanb20124 says: Aug 7, 2013 8:20 PM

I know nothing about him, but wish the best for his future

17. buffal0sportsfan says: Aug 7, 2013 8:24 PM

Terrible story best wishes to Jones and his family. Great guy and will always be a bill on the inside.

18. censoredagain says: Aug 7, 2013 8:38 PM

Thats a smart young man with his priorities in the right place. Best of luck in your future endeavours!

19. themackstrong says: Aug 7, 2013 8:45 PM

I watched a Bills game and this receiver made a few high ball and athletic catches. I looked him up and it Donald Jones and I instantly thought this guy’s guy potential. Wish him health and long life because there is so much more than football even if it doesn’t seem that way.

20. jetsoptimist says: Aug 7, 2013 8:46 PM

I wish him the best! I have a question though, isn’t there someone who could give him a kidney transplant? I honestly don’t know the answer but if anybody does know please school me on that. I also have no clue about his family situation and everything, obviously. I do praise him for walking away at an early age, keeping his health at the top of his priorities!

21. 1goodsport says: Aug 7, 2013 9:17 PM

Wishing this young man all the best… its obvious that he is a very intelligent man who has earned his education, made pro football money, and set himself up in one of the best possible positions to deal with this issue moving forward….

22. jiggy3198 says: Aug 7, 2013 9:44 PM

Good luck and keep fighting. I’m glad you are able to reach your dreams and play in the NFL.

23. bballnut50 says: Aug 7, 2013 9:46 PM

Long lines for kidneys, serious disease. Wish him best.

24. lingsun54 says: Aug 7, 2013 10:22 PM

I’m not sure what kind of kidney disease he has. Normally you have to go on dialysis or get a kidney transplant. Dialysis isn’t a good substitute for working kidneys. If you don’t get a transplant you’re most likely going to die young. My late first wife developed kidney disease when she was 17. She died when she was 30.

25. vincelombardisghost says: Aug 7, 2013 10:25 PM

I, too, have kidney disease. I have PKD, Poly Cystic Kidney disease. It’s hereditary and incurable. In a nutshell, cysts grow and can push on your internal organs. Draining them can help, but they can grow back larger and affect other organs so thats a risk one takes with that procedure. My first bout with PKD resulted in three surgeries, the last of which lasted eight hours. It’s a slow, progressing disease and the player didn’t indicate if he has PKD. When my PKD first hit me, the pain was excruciating. My doctor said kidney pain is the worst of all organ pain. At first glance after a CT scan, doctors said they thought I had cancer, because of the numerous cysts they saw. Having PKD is better than cancer, but I have empathy for the player. Best of luck to him. .

26. ruffridin says: Aug 7, 2013 10:39 PM

2 million people in north America have kidney issues. I do as well and have tobe careful when it comes to contact. It’s just my guess that a big hit could be bad news thus he retired. All the best man

27. straighcashhomie84 says: Aug 7, 2013 10:50 PM

Don’t Know who this guy is but from all the comments it sounds like he’s a great guy good luck to you bro

28. robgilman says: Aug 7, 2013 11:49 PM

quitter

29. chrisbntx says: Aug 8, 2013 1:06 AM

I have the same condition, but lucky for me mine is very slow progressing and I still have nearly full kidney function at age 36. Even with a transplant the condition will still exist and will slowly destroy the new kidney. It has something to do with the immune system damaging the filters in the kidneys. Best of luck to Donald, focusing on his health is certainly the best choice.

30. flbills says: Aug 8, 2013 8:53 AM

Gotta love frickin’ morons that give thumbs down on anything Bills related.

GO BILLS!