Chip Kelly wonders about three ACLs on same field

Chip Kelly AP

Eagles coach Chip Kelly looks deeply into every aspect of his football operation, and has changed things from nutrition to suggesting new sleep habits to playing music in practices.

So it’s no surprise he wants to know if there’s a reason three of his players have suffered torn ACLs on the same practice field in two weeks.

We’re looking into everything,” Kelly said, via Geoff Mosher of CSNPhilly.com. “Obviously, when you have the same injury and it happens in a two‑week span or whatever it is, we’re going to look at it and try to figure out, obviously, is it preventable? Is it something that we can make sure doesn’t happen?

“But I don’t have any information. I know we’re looking at it. But a lot happens any time we have injuries. Our doctors and trainers are trying to figure that part out how the overall scope of everything we do. But it’s something that we certainly are looking at right now.”

They were in their 10th practice Tuesday, when wide receiver Arrelious Benn joined wideout Jeremy Maclin and linebacker Jason Phillips on the sidelines with the same injury. All three were non-contact injuries, and all happened on the middle of their three practice fields.

It must not have spooked them too much, because they’ve continued practicing on the cursed field this week with the Patriots in town.

As frustrating as it might be to a man of science such as Kelly, sometimes the answer to such questions is simply bad luck and coincidence.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
28 Responses to “Chip Kelly wonders about three ACLs on same field”
  1. floratiotime says: Aug 8, 2013 10:05 AM

That’s better. I knew eventually we’d get a Chip Kelly article. Tell me he doesn’t look like Marcus Bachmann.

2. doomsdaydefensetx says: Aug 8, 2013 10:08 AM

If the coach doesn’t stress body control to their players, injuries will happen. Never in my high school athletics days did coach say, “body control” all I ever heard was, “gassers” & “Indian run”!! Yes I had 2 acl recon. One on each knee. Very unfortunate part of the sports but it will happen.

3. romosmicrodongs says: Aug 8, 2013 10:08 AM

they were probably playing at fedex field am I right cause only acl tears occur only at fedex field right!?!?

where is the outrage! they should reaod fedex field so all these eagles players stop getting hurt!

4. cunninghampeetemcnabbvick says: Aug 8, 2013 10:09 AM

Cursed field? They practice on this field during the regular season so… yeah, I see what you’re saying.

5. dekubetus says: Aug 8, 2013 10:10 AM

Coincidences: 1) all 3 used to have ACLs 2) all 3 were wearing cleats 3) all 3 were playing football

6. eatitfanboy says: Aug 8, 2013 10:14 AM

Statistical anomaly. Coincidence. The Eagles have been practicing on that field for years. When analyzing the data, you can’t look at how many injuries happened on that field the last two weeks, you have to look at how many have happened over the life of the field. Just because there has been a small cluster recently, it doesn’t mean the turf has suddenly become dangerous.

I’m beginning to think this guy thinks a little too much.

7. insanelomein2 says: Aug 8, 2013 10:16 AM

Heard a report this morning that the Eagles organization replaced the field turf at NovaCare with a grass alternative to allow fans to get closer to the field.

Coincidentally, this type of grass is known to get cleats stuck and that’s why the ACL tears were non contact.

8. dallassux says: Aug 8, 2013 10:20 AM

floratiotime says:
    Aug 8, 2013 10:05 AM

———————————————————————————-

That’s better. And I knew eventually we’d fine a sucker to comment and whine about it each time.

9. krypticking says: Aug 8, 2013 10:22 AM

If that report insanelomein2 is saying is true, then it may not be coincidence after all. I was thinking bad luck, until I read that. Either or, you hate seeing any team losing players in preseason.

10. eatitfanboy says: Aug 8, 2013 10:29 AM

krypticking says:
    Aug 8, 2013 10:22 AM

That “report” doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

1) why would one type of turf allow fans to get closer to the field than another type?

2) why would the Eagles care about fans getting closer to the field?

3) why would they switch to a turf that is known to get cleats stuck and thus cause non-contact injuries?

4) If it were true, don’t you think it would have been a fairly prominent part of the original story?

11. doubleogator says: Aug 8, 2013 10:37 AM

Call mayor Nutty!

12. insanelomein2 says: Aug 8, 2013 10:41 AM

you hate seeing any team losing players in preseason.

That “report” doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

2) why would the Eagles care about fans getting closer to the field?

————————————————
    1) field turf can be slick and they don’t want an injured fan. This is the 1st year the Eagles are doing camp at NovaCare usually went 100 miles away to Lehigh University.

2) Answered in #1

3) Its Bermuda grass and according to WIP radio this morning that type of grass can grab a cleat at the point of impact (when pushing off to accelerate)

13. 8to80texansblog says: Aug 8, 2013 10:48 AM

1) why is everyone answering with #)s

2) why am I still doing it

3) I am really supersticious, but I don’t believe in cursed fields….

14. floratiotime says: Aug 8, 2013 10:50 AM

Eagles fans are so sensitive. It’s such fun making them cry.

15. westampa says: Aug 8, 2013 10:59 AM

Steve Spurrior 2.0

16. jayhawk6 says: Aug 8, 2013 10:59 AM

Chip Kelly should contact George Toma, or one of his protégés, to find somebody to deal with the practice field turf, if that indeed is the problem. Toma was groundskeeper for the Royals and the Chiefs for more than three decades and oversaw the Super Bowl turf for about that long.

He is long retired, but Dan Snyder could sure have used somebody of his caliber for the Redskins home field post season game last year.

17. tombradyswig says: Aug 8, 2013 11:01 AM

1)let’s go eagles
    2)whoop the redtails on Monday nite, 9/9

18. aamboca says: Aug 8, 2013 11:19 AM

Let me begin by saying I am NOT and Iggle’s fan, however I have been wondering the same thing. In the 50+ years I have watching the NFL, I cannot remember EVER seeing so many torn ACL’s happen not just in the pre-season or in the camps but in the entire seasons combined. Look at last year’s season. How many were there? The QB from my team suffered one in the last game (RGIII), but how many others were there? What is so different about this year versus other years? I’d like to know. Oh and all you sarcastic morons and haters, why not let this one slide and lets find some real answers because its so prevalent, it could happen to your team too!!!

19. thedoubleentandres says: Aug 8, 2013 11:21 AM

3) And to the
    4) Snoop Doggy Dog and Dr Dre are at your door

cudnt resist, seen the exact same thing on hardball talk the other day

20. pologroundsvet says: Aug 8, 2013 11:24 AM

Kelly’s got the right idea.

You make your own luck with hard work and anyone who believes in coincidence also believes in the tooth fairy.

21. dallassux says: Aug 8, 2013 11:36 AM

People who hide their allegiance by putting Florio in their screen name are so sensitive.

22. hotep999 says: Aug 8, 2013 11:53 AM

field of shattered dreams

23. nananatman says: Aug 8, 2013 12:02 PM

Tons of ACL injuries this year, must be something in their water.

24. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 8, 2013 1:15 PM

It was built on a Redskins burial ground.

25. surfinbird1 says: Aug 8, 2013 1:21 PM

He’s got them runnin’ around like they were on meth,tryin to break the sound barrier. These guys ain’t the Ducks. Turn the rap & rock off,and throw on a waltz or two.

26. cobrala2 says: Aug 8, 2013 1:22 PM

ACL tears do NOT require impact.

Natural grass/dirt is statistically the safest turf.

Cost of maintenance diminishes natural surfaces’ value and the NFL’s insistence to promote offense (because Touchdowns = Tickets) create an incessant drive towards technological alternatives to create ‘faster’ surfaces.

27. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 8, 2013 1:49 PM

Now you know why the Eagles held their preseason camps at Lehigh U. in the past.
    Kelly=tool

28. gabynamnam says: Aug 8, 2013 3:11 PM

Surprised no one mentioned the conditioning program of Chip Kelly. Maybe some guys’ bodies don’t heal as fast as they need to, and they go to practice with compromised muscles/tendons/ligaments.

When I tore my hamstring, it happened because I practiced real hard for the first time in a long time. Then I came back and practiced again too soon, and my hammy was still tight, and it snapped…ouch!!!