Flynn learned how to adapt from Rodgers

Matt Flynn AP

Matt Flynn went to Seattle last year expecting to start, and lost his job to a rookie. Then he found a safe harbor in Oakland, and was immediately dubbed the worst starting quarterback in the league by ESPN’s Ron Jaworski.

But after watching others push through their own trials, Flynn said he’s better for the experience.

The Raiders starter said watching former Packers teammate Aaron Rodgers deal with the aftermath of the Brett Favre era was a valuable lesson for him.

What Aaron went through was a circus,” Flynn said, via Jerry McDonald of the Bay Area News Group. “There were all the questions from the media, people heckling him in the crowd. I don’t think anybody else could have handled it any better than he did.

“I spent eight or nine hours a day with him, and you’d never have known what he was going through. There was never any sign of frustration.”

That’s the same thing Rodgers saw from Flynn last year. After some success in spot duty in Green Bay, Flynn didn’t get much of a chance last year after Russell Wilson won the starting job.

“It was a tough situation in Seattle, but he’s got an opportunity in Oakland to do something great, and I’m really proud of him,” Rodgers said. “He’s got incredible physical and mental toughness,” Rodgers said. “He really understands the game and how to use his ability to get the ball to his teammates in good positions. He’s a gamer-type, and you’ve seen that when he’s gotten a chance to play.”

Flynn has a chance to play now, even if it’s not the best place to prove himself.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
32 Responses to “Flynn learned how to adapt from Rodgers”
  1. jhein23 says: Aug 8, 2013 9:41 AM

Little kids came up to Aaron Rodgers the first summer after he replaced Favre and told him to Eff off. It was pretty brutal the way people treated him. And remember when Brett came flying into Green Bay with his wife I think most fans wanted him to have his job back at that point. Made it even tougher on him. That’s why it was sweet justice winning the SB 3rd year as a starter.

2. floratiotime says: Aug 8, 2013 9:45 AM

Maybe Rodgers is just one of those guys who doesn’t pick up on things ? Forrestgumpatude.

3. MyTeamsAllStink says: Aug 8, 2013 9:47 AM

Flynn is on a team that’s in a serious rebuilding mode.Im sorry but Payton Manning would struggle to get this team above .500.The Raiders are a year away from being competitive,the Al Davis screw ups set this team back many years.

4. johnnyjagfan says: Aug 8, 2013 9:55 AM

I’d love to see Flynn light it up in a pro-style offense. He’s got some WRs & if McFadden is healthy, they could win. They just will have to score 30 every week.

5. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Aug 8, 2013 9:56 AM

6. GenXJay says: Aug 8, 2013 9:57 AM

Flynn learned Twitter etiquette from ShAaron too.
    Bet me?

7. osiris33 says: Aug 8, 2013 9:59 AM

Jaworski is an idiot. Flynn is much better than people give him credit for. I’d much prefer he was still Seattle’s backup instead of Tarvaris Jackson, who’s awful. Flynn will eventually succeed if he gets pieces around him.

8. twonis says: Aug 8, 2013 10:01 AM

I think Flynn was just a victim of really bad luck last year. Having followed Russell Wilson at Wisconsin, I knew that he was going to shock the Seahawks organization. He is simply a transformational, electric, driven individual. I feel rather confident that if he had gone in to Patriots camp or Saints camp or even Packers camp he would have caused those coaches to have at least discussed the possibility of making him the starter (They wouldn’t, of course, but he might be just that good).

That takes away nothing from Flynn. I believe that once he gets the chance to take the reigns that he’ll surprise people. Not saying he’s elite or that he’ll take the Raiders to 11-5 or something, just that he gets lumped in with Sanchez and Weeden and Ponder and I simply don’t think that is fair.

9. skittlesareyum says: Aug 8, 2013 10:02 AM

Rick Spielman is a Magician says:
    Aug 8, 2013 9:56 AM

—————-

I hate to agree with you (just kidding) but for some Packers fans you have a point. In 2008 some of us saw Favre for what he was (myself included), but others wouldn’t let him go and badmouthed Rodgers. I hope those fans have had a moment where they realized just how wrong they were, instead of hopping on the Rodgers bandwagon as if all was fine.

10. mrgreenbird says: Aug 8, 2013 10:08 AM

Packers fans don’t have the ability to make realizations…they’re too busy trying to stop breathing through their mouths while wiping drool from their chins.

11. r8rsfan says: Aug 8, 2013 10:13 AM

QB is the biggest question mark on the team. The jury hasn’t even been seated yet. Flynn will have fan support just because of the jersey he wears, but that will change quick if he struggles early.

12. aa1829 says: Aug 8, 2013 10:23 AM

Give # 4 to the punter, and lets all forget Mr. me me me forever. AR has been a class guy from day one, while favray treated him like dog doo, showing no class of his own. I want the Pack to win a superbowl every year, but I want it most because then AR will have one more than favray, making him only GB’s third most successful QB. Go Packers!

13. raiderlyfe510 says: Aug 8, 2013 10:25 AM

Matt Flynn not being able to beat out Russell Wilson.

Now I didnt follow that QB competition, but if I had to take a wild guess as to what happened my guess would be that Tom Cable doesn’t know how to protect his QB and Russell Wilson could run for his life behind Cable’s O line better than Flynn. Much like the Gradkowski and Jamarcus Russell situation. You don’t want a traditional pocket passes behind Cable’s O line.

Just a wild guess, not based on my legendary football analysis. I Didnt follow that situation.

14. tangysizzl says: Aug 8, 2013 10:26 AM

People seem to forget that Brett Favre retired, press conference, tears and all. Most Packer fans I know turned the page to Aaron Rodgers after that and didn’t look back when Favre decided to change his mind. Some fans couldn’t let Favre go and took it out on Rodgers.

Rick the magician should know better than anyone that no teams fan base is perfect, being a Viking fan and all.

15. thepvyharvin says: Aug 8, 2013 10:31 AM

I hope he didn’t learn how to not pay bets like Sharon. Sharon has ZERO credibility

16. supesfan34 says: Aug 8, 2013 10:53 AM

raiderlyfe510 says:Aug 8, 2013 10:25 AM

Matt Flynn not being able to beat out Russell Wilson.

————————————————-

Not a bad assumption, but it is inaccurate. There were two Pro-Bowlers on that OL last year and they pass protect just fine. Russell Wilson made big plays regualrly during the preseaon while Flynn seemed to be more of a game manager.

I actually wanted Flynn to win the job, because I wanted to see what he could do. However, by the end of the season it was clear that Wilson was THE MAN.

I do want Flynn to be successful. I still like his ability to make decisions and get the ball out quickly. We’ll see what happens.

17. thraiderskin says: Aug 8, 2013 11:00 AM

I was in bar for an alumni event at the school I attended (in eastern WI, 45 mins from GB) and it was late into the preseason(Rodhers’ first as #1), the Packers were on and the entire bar was bashing Rodgers. In fact, I have never personally seen such hate being spewed at an individual. As a football fan (and someone opinionated enough) I yelled out “hey, I’ll trade u any 5 players from either the Redskins or any 5 from the Raiders (my two teams). Naturally they shut their mouths, they knew I was right or they were worried stuff was about to go down. Needless to say, Packer fans, majority wise, hated #12. Funny how things turn out.

18. aldante66 says: Aug 8, 2013 11:09 AM

I have Flynn repeating his performance from last year, bench sitting. Why? Easy. He is a drop back, can’t run worth a dam QB. Why would you play him when you have a 6’6 mobile QB in Pryor?
    Once Pryor gets the passing down, and he is getting there, Flynn will be toast. I hope unlike Sanchez, Flynn gets that.

19. theyodiofnfl says: Aug 8, 2013 11:10 AM

I have always liked Flynn he’s just been the worst situations. In Seattle he had Wilson beat him out (but come on its Russell Wilson) and now he’s in Oakland where his best weapon was a undrafted rookie the privous year. He’ll struggle in Oakland beacuse of the little talent around him

20. granadafan says: Aug 8, 2013 11:15 AM

I still remember taking a trip to see family and stopping by the fall camp where the Packers practiced to see a guy I played with at CAL (where he tied a record for consecutive pass completions against U$C). I’ll never forget the booing and cursing of Rodgers as soon as he took the field in practice while the fanboys were practically worshiping Favre the douche. The talkboards were lit up with Packer fans bashing Rodgers incessantly and acting as if Rodgers forced their messiah’s trade. Most wanted Brohm or Flynn to start instead of Rodgers. Now they act as if Rodgers was their choice all along. It just goes to show most of those bandwagon fans have no clue about football.

21. truths4all says: Aug 8, 2013 11:16 AM

Give Flynn enough time to read defenses and pass as well as some skilled receivers who can run routes and actually CATCH and he will succeed in Oakland.

22. kdsr382013 says: Aug 8, 2013 11:18 AM

I am a Die-Hard Niner Fan. I typically pay no attention to the Raiders, other than to give the business to my Friends or Family who are Raider fans, and to point out their recent almost comical ineptitude. That said, I have caught a few pieces on CSN Bay Area and the other local sports news broadcasts, and it sounds as if Matt Flynn is cut from a different kind of cloth than the clowns they’ve had at the QB position in recent years. Matt Maioco (sorry for the mis-spelling), Gary Radnich, Mark Ibanez, and others seem to think the QB position for Oakland is one of Skelletor Jr’s lesser concerns this season. I am actually pulling for Matt Flynn. He seems like a decent guy. on a preliminary basis, I would compare him to Archie Manning of those 70′s and 80′s ‘aint’s teams. I see him having some success this season, but I doubt he will be enough to save them from anything better than a 5 – 11 season this year.

23. kdsr382013 says: Aug 8, 2013 11:21 AM

As a matter of fact, I think I will make my way up to Caesar’s Tahoe and get some money down on the Raiders being the winners of the Clowney lotto.

24. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Aug 8, 2013 11:39 AM

aa1829 says:Aug 8, 2013 10:23 AM

______

Sounds like Favre treated him just like the Packer fans did.

25. SouthTexasRaider says: Aug 8, 2013 11:55 AM

Haters gonna Hate!
    There are far worse teams out there than My Raiders but…..Haters gonna Hate!

26. radrntn says: Aug 8, 2013 12:17 PM

BSPN – the mecca of raider hating propaganda.

27. natelan69 says: Aug 8, 2013 12:31 PM

#32! LMAO

28. tokyosandblaster says: Aug 8, 2013 12:46 PM

Vikings fans talking about “credibility”?

Hilarious.

How’s that Super Bowl win of yours?

Oh yeah.

29. sicklnick121 says: Aug 8, 2013 1:27 PM

Speaking of Rodgers, This is exactly why he broke Green Bays bank, He did what was right and got ever last cent he could. The fans screaming for a discount are the same fans that shouted he sucked…

And wow did I just read all these comments and not one said Pryor is our future and the better QB…OMG the sky is falling

30. axespray says: Aug 8, 2013 10:05 PM

Rick Spielman is a Magician says:
    Aug 8, 2013 9:56 AM
    “Kind of amazing that Packer fans would treat Rodgers like that and now they act like they’ve loved him the whole time.”
    ————————
    nah, Wisconsin77 still wishes ACL injuries on anyone Ted Thompson drafts…

31. dennisofletcher says: Aug 9, 2013 8:39 AM

What really cracks me up is the arrogance of a guy like Ron Jaworski. Someone should ask Ron what he ever won?
    Oh, that’s right, nothing. If anything he carries the great distinction of throwing a great pass to a player on the opposite team in the Superbowl.
    Jaworski has no credibility. And, if you really look at it, the often maligned Trent Dilfer has more credibility.
    Because, guess what? Trent has what Ron doesn’t have.
    A SUPERBOWL RING.

P.S.
    Sorry boys and girls but that’s all that Rodgers will have also.

32. chawk12thman says: Aug 9, 2013 1:23 PM

Flynn is better than Jaws thinks……He would have been good for Seattle, but the decision was made to go with Wilson. Hard to argue that point, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t ready to run a team. I hope he does extremely well and shuts up the critics.

Looking forward to seeing this play out. Not as much as Seahawks/SF week 2, but still there.

Go Hawks!