New bag rules kick in tonight

article-wallet Getty Images

On Thursday night, six NFL stadiums welcome crowds for the first time this year.  Hopefully, the folks showing up got the memo about leaving the purses, satchels, and backpacks at home.

Yes, the league’s new policy against anything bigger than a hand-sized clutch bag applied during events at Hall of Fame weekend and at multiple training camps.  But now the new rules apply at the usual NFL venues.

Here’s the link to the new rule.  In a nutshell, clear plastic bags good.  Pretty much anything else, bad.

We’ll be on the lookout for any glitches or tweaks or other anecdotes suggesting that, like the teams that will be playing, the stadium employees need to use the preseason in order to work out the kinks.

So leave the man purse at home and load up the wallet.  Given the prices once you’re inside the stadium, you’ll need it.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
24 Responses to “New bag rules kick in tonight”
  1. logicalvoicesays says: Aug 8, 2013 7:14 PM

Hail to the Redskins!
    Hail Victory!
    Braves on the Warpath!
    Fight for old D.C.!
    Run or pass and score — we want a lot more!
    Beat ‘em, Swamp ‘em,
    Touchdown! — Let the points soar!
    Fight on, fight on ‘Til you have won
    Sons of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!
    Hail to the Redskins!
    Hail Victory!
    Braves on the Warpath!
    Fight for old D.C.!

2. NoHomeTeam says: Aug 8, 2013 7:22 PM

For “safety”

*snerk*

3. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 8, 2013 7:25 PM

Theeerrre’s my wallet. I was getting worried.

4. raiderapologist says: Aug 8, 2013 7:30 PM

It looks like somebody found my wallet.

5. jrmehle says: Aug 8, 2013 7:31 PM

I am not in favor of this new bag policy. As a photographer, I like to carry my camera along with an extra lense or two and some memory cards. I have a bag for this and according to NFL policy it is now not allowed. I am not going to go spend money on a different bag or resort to a bag with less padding for my camera just so I can bring my camera to a game. I am just going to stay home. Hopefully others do too and the NFL sees their mistake here.

6. textermanley says: Aug 8, 2013 7:33 PM

So let’s be clear: No seat cushions, drunk fans cursing at your wife and kids or fighting each other in the stands, concessions and parking costs that make items purchased by the Pentagon seem reasonably priced, and now a ridiculously stringent bag policy. On the plus side, an out of town scoreboard that shows fantasy stats that anyone can see on their smart phone!! I think I’ll just stay home and watch the games on TV, NFL.

7. selldannysell says: Aug 8, 2013 7:41 PM

jrmehle says: Aug 8, 2013 7:31 PM

——————————————————–

I have the same issue. That’s why I won’t be going to games anytime in the near future.

8. winterparkmn says: Aug 8, 2013 7:42 PM

9. harrisonhits2 says: Aug 8, 2013 7:51 PM

The NFL has confirmed that the policy, primarily intended to enhance safety, was revised based on the recommendation of the Stadium Security and Fan Conduct Committee.
    _____________________

Oh please. Lets be clear on this. The primary reason for this has ZERO to do with safety and everything with making it that much harder for fans to bring in certain items that they otherwise have to massively overpay for to purchase inside the stadium.

Its not enough to charge 40 bucks for parking, 9 or 10 for a beer, 10-15 for a sandwich. The vast greed of the owners demands that they scrape every last dollar they can from your wallet and make sure you can’t prevent them from doing so.

10. granadafan says: Aug 8, 2013 7:54 PM

Oh women are going to just love this policy.

11. deelron says: Aug 8, 2013 8:00 PM

“This is the world we live in. After what happened in Boston, I think this is a great move by the NFL.”

What makes you think that people can’t walk up wearing a jacket and blow up all the people standing in line?

12. Exiled1 says: Aug 8, 2013 8:16 PM

Steeler Fans and Redskins Fans are very concerned about the size of their……trophy.

13. bcgreg says: Aug 8, 2013 8:25 PM

I NEVER understood someone lugging a backpack to a sporting event even before 9/11. It takes up too much space. And, it’s unnecessary. I went to the first Red Sox home game after the marathon bombings and this lady is carrying a huge backpack in front of me. Frickin CLUELESS! I am one who is nbot shy to voice my opinion on such matters. Why on heaven’s green earth would you bring a backpack to that game in particular after the terrorists used backpacks to transport their IEDs to the marathon finish line? I only pissed off ONE person in that line that day. Guess who?

Bringing a backpack to a sporting event is NOT necessary. There is no explanation you can give me to change my mind. Baby food? Babies don’t belong at sporting events. Medicine? Really? You need a backpack for that? Special food (ie allergies)? Eat before you go to the game. Rain gear? Get wet. It’s only water!

Purses too–especially the purses that are the size of carry on luggage. You’re at a sporting event, not a fashion show.

14. concord148 says: Aug 8, 2013 8:37 PM

What? Clear plastic bag.! – Then how do you expect me to sneak in a 6 pack of beer, bottle of Jack Daniels, hot dogs, fried chicken and potato chips.

15. Dusty Grey says: Aug 8, 2013 8:41 PM

No seat cushions is terrible. Bleacher seating just became a pain in the ass…

16. thereyougo2 says: Aug 8, 2013 8:43 PM

@bcgreg. Love it.

17. minnesotablizzard says: Aug 8, 2013 8:57 PM

The NFL is a microcosm of America. Anyone that knows their history, knows this will not end well.

18. cavafox says: Aug 8, 2013 9:27 PM

@bcgreg kids don’t belong at sporting events? Maybe football but I see kids all the time at baseball games and hockey games. Heck, baseball games cater to kids.

19. mudhead123 says: Aug 8, 2013 10:54 PM

Glad to hear this new policy is keeping the creepy fake photographers out. Stay home

20. harvestern says: Aug 8, 2013 11:13 PM

Seat cushions are allowed as Long as they are foam with no zippers, straps or pockets and are no larger than 15″ x15″. At least that’s what info I was sent. See how it goes when I get to the gate.

21. johnmc318 says: Aug 8, 2013 11:13 PM

its all a marketing ploy by the NFL to get you to buy their clear bags with the shield on it….if it was for security.. this would have been the case since 9/11

22. rcali says: Aug 8, 2013 11:19 PM

Yep, I guess the terrorists have won.

23. dirtybird28 says: Aug 9, 2013 11:45 AM

New bag rules kick in tonight? There’s gotta be a pun in that.

24. bcgreg says: Aug 10, 2013 7:44 PM

@ cavafox

I didn’t say kids. I said BABIES! Maybe I should have included “people who can’t read”!