Shocking physical opened Donald Jones’ eyes

Donald Jones AP

Former Bills and Patriots wide receiver Donald Jones retired yesterday because of kidney disease, but it took a major scare during a workout for another team to convince him stepping away was the right thing to do.

According to Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports, Jones was working out for the Colts prior to training camp when he realized how serious the situation had become. While on a treadmill taking a stress test, Jones’ blood pressure skyrocketed to 250 over 110, at which point trainers stopped the test, and Jones realized his career was over.

“That,” Jones said, “was definitely a new thing.”

Jones might soon need a kidney transplant because of his condition, and has received support from former NBA star Alonzo Mourning, who had a kidney transplant in 2003, and worked with the same doctors who are treating Jones.

“He let me know what he was dealing with and he let me know everything was going to be all right,” Jones said of Mourning. “Now, I’m definitely handling it well.”

Jones was an ascending player, whose on-field skills were enough to have many teams interested. Now, he hopes to use his platform to increase awareness about kidney disease, and how to deal with it.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Indianapolis Colts, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Shocking physical opened Donald Jones’ eyes”
  1. marc68 says: Aug 8, 2013 11:19 AM

And I’m sure,since he is a rich athlete,he will get a kidney in no time.
    Meanwhile,average people like my wife,a mother of 3 has been waiting for almost 3 years for a new kidney.
    If you’ve never known anyone on dialysis,you have no clue how terrible it is to not have working kidneys,especially at such a young age.(42)

2. jbaby323 says: Aug 8, 2013 11:25 AM

have one of my kidneys donald. #KeePyourDreamsAlive

3. Waffle 2.0 says: Aug 8, 2013 11:31 AM

Get healthy and have a good life Donald.

4. blacknole08 says: Aug 8, 2013 11:35 AM

I wouldn’t be shocked to see Jones on another NFL roster in a couple years. Zo Mourning ended up playing 4+ more seasons after his initial diagnosis and kidney transplant (and he won a title).

Good luck and get well!

5. buddysguys says: Aug 8, 2013 11:36 AM

@marc68

theres a list they follow. i doubt the undrafted Donald Jones buys his way to the top.

6. sschmiggles says: Aug 8, 2013 11:42 AM

I thought he was a good player for Buffalo and I was rooting for him to make the team for the Pats.

Best of luck to Donald. It’s a good thing he found out about this before something really serious happened.

7. raiderufan says: Aug 8, 2013 11:47 AM

@blacknole08

I hope that if that’s his goal he pulls it off but I don’t think Zo was taking many shots dead to the midsection like an NFL wide reciever….I’m admittedly ignorant when it comes to how close to 100% men and woman who recieve transplants can get but I’d bet he’s done.

8. EJ says: Aug 8, 2013 11:52 AM

marc68 says:
    Aug 8, 2013 11:19 AM

And I’m sure,since he is a rich athlete,he will get a kidney in no time.

————————————————–

I doubt that Donald Jones has much money kicking around since he was signed as an undrafted free agent. Plus, even If he did have a stash of cash, there is a list that everyone must follow regardless of who you are or what you are worth.

I am sorry that your wife has kidney issues. I too have relatives who are on dialysis, taking life day to day. Its a sad thing to deal with.

9. blacknsilver says: Aug 8, 2013 11:56 AM

get well soon Donald

10. sanctusreal says: Aug 8, 2013 12:04 PM

That’s really sad. To see him have to retire.

11. 1rockyracoon says: Aug 8, 2013 12:06 PM

“Rich athlete”??? He was undrafted and only played 3 seasons, for league minimum, in Buffalo. Not exactly a household name. I’m sure he will help bring a little bit of attention to the need for organ donors.

12. cliverush says: Aug 8, 2013 12:25 PM

There has been a recent break through concerning the cause of the above average rate of kidney related illness to people of the African-American heritage. Hope this is true as so many young healthy people are affected.

13. capitaosuecia says: Aug 8, 2013 12:30 PM

As a physician, I constantly get frustrated for the media not specifically disclosing the precise disease they´re talking about. Honestly, am I wrong? I feel bad for the guy, but I´d like to know exactly why the guy can´t play football anymore…

14. nickswearsky says: Aug 8, 2013 2:12 PM

You are a physician and it says “kidney disease” and hypertensive emergency (250/110). How about Renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system dysfunction?

15. gafraidh says: Aug 8, 2013 2:24 PM

@ capitaosuecia

You’re a physician, so surely you’ve heard of HIPAA. Perhaps they don’t know precisely what the disease is…

(Far be it from me to defend the media, but jeez!)