Tiki recalls dropping “like, a thousand” F-bombs on Coughlin

tiki-barber4 Getty Images

Asked to name the biggest confrontation he ever had with anyone in a locker room, former Giants running back Tiki Barber said that was an easy answer: Tom Coughlin.

Barber said on the Morning Show that he and Coughlin had an obscenity-laced argument in 2006 after Barber complained that the Giants had turned in “a pretty pitiful performance all the way around,” and criticized the team’s offense. Coughlin was furious to read those words on the paper the next day.

“Tom Coughlin comes into my meeting room,” Barber said, “and he has all these newspapers and throws them in my face. Like, physically, in my face. . . . ‘What the F is this?‘ And throws them in my face.”

Barber said he dropped “like, a thousand” F-bombs back at Coughlin as “we ended up yelling at each other for 40 minutes.”

Overall, Barber said, he had a real problem with Coughlin’s “My way or the highway” attitude.

“Tell me, ‘do something because I say so’? I’m not going to accept that,” Barber said.

Barber said he always played hard for Coughlin, and he thinks even Coughlin would have to admit that. But those 16 Sundays a year were the only days when they got along.

“On game day, I never had a problem with Coach Coughlin,” Barber said. “But personally, we did. We just didn’t mesh.”

Barber is one of the best players in the history of the franchise, but it’s not surprising that the team has had more success since he left. When a star player and the coach are butting heads and dropping thousands of F-bombs on each other, it’s not good for anyone.

Permalink 121 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
121 Responses to “Tiki recalls dropping “like, a thousand” F-bombs on Coughlin”
  1. themike31 says: Aug 8, 2013 11:56 AM

F bombs = Flabbergasted?

2. YouMadCauseImStylingOnYou says: Aug 8, 2013 11:56 AM

Tom Coughlins most vivid memory of Tiki Barber was dropping “like, a thousand” f-balls.

3. dameeze says: Aug 8, 2013 11:58 AM

tom coughlin is flabbergasted

4. jjb0811 says: Aug 8, 2013 11:59 AM

He leaves, they hoist the Lombardi. Not one of the best players.

5. scoops1 says: Aug 8, 2013 12:00 PM

wow….I didn’t think he could use Flabbergasted that many times

6. packerihardlyknowher says: Aug 8, 2013 12:01 PM

Tiki is an idiot.

7. mvp43 says: Aug 8, 2013 12:02 PM

“F” for flabbergasted

8. bassman982013 says: Aug 8, 2013 12:04 PM

“My way or the highway” worked out pretty good in a couple of Super Bowls.

9. hrmlss says: Aug 8, 2013 12:05 PM

More proof he is an asshat

10. gucciseki7 says: Aug 8, 2013 12:05 PM

Flabbergasted?

11. chalkruz1989 says: Aug 8, 2013 12:06 PM

I do not agree with this statement:
    “but it’s not surprising that the team has had more success since he left.”

The reason the New York Giants began to win big games is because Eli Manning got significantly better and the defense was loaded unlike previous years.

I enjoy watching the Giants every week and Manning is one of my favorites. However, he was horrid in his early years, and Tiki Barber miraculously was able to have big games to carry the load.

The Giants built a better team and Eli grew to an “Eli-te” level.

Sorry for the corny Eli comment :).

12. whiningpatriotfans says: Aug 8, 2013 12:07 PM

Perhaps I’ll ask Tiki about this when I rent him out to perform balloon tricks at my 5 year olds birthday party.

13. u4iadman says: Aug 8, 2013 12:07 PM

They one as soon as you left though….just saying who was right and who was the a$$ hole.

14. deepseabreeze says: Aug 8, 2013 12:07 PM

tiki barber is a toolbag

15. kenshalek says: Aug 8, 2013 12:08 PM

Fart-Bombs?

16. chrisnyg says: Aug 8, 2013 12:09 PM

Still bitter they won as soon as he left the locker room.

17. blacknole08 says: Aug 8, 2013 12:09 PM

F for fumble?

18. jfanale says: Aug 8, 2013 12:10 PM

Giants won 2 Super Bowls after Tiki retired and Coughlin transformed Tiki from a fumbler into one of the premier running backs in the NFL. Tom Coughlin > Tiki Barber.

19. digitalsasquatch says: Aug 8, 2013 12:11 PM

Oh, c’mon, Tiki…you were relevant for a couple of years after Coughlin tought you how to actually hang on to the rock, and now you’re not…again.

20. pathsovglory says: Aug 8, 2013 12:13 PM

that “My way or the highway” approach led them to 2 Lombardi’s… should’ve bought it.

21. alexb64 says: Aug 8, 2013 12:13 PM

As an opposing fan Tiki Barber was a guy who I wished was on my team & always thought of as a classy ambassador for both the game & his team. Almost from the SECOND he retired for his media career, that he apparently had extreme delusions of grandeur about, with his guard down he has outed himself as a massive fraud of a personality.

He’s arrogant, petty, & just seems like a genuine scumbag. All of this has come out, complete with his brother crying on his behalf about how mean the New York fans are to him now, and yet he STILL keeps saying & doing things that expose him for being a jerk. “Tom Coughlin comes into MY meeting room” & his “my way or the highway” attitude? Coach = boss, when a boss says something is to be done THEIR WAY, you do it THEIR WAY. The fact that you make more money than them doesn’t mean you don’t have to do what they ask you to do. If you do that, then retiring like an entitled, self absorbed jerk like he did is the right move. He retired because of the physical demands? Strange how just a couple years later he attempted a comeback to ZERO team interest. Even Ronde couldn’t convince his rich as sin team to take a chance on him.

22. stevejjones says: Aug 8, 2013 12:13 PM

Wow a young man who grew up without a father around having trouble with an authority figure? That’s really strange.

23. bayonnebleeder says: Aug 8, 2013 12:13 PM

F U Tiki

24. schmitty2 says: Aug 8, 2013 12:14 PM

As soon as I read the headline about a “thousand F-bombs” I figured we would be in for at least that many “Flabbergasted” comments. So far we are well on our way. SMH

25. phelbin says: Aug 8, 2013 12:14 PM

Tiki is no longer in the league. Coughlin got two Super Bowl rings and is still going strong. Well…I guess we see who won that argument.

26. jlcarbone says: Aug 8, 2013 12:15 PM

Tikis no Ronde.

27. teambringitstrong says: Aug 8, 2013 12:15 PM

—————————————————————
    Speaking as a veteran of the USAF; Tiki, you need a different perspective.

28. naes says: Aug 8, 2013 12:15 PM

Coach Coughlin won two Super Bowl titles. Tiki has been anything but a winner since leaving the Giants. Pretty easy to see who is right here.

29. stealthscorpio says: Aug 8, 2013 12:15 PM

Physically? Hmmm….physically abusive coaches have been getting fired left and right…

30. mybrunoblog says: Aug 8, 2013 12:16 PM

“Hi, I’m Tiki Barber. I’ll say anything that might give me some attention….C’MON GUYS LOOK AT ME…PLEASE….”

31. thehouseofho says: Aug 8, 2013 12:17 PM

Further proof that not only was Strahan the better man on the team, but the better leader. Strahan was able to set aside his own ego (just a tiny bit, mind you) to work with Coughlin on making the team better.

Tiki was a saboteur who cared more about his own personal glory on his “farewell” tour than making the team better.

32. jbeagles23 says: Aug 8, 2013 12:18 PM

This same story could be told by thousands of players

33. cliverush says: Aug 8, 2013 12:20 PM

Coach Coughlin treats everyone the same way. Just do your job and shut your mouth. If Barber thinks he was special he is wrong. He is just another average RB who profited from the hard work of the coaches and his teammates. What a bum.

34. orivar says: Aug 8, 2013 12:20 PM

I would pay to have a video of that as Coughlin has no problem dropping f bombs either. 40 mins of yelling, swearing, and most likely looking like idiots.

35. insanelomein2 says: Aug 8, 2013 12:20 PM

F-bombs = Tiki fumbles and there sure were a ton of them.

36. jasleach says: Aug 8, 2013 12:21 PM

Tiki, his “my way or the highway” approach leads to Super Bowls….
    As did getting your ass out of the locker room!

37. harrisonhits2 says: Aug 8, 2013 12:22 PM

Lol

I seem to remember Tiki dropped a lot of balls too, until Coughlin sorted out his little fumbling problem.

38. fissels says: Aug 8, 2013 12:22 PM

“My meeting room”? when do players have their own meeting room?

39. smjones5984 says: Aug 8, 2013 12:22 PM

I’m tired of Tiki….He becomes more of a douche every time he opens his mouth.

40. alewatcher says: Aug 8, 2013 12:23 PM

Sounds like Coughlin’s way was the right way. It’s no accident they won two SB’s after Tiki left.

41. mack2x says: Aug 8, 2013 12:25 PM

I figure the Season pretty much starts this weekend, so can we stop hearing these irrelevant stories from Tiki after this weekend’s preseason games?

42. armchairqb says: Aug 8, 2013 12:25 PM

Dear Tiki:

Check the calendar. It’s not 2004. Time to go. Please exit the stage and stop commenting on the NFL. No one cares what you have to say.

Signed,
    Every Single NFL Fan

43. bigbluefan11 says: Aug 8, 2013 12:27 PM

He left, Shockey got hurt and was double fisting beer in a sky box, and the team instantly improved. Both have been on a 7 year quest for relevance since.

44. tennesseeoilers says: Aug 8, 2013 12:27 PM

Tom Coughlin + Tiki Barber = Jeff Fisher + Vince Young.

45. joeytorontosucks says: Aug 8, 2013 12:27 PM

Why do people keep asking him all these questions?!

46. heyguru1969 says: Aug 8, 2013 12:30 PM

Ah, Tiki. We hadn’t seen your name in print in nearly a week, so we have to go here. The only ring you’ll ever own is in your bathtub.

47. mangycougar says: Aug 8, 2013 12:31 PM

Hey Tiki, here is another F for you –

Go the F away!

48. formerworldchamps says: Aug 8, 2013 12:33 PM

Being a Giant fan since 1958,I can attest to Tiki’s sense of entitlement.I remember him going to the press during his last two seasons to bitch about Coughlin’s gameday coaching.He was a good running back ,but a cancer in the locker room,in that he was a locker room lawyer.

I got the utmost joy out of Tiki not getting sniff of the Lombardi while his ex-teammates and coach hoisted it.Ultimate Karma.

Wish he would go away .He is irrelevant!!!

49. orangandblack says: Aug 8, 2013 12:33 PM

“F-bombs” = footballs. I’m pretty sure he dropped close to a thousand of those

50. bskarter4 says: Aug 8, 2013 12:35 PM

I wonder what the conversation was like a few weeks later when they got their asses handed to them 30-7 at home by the Saints on Christmas Eve? “Merry F’ing Christmas Tiki…Merry F’ing Christmas to you too coach”.

51. hakunamangata says: Aug 8, 2013 12:36 PM

Aren’t your 15 min up yet Tiki?

52. philk0731 says: Aug 8, 2013 12:37 PM

Coughlin must have been pretty fartin excited to win 2 Superbowls without Tiki!

53. oakfolk says: Aug 8, 2013 12:39 PM

“Tom Coughlin comes into my meeting room,” Barber said…

MY meeting room??? lol

54. b1gwin says: Aug 8, 2013 12:40 PM

Maybe Tiki thought the F bomb was like the football and thats why he kept dropping it.

55. dylanssongwriter says: Aug 8, 2013 12:40 PM

“My meeting room”….pretty much sums up Tiki Barber

56. losntina69 says: Aug 8, 2013 12:40 PM

Yeah Tiki we see where that attitude has left you lmao. Good one.

57. nokittycat says: Aug 8, 2013 12:42 PM

I guess we know why you don’t have a job, Tiki.

58. doug2626 says: Aug 8, 2013 12:44 PM

I’m so glad to read this article, I feel like it had been too long since we heard from tiki.

59. MyTeamsAllStink says: Aug 8, 2013 12:46 PM

hey look Tiki your wife is pregnant.Isnt it time to leave her for another intern?

60. americasteamthenewyorkfootballgiants says: Aug 8, 2013 12:47 PM

Tiki’s lucky the only thing physical that happened between him and Coughlin was getting the news papers to the face, Tommy C would rearrange his face

61. cd_ridge says: Aug 8, 2013 12:48 PM

I am flabbergasted that the Giants were able a Super Bowl (let alone two) without Tiki.

62. spamrok says: Aug 8, 2013 12:50 PM

Yes an old man would rearrange the face of a high level athlete. That’s such intelligent logic.

63. agelardi says: Aug 8, 2013 12:51 PM

“Tom Coughlin comes into my meeting room,”

Tiki still doesn’t get it (shakes head).

64. tikisays says: Aug 8, 2013 12:51 PM

Even I’m flabberGasted!!!@F-Tiki!!

65. sportnorcal says: Aug 8, 2013 12:51 PM

I am curious if NY Fans are as annoyed when this idiot opens his mouth as the rest of us?

66. sportsmeccabi says: Aug 8, 2013 12:52 PM

Brandon Jacobs: “Tiki, how many f-bombs did Tom Coughlin just drop”?

Tiki: “over 9000!”

67. pryor4heisman says: Aug 8, 2013 12:53 PM

In 2009, this SCUMBAG left his pregnant wife for 23-year-old NBC intern.

Who cares what this idiot has to say??

68. dg0122 says: Aug 8, 2013 12:54 PM

Thanks for sharing that Tiki…now go back to doing….whatever it is you are doing and Coughlin can go back to still coaching the Giants and trying to win his 3rd Lombardi…what a dipsh!t

69. caeser12 says: Aug 8, 2013 12:54 PM

“Tom Coughlin comes into my meeting room,” Barber said.”

That says it all right there. The HEAD COACH, came into TIKI’s meeting?

Coach probably doesn’t remember that this happened, but I’m sure Barber remembers that the Giants won a Super Bowl the very next year WITHOUT him.

Stop it, please.

Go NY.

70. wrdtoyrmama says: Aug 8, 2013 12:54 PM

Tiki, have you ever thought that if you did things the right way, people wouldn’t tell you what to do, or be on the back of your azz?

Your career was almost cut short due to a fumbling problem.
    Coughlin corrected your technique, and your fumbling problems miraculously went away, and you became a star.

Too bad, you never learned any leadership skills from the man. He’s learned from his mistakes, apparently you haven’t.

He’s still in football and has a career, and you’ve screwed up your post playing career doing it your way.

71. justintuckrule says: Aug 8, 2013 12:56 PM

Here we go….100+ comments bashing Tiki with no substance.

If someone out there can save me the time and dig up the 50 actual intelligent Tiki defense posts that I have posted over the years, that would be great.

They summarize as follows:

Tiki was THE Giants offense for 8 years and the first 4 of Eli’s young career. It’s easier for a young QB to grow when there is 9 in the box and man to man on the outside. Ask Sanchez what it was like to have a running game early on and now not to.

These “Giants were better w/o him comments” are not based in fact. Sure they won SBs w/o him but he laid the groundwork for Eli to grow by taking ALL the pressure off him early. Without Tiki early, Eli gets smoked and he’s likely toiling away with his 4th team right now as Miami’s backup.

From a knowledgeable Giants’ fan.

72. caeser12 says: Aug 8, 2013 12:56 PM

Now, let’s talk about all those other F-Bombs you dropped during your career.

F-Bombs= Footballs.

Go NY.

73. noring4youstill says: Aug 8, 2013 12:57 PM

Stay classy Tiki. So glad it was after you retired when they finally won the SB

74. zoxitic says: Aug 8, 2013 1:00 PM

Coughlin – Stand up man with 2 Lombardis and countless people who respect him.

Tiki – Underhanded, disloyal quitter with zero Lombardis and about 3 or 4 people who respect him.

75. ryann252013 says: Aug 8, 2013 1:01 PM

I’m about to drop like a thousand f bombs on tiki barber if he doesn’t shut up.

76. vman0626 says: Aug 8, 2013 1:08 PM

There is a video clip somewhere of Parcells talking to another Giant player or coach during a practice. This is in the late 80s. They are talking about Coughlin, who was the wr coach, and Parcells says something like, “jeez, he’s a frightening dude. Coughlin scares the hell out of me, and I don’t have to take any crap from him.” It’s kind of funny, and Tuna was clearly right in assessing this guy’s demeanor. He simply does not care about anything but the team. The TEAM, tiki. Got it?

77. bearclaw69 says: Aug 8, 2013 1:10 PM

Uh, Tiki, you’re an employee, dude, NOT the coach, and NOT the boss. You’ll do as your told. You don’t have to like it, but that’s the role of an employee. GET OVER YOURSELF.

78. Advanced Strength Training Programs says: Aug 8, 2013 1:11 PM

Spoiler Alert: Tiki Barber has a huge ego. Its surprising to see how many people didn’t seem to know that.

79. usmutts says: Aug 8, 2013 1:12 PM

I hope his brother goes to the HOF.

80. johnnyjagfan says: Aug 8, 2013 1:18 PM

I’d rather watch a talk show hosted by T.O. and Ochocinco than to hear anything this douche has to say.

81. bugyshawk says: Aug 8, 2013 1:24 PM

Crazy to think that a coach would actually want you to do what he says. Crazy.

82. pongonfl says: Aug 8, 2013 1:25 PM

the best stories in the NFL are about redemption, Tiki is a story of anti-redemption.
    His self destructive story is a nice foot note on the redemption story arc of Eli and Coughlin.

83. sbaltimore says: Aug 8, 2013 1:38 PM

Coughlin is the one who turned Barber’s career around by teaching him now to carry the ball and not fumble. The Giants took off after Barber left. So yeah…it’s all Coughlin’s fault, right? Tiki…you really don’t get it, man.

84. granadafan says: Aug 8, 2013 1:44 PM

Tiki could have told this story in a completely different way and not across as the d-bag that he is. He could have told this in a joking manner or that he and Coughlin had that type of relationship where f-bombs could be said to each other. I respect the coach blah blah blah. Instead Tiki comes across as still incredibly bitter and deserves all the scorn he gets.

85. toonloonboon says: Aug 8, 2013 1:48 PM

i dont trust any man named. go cheat on your wife and bleach your teeth again.

86. ruthlssjag says: Aug 8, 2013 1:51 PM

As a Jags fan, coach Coughlin was very much appreciated, that is “until” he took the roles of GM, HC, & OC. He simply had entirely too much on his plate. Before then, we were a winning franchise constantly in the playoffs. He does have the whole “my way or the highway” mentality, & he he probably still fine’s player’s for not making it to meetings 5 minutes early, but with all that said, he was still one hell of a coach.
    I’ve never felt better as a Jags fan as I do now, I hope coach Gus Bradley is the real deal. Aside from him, I’d take coach Coughlin over any of the 30 remaining coaches in the league (I don’t mean there isn’t any great coache(s) out there, just saying).

87. melikefootball says: Aug 8, 2013 1:52 PM

And this Tiki guy is who?

88. jebdamone says: Aug 8, 2013 1:53 PM

tiki barber = great running back, terrible person.

89. sbchampsagain says: Aug 8, 2013 1:57 PM

______

Isn’t it the head coach’s JOB to tell the players what to do?

By definition?

90. Little Earthquake says: Aug 8, 2013 1:58 PM

“My meeting room”? Was he a player or assistant coach?

91. nananatman says: Aug 8, 2013 2:03 PM

“Do something cause I say so, because I’m the coach and at the end of the day I speak for the money. You know, the money you get paid to do what I tell you to do because I said so.”

92. CKL says: Aug 8, 2013 2:14 PM

stevejjones says:
    Aug 8, 2013 12:13 PM
    ________________________________
    It’s even stranger that his twin did the same thing (grow up without a father) and was a model human being and player.
    Tiki isn’t even trustworthy as a spouse, it’s no shock he wasn’t as a teammate.

Ahh justintuckrule, now I know who you are…you used to post as jakek (something like that) right? Yes Tiki was a great player and yes he was the biggest cog on ofense while Eli was not playing well. Tiki should have played tennis or something though because he is an individual player, not a team player.

93. henry53 says: Aug 8, 2013 2:17 PM

One of the biggest @holes to ever wear a Giants uniform.

94. northstarnic says: Aug 8, 2013 2:33 PM

What a tool. Coughlin is among the best coaches on the league. And this buffoon thought he knew better.

95. justintuckrule says: Aug 8, 2013 2:46 PM

———-

@CKL – not sure who jakek is. Anyway, the hatred of Tiki actually makes me “flabbergasted”. Popular belief is that Tiki is hated b/c he’s smug, spoke out of school and “cheated” on his preg wife.

If hatred is due to smugness, that’s one thing. But calling out a teammate has been done to death by others since Tiki arguably started that trend. Amani Toomer is a huge culprit of this and he’s applauded for giving “honest and non-boring” opinions. See also Rodney Harrison, Wes Welker lately, Strahan has done it, pick a newbie NFL retiree on ESPN.

As for the “cheating”, nobody realizes that Tiki and Ginny were actually separated for many months before she gave birth and had marital troubles for years. They stayed together for the sake of their other kids but led completely separate lives. I can’t disclose my sources but I know this.

Tiki was never arrested and was a role model for being an extremely hard working, overachiever. Yeah, he was a lockerroom headcase. However, he gave Giants’ fans the only reason to watch football for 8 years. No Tiki, no Eli as you see him today. I’m convinced. Time to forgive and forget.

96. bookofelisha10 says: Aug 8, 2013 2:49 PM

i wont lie as a NYG fan i miss tiki– up until his retirement and blasting eli (which he was dead on with, bec im sure Eli in his huddle command as a rookie was pretty funny) he was a class act

never said the wrong things, always stayed for up to an hour after training camp pratices in albany to sign autos for everyone and was nice toe veryone.. i met tiki at TC dozens of times and he was nice each time.

NYG havnt had a RB like him in a long time. and TC was a dbag before the SB. the reason they won is bec he lightened up.

97. trollaikman8 says: Aug 8, 2013 3:16 PM

Correction: He dropped like a 1,000 “fumbles”….on crucial drives, if I recall.

98. gettingpwned says: Aug 8, 2013 3:19 PM

Isn’t there an intern somewhere he needs to go pick up?

99. giant11 says: Aug 8, 2013 3:19 PM

Tiki is getting too many 15 min of fame. Just Get off already.

100. spedman24 says: Aug 8, 2013 3:21 PM

More class every day from the NY football Giants

101. davereckon says: Aug 8, 2013 3:27 PM

justintuckrule says:
    Aug 8, 2013 12:56 PM
    Here we go….100+ comments bashing Tiki with no substance.

They summarize as follows:

From a knowledgeable Giants’ fan.
    ___________________________________

More like “self-entitled Giants Fan”. Look up your own posts.

Tiki did have a nice career, but they were better without him. 2 super bowls are hard to argue against, but I have a feeling you will try ……again.

Read his quotes in the article again. HIS meeting room? Really? The fact that his says things like that so off the cuff, what do you think he does in private?

The 2006 Phillies traded away one of the best hitters they have had in the last 2-2.5 decades in Bobby Abreu, and they went to the playoff the following year, and won a WS the year after that. Because Abreu was entrenched with the team, and prevented the likes of Rollins, Utley, and Howard from putting their stamp on the team. I don’t care where you “knowledge” comes from, but this point has been made by many on the team.

The closer you are to the team, the more you are in denial of the circumstance. Tiki didn’t think he was a problem, and aparently neither do you.

Both are wrong.

102. bullcharger says: Aug 8, 2013 3:30 PM

Tiki = Selfish loser. Ronde = Selfless winner. How could twins be that different?

The Giants won as soon as they got rid of him. Tiki took the “highway” and Coughlin got the rings for the team doing it “my way”

Tiki could have been a great media guy too and he blew that. He had the right look, the right style and the right experience, but it seems he was too selfish and arrogant to succeed.

103. jayniner says: Aug 8, 2013 3:39 PM

How many will actually say they didn’t love them some Tiki Barber when he was on their fantasy team from 2004-2006?

104. roadtrip3500 says: Aug 8, 2013 3:50 PM

———–
    In 95% of the jobs in the US (including radio, Tiki…), that attitude will get you fired – and in some cases, killed.

105. justintuckrule says: Aug 8, 2013 4:04 PM

@davereckon – Thank you very much for making a substantive argument against Tiki. Something more than just “go away a-h” is very refreshing.

You make this statement…..”As far as “allowing Eli to grow”, the sports landscape is littered with stories to the contrary. Locker room layers like Tiki PREVENT growth of younger players, by dominating the locker room. It is easier for a QB to grow as a PLAYER, when there are 8-9 in the box. But it is IMPOSSIBLE to grow as a LEADER with a guy like him around.”

Your “leader” argument has merit. I can’t really argue against that. The one thing I can say is that I’d rather have a “player” than a “leader” and I bet there are a good 20 teams in the league that would rather have a QB that can play over one that could lead. For instance, Mark Sanchez walks around with a “C” on his jersey. Can he play? One of the reasons I argue is that he lost his running game that allowed him early on to show promise. Without that lightning rod, teams can show him all kinds of looks that he simply can’t navigate.

As for Abreu – when he left the Phils and joined the Yanks, they won a W.S. with him in ’09. He was a big contributor and factor on that team. As such, I think you missed the boat with this argument.

As for “his meeting room”, he is referring to the RBs meeting room. Quick…name one other RB from 01-06. It actually was his meeting room. You’re making an issue where there is none.

Finally, I never said that Tiki wasn’t a problem. In fact, I admitted he was a lockerroom head case. However, 7 years have passed since he retired. In that time, LT has banged an underage prostitute yet he’s still revered. Isn’t it time for people to move on???

106. donmcg2012 says: Aug 8, 2013 4:24 PM

Just shut up Tiki, you’re no longer relevant with the NFL, they won when you left, you suck on tv trying to play analyst, and you’re a whiner, just shut up.

107. briguy5 says: Aug 8, 2013 4:28 PM

Is the total f-bomb count anything like the total medal count?

108. mogogo1 says: Aug 8, 2013 4:29 PM

Gotta give Tiki credit for being thorough. Most people burn the bridges and that’s the end of it. But Tiki comes back every few months to throw bombs in the chasms where the bridges once stood, just to be sure.

109. blackhawks2010 says: Aug 8, 2013 4:31 PM

Barber leaves, they win the Super Bowl twice. Shut up Tiki, your overrated and an egomaniac. Move on

110. wolfhe2013 says: Aug 8, 2013 4:40 PM

I completely agree with the “Tiki leaving allowed Eli to grow” argument. The 2006 year was a miserable one for Giants – Tiki was center of attention, team leader, yet he had announced that it was his last year in order to get the storm of media attention flowing his way. How does a real leader comport himself, pretend to be leader, when he announces he’s outa-here when he still has some tread left on the tire. I submit that it was not only Tiki leaving that allowed Eli to be a leader, but the specific comments that Tiki made upon leaving, ridiculing Eli at his absurd attempts to lead. Tiki threw down the gauntlet and Eli responded, picked it up and slapped him in the face with it.

One other excellent player that was an example of addition by subtraction of a negative, was old # 80 J Shockey. Eli had probably his worst game as a pro (except that awful Ravens game in his rookie year) in that 2007 season against the Vikings when he threw like 12 INTs, with several returned for TDs. Two of those INTs were because Shockey ran the wrong routes and made the wrong. Eli may have forced some balls to him because he was such a pain-in-the-a$$ demanding the ball on every play. When Shockey broke his leg at the end of the season, Eli grew into the unquestioned leader of the offense and the team and the rest, as they say is history.

111. dalvar1001 says: Aug 8, 2013 4:54 PM

Tom is still coaching and has two super bowl rings since he lost your sorry ass. You hosed your wife and kids and have turned to living in the past. Good luck

112. boyshole25 says: Aug 8, 2013 4:59 PM

Tom coughlin is the pride of Waterloo ny. It’s his way tiki ta tomm coughlinnnn!!!!!!!

113. whatjusthapped says: Aug 8, 2013 5:09 PM

Was this before or after he starting banging the Network Intern with a pregnant wife at home?

Idiot.

114. gametime49er says: Aug 8, 2013 6:07 PM

I don’t quite understand all of the hate directed at Tiki Barber. They posed a question to him, and he provided an honest answer. Many fans complain when players tend to go for the pc or cliche natured comment. Once a player is more candid and sincere about his views or past experiences everyone feels the need to lambast said player. I don’t take Barber’s comments as if he took a shot at Coughlin at all.

Not a Giants fan.

115. hawkstradamus says: Aug 8, 2013 6:46 PM

Tiki is locker room cancer. Right after he took his toys and went home Eli emerged as a leader and the giants won two lombardies. He probably hasn’t made the connection
    If this bum hadn’t played in New York, we wouldn’t have to hear a word from him.

116. djstat says: Aug 8, 2013 6:58 PM

Funny everyone loved tiki in 2006. Ever since he stopped playing and started talking, only ronde likes him

117. playbookofeli says: Aug 8, 2013 7:36 PM

Tiki and ronde are like the movie “twins”. Ronde is Arnold and tiki is Danny devito

118. gurnblanstonreturns says: Aug 9, 2013 1:04 AM

Facing the imminent enshrinement of his Super Bowl-winning twin into the Hall of Fame, Tiki must figure that a boorish tool like himself can get in too if he makes enough idiotic, foolish, self-centered comments in the media – heck, it worked for cris carter.

119. filthymcnasty1 says: Aug 9, 2013 6:30 AM

In retrospect it sure looks like Tiki needed Tom more than Tom needed Tiki.

120. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 9, 2013 3:23 PM

Couglin=Barney Phife

121. faaast1 says: Aug 15, 2013 6:37 PM

Tiki & Donovan, Donovan & Tiki…
    There must be a punchline here, somewhere.