Packers backup quarterbacks fail to step up

AP

The Packers want a competent understudy to quarterback Aaron Rodgers.  They’ll still waiting for signs from competence from the guys they have.

As explained by Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the three candidates to become the No. 2 quarterback provided a “parade of mediocrity and ineptness” on Friday night against the Cardinals.

Graham Harrell, who got the first chance to play after Rodgers, threw an interception and lost a fumble.  The backup in 2012, Harrell exited to, per Silverstein, a chorus of boos.

But at least Harrell completed 12 of 19 passes, even if the throws gained only 76 yards.  The next two completed three of 10 for 22 yards.  Combined.

Vince Young actually played before B.J. Coleman, an ominous development for the guy who not long ago seemed to be in line for the backup job.

Coleman now looks to be the odd man out, and he seems to realize it.

“I knew it going in,” Coleman said regarding his spot on the depth chart.  “I could see it in practice.  I worked with Vince all week helping him learn the offense and get comfortable.

“I think Vince is a very smart guy, that’s something he doesn’t get credit for.  He did what he was asked to do and now he’ll expand on that.”

When that happens, Coleman and Harrell could both be gone when the roster contracts.

99 responses to “Packers backup quarterbacks fail to step up

1. “The Packers want a competent understudy to quarterback Aaron Rodgers. They’ll still waiting for signs from competence from the guys they have.”

Speaking of competence, can we get a competent writer?

2. harrell has no excuse, he has been a back up and going through the qb school for 3 years now. he got blitzed and sacked in the 3rd quarter and should’ve change the protection or the play, but didn’t. pack got lucky last year rodgers didn’t go down, if we keep harrell as our backup the season will be over if rodgers goes down for any length of time. on the plus side baktari looked good, a couple of mistakes but he played better than newhouse.

3. Now I understand why they are fast-tracking Vince Young. The other two guys are terrible. They have absolutely no instinctive decision-making skills. They better get this part of the process taken care of soon, as well as the D-backs, and the LB’s, and O-line, and the run game, and the kicking game, but that’s all.

4. Coleman calling Vince Young “a very smart guy”…..doesn’t say much for Coleman’s smarts! With the Packer’s offensive line woes, and as much as Rodgers was sacked last year, the Pack better pray that Rodgers doesn’t get hurt.

5. We Packers fans try to be an optimistic bunch, but sadly, I believe the truth is that the Packers situation will be quite dire if Aaron Rodgers should get hurt.

Fortunately, he appears to be like a Timex watch, where he can take a liking, but keep on ticking.

6. I’m more concerned about the lack of defensive push and poor secondary play.

They look like the same defense that lost in SF last year.

7. I agree, all three looked pretty bad. Young had 2 good runs, otherwise was awful. The only positives I can take away from the game are Rodgers looks great, Johnny Jolly showed signs of dominance and Tyrone Walker will earn a WR spot with plays like that.

8. I knew that The Packers were in for a very long night when I saw all the people who weren’t playing. im not all that concerned about the team as long as they start getting the players back. Both starting receivers out, top 2 running backs on the depth chart out. Both starting corners out.

9. Vince Young is a gamer in a new offense after a year off, and I think Green Bay made a shrewd move signing him. He’ll only improve over the course of the season as he gets comfortable.

10. Ted Thompson is a genius? My gosh, the brainwashing is starting to wear off. Quick, tell me about ancient championships that have no bearing on today’s failure of a team. Tell me how buying ‘stock’ is awesome!

11. “I think Vince is a very smart guy”

Well, this statement tells you all you need to know about B.J. Coleman.

Last night’s game was a joke. It’s time for the Packers to quit screwing around and find a backup QB who can actually play. VY is not the answer, and Harrell’s level of suckage is almost Ponder-like.

12. I totally disagree and didn’t read the article only the headline.

First, how can you expect something from nothing. Coleman, Harrel and Yound would not make the practice squads of any of the 31 other teams.

They are not talented period. They have nothing to give. IF Rogers goes down, this team should just mail it in.

Don’t just blame them however, again 18 people sat out the game. Our top savior and number one pick played one play, got hurt and left the game.

Again the safeties and corners looked awful and gave up a ton of yardage to the mighty cardinals 2,3 and 4 quarterbacks.

At least I can stand justified. I said after their draft this team would be 0-5 and 6-10 at best this year.
    I don’t see them proving me wrong yet.

13. Graham Harrell has no excuses, for all the talk of McCarthy’s ability to develop QB’s, you would think 3 years is enough time to display just an average level of play.

If I were the GM or coach, I’d cut Harrell today and bring anybody in off the street. At least the next signing would hold out the hope of potential, Harrell has none.

14. Maybe if B.J. Coleman can’t make it as the 3rd string qb,he can work as a salesman around Green Bay@sell all u cheese heads some of that fake stock !

15. Sooner or later, Green Bay’s 3 consecutive decades of Top 5, Hall of Fame level Quarterbacking has to come to an end. Other than the law of gravity, the only other law that is tougher to break is the law of averages

A whole generation of curd pounding, polish sausage eating fans which has known only Favre and Rodgers will have to face reality, which for most teams is looking at a group like Harrell, Coleman and VY and having to pick a starter out of that bunch.

16. If Vince Young has indeed matured (hopefully lost his sense of entitlement after being ignored for an entire year) and is willing to put the work in to actually learn the playbook and study film like a real QB, Packers fans will be pleasantly surprised by what happens if Rodgers gets hurt. Even his experience with the Wonderlic was foreshadowing. When Vince didn’t study, he got a 6–one of the lowest scores ever. When they gave him a do-over, and he studied for a couple days, Vince more than doubled his first score with a 14. His football instincts are undeniable–just look at the way he’s always been completely different (even stunning) in late-game comeback attempts. That was the one thing he consistently did well for my Titans. Good luck, Packers fans.

17. Matt Flynn looked awful in Oakland last night, got creamed on the second play and coughed it up. The irony is that both Flynn and Harrel look identical in size, arm stregth and height.
    Is that how Ted and Mac pick people, they want them to look alike, act alike, so its easier to coach.

18. Not sure if its fair to really have any comments about Young’s game last night. I have never played football, but I imagine that it would be difficult to get the playbook down in just a few days.

19. contra74 says: Aug 10, 2013 10:12 AM

————————————————-

Does 2010 Championship considered “ancient”?

“Tell me how buying “stock” is awesome” = Go look at Lambeau Fields south end zone now

So…what do you have to brag again over the Packers? I don’t get it. Wouldn’t 13 “ancient” championships be better than 0 (or 1 NFL “title” in 1969 I suppose)

20. Contra, Hilarious! I always laugh when Queens fans whine about the Packers fans bringing up all the Championships!
    Hey, are you guys over the parade for making the playoffs last year??

21. Chances are, not one of these Quarterbacks will even get a chance to step on the field during the regular season, Rodgers is pretty damn reliable. If however, something does happen to Aaron Rodgers, and one of these three need to supplant him, the season is over.

Harrell will probably end up with the position, but Young will stick around for at least the first few games to help prepare for the 49ers and Seahawks. After that, depending on how effective Young is in helping the team will be the decision maker on keeping or cutting him.

22. VY is a great athlete but a terrible QB. The gimmick offense they ran in college doesn’t help him in the pros. For him to be successful in the pros, he HAS to switch positions. He is NOT a NFL QB. Why he hasn’t been converted to a WR is beyond me. Or maybe because he can’t learn it. I’m surprised he even got resigned.

23. joshtanney says:
    Aug 10, 2013 10:35 AM
    =========================
    VY’s main problem has always been between his ears. He couldn’t get a playbook down if you gave him 5 years. No one doubts his athleticisim but there’s one reason why he has never made it with any team……his Wunderlich didn’t lie.

24. It hurt to hear the one coach say we have 9 guys who should all be on a 53 man roster. The defense to me looked the same as last year. Hopefully that improves after pre season

25. filthymcnasty1 says:
    Aug 10, 2013 10:33 AM
    QB ratings from last night:

Rodgers – 103.8
    Harrell – 49.5
    Young – 42.4
    Coleman – 39.6

Ponder – 35.4
    —-
    LOL the desperation is thick out of Green Bay! Quick, the Packers suck so let’s find something to deflect attention away. Ponder threw 2 passes. One a completion and the other an INT off of his receivers hands. Ponder is fine, worry about your O-line and everything else.

26. Say what you want about AP being the entire offense of my Vikes but the loss of him would pale in comparison to the pack losing Rodgers.
    Also, I agree with some pack fans that its time to retire the ‘worthless stock’ comments. Only makes Vikings fans seem desperate for insults. Kind of like ‘noodle arm’ or 0 championships. We can all be a little more clever than that.

27. filthymcnasty1 says: Aug 10, 2013 9:34 AM

Man, that was brutal. Those guys looked almost as bad as that noodle armed Ponder chick out there.
    _______________________

Why so grumpy? Did Mom by the wrong flavor of Hot Pockets again?

28. That Packer debacle shows what a hapless, tasteless season is coming for the hapless, tasteless Packer fans.

29. contra74, you’re telling us to worry about our own team, yet you are the one on a Packers thread talking trash. At least you’re an amusing troll.

You must be ecstatic to see Greg Jennings paying immediate dividends.

30. About as sad a Pacer game as there has been. Yeah, it was preseason, but they looked pathetic except for the Rodgers drive. Still no pass defense, tackeling was pathetic. Long ways to go…

31. Packers were lucky last year playing without a net with Harrell as backup QB and giving up 51 sacks on Rodgers.

With the O-line set to be just as bad- or worse- this year, getting a decent backup should be a priority.

On the other hand, if Rodgers goes down, the Packers are done- no matter who the back-up is.

32. So a interception and a fumble in a pre-season game will get you slammed in GB, it is football! The first team could not even score on a 2 yard drive…….. Graham Harrell should be a little disappointed but I think he was not the only guy out there. Well in one week it will all be different maybe you will want to go get Favre.

33. I can only hope Matt Flynn gets let go by the Raiders. I would love to have him back in Green Bay, backing up Aaron Rodgers again in a heartbeat!

34. Greg jumped on the ship to contribute & more so be a leader. Something that he could not of done because a certain première diva Qb in cheeseland holds the detergent to the Maytag brainwasher.

35. That noodle armed Ponder chick got benched for incompetence after throwing 2 passes last night.

The hapless and tasteless Viking fans are looking forward to adding another layer of dust to the bottom of their trophy case.

36. Once again our favorite cheeser commenter feels the Freudian-like need to mention a certain Viking’s QB in every post. I wonder if he also has a poster of said QB on his bedroom ceiling to drool over every night?

37. filthymcnasty1 says:
    Aug 10, 2013 12:42 PM

—-
    Packers started off their preseason by putting up zero points. Ouch.

38. purpleguy says:
    Aug 10, 2013 12:46 PM
    Once again our favorite cheeser commenter ……….

********************************************

Sounds like perhaps you have a poster of me.

I’d like to welcome my newest disciple to my nasty flock.

39. contra74 says:

Packers started off their preseason by putting up zero points. Ouch.
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

And the 49ers only scored 6 points and were unable to get into the endzone. I guess you can stick a fork in them, too. Or can you possibly fathom the fact that the starters only played one possession, so it really doesn’t mean squat?

40. filthymcnasty1 says:Aug 10, 2013 12:56 PM

purpleguy says:
    Aug 10, 2013 12:46 PM
    Once again our favorite cheeser commenter ……….

********************************************

Sounds like perhaps you have a poster of me.

I’d like to welcome my newest disciple to my nasty flock.

_______________________________________________________

Purpleguy…you fed the troll… I’m with you though. Look nasty, I understand a trolls gonna troll, and iv noticed you on EVERY vikings story but cmon man, your just being lazy now. At least some of the other trolls (GB and MN) can get me to chuckle now and then while the rest of us actually discuss football. Try harder.
    now, off my soapbox and I ban myself from mentioning trolls for at least a week.
    Stay healthy Rodgers, the pack and Vikes have a couple good showdowns coming this year

41. QB ratings from last night:

Rodgers – 103.8
    Harrell – 49.5
    Young – 42.4
    Coleman – 39.6

Ponder – 35.4

**********************************************

That’s all it took to make the maggots squirm.

Ponder apologists are funny. The incompetent Speildope couldn’t draft a QB to save his mother’s life.

42. Well this might be the year to need a backup with a very compromised OL. And they are pretty weak in that department, although getting somebody who can rush a little instead of having to rely on pure passing is a nice bonus so it was a really smart pickup to get Young and give him a shot. I’m just annoyed that nobody else in the NFL grabbed Young first and now he can be used against my team.

43. Come on fellow Packers fans, it was the first pre-season game! Let’s hold off until at least the end of the third game before harshly judging the future Super-Bowl Champs! Vikings fans: anything you say is irrelevant! Ha, the Vikings, a place for unwanted Packer players.

44. Now you know why elite QBs like Rodgers and not Ponder are paid so much. Teams know that the drop off can kill an entire offense and a season.

45. That game was about as pathetic as it gets for the Packers but there were a few new guys who showed they could play.

I bet if Harrell got the entire starting offense to work with like he would if Rodgers went down he would play a little better than he did so all hope isn’t lost but man he did little to nothing to win that backup job in the game.

If next week is more of the same then people may want to start to panic a little bit. This team reminds me of the Colts with Peyton Manning, as long as he was healthy and playing they were good enough to make the playoffs almost every year but not good enough to go very far in the playoffs.

46. ANY backup to #12 is a huge down grade!! Who is going to win the SB with a backup QB?

Patriots.. 2001.. Tom Brady

47. “We had the biggest drop off in the 90s with Favre and Jim McMahon, history repeats. Hope VY seizes his opportunity.”

You literally have no idea what you are talking about.

You got Mcmahon fresh off being the starting QB for the Vikings in which he won nearly every game he was healthy enough to start.

If anything one could argue he was one of the best back ups you ever had.

48. Packers didnt look so good last night. O-line couldnt open a lane.
    Starks was working hard as he could and still couldnt get threw the line. Rodgers played in this game and the Packers had Zero points.

49. Too bad that Brown kid got hurt before camp started. At least he would have offered the possibility of future competence. Harrell is just awful, and the other guys can’t beat him out, which tells you all you need to know about them. I hope that McCarthy doesn’t honestly believe any longer the “Graham has really improved” spiel that he’s been reciting for the last two years.
    Ted – past time to find someone who can come in and at least give the Pack a chance if called upon.

50. Vike’s will be fortunate to go 8 – 8 this year. I’m a Packers guy and only see them going 10 – 6 at best and winning the NFC North. NFC North is pulling a tough schedule this year, against NFC East and AFC North.

Yes we need a competent back up QB. I see Harrell being released, Coleman back to the practice squad. Vince, if he can grasp the playbook he has a good chance. He will be great for our scout team as he can run the pistol in practice or in an actual game if the situation is right. Otherwise, Ted picks up a career back up from the waiver wire.

51. If the Packers, and I’m not a betting man but would put money on it, released Harrell, Coleman today they would not be picked up by one team. Of all the games I saw yesterday, backups looked pretty good. Albeit they played against second stringers but they still looked decent. With the exception of the two mentioned above.

One other common thread, Matt Flynn, former Packer, looked awful in his first start. He will be sitting on the bench before the second game of the season, that’s if he starts.

52. PS Packers, The Cardinals who beat you in your house by 17 unanswered points, have a whopping 51 new players on their team. They should have looked awful, out of sinc and easy pickings. Instead they looked polished, well coached and ready to play some football.

53. chi01town says:
    Aug 10, 2013 3:52 PM
    Packers didnt look so good last night. O-line couldnt open a lane.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fair enough, but Rodgers was on the field for one possession for an entire 4 minutes and 10 seconds. Had Rodgers played the entire game, there’s NO DOUBT points would have been put on the board.

That said, the backup QBs looked horrible, and there were some drops, so the Packers do have work to do.

As a Bears fan, you should probably worry about that split locker room down in Chi town. That kind of thing has been a season killer for years!

54. golforepar says:
    Aug 10, 2013 10:43 AM
    Hey, are you guys over the parade for making the playoffs last year??

—————————————————————————————————————————————————— they don’t do parade’s, they put on those blonde wigg’s and go out to an all you can eat buffet. they celebrate with syrup and jelly tossing each other’s salad! see in Minnesota if it looks like a chick than it’s better than the farm animal they have at home.

55. To be fair, the second and third string receivers didn’t do to well holding on to the ball either. Their were quite a few drops.

56. Like every team has a solid back up guy on the roster. Be realistic about it. There are like 15 bonifide starting QBs in the NFL. That is it. About half the teams have a guy under center that belongs in the NFL. The rest of the teams have back up guys starting. So, there is hardly a large pool of good QBs to choose from. Your back up QB is not very good, or he would be starting somewhere.

Anyay, there are no teams in the NFL that have the comfort of having a back up being able to win games for the team. If their starters go down, it usually means their season is done. That is how it works 99% of the time.

As far as GB goes. Not one of their back up guys is any good. I guess they fit in with the rest of the league.

57. shlort says:
    Aug 10, 2013 5:59 PM

—–

LOL guess u don’t really watch NFL football.
    CKap started last year as a backup that 90% of NFL fans never heard of. Then he jumped in mid-season to lead the team to the Superbowl!
    But yeeah backups are soooooo irrelevant.

58. GenXJay says:
    Aug 10, 2013 12:37 PM

Greg jumped on the ship to contribute & more so be a leader.

(Something that he could not of done because a certain première diva Qb in cheeseland holds the detergent to the Maytag brainwasher)
    ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

He had every opportunity to be the team leader in Green Bay, but the fact he was a receiver and not the QB would forever relegate him to second place, especially in GB. You can leave diva out of the equation. It’s called “the natural order.”

Jennings may have gone to Minnesota to leapfrog that condition and take immediate hold of the reins, because of the lack of a diva…..errrr…..I mean top tiered QB. In my opinion, if the Vikings succeed beyond expectations, again, it will be because of Matt Cassel and Jennings….as difference-makers…..with Peterson carrying his share at about 75% of last year, which should be more than enough.

I am a Packer fan and I approve this message.

59. contra74 says:
    Aug 10, 2013 10:12 AM
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Quick…..here it is…….1) the accumulative championships have made this team the dynasty that it is. It makes you feel good about yourself without relying on hope and anger (look in mirror) all the time….because we’ve seen it and lived it. The feelings we have are from memories….yours are from dreams. There’s a huge difference.

2) Better than your authentic NFL Moss jersey. It’s not real. It’s a knock -off. And cost about the same as stock. Ours looks smarter hanging on the wall than your jersey.

60. allday28mvpmvp says:
    Aug 10, 2013 6:51 PM

LOL guess u don’t really watch NFL football.
    But yeeah backups are soooooo irrelevant.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That i such an excellent point. Everyone that knows football knows that CKap is the norm rather than the exception. There are easily 60-80 Super Bowl-worthy QBs out there.

OK, sarcasm class is over.

61. allday28mvpmvp says: Aug 10, 2013 6:48 PM

Once that baid-aid on the O-line falls off and Rodgers takes one hit too many, its over.
    By week 3 the Packers could be the Browns

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

or they could just be the Packers…a team that has won 17 of the last 18 division games!

keep dreaming queen fans…some day you may actually become relevant.

62. But I thought the Packers recievers could make ANY QB look good?

Does this mean that maybe – just maybe… Aaron Rodgers is good at his job?

Does this mean Matt Flynn is actually good and just happened to be on the same roster as Rodgers and Wilson?

63. allday28mvpmvp says:Aug 10, 2013 6:51 PM

shlort says:
    Aug 10, 2013 5:59 PM

—–

LOL guess u don’t really watch NFL football.
    But yeeah backups are soooooo irrelevant.
    ______________________________

What an idiot you are “allday”. I said 99% of the time. That means there are exceptions to what I wrote. Kaepernick came in and did great last year. How about before that? Do we have to go all te way back to Tom Brady? That is the last two I think of that stand out, and Kaepernick is not s shoe in for the hall of fame just yet.

You can take what I wrote for what it is worth, or you can pretend you are so smart about everything and give me examples of teams that have a back up QB that can step in and win games if needed. I bet you can’t think of one team that would ot be screwed if their starter went down.

Oh, you can also look at the ratings for QBs. You’ll find that about half are only good enough to be back ups, but the reality is that there just aren’t enough good QBs to have all 32 teams with a viable guy under center. The Vikings come to mind when I think about bad QBs starting.

64. contra74 says:
    Aug 10, 2013 11:39 AM
    filthymcnasty1 says:
    Aug 10, 2013 10:33 AM
    QB ratings from last night:

Rodgers – 103.8
    Harrell – 49.5
    Young – 42.4
    Coleman – 39.6

Ponder – 35.4
    —-
    ___________________________________
    The only thing the Vikings have going for them is there’s no drop off from Ponder to Cassel.
    Essentially they both suck.