Riley Cooper: I didn’t pay attention to the fans

Patriots quarterback Tebow greets the Eagles receiver Cooper after NFL preseason football game in Philadelphia Pennsylvania Reuters

Eagles receiver Riley Cooper says he doesn’t know whether fans booed or cheered him in the preseason opener, which came nine days after video surfaced of Cooper using a racial slur.

Cooper caught one pass for 19 yards, and he said afterward that he was told the fans cheered him then. But he says he was blocking out the crowd noise and therefore doesn’t know if the fans in Philly are supporting him.

I didn’t pay attention,” Cooper said, via CSNPhilly.com. “I know I had that one catch and people said it was a good reaction.”

The home team’s fans will always cheer the player who’s helping their team, so any time Cooper makes a 19-yard catch, he can expect to hear cheers in Philadelphia. A bigger question is how Cooper will be treated when he plays on the road.

Cooper did say that he was glad to be back on the field after a week and a half in which he was sent away from the team for a few days after he became the subject of intense scrutiny and harsh criticism.

“I felt great,” he said.

That’s something Cooper hasn’t been able to say very much over the last week and a half.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
46 Responses to “Riley Cooper: I didn’t pay attention to the fans”
  1. 76seahawk says: Aug 10, 2013 2:34 PM

You made the team look how dismal your WR corps are…

2. egomaniac247 says: Aug 10, 2013 2:40 PM

He had a nice 1st down catch last night and I couldn’t tell if the fans were booing or saying “Coooop” like the Green Bay fans do for Kuhn..

It sounded like the latter – it was mixed with applause.

3. gumbogumbo says: Aug 10, 2013 2:41 PM

They’re not booing they’re yelling Cooooooooper!

4. ialdrich1214 says: Aug 10, 2013 2:46 PM

This guy will get the treatment LeBron received in 2010. Only Reilly will deserve it.

5. eaglesbar says: Aug 10, 2013 2:48 PM

we still love you big guy even tho ur a bit hick

6. beerbudsnbevo says: Aug 10, 2013 2:51 PM

Get over it already

7. swaggyy says: Aug 10, 2013 2:53 PM

Tims like “yeahhh boi, Hernandez in prison, you are a racist, and I suck at football. Go Gators.”

8. thingamajig says: Aug 10, 2013 2:55 PM

Fans have moved on, when’s the media?

9. eatitfanboy says: Aug 10, 2013 3:01 PM

If you had just returned from a mission to outer space and heard nothing of the whole controversy and simply watched the game last night, you would never had known anything happened.

There was no booing or extraordinarily loud cheering. There were no cheap shots taken at him, or excessive trash talking incidents from opposing players. No one appeared to confront him before or after the game. (I am working under the assumption that the cameras would have seized upon any incidents had they occurred).

So apparently NFL players and fans are more capable of keeping things in proper perspective than the media gives them credit for. Riley Cooper’s career isn’t over, and no one is going to try and kill him on the field.

Can we just move on now?

10. isithockeyseasonyet says: Aug 10, 2013 3:11 PM

I was at the game, nobody really boo’d when he made the catch. Some people cheered and some people just sat there. Time to move on was last week but I guess now would do. The players seem to be behind him, therefore, I am. His teammates are the ones who have to deal w them so if they can move past this, so should we all.

11. edawg7l says: Aug 10, 2013 3:14 PM

ANOTHER article on a guy who was moved up the depth chart due to injury and said one stupid thing. Hopefully, when the season begins, the media will have their hands full with real stories.

12. philliampenn says: Aug 10, 2013 3:19 PM

Do we seriously have to have a booing story every month about Philadelphia?

13. rdrs68 says: Aug 10, 2013 3:19 PM

No worries Riley you got Tblow praying for you!

14. rukkus1 says: Aug 10, 2013 3:22 PM

Well said Eatitfanboy

The sports media and the regular media which owns them are worthless. The world would be better off with just independent journalism instead of this corporate owned bunch of talking heads.

15. rjth2012 says: Aug 10, 2013 3:24 PM

Desparate media!!! The fans have moved on at least a week ago and so did the players. Not the media isn’t that funny??? Stunner!

16. msclemons67 says: Aug 10, 2013 3:31 PM

I was surprised when the Eagles brought in a convicted felon. I was disappointed when they allowed a deadbeat dad to stay on the team. But this? A guy who said a bad word?

I can’t accept this.

17. helix828 says: Aug 10, 2013 3:32 PM

Clearly no one in the media ever got drunk and said something dumb that they regret. Clearly.

I know you people think ” a page view is a page view”…but it really isn’t.

18. swaggyy says: Aug 10, 2013 3:49 PM

^Dude its the internet. Honestly what do you expect.

19. craniator says: Aug 10, 2013 3:52 PM

I guess we can cue up all the “Tebow is a racist ’cause he’s shaking hands with Cooper” comments now.

20. northstarnic says: Aug 10, 2013 3:57 PM

This story has reached the end it’s life span. Move on.

21. mikelitoris1 says: Aug 10, 2013 4:00 PM

I was there…. didn’t hear any boos.

22. bach2112 says: Aug 10, 2013 4:02 PM

Alls good Tebow prayed for him. And eggles fans booing? What he aint Santa.

23. captrtp says: Aug 10, 2013 4:02 PM

Please a drunk redneck said the n word at a country music contest. This shouldn’t even be news what a waste of 2 weeks of BS how many football players at a rap concert say the say thing and use cracker and red neck Big deal get over it it just doesn’t matter

24. gooboy6 says: Aug 10, 2013 4:09 PM

Keyshawn Johnson could learn a lot from Tebow, forgiveness will set you free…

25. packeranddarien says: Aug 10, 2013 4:09 PM

thingamajig says: Aug 10, 2013 2:55 PM

Fans have moved on, when’s the media?

Never.

Same reason the guy who runs this website won’t talk about how god awful Tebow looked last night.

It won’t piss anyone off.

26. raidadon says: Aug 10, 2013 4:30 PM

Who?

27. metalhead65 says: Aug 10, 2013 4:53 PM

wait the fans did not drown him with boos? obviously a racist crowd who all must be sent to reeducation…. sensitivity training to ensure they understand the great crime against humanity that cooper did and they supported by not expressing the proper disgust with. or they could have been there to watch a football game and are tired of hearing about this non story.

28. eaglesnoles05 says: Aug 10, 2013 5:07 PM

@captrtp- who ended up winning the country music contest?

29. theparadoxx82 says: Aug 10, 2013 5:09 PM

“The home team’s fans will always cheer the player who’s helping their team”

Plus…most probably don’t know or care about the scandal.

30. eaglesfanalways says: Aug 10, 2013 5:22 PM

Even though this story is well beyond it’s use by date, it finally is a story involving Philly fans that’s FROM THIS CENTURY!

31. orivar says: Aug 10, 2013 5:30 PM

Success changes everything. If Riley strives to become one of the best, people will for the most part forget.

32. rtpfan says: Aug 10, 2013 5:40 PM

Really??!! Let’s face it … he behaved badley.. I think we can all agree. Do we not move on? Let’s think back to our QB…. not so rosey! If Michael had class he would walk up to Riley and put his arm around him in front of the entire team and say… “I guess we’ve all made some mistakes and used bad judement at times and we all want to be forgiven”

33. nflpoker says: Aug 10, 2013 6:00 PM

It may take a while until the Cooper story goes away as far media is concerned. I think they are now talking about bringing back “Favre Watch”.

34. morrow10 says: Aug 10, 2013 6:02 PM

Who cares,he sucks

35. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 10, 2013 6:11 PM

The players of the NFL are mostly black, but the fans are overwhelmingly white. Except for their red necks. Cooper has little to worry about from that direction.

36. nflpoker says: Aug 10, 2013 6:19 PM

I am sick about all these Cooper stories. Having a root canal is probably better. ugh.

37. ninetysixer says: Aug 10, 2013 6:21 PM

I’m not an iggles fan, but I want a cooper jersey.

38. davebarnes21 says: Aug 10, 2013 6:26 PM

its a WORD!

get over it. I dont like it when I school somebody on the basketball court and hear “whiteboy” but I am not about to video tape them and then unleash it on the former “leader in sports” but now pathetic network called ESPN!

39. davebarnes21 says: Aug 10, 2013 6:28 PM

Also, I would LOVE to hear someone ask Tom Jackson, Chris Carter and Keyshawn Johnson if they have ever (themselves) used the N word.

Guarantee, if they are being honest, they have used it plenty!

40. morrow10 says: Aug 10, 2013 6:43 PM

Hes a non factor on football field

41. nflpoker says: Aug 10, 2013 7:32 PM

davebarnes21 says:
    Aug 10, 2013 6:28 PM

Guarantee, if they are being honest, they have used it plenty!
    ———————————————-
    And I bet they’ll say “But that’s different”.

42. eagles01fan says: Aug 10, 2013 7:38 PM

Get over it everyone. We know he wont ever say it again because his only catch that he had was thrown by a black guy (mike vick)

43. afcdomination says: Aug 10, 2013 7:44 PM

if he had continued and actually fought a bunch of black people specifically…but he didn’t. he made a mistake. whatever. move on!

44. abninf says: Aug 10, 2013 8:26 PM

Every fan who cheered can expect an IRS audit.

45. saints4life57 says: Aug 10, 2013 8:35 PM

I really hope he fights the fine and wins! The NFL needs to realize the huge mistake they have made!

46. cardmagnet says: Aug 10, 2013 8:42 PM

He ignored them? Must have been black fans.