Last year, the Chargers didn’t want to pay receiver Vincent Jackson a ton of money. So they signed as an alternative (and for far less cash) a presumed up-and-coming wideout from the Saints.
Before Robert Meachem’s second season even commences with the Chargers, some want to see his tenure end.
An editorial in U-T San Diego with no byline urges the Chargers to dump Meachem, who has been a disappointment to date with no signs of a looming improvement.
Meachem essentially is accused of getting paid and shutting down. The Chargers gave him $14 million guaranteed in March 2012. That total includes $5 million in guaranteed 2013 base salary.
In return, Meachem had 14 catches on 32 targets during his first year with the team.
“I did suck,” Meachem admitted on Saturday, via U-T San Diego. Given his propensity to use that word when describing his performance in 2012, maybe he should put an “S” on his chest, Bizarro Superman style.
Meachem wasn’t much better in the preseason opener, despite a perfect opportunity to vault into the starting job vacated when Danario Alexander torn an ACL.
“I was disappointed with myself,” Meachem said. “I don’t have room to get caught.”
But here’s the thing. Even if he gets caught, he still will get paid. This year, it’ll be $5 million. Whether he’s on the Chargers or not.
It could be that Meachem hasn’t gotten soft. One unnamed source told U-T San Diego that Meachem’s body is “broken down.”
Regardless, the push has begun to take the cap hit and move on from Meachem. He’s got three more preseason games to change the opinions of the local media and, most importantly, of the coaching staff.